That is terrible. I hope she recovers.If you deal with chemicals
you get paranoid about mixing chemicals and food. But a restaurant does not
think of themselves as a chemical lab. Right now, all over the place smart
restaurants are asking themselves, "So where are we putting our cleaners,
etc? And how are we labeling and training so that our staff don't make that
sort of a mistake?"
Perhaps reading English should be a prerequisite for employment.
@Sneaky Jimmy - Perhaps tolerance should be a prerequisite for commenting on a
public comment board...You have no idea whether the employee who did
it speaks English as their first language or not. We don't know enough of
the specifics to make a judgement call so maybe we should avoid making snap
judgments... I've been to that restaurant and most of the crew that I saw
working there were Caucasians.
@Shawnm750Tolerance has nothing to do with it.Just
because someone is Caucasian does not mean they can read, or read english.
besides, as a food manager with 20 years experience, I can assure you that all
chemicals are labeled in more than one language
I thought most really toxic poisons had to be labeled with universal symbols.
The packaging could have been similar to each other. Whatever the cause a
solution needs to happen to prevent it from happening again.
Interesting -- No comment from the family, No comment from the
Doctor, No comment from the Hospital.All we have is multiple
media comments from her "Attorney".
This is just unspeakably sad. Someone was negligent or the chemicals would not
have been in the same place where sugar should be. It is true that restaurant
employees have to deal with crowds of customers and work under pressure, but
management should make sure that cleaning supplies are entirely separate from
What we don't know yet is this: was the chemical in the original container
or in something else without a label? It's unfortunately commonplace for
people to take a large container of anything that has just a little bit left and
put the contents in a smaller container to save space or make it easier to
handle. And, as was the case in several instances of incorrect drugs
administered in hospitals, was there anything about the container and its
labeling that would instantly distinguish it from food products? The answers to
these may be that it was in the original container with a clear label, but we
shouldn't draw conclusions until we have more information. What is obvious
is that no one in the food industry wants to harm their customers or hurt the
What a tragic accident. I hope and pray that lady will make a full recovery.
to Shawnm750And there would go at least 90% of the comments on this
board... like this one?re: LDS LiberalAgreed. Truth be told. I'm having a hard time with 1) how anyone could mistake
sugar (granulated or powder) for NaOH & 2) Why is are cleaning materials
& baking items so close together?
Mister J"Truth be told. I'm having a hard time with 1) how
anyone could mistake sugar (granulated or powder) for NaOH ..."It is easy to understand when we honestly face the inconvenient fact that a
great many restaurants in Utah illegally employ illegal aliens and that these
individuals typically are not conversant with the written English language and
in many cases not the written Spanish language either.Again it is
time to be honest and ask the pertinent question: Was this food handler in this
country legally, and were they conversant with the written English language?
EliyahuYour question regarding whether the lye was
transferred to a smaller, unmarked container is a reasonable one. Of course I
do not know the answer in this case. What I do know is that when I buy a 35 lb.
square bucket of laundry detergent for the laundry room, I never transfer any of
it into a smaller container. It always goes directly from that large pail into
the washing machine, using a measuring cup. I suspect this is true in most
households.This is why I personally would be surprised if the lye in
the restaurant was in an unmarked vessel.
When I worked at Dee's in high school, we kept the cleaning solvents and
soaps in an entirely different part of the drive-in than the foot. One of our
cleaners looked just line mayonnaise. The only thing we used sugar for was to
make root beer in the basement and we used 50LB bags of sugar. No chance of
getting those messed up with an industrial cleaner.This is a sad
situation for the folks involved. Dickie's ought to be taking care of all
the medical bills and any other bills associated with this incident for these
people. That is the least that they can do.