BYU football: Taysom Hill's experience, ability make him catalyst of Cougar offense

Comments

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Aug. 23, 2014 8:20 p.m.

Although as a whole I have been disappointed with BYU's offense these last few years, and disappointed in Hill at times, overall I think Taysom Hill is an incredible football player. Say what you want about his throwing last year, he is a playmaker. He was one of the few on the offense that was consistently good and did his best to win the game. His throwing will get better.

He is on the Heisman watchlist for a reason, and believe he was named one of the 14 best football players on some sports site (NFL, I think). I am excited to see what he can do.

Go Cougars!

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Aug. 23, 2014 8:56 p.m.

I'm expecting Taysom to have an amazing season reminiscent of the BYU quarterback greats of the 70's and 80's.

Go Cougars!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 23, 2014 9:48 p.m.

There's not another QB in the state I'd rather have leading the offense. And if I had to rate the top QBs in the nation, Taysom would be in my Top 10. I don't expect his arm to ever have the accuracy of an elite QB, but I do think his accuracy will improve by at least 10% over last year. Even though his arm is not prime time, his other abilities make him invaluable. My ranking of the QBs in Utah are:

1. Taysom Hill
    2. Keeton
    3. Olson
    4. Stewart
    5. Cantu
    6. Thompson (I expect him to be the Utes starter by game 3 or 4.)
    7. Joe Hlll
    8. Kuresa
    9. Wilson
    10. Green
    11. Clark

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Aug. 23, 2014 11:06 p.m.

It's too bad that Hill will not be able to be tested this year with byu's incredibly weak schedule. Any impressive stats he puts up will be overshadowed by the fact that he's playing UNLV, Cal, Virginia, UConn, Savannah State, etc.

Heisman? Yeah, right.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Aug. 24, 2014 12:08 a.m.

I REALLY wish we could count on Anae to implement a more pass-oriented attack. Sorry, but I'll have to see it before I believe it. Last year was pathetic! Just run to set up another running play.....ugh! Then run some more!! What are those guys doing running passing routes downfield?? Another running play!!

• water rocket Magna, UT
    Aug. 24, 2014 12:55 a.m.

From the highlight pictures on all the sports programs I have watched this fall, it appears to me that Taysom is throwing nice spirals on a string, and I look forward to a break out year from him in the passing department. I hope he spreads the ball around like McMan (sp) did. I also hope that BYU uses more miss-direction and roll out plays to give Taysom more weapons. I hope that BYU can blow out a few teams this year to establish themselves as a power team.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Aug. 24, 2014 8:43 a.m.

@CougFanInTexas:

• ekute Layton, UT
    Aug. 24, 2014 9:09 a.m.

They might blow out 3 teams at les but that won't establish anything.

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    Aug. 24, 2014 9:20 a.m.

They need a third QB

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Aug. 24, 2014 9:24 a.m.

gored

Gotta laugh at your delusion.

Hill will be well tested by Texas, Houston, Utah State, Central Florida, and Boise State, and if he passes the test, he'll be included amongst the nation's leading quarterbacks for post-season honors.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2014 9:27 a.m.

@ CougFaninTX

Wow. You Texas boys sure know a lot of about football.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Aug. 24, 2014 10:03 a.m.

2fer

BYU fans certainly know a lot more about quarterbacks than Utah fans.

When was the last time Utah had a National Hall of Fame quarterback?

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    Aug. 24, 2014 10:22 a.m.

One only had to read the headline to know that about 40% of the comments would be of the crimson tinged "criticism" type.

I noticed that no one rebutted CougarFan's ratings for all QBs in the state of Utah. Wilson #9?

Me, I can't wait to see how UCLA's Hundley does vs. the Utes and Wilson/Thompson vs. my Bruins.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Aug. 24, 2014 10:48 a.m.

I think BYU's success will depend on how Hill's passing improves from last year, we know he can run, now we have to see him prove he can be a pass first QB and use his legs only as needed or when the D forces him to. I was optimistic about his improved passing but the last scrimmage his passing was a disappointment and I fear he will revert back to pulling the ball down and running to much instead of keeping his cool and looking and finding his 2nd and 3rd receivers. If he wants to play pro he needs to develop as a passer and force himself to look for the 2nd and 3rd receivers, I hope he realized that and makes the changes he needs to.

• Taduh Sandy, UT
    Aug. 24, 2014 10:55 a.m.

I find it interesting that there are 2 articles that came out at the same time, one about BYU's QB and one about Utah's QB and there are 11 comments, 3 of which are Ute fans, commenting on BYU but zero comments by Ute or BYU fans on the other article (at least at this current time). Make your own conclusions. However, back to the article at hand, I feel that Taysom will have a great year but do not believe he will be contending for the Heisman. This year may set him up for contending in the next years Heisman race, it all depends on how well he does this year.

Truly wishing all Utah schools have great years, just hoping BYU has the best.

• Riley Mendenhall Provo, UT
    Aug. 24, 2014 11:14 a.m.

Hill is Me 2.0

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    Aug. 24, 2014 12:09 p.m.

Re: Blue Husky

There are a lot of QB's out there with cannons for arms that aren't very good. I think the jury is still out as to weather he has "taught himself" to read defenses and make decisions better and be able to throw with accuracy. According to most BYU fans that have watched him in fall camp they don't all seem to be convinced that he has. There's already a lot of noise being made in favor of Stewart. Let's see how he passes against theTexas defense.

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    Aug. 24, 2014 12:25 p.m.

@ ekute,

You said "They might blow out 3 teams at les but that won't establish anything."

That is a lot better than the Utes being blown out by 3 teams at RES. That will establish something for you boys on the hill and that is another losing season.

• yabuts Springville, utah
    Aug. 24, 2014 1:39 p.m.

