Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks about Friday's game vs. BYU

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 2:28 p.m.

"How does the team regard BYU "

Well, their QB(and likely others) said that byU played in a good conference. So much like Jamaal Williams who thought byu was a division II school when he was recruited, the truth is most of UConn players probably don't know anything about byu any more than they know about SUU or Utah state or Wyoming. Most football fans on the east coast don't really follow smaller mid mid major schools, especially ones in the west.

These teams are very unfamiliar with each other

• taylormade1 Springville, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 2:59 p.m.

And just exactly is it that you know this information Chris ? National Championship, National player of the year award, Davey Obrien awards, Outland trophy winners, Maxwell award winners, National coach of the years awards...etc. Oh yea, they are very familar with the mighty cougars! ESPN National television 7:00 edt. this friday. Godda love it baby! Get your popcorn out and enjoy !

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 3:21 p.m.

I expect to come out of this first game undefeated.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 27, 2014 3:23 p.m.

BYU will crush U Conn. The P5 conference split hasn't been kind to either school.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Aug. 27, 2014 3:26 p.m.

Why characterize a noble opponent at the "enemy"? We need a new "tone" in college athletics.

• Mr. Finch Washington, DC
    Aug. 27, 2014 3:32 p.m.

Actually, Chris B, while I often enjoy reading your comments (and your stirring of the pot), I'm afraid you're quite mistaken this time (okay, and often many other times). I've lived and worked on the East Coast for quite a few years now, and in multiple cities/states. As a college football fanatic, I often discuss the subject with coworkers and friends, ranging in age from mid-20s to early 60s, and in doing so, I have frequently found that next to nobody knows anything about my home state Utes. The exception was the year or two following the Sugar Bowl victory, but even that now seems a distant memory. On the other hand, I do find that many folks know something about their counterpart to the south, especially some of their recent players. And, perhaps to your great surprise, most folks that know something of college football seems to quite respect BYU. I know it's a sad reality, but Utah has still got a ways to go to build a national reputation.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 3:44 p.m.

Diaco is a young coach with a bright future. I hope he turns the UCONN program around but only after losing to BYU. He should have his D ready after facing BYU the last two years at ND. Those didn't turn out how we'd have liked but here's to making sure he has a different outcome with his new team. Go Coug's!

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 3:55 p.m.

I agree with you, Spokane. 2 QB system? Sounds like UCONN is about to get plowed.

• BYU in Tucson Tucson, AZ
    Aug. 27, 2014 3:58 p.m.

Hate to say it but when Utah Utes play here in Tucson, most people think it is BYU.
    Don't know what that says about Utah football, not knowing the difference and all.
    At least they know the school BYU although they are no the visiting team in red that
    KaDeem Carey runs for 250 yds on.

• Serenity Now Highland, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 4:01 p.m.

Agree with Mr. Finch.

To New Englanders, BYU is a known commodity with Danny Ainge running the Celtics and Mitt Romney running for president.

Utah? Cold Fusion.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 4:02 p.m.

taylor,

How do I know UConn's QB thought byu played in a good conference?

Because he said so.

How do I know Jamaal Williams thought byu was a division II school?

Because he said so.

I've noticed you still haven't replied as to who the east coast media member is who says byu will be included in some way with the big boys within 4 years?

Your silence is deafening!

• Madsen Hall Magic Centerville, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 4:06 p.m.

Mr. Finch predicted that the Utes have a ways to go to build a national reputation...

But maybe they only need time. With a few more losing seasons in the PAC12 their national and conference reputation will be fairly well established.

• Norcalman Danville, CA
    Aug. 27, 2014 4:06 p.m.

I was just in a meeting with a group of New York Bankers and we started talking about the upcoming football season. When I mentioned BYU the comment was, "BYU, I'm sure they will be good this year - they seem to be good in ever sport they are in!" Everyone agreed. True or not, that was their perception.

