Brad Rock: Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall should be forthright with this, too

Comments

• Buzzards LEHI, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 11:05 p.m.

I can't speak for Max now, obviously things are not great for him. But I sure remember him at BYU. He wasn't particularly big, fast, or strong armed. He WAS accurate, which may have led to his NFL downfall, because he always believed he could thread it in there, which you can do easier in college than in the pros.
    What made him a great quarterback was his love of football, and his all consuming competitiveness. Sometimes he won because he wanted to win more than the other guy. That's good in sports, not so good out there in the wide, wide, world. He's not the first good/great athlete to lose his way after his playing days were over.
    Here's hoping he can get his train back on the tracks and find a life's work that will allow him to use that fire that made him one of BYU's best, and earned him a shot in the NFL.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 2, 2014 11:38 p.m.

I think I understand what you are trying to say Brad, but be accurate. Hall wasn't a graduate assistant at BYU was he? He was a student assistant (hadn't graduated yet).

Anyway Brad, I believe saying Hall was being honest is also likely inaccurate. I think he was dishonest with himself the whole time and that lead to his premeditated rant. Maybe he was bitter and it showed. This current situation Hall is in might be traced back to then if not before.

I have seen it in my life. I have struggled with addiction and lying to myself and justifying it as being honest is the danger zone.

When Max allegedly stated he was apologizing before he made the postgame remarks is curious when combined with the confusion that he claims to have had relative to the negative sentiment after the fact. Being dishonest is like a drug in itself.

When we continually embrace negative emotion internally, it will eventually come out externally.

Hopefully now Max can climb out of the pit he has been in for many years. If he does, we will all have something to applaud him for. It will be a tough road.

• UteMiguel Go Utes, CA
    Sept. 2, 2014 11:45 p.m.

"But the arrest illustrated the point that bad things can happen, even to decent people."

There's a difference between "bad things happen" and one's own choices leading to bad consequences. No, none of us are perfect. And yes, we all make bad choices. But your comments would seem to excuse Hall from any responsibility for his current situation.

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 5:45 a.m.

Nice sentiments and advice Mr. Rock.

• Million Bluffdale, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 6:25 a.m.

Sad moment. Sometimes getting caught can help turn people around. Of course they have to walk on pins and needles dealing with the fall out from getting caught and the ramifications of being under the media microscope and dealing with the courts. Max stating this was his first time is most likely not true. Just consider it a wake up call.

• shorts Payson, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 6:29 a.m.

Very sad. He has a bad addiction I really hope he can get some help.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Sept. 3, 2014 7:01 a.m.

I think the whole idea of "hating" is ridiculous and uncalled for - whoever is saying or thinking it. These are just kids after all - someone's son or brother who happens to wear another color of jersey. If you saw them on the street, they would look just like you and me. Having been subjected to everything from funny/clever to vile comments from Ute fans over the years, I vowed I would never stoop to that level and I don't like it when Cougar fans do the same.

Utah fans are my relatives and some of my best friends. I love a good rivalry and good teasing. But "Hate" is not part of the picture nor should it be for any of us. In the end, most of us are members of the same church or lived at one time in the same state. We share the same culture.

If you've never said you hated the other team, good on you. Those who have stated their "hate" should give Max the biggest break of all.

• Jeff ls Farr West, 84404
    Sept. 3, 2014 7:36 a.m.

This kind of reminds me of years ago when the headlines read "Sunday School Teacher robs bank". Like the article said. He had not been arrested at the time of printing. But it was a story and we must print stories. Max was controversial, no doubt about it. He engaged mouth before his brain from time to time.
    This is part of the problem about athletes. They might be good, maybe even real good. But there comes a time when game day is over, and if they have not prepared for life by opening the books, they often wind up getting in trouble. Most of the time there are injuries involved, so they have drug issues, trying to deal with the pain. As fans, we all have sad stories associated with people who played at out favorite schools and won a lot of games. WE have them, Utah has them, everybody has them. This is a great example to you young people of why we need to prioritize our lives with education. The "GAME" does not last forever.
    Jeff

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 10:25 a.m.

gdog:
    Excellent comments, and I appreciate your honesty. Honesty seems to be the hardest part sometimes for the addict. In my experience usually being less than honest or unwilling to take perspective away from your own visceral emotions is a common theme with addicts and substance abusers. I don't know how far into his addiction Max is, but being honest is a step (literally step one in AA, NA, or other recovery groups) to finding peace and healing. Prayers are with you and your family Max as you navigate this difficult road.