Tysom is playing at a disadvantage because the go fast go hard does not allow him time to properly read the defense.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 24, 2014 1:54 p.m.

@BlueHusky "@CougFanInTexas: I'm curious as to why you think Hill will never be an elite passer. Seems like he has a cannon. Why would he not get better with experience, a la Steve Young?"

I'm not sure I'd put Young in the category of elite passer (i.e. Elway, Manning, Montana, Detmer, McMahon). I know Young had one of the highest QB ratings in the NFL, but the offense was tailored to his strength, throwing < 20 yards down the field.

I get worried when I hear Anae say we are going to throw long and often this year. Sure Hill has plenty of arm strength but I haven't seen him consistently put a 40 yard pass on the numbers. I think Hill could destroy defenses by throwing short. Let the defenses load the box then throw short passes just beyond the LBs and watch our athletic receivers blow past corners and safeties.

@Two For Flinching - "@ CougFaninTX. Wow. You Texas boys sure know a lot of about football."

Ah, you're making me blush. Thanks! Just curious how a Ute fan would rank them, objectively?

• AggieFan4Ever Logan, UT
    Aug. 24, 2014 2:14 p.m.

It takes a special combination of ignorance, bias, and wishful thinking to rank Taysom Hill higher than Chuckie Keeton, as CougfaninTX has done. Even if his accuracy does improve by 10%, as he believes will happen, it still won't be as good as Keeton's. I do believe that he can improve his accuracy and become a better quarterback, but he is not on the same level as Keeton, and it is nonsensical to think otherwise. Chuckie is hands down the best QB in the state, but I think Hill is a great playmaker and will improve, and if Wilson can stay healthy, all the teams in Utah could have great seasons. Hoping for the best for everyone

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2014 2:18 p.m.

@ CougFaninTX

My rankings would go like this:

1. Keeton

2a. Hill
    2b. WIlson

Both have a lot to prove this season, but I don't think one has been significantly better than the other.

We won't know which back up QB's are better unless we see them in live action. Taking snaps in a game is a whole different animal than it is in practice with a green jersey on.

• taylormade1 Springville, UT
    Aug. 24, 2014 3:29 p.m.

Gored,
    Alabama sos-95,Oklahoma sos-93, BYU sos-97 . Alabama ranked #2 and Oklahoma ranked #3 . Looks like to me the Y is hanging with some pretty tough company ! Stop the stupid sos talk just because the u seams to have a tough schedule. To bad for them,as the toughest SOS schedules end up being nothing but losing records that no body cares about at the end of the year !

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    Aug. 24, 2014 4:05 p.m.

One thing's certain: no other QB at a Utah school has as much potential to improve as does Hill. We already know he can run, and he certainly has a strong arm, and he has good receivers to throw to. The question marks for the Cougs are the O-line, whether Hill can improve his passing accuracy, and whether he can take fewer licks. The thought of BYU's intermediate passing game opening up the run has me salivating for the season to start. The BYU-USU game should be a good one.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Aug. 24, 2014 5:17 p.m.

I'll tell ya what for, Hundley at UCLA s the best in the Nation! I saw him spank my Huskers last year. The Ute's, and likely, everyone else will get schooled by him. I doubt Wilson makes it passed game 4 for Utah, which might be a good thing for them. I still predict a 3 and 7 season for Utah, 10 and 2 for USU and 11 and 1 for BYU!

• Bountiful Guy Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 24, 2014 5:36 p.m.

I watched several games from last year yesterday and I hate to say it, but Cougars had better have made a lot of improvement in the last year. If Kyle Van Noy had not been at BYU, they may not have made a bowl game. It will not be a fun year, if we once again have to watch so many QB runs and very little in an offensive game plan. Taysom Hill was really a very poor passer last year. I hope all the hype is more than bluster. Go Cougars! Every player is needed for every play, even against this poor competition. If they fail to beat Texas, then I don't think there will be much to carry on about.

• Ghost Writer GILBERT, AZ
    Aug. 24, 2014 6:55 p.m.

It's amazing how much a strong offensive line improves the accuracy of any passer. If the line comes through, so will Taysom.

• Hawk Littleton, CO
    Aug. 24, 2014 7:22 p.m.

Sorry, Stringer, but it looks like you're projecting your quarterback controversy onto BYU. NOBODY in the program is giving consideration to Stewart as the starter. He has performed well in fall camp and has been given his due, which is great for the team and reassuring to BYU fans. But Taysom is the clear #1 and does not need to be looking nervously over to the sidelines after every miscue, living in fear that the next incomplete pass will be his last. We'll see how Wilson holds up under that pressure.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Aug. 24, 2014 9:16 p.m.

I believe Hill will be a far better player this year than he was last and I thought that he was pretty good last year... Will he be Heisman material? Maybe not but I think that he will surprise a lot of folks.

As for BYU's schedule not being tough enough to support a Heisman contender? Maybe not, but I think that it will prove to be a much tougher schedule than it is currently getting credit for... I expect Utah State, Boise State, Texas, Houston and Central Florida to be very strong teams this year... I also think that Virginia, U Conn, California, UNLV, and Nevada will have much better seasons than expected... Middle Tennessee will be a Conference USA champion contender... and that leaves us Savannah State instead of Idaho State...

If BYU plays like they are capable, they could run the table... If Hill is a Thousand plus yards in rushing, 3,500 yards plus in passing, with a good completion ratio and a 3:1 TD to INT ratio or better, he very well could be in the top 5 in the Heisman voting... and BYU could be Big Bowl Bound.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Aug. 24, 2014 9:18 p.m.

In comparing Hill to Chuckie??? I like them both... Chuckie might be better today because of his passing accuracy but I think that Hill has more upside (better and more powerful legs and a stronger arm with the capability of having better vision because of his heigth.