BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable depth-chart changes

Comments

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Sept. 1, 2014 11:01 p.m.

Have the Cougs ever had two deep at Corners and Safety, where you could feel confident that any of the eight players could get the job done with very little drop off? Johnson is very good, so to get beat out, Davis must be a notch above.

Looking forward to Saturday!

• Not Much of a Fan OC, CA
    Sept. 2, 2014 12:46 a.m.

Can't overstate the importance of the Texas game.

• Hank Jr Draper, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 9:10 a.m.

The Coug's would be better on defense if they disguised and used the 'bump and run' on occasion. Their corners play back too deep and they suffer the consequences as a result. Try mixing it up so you can confuse the offense. Trust me, it works.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Sept. 2, 2014 9:16 a.m.

"There were some of them (penalties) that actually made me smile.” I love Bronco, he is a great coach and man!

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 9:28 a.m.

The Cougars sound realistically confident this season, as opposed to past years. I love it!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 9:44 a.m.

Go Texas!

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 9:54 a.m.

@ Johnny Triumph

When has BYU not sounded confident about any season? They've been poised to make another run at the tile every single year for the past 29 years now.

• Linus Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 10:05 a.m.

"There were some of them (penalties) that actually made me smile.” (Bronco)

I can one-up that. There were some penalties called that actually made me laugh. There were penalties called that were a joke, and who doesn't laugh at a good joke. I would take the time to enumerate them, but my crimson brethren would say I was whining, so I'll just laugh instead.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 10:08 a.m.

Two For Flinching - Johnny clearly says they sound "realistically confident this season" as opposed to prior years - meaning they were overconfident in prior years.

Seriously, you ute "fans" get so bent out of shape that immediately you try and turn against anything a byu fan says, even when that byu fans acknowledges overconfidence by past teams. Take off those red glasses once in a while, ute "fans" Your hatred really prevented you from reading and understanding a very simple comment there pal.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 10:18 a.m.

@ Sports Are Great

My comment was made in jest, and was not meant as an attack on anybody. Perhaps it's not MY hatred that's preventing me from seeing things the way they are?

• RealBlue Holladay, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 10:35 a.m.

@Two For Flinching

Your comment confuses me if you are a ute fan. You say BYU comes out every year over-confident. I say the same thing about ute fans. ute fans think they are going to dominate every game every week, and then you come up with excuses why you lose every week.

• The Anti Chris Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 10:37 a.m.

So Chris, dare to make a wager on the game? If BYU wins you will stay off all BYU articles for the rest of the year?

If you are that confident that Texas will win then you should take the wager. If not, then you are just using these threads to stir up contention.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 10:39 a.m.

There were some penalties that left the impartial ESPN commentators scratching their heads on both sides of the ball. I believe that the refs were just trying to make a name for themselves and get air time on national TV.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 10:42 a.m.

Flinchy, Your comment showed you didn't understand what Johnny said. He clearly was making the same comment you did, acknowledging past BYU teams have been overconfident. You comment "in jest" makes no sense if he has already made that point. You incorrectly thought Johnny was saying past BYU teams have not been confident. There are just a lot of Ute "fans" who would argue the comment "the sun is hot" if a BYU fan wrote it, yourself likely included.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Sept. 2, 2014 11:20 a.m.

I imagine utah's quest will be over this week. Not many teams in the entire nation will be done with their quests for a big time bowl game just 2 weeks into the season, but utah will be

Go Fresno State!

Seriously...the poor Utes could actually lose 10 games with this schedule...

Mark it down!

• LadyMoon Crestucky, FL
    Sept. 2, 2014 11:25 a.m.

What scares me more than player depth charts are coaching decisions that have no basis in logic, like declining a kickoff penalty with the ball on the 35! (Then muffing the run back AND drawing a 15-yard penalty!) Any coach capable of that misguided decision should scare EVERY Cougar fan in the entire country! Really...what was he thinking!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Sept. 2, 2014 1:16 p.m.

