Opinion

In our opinion: Trouble on tap? Colleges turning to beer sales at football games

Comments

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Aug. 31, 2014 12:03 a.m.

Beer's OK. What they charge for it is a crime.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2014 12:11 a.m.

Let adults act like adults. There is nothing wrong with having a beer at a game. Not to mention it will generate a nice chunk of revenue.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    Aug. 31, 2014 5:30 a.m.

I was a young and dumb once but when you pretend to be what your not you soon forget who you once was.

• bclady Spanish Fork, UT
    Aug. 31, 2014 6:44 a.m.

The worst experiences we have had with college sports have been at football games where the beer flowed. At one major university there was literally beer running down the walkway to the stadium. Drunken fans aren't very sportsmanlike, either. It is a bad idea on so many levels.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Aug. 31, 2014 7:14 a.m.

The only reason this is an "issue" is because this article is posted in Salt Lake City.
    I would suggest that all of us worry about our own house before we cast aspersions at the preferences of others.
    Were someone to weekly take issue with obesity and the contribution of ice cream, jello, candy, soda pop etc. etc. it wouldn't fly so well.
    I'm guessing that beer is healthier that everything I just listed. Relax folks.

• Iron Rod Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2014 7:43 a.m.

An interesting article to add to the mix of this article.

Student attendance at college football games is down approximately 10% in the last five years according to an article from the Wall Street Journal.

If I were the CEO of a major football program I would be concerned about this trend.

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    Aug. 31, 2014 8:32 a.m.

Beer, football, children.........Yeah, makes sense to me!

• Cedarcreek320 Star Valley Ranch, WY
    Aug. 31, 2014 8:50 a.m.

Believe it or not, responsible adulthood is legal on the other side of Zion.

• Dode Smithfield, UT
    Aug. 31, 2014 10:53 a.m.

I'm sorry but I do not like going to games and having someone toasted a few rows from me screaming and ranting like a wild man. Yes, there are a few who do this normally, but when there is alcohol involved, some go absolutely crazy.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 31, 2014 12:01 p.m.

1- It's legal for adults
    2- Why does the Dnews hate capitalism? I thought the almighty buck was all that was important to repubs.
    3- Look up who the first people in Utah were, who sold beer & liquor. Might be eye opening.

• stevan madrigal murray, UT
    Aug. 31, 2014 12:41 p.m.

From City Weekly - Dec. 2, 2009
    Among his reasons for hating all the players, fans, plants, liberal-arts instructors and maintenance sheds at the U was his contention that during 2008’s game, his family was treated to a variety of “nasty things” at Rice- Eccles stadium. By nearly all judgments, the most awful act committed by those Ute fans was that they tossed beer on his “family and stuff.”

Of course.

• Arizona1 Tucson, AZ
    Aug. 31, 2014 2:36 p.m.

I understand that many have issues with this article's opposition to beer sales at sporting events--and some even argue that 50 or 60 thousand fans can exercise "responsible adulthood" with beer sales or that we should worry about our own house rather than trying to limit beer sales at a raucous game. That's easy to say, but all those fans have to get home.

If you've ever lost a loved one to drunk driving, and I have, it's a lot harder to believe so many people who will soon be on the road will drink "responsibly". Furthermore, I believe those concerned with beer sales at games are very concerned about their own house--hence the opposition.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Aug. 31, 2014 2:42 p.m.

Note about kids at football games.
    They don't belong there. It's too violent and serves no purpose for their upbringing.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    Aug. 31, 2014 3:06 p.m.

"Drunken fans aren't very sportsmanlike, either"

From Spanish Fork, my guess is BYU fans, and I'll bet the offending school was Wyoming. If this is all true beer has little to do with why the other teams fans were offensive to you.

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 31, 2014 3:51 p.m.

I lived in Las Vegas for years. I agree that responsible adults should be able to have a beer. I attended a number of sporting events at the football stadium. During one game vs..UNLV and Hawaii, I witnessed a number of fights as fans got out of hand. The problem with serving alcohol at games is non responsible adults drink as well.

I have been to a few Denver Bronco games and witnessed a lot of fights in he stands. People that just want to watch a game get involved in the action all too often.

• RebeardTheFiend West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 31, 2014 4:02 p.m.

While I agree with the premise that beer sales should not be permitted at college games, this article is full of fallacy and does nothing but attack beer.

1. A beer or two at a game is not going to result in poor decision making by 10's of thousands of people.
    2. Cut off sales in the third quarter like pro venues do to reduce the drunk driving.
    3. Do not sell to visibly intoxicated people. (This is already law).

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Aug. 31, 2014 4:13 p.m.

Sports and intoxication. It works so well in soccer. What could possibly go wrong?

Seriously, alcohol is not always the worst of things. But it creates a VERY different atmosphere at an event. One less family friendly.

• BJMoose Syracuse, UT
    Aug. 31, 2014 4:40 p.m.

Dode, please list all the stadiums that you've attended football games at that serve beer. I want to know where to go to watch my football this fall.
    Thank you very much.
    Respectfully yours,
    BJ

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    Aug. 31, 2014 4:55 p.m.

re: "Why does the Dnews hate capitalism? I thought the almighty buck was all that was important to repubs"

My question is why the DNews allows personal attacks like this, particularly when they are not remotely close to true. This is an ad personam attack at best, and a gross over-generalization and untruth at worst.

• vangroovin West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 31, 2014 7:12 p.m.

I don't think alcohol is the solution to revenue issue. If they have to lower their standards to create revenue, then it will come back to haunt them in the end. With all the problems alcohol causes, this cannot be a good thing. People get crazy at it is at college football games. Crazy + Alcohol = Disaster.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    Aug. 31, 2014 8:45 p.m.

At qual comm stadium they have a family section where alcohol can not be sold or brought into the section. Maybe a beer only section opposite of the student section would please the anti alcohol crowd.

On another note I took my wife and two young kids to Oktoberfest at snowbird where 1000's of beer drinking adults behaved just fine. No fights or drunken idiots were present and we were there for two days.

• TaipeiModerate New Haven, CT
    Aug. 31, 2014 10:03 p.m.

I've been to games nearly everywhere in the country. Beer is almost never an issue. The real issue is culture. I've seen stadiums where the fan responsibility/culture is adequate to control the situation--drunk dudes try to pick fights, and the home fans diffuse the situation and security is there in like 5 seconds (Oxford, South Bend, UNLV, etc.). I've also seen situations where drunken inebriation is encouraged and devolves into something scary (Wyoming, SDSU come to mind first). Cultivate the right culture, and enjoy if that is your thing.

Also, I'm Mormon, but I find this "keep football for families by not introducing beer into stadiums" sentiment to be really sheltered. Nearly everywhere else in the country, football is for adults and students first, and families and kids second. Parents who take their kids know and accept the risks.

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2014 9:27 a.m.

It's like guns, there's a constitutional amendment about it, and we can generally trust most people to be responsible with it, but some we can't so it needs to be sufficiently regulated in a logical manner.

• U-tar Woodland Hills, UT
    Sept. 1, 2014 8:32 p.m.

U of U is probably # 1 on the list

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2014 11:26 p.m.

@ U-tar

Wrong. Far too many sheltered people in this state for the U to partake in the radical concept of selling beer at a sporting event.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 9:38 a.m.

How about the constant beer commercials for televised football that fuels the entertainment monster?

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 10:08 a.m.

What about the maniacal BYU fans who scream and shout clever synonyms of traditional swearing and threats of violence while totally sober? I agree it's more about culture than "Beer" but it's easier to blame a sinful behavior, than a sinful attitude.