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    Sept. 3, 2014 10:50 a.m.

I never liked him much as a player but this is a very sad situation for him and his family. I hope he finds the support he needs through his faith, family and friends to overcome his addiction.

• Eddie Would Go FPO, AE
    Sept. 3, 2014 10:58 a.m.

Read carefully Max Hall's comments in this article. Nobody should confuse him as being an enlightened individual.

Neverthelss, good luck in getting your life in order, Max!

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 11:17 a.m.

He was serious and honest about his feelings and opinions back in his playing days at Utah. He believed what he said, at the time. Hopefully he can be serious and honest with himself about the current problems he has. As a Ute fan I wish him good luck and good fortune for his future.

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    Sept. 3, 2014 11:29 a.m.

Eddie Would Go says: "Nobody should confuse him as being an enlightened individual."

Ummmm . . OK. I assume this advice comes from one who considers himself to be an "enlightened individual." Other than that take-away, I have no idea what I'm supposed to glean from your comment. Max Hall shouldn't be my own personal Buddha? I guess I can go with that. Anything else?

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 11:51 a.m.

Brad Rock, you are spot-on encouraging Max Hall to be forthright about this.

The story isn't "How Ute fans react". More important is "How Cougar fans react". As you said, this is more reality that a lot of people would like. Some would like to sweep this under the rug with a polite "I hope he gets the help he needs" and hope it is never mentioned again.

It is important for the Max Hall story to be told - not to embarrass him - but to open the conversation about addiction. Nationally, nobody cares about this story. Max Hall is just another ex-player with a problem. Locally, this strikes a chord because "one of their own" has stumbled. Max Hall is not the only LDS person to face an addiction problem. This is a great opportunity to raise the issue with neighbors and church members. How can we recognize the problem early? How can we help those affected?

Tell his story to bring light to a serious issue. File it under "Utah", "Faith", or "Family". This is more than a Sports story.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 3, 2014 2:49 p.m.

"One of the most appealing things about Max Hall was that he was honest." - Rock

-----------------

That depends, which Max?

"Last year at[Rice-Eccles Stadium], my family was spit on, had beer dumped on them and were physically assaulted on several occasions. They had to endure extremely vile comments personally attacking my wife, my mother, other family members and our religion. They had to be escorted to their car by local police." -- Max in 2009

"Growing up, I didn't like U of A," he said. ... Both his uncle and grandfather starred for the Sun Devils... My uncle and my grandpa don't really like U of A," Hall said. "Playing at ASU and being spit on and having beer spilled on them, and all that stuff. ... They're a classier program than they've been in the past." -- Max in 2008

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 3:19 p.m.

Max Hall doesn't owe us anything. Heal, brother, and take care of those closest to you. They are the ones who will see you through this.

• klepsydra Longmont, CO
    Sept. 3, 2014 3:51 p.m.

The only he needs to be forthright an honest with are himself, his spouse & family, and God. The rest of us have no right or need to know.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 4:06 p.m.

Being arrested for shoplifting may turn out to be one of the best things ever to happen to Max.

This will give him an opportunity to confront a demon that has obviously been haunting him for awhile.

Although some would like to make this a BYU vs Utah issue, I think most see this for what it really is, a personal issue/crisis for Max and his family to overcome.

Hopefully, Max will recognize this and this will become a turning point in his life.

• BillNyeTSG South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 5:04 p.m.

I would hope that this will not only be a teaching moment concerning the challenges faced by former athletes (certainly a minority of people) but that this incident will serve to open our eyes to the realities of petty criminals and drug use. I see many people giving Max Hall a pass and find myself wondering whether they would be so willing to see the human being behind other criminals. I myself am guilty of jumping to a "if you do a crime, you should do the time" mentality and have found myself moved to compassion by this incident.

Like Max, I would say most drug users involved in property crime should be given a pass to the greatest extend possible. They need help, not incarceration. I think we're all smart enough to distinguish between true criminal behavior and those acting out of desperation. The distinction is important, and our current justice system does a poor job separating the two - we focus far too much on punishment, and far too little on rehabilitation.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 3, 2014 9:47 p.m.

@USAlover
    Salt Lake City, UT

------------

I beg to differ. He owes the players, parents, and facility of the high school he was coaching at an explanation and an apology for breaking their trust.