I think independence has actually been good for BYU if only judged on visibility. BYU is certainly known and respected throughout the country - no matter what the trolls on these boards try to make people, maybe themselves, believe.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 5:15 p.m.

@ BYU in Tucson

I'm willing to bet that's not true.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Aug. 27, 2014 8:09 p.m.

Two,
    I'm willing to bet it is true. I've lived in three states in the Midwest and when I tell them I cheer for BYU they know exactly who I am talking about. If Utah is ever brought up it's either confused with BYU or they think it's USU or some other Utah team. It's a fact that Utah is just not nearly as known or famous around the country.

• Cletus from Coalville Coalville, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 8:10 p.m.

byu isn't included with the big boys like we are so that means ucon will win them really bad because of it.

ucon 57
    byu 2

Go write it down!

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Aug. 27, 2014 8:28 p.m.

Quotes from The Courant -

"BYU, a traditional power, will be a test that allows all to see where the Huskies are after nine months under Diaco."

"A big-time team like BYU coming into the Rent, Friday night, ESPN, there's no bigger stage," tight end Sean McQuillan said.

"Michigan came to East Hartford last year and escaped with a 24-21 win." UConn's team "broke down" late in the game and is determined not to let that happen again.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 8:48 p.m.

@ Striker

So you're telling me that the University of Utah is less well known than Utah St. or Southern Utah or Weber St.? I'm not buying it.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Aug. 27, 2014 9:26 p.m.

@chrisb

The UConn QB story is an interesting one...

I have a similar story about my time in the Dallas, TX area... I have a non-member friend in the area that has a highly touted HS football player (a Junior TE) who is beginning to get a lot of looks from Division I schools... He mentioned that a lot of local schools (Baylor, TCU, SMU, Rice and even Oklahoma State) had started to contact him... His HS coach also told him that a BYU coach had contacted him and asked about him... I asked if he was interested at all in BYU and his dad told me that he was... I asked if any pac12 schools had made contact... He said no... I said that's surprising because I had found that Utah often followed BYU around in Texas looking for prospects... He said (and I quote) "I don't think that my son would be interested in Utah... now that UT Arlington has joined the WAC, he doesn't have much use for any of the other WAC schools"...

I had to chuckle. That's what many Texas prospects think of the utes.

• kennewickcoug Alpine, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 9:54 p.m.

I for one am very concerned about this game and I think 16.5 point favorite is way too much. BYU is a better team but we start slow and I think UCONN is hungry as the underdog. BYU has lost a lot of games to lesser teams (Virginia, Utah, Boise)the last few years and i think it is due much to the coaching. The coaches make a lot of rookie mistakes. the offense has been extremely boring and weak. Anae is bad and not creative. When we played Wisconsin and Notre Dame last year we did not look ready for the games. While we didn't get blown out it was never close and we looked lethargic. The coaches need to motivate and get the team ready for these games. My wife, who knows nothing about sports, was watching a game with me and said, "Why does Bronco always look like he hates his job." I thought it was very telling and I think the team reflects his attitude/demeanor. I hope we win but I am not confident after the two last years of under performing teams.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 10:28 p.m.

@ poyman

Over half of Texas believe in creationism and another 30% of Texans believe that dinosaurs and humans existed at the same time.

Them thinking that Utah is a member of the WAC is not a reflection on Utah.... Further proof the guy in your story doesn't know anything about football is that UT Arlington is in the Southland Conf., and has been since the early 60s. Also the WAC no longer exists in football.

Still, I thought it was a pretty good story .

• UteinIdaho Sandpoint, ID
    Aug. 27, 2014 10:40 p.m.

I was recently on a conference call with a few of my colleagues who reside in New Zealand. I mentioned that my favorite sports time of the year is just about to start here in the states, college football. "U.S.college football?" they asked. "As in BYU? I have heard of the legend of BYU" they replied. "National champions. Maxwell, Davey O'Brien awards. Oh that sounds exciting. I have long dreamt of the day I could take my family to the states to take in a game in Provo".