LadyMoon -

I couldn't agree with you more on the bonehead "ball on the 35 debacle" at UConn. Would someone, ANYONE, please explain the logic in that decision??? I wish I could know what was going on inside Bronco's head on that call. Someone please shed some light on this.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 1:39 p.m.

@ RealBlue

I disagree. Only Chris predicts a victory every single week. Most Ute fan predictions I've seen have been 5-7 or 6-6, with the hope Utah climbs to 7-5, which will take an upset or two.

@ Sports Are Great

After re-reading the thread, I admit that you are correct. I misunderstood Jonny's statement.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 2, 2014 2:50 p.m.

Re: Bronco liking the aggression that resulted in many penalties.

Boneheaded penalties will cost us the game with a team like Texas. I truly hope he is not condoning this kind of stupid, undisciplined behavior by his team.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:02 p.m.

Flinch,

I appreciate the honesty. I just think its a sad commentary on people when one's support for either red or blue clouds the mind such that we're unable to read a simple comment and have a rational and logical response. Sadly, your mind worked like this in this instance: "He's a BYU fan, I must argue with him regardless of what he is saying"

I know you're not the only one - but come on man! Is that the best we can do?

• Alpine alum Alpine, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 4:23 p.m.

@Sports Are Great
    Give it a rest. Two For Flinching actually apologized and admitted he was wrong. How often do you get that from the other side? He showed some manliness doing what he did. I wish more commenters would show that much class.

• ConcernCitizen South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 5:09 p.m.

One of the things that really impressed me about the UCONN game among the many was Bronco substituting players in different positions. This has 3 important benefits:

1. Builds greater team spirit among the players
    2. Gives the coaches a chance to use more player talent in different situations
    3. Trains more players and keeps the continuity of winning from one year to the next.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 8:11 p.m.

@Chris B
    "I imagine byu's quest will be over this week. Not many teams in the entire nation will be done with their quests for a big time bowl game just 2 weeks into the season,"

--------------

You're right. Utah is one of the few teams in the nation whose season ends after this week. Utah has a 50-50 game with Fresno St and then enters the beginning of an 8 game losing streak at Michigan. By the time they get to another 50-50 game on their schedule (AZ) their season will have LONG been over.

Tom in CA/Ladymoon
    "I couldn't agree with you more on the bonehead "ball on the 35 debacle" at UConn. Would someone, ANYONE, please explain the logic in that decision???"

--------

He said in the postgame interview that he felt Hine was going to break one and wanted to give him another shot at it. When you consider what his KR average was last year counting the 4 long KR's that he had that got called back (his average would've been well over 30 yds per), we had a comfortable lead, etc and it didn't affect the outcome of the game....meh.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 8:15 p.m.

I was very pleased with the play of both Michael Davis (his ability to close on the ball was extraordinary) and Jordan Preator (I can't remember the last time I saw a BYU corner in such tight coverage). With us running a lot of extra plays it will be nice for the defense to have fresh legs to rotate in. We seem to get tired in the 3rd and 4th quarters and it will be nice to have these players back for the Texas game.

• slobro LONG BEACH, WA
    Sept. 2, 2014 9:32 p.m.

BYU stupid penalties are still a COACHING problem!! Will cost Cougars 17 points against Texas!! Quite playing Patty- Cake with these players!!Pull them from the game immediately & have them sit on the bench by themselves.They just let their team down & need to think about it.Then have the position coach talk to them & he decides if & when they go back into the game!
    This has gone on to long!! Get TOUGH COACHES!!

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    Sept. 3, 2014 10:42 a.m.

Chris B
    Salt Lake City, UT

"I imagine byu's quest will be over this week. Not many teams in the entire nation will be done with their quests for a big time bowl game just 2 weeks into the season, but byu will be[.]"

Chris, Utah is one of several P5 teams whose "quest" was over BEFORE the season began, and no 'imagining' is required. Moral victories may be all you have to look forward to. Suggest you get used to it.

Go Bruins!

Also wish the Cougars good luck at Texas.