Faith

Mormon missionary throws first pitch at Camden Yards during LDS Family Night with Orioles

Comments

• Jason Wright Woodstock, VA
    Sept. 3, 2014 7:26 a.m.

According to everyone on the field (I was watching from the stands with my family), the pitcher told Elder Burrup after the pitch, "I'll see you back here soon!" Definitely a memory that will last a lifetime. And it couldn't happen to a kinder, more humble missionary.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 7:29 a.m.

Great Story!

• DodgerDoug Salem, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 8:01 a.m.

Can't wait to see that 90 mph fastball in Provo!!!! Keep up the great work Elder!

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Sept. 3, 2014 8:53 a.m.

Another reason I love the Orioles.

• NT SomewhereIn, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 9:50 a.m.

Nice article! Thanks for serving, Elder Burrup!

Frank Robinson, Boog Powell, Brooks Robinson...those were the days (not to overlook Jackie Robinson, Jim Palmer, Cal Ripken Jr and others)

• taatmk West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 9:56 a.m.

Wonderful story and a wonderful young man!

• AndrewP Sandy, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 11:00 a.m.

I'm curious how Elder Burrup was selected to throw the opening pitch. Did someone in the Orioles organization know his story? Did his mission president arrange for it? It's cool that he got to do it, but I'm just wondering how it came to be. Does anyone know?

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 11:09 a.m.

Awesome!

• Jason Wright Woodstock, VA
    Sept. 3, 2014 11:14 a.m.

@AndrewP

The mission was able to suggest someone and the team loved Elder Burrup's story. We just wish they would have let him throw a 90 MPH fastball :)

• Michele Calderon Baltimore, MD
    Sept. 3, 2014 12:39 p.m.

@AndrewP Just to add to Jason Wright's explanation, LDS Night with the Orioles is hosted by the Baltimore Stake, and because they sell so many tickets, the Orioles allow them to choose who will throw the first pitch. It's interesting because Elder Burrup is so humble that he has never told anyone in the mission about his skills, but his Mission President knew, and that's how it all fell into place.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 2:04 p.m.

What a wonderful young man, truly a role model in today's turbulent world.

• Benderman1 Layton, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 2:31 p.m.

This is a fantastic story. Great Job, D-News!

• Scores Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 3, 2014 3:10 p.m.

I have watched Elder Burrup play many a game against his foes from the Idaho Falls area. It was a challenge because if he was pitching, you knew if you had a chance, you had to keep it close. When he was hitting, and I mean hitting because he would get on base with a hit almost every time. It's good to see him serving as a missionary. He's a huge "get" for the BYU Baseball team.

• Dawni Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 3:39 p.m.

These are the kinds of stories we like to read!

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 4:26 p.m.

I wonder who told the Mission President about his baseball merits. Glad to see the "good word" is getting around in more ways than one!

It was great to further see that he is going to attend BYU. Great story.

Go Cougars!

• ed in atl Duluth, GA
    Sept. 3, 2014 4:44 p.m.

Excellent job Elder Burrup!! Wait to serve the Lord! Awesome story.

• Northwest Coug Pasco, WA
    Sept. 4, 2014 1:11 p.m.

I'm a huge Orioles fan. Where can I get one of those ties?

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Sept. 4, 2014 10:01 p.m.

I served in the Washington D.C. Mission in the '70s when Baltimore was in the mission. The Orioles had a Mormon Night even back then. I gave my Mission Pres a ride to the game in the old Memorial Stadium. Jim Palmer pitched for the Orioles that night, but they got beat by the Twins.

• Eyes_Wide_Open OREM, UT
    Sept. 5, 2014 12:04 p.m.

Great Story Des. News Thank you! Go Orioles and Go Cougs! And Go Elder Burrup - what a stud!

• Dan Maloy Enid, OK
    Sept. 5, 2014 7:20 p.m.

Now THAT was a cool story!

Work hard, Elder!, both in the mission field and on the baseball field and God will bless you forever.

Good luck!