I was blown away. It was truly remarkable to hear first hand the national brand/relevance that independence has brought to BYU.

Quick side story, I asked the same group of colleagues, what do you think of BYU's counterpart to the North? They replied, "are you referring to Utah State or Weber State?" I said, "no, I'm talking about Utah". " Oh, Utah? Of the WAC? Why would we follow them? They aren't part of the Independent5".

It was truly remarkable for me to get a glimpse of the global view of football in the state of Utah.

• Tom in MS Madison, MS
    Aug. 28, 2014 5:53 a.m.

Actually, the Utes are beloved in the SEC for what we did to Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. That is still talked about and cherished by them. That is a fact, as I live in SEC country, and know several people who rooted for the Utes in that game, and still talk about it.

• Tom in MS Madison, MS
    Aug. 28, 2014 5:59 a.m.

ID Ute, who cares about what they think about football in New Zealand?! It's not the NFL! Ask any real fan of college football about Utah, and they will say that Utah beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl a few years ago, and beat Pitt with Urban Meyer as head coach a few years ago in the Fiesta Bowl. The real fans will know that.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 28, 2014 6:33 a.m.

I thought this article was about UConn and BYU. Why so many u commentators and comparisons? When I read an article about BYU, it would be nice to talk about BYU. Why print comments with all the hate and division from hate-filled opposition? Go find your own school to rant and rave!

Go Cougars!

• Jefe-Ute Richmond, VA
    Aug. 28, 2014 8:50 a.m.

Funny with all the comments about not knowing Utah football, or confusing them with another Utah team. I live in ACC country and when I'm asked about where I am from everyone knows Utah football. In fact, they ALWAYS mention the two BCS season by the Utes. I am a HUGE Utah fan, but did attend BYU. When I tell them I attend BYU, they have heard of the school and know it is a good mormon University, but don't know anything about their football program. In fact, one person didn't know that they even had a football program. That's a fact.

@Tom in HS
    I too have talked to a lot of SEC folks and they ALL know about the Utes!

• holy moly Herrmian, UT
    Aug. 28, 2014 8:56 a.m.

Tom in MS... I think ID Ute is making fun of the BYU fans claiming BYU is so famous.

• ExecutorIoh West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 28, 2014 9:32 a.m.

I don't mean this as a slam, but I grew up on the east coast and didn't know there was another university in the state of Utah until my second week at BYU. To my knowledge nobody in my high school class even applied to Utah for school. Now I know that after a couple BCS wins, things may be a bit different, but in reality very few people have ever seen Utah play on the east coast or on true national television. The fewer the amount of people see Utah, the less people know they exist. If Utah is going to improve their reputation, they need to be seen east of the Mississippi.

• lixircat Indianapolis, IN
    Aug. 28, 2014 9:43 a.m.

Most college football fans know who Utah is, but most don't care anymore. Few people outside the west could name anyone on your team, just as most of you couldn't name anyone who plays for Illinois or Wake Forest. Utah has now become a team like Indiana, Purdue, Kentucky, and Iowa State. Low on the conference totem pole. Sure, they'll put together a good season 1-2 times each decade. But no one else will care, just like most of you won't care if Kansas makes it to a bowl game. At least in the MWC you guys made some noise, but now you're almost forgotten.

Good or bad, it is what it is.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 28, 2014 9:45 a.m.

Tom in MS:
    I also lived and still travel to the south, specifically LA & GA several times a year. You are correct that SEC fans love watching Alabama get embarrassed. I'm a UGA fan so I reveled in watching Utah beat them (I was still living in Jonesboro, Ga). SEC fans are a funny bunch though. They loved watching Bama get beat, but at the same time they offered excuses for them to save face for the SEC. Excuses like Bama overlooked and was disinterested in Utah because they'd missed out on the NC game. Bama was missing some of their best players to injury (forgetting, of course that Utah had injuries as well). The same SEC fans loved watching Oklahoma dismantle the Tide on one hand, but then offered the same excuses on the other.