Plus, he owes Best Buy about 250 bucks.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 4, 2014 5:14 a.m.

@Uteology

Thank you for bringing up that very telling example. I applaud the DesNews and I am grateful they did not censor you there. I have tried a number of ways in the past to say what you have said. Saying it now is NOT intended to pile on Max at all but to clear the inaccurate view of some towards Utah fans based on non-truths spoken by Mr. Hall 5 years ago. Are many Ute fans overboard? Sure. But I have been so disappointed with the local media over the years for not doing research to find out that the outlandish claims of how Hall's family was treated at RES were not true. There aren't witnesses, arrests, any evidence or video of the extreme accusations that would have come out and been validated as were other incidents, some by BYU fans at LES by the way (Whittingham's wife incident and trash thrown at refs last season). When I look back at the craziness around the rivalry game, I can't believe I am saying it, but I am glad we are taking a break from it.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Sept. 4, 2014 10:12 a.m.

Gdog:
    I love this rivalry because of the intensity and passion that it has fostered over the years. The Edwards and McBride bank commercials and golf tournaments were always fun. But it's true that this rivalry has taken a nasty turn since then which is unfortunate. The religious aspect of it only fuels the fire where some feel ostracized or judged and others feel entitled and elitist...it has gotten in the way of what the rivalry has always been up until now. It was about competition on the field and on the court with both players and coaches from each side respecting one another even if they wanted to beat one another. That's what's been lost in the rivalry: mutual respect.

I agree that the two years off should help, but I fear from comments on these boards that it will just escalate again when 2016 rolls around. I hope I'm wrong. I've decided to put away my criticisms of Utes as a fanbase, even if in jest. Blanket statements are not only inaccurate most of the time but only fuel and foster the hate.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 4, 2014 4:42 p.m.

@gdog3finally

How could DN censor it, considering that the Max Hall quotes were taken directly from Deseret News articles.

"Max Hall is going from one archrival to another. The BYU quarterback threw five interceptions and coughed up a fumble in the Cougars' 48-24 defeat in their regular-season finale at Utah. Now, Hall is looking to bounce back in the Las Vegas Bowl against Arizona... "Growing up, I didn't like U of A... Playing at ASU and being spit on and having beer spilled on [my uncle and grandfather], and all that stuff [by Arizona fans]... They're a classier program than they've been in the past"

Source:
    BYU football: Hall eager to face his 'other' rival team
    By Jeff Call
    December 10, 2008

The funny thing is Hall never mentioned, or he did and Jeff Call didn't print it, the instance of Utah fans "spitting on" and basically assaulting his family few weeks earlier, when he accused Arizona fans of doing the same thing.

But Hall isn't the issue, it's fans like Max-was-right who to this day live by his words as the truth.

• John Locke Ivins, , UT
    Oct. 4, 2014 1:27 p.m.

I don't hate Max. But, his comments hurt a lot of feelings, because it came from a great BYU QB whose team had just won a very exciting game, and not from a bench warmer; now we find out that he had planned it all along.

Afterwards, I attended a fireside in which he and another BYU player (maybe Collie) spoke. I thought he might take the opportunity to say he was sorry, but not a word.

I was also at the game, and the memory of that loss and those comments (even though he was forced to apologize by the Y administration) made by him afterwards will continue to remain with most Utah fans/grads each time they play in the future.

But, he is not the only Y or U player who allows this hatred to personally exist. All should let it go and play and enjoy the great traditions of this rivalry.

I have long forgiven Max, although I'm certain he does not know who I am, or cares, but now I do pray he is able to straighten his life and become the person Rock suggests he become.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Oct. 27, 2014 1:04 p.m.

Oh, Max--honesty is not saying on the one hand, that this had been boiling over for weeks and then--on the other hand--saying you laughed with friends about the ones who took it seriously. Of course they took you seriously. You meant it seriously and you're also not being honest when you tell folk to prepare for some heated remarks and then act like you were really surprised when it hits the fan. You weren't surprised. Mr. Rock's and Mr. Hall's takes on what is and isn't honesty is all over the place in Hall's actions and Rock's apologies for him. But then this kind of article is much easier for Mr. Rock to write than to accurately and fairly report on a big Ute win during the dog days of BYU's struggles. That--Mr. Rock--would take some real life honesty. Got it in ya?