All that said, I rarely hear any SEC fans talk about Utah. A Florida Gator friend of mine still referred to them as a MWC team just last month (only because I brought them up). And face it SEC fans don't have a long memory...what have you done lately is a common mantra.

• dww722 North Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 28, 2014 9:46 a.m.

@ Kennewickcoug\

I agree 100%. Our coaches need to step it up and quit making mistakes. Anae and Bronco have a knack for making dumb calls at inopportune times that cost us games (Boise St and Virginia come to mind)and I think the team has been unprepared and/or uninspired on many occasions (Wisconsin and Notre Dame to name two). If BYU wants to remain relevant they gotta win their share of games against "big time" opponents on national television or the exposure on ESPN becomes irrelevant. As far as I'm concerned, it begins with the coaches

• dww722 North Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 28, 2014 9:57 a.m.

Yeah..those two BCS wins really put the Utes on the map. What history...what tradition..what a national reputation they have!! Those two stories will be retold for generations I'm sure.

• eric2002x Miami, FL
    Aug. 28, 2014 10:10 a.m.

Please, BYU has been playing tons of teams all over the Midwest, South & East Coast for four decades and has a well established national reputation. It is just a fact. A partial list of opponents over the years includes many of the Premier programs in all of history of College Football, and there have been many victories sprinkled in against these teams: Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Penn St, Notre Dame, Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Boston College, Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa, Texas A&M, Kansas St, Mississippi St, Ole Miss, Wisconsin, Baylor, Syracuse... This does not includes Western powers such as USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, etc. where BYU has played against everyone in the PAC and beaten many of them over the years.

Nobody takes away Utah's 2 magical seasons and their Alabama Sugar Bowl victory. Bravo. But to pretend BYU is not well known "in general" (excluding a few ignoramuses here and there) is foolish.

• taylormade1 Springville, UT
    Aug. 28, 2014 10:43 a.m.

Chrissy,
    Still not too late for you to jump on the Cougar bus.Its beginning to roll and soon it will be too late for you to finally really call yourself a cougar fan !

• 1978 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 28, 2014 2:31 p.m.

@BYUalum

"Why so many u commentators and comparisons? ... Why print comments with all the hate and division from hate-filled opposition?"

Sounds like you don't understand the mentality of the typical BYU-obsessed ute fan do you? Hmmm... Come to think of it neither do I.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 28, 2014 3:02 p.m.

"he doesn't have much use for any of the other WAC schools"

poyman:

That's what we've come to expect from prospect fathers in Backwater, Texas. No wonder Utah didn't recruit him--the apple probably didn't fall to far from the tree.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Aug. 28, 2014 3:25 p.m.

taylormade,

We're still waiting on your source back east who predicted byU would be included in some way with the big boys within 4 years.

Your silence is deafening!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 28, 2014 3:47 p.m.

Chris,

Not sure back East, but Uteology, Chris B, Navel Vet...

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    Aug. 28, 2014 4:37 p.m.

Helllo!

All the national recognition, WAC Legacy, and people back east knowing about BYU will not change the following:

It will not get you into a P5 conference.
    And it will not get you into the playoffs.

Show ESPN and anyone that cares to watch that you can beat ranked teams.

I hear the excuse machine for the Uconn loss getting started.

End of story.

• niners SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Aug. 28, 2014 9:14 p.m.

@byu in tuscon

If people think the football team from the University of Utah is the football team from Brigham Young University I dont see how that is an insult to the Utes? Sounds more like an insult to the intelligence of the people that actually think that... Heck, I can maybe, just maybe seeing Utah State and Utah getting mixed up....But Utah and BYU? sounds like you know some real winners there in Arizona....

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 28, 2014 9:23 p.m.

Ucon. Ho-hum. Not even worth tuning in. Independence really stinks.