Rock On: Cougar QB incomplete on 'that guy'

Comments

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 11, 2014 6:27 p.m.

Before inciting all loyal Aggies to riot, and in Stew's defense, he watched Chuckie go down, and his replacement did not rally the troops to victory.

I know, long way from terrible, but it's the best I can come up with.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Aug. 11, 2014 7:17 p.m.

Whoops.. i guess he hates the U too. Wish he wouldn't have said it the way he did...not wise for a sr. to say what he did.

• Vegas POV Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 11, 2014 9:23 p.m.

It appears that Christian Stewart has a higher level of expectation for himself than winning 75% of his games (Like Darell Garretson did). With those goals he could replace Taysom Hill who won 62% last year. Go Stewart!

• RonBergundy SANDY, UT
    Aug. 11, 2014 11:32 p.m.

Come on Rock. Post an article ripping on a kid AFTER you check your facts. Craig Harrison was Utah States #2 guy, and he wasn't ready to play. What Stewart said was 100% accurate.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 11, 2014 11:33 p.m.

• CFBFan Monterey, CA
    Aug. 12, 2014 3:58 a.m.

@Y Grad / Y Dad,

No need to defend a less-than-informed statement from Stewie; he spouted off without thinking. Aggie fans like me aren't going to riot, it's not worth it. That being said, you're not doing any favors by covering for ignorance. He made a mistake (do you REALLY think he was talking about that one game?),and at some point he needs to learn to put a little more thought behind his statements.

• Max-was-right springville, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 7:24 a.m.

Funny thing is this, he has been to 3 bowl games as a player. Travis Wilson, well lets think back to his bowl games....

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 12, 2014 9:20 a.m.

CFBFan
    Monterey, CA

Just tryin to maintain relations in the family. Utah State has been good to BYU, wouldn't want to offend them for the world.

But sometimes we all resemble ignorance. Like to avoid throwing anybody under the bus, though, especially one of our own.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 10:24 a.m.

From what I hear from those involved, he has a better arm, and more accurate than Taysom. I am not worried one bit about BYU's QB situation!

• truthsandwich The Bubble, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 10:45 a.m.

@Max

How'd that last bowl game go?

• Copacetic Logan, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 11:24 a.m.

Like RonBergundy pointed out, the article author, Brad Rock, blew it this time in his article.

The Aggie replacement QB whose stats were mentioned in the article was actually their 3rd string quarterback (Garretson). Harrison originally replaced Chuckie and did not do well by any measure. That's why they then went to their third stringer. Brad Rock totally missed that fact.

That in turn also shows the ignorance in comments such as that from CFBFan, which owns the actual "less-than-informed statement" he mentions.

@ Two For Flinching:

Another negative comment by a Ute fan on a BYU article. Unfortunately, that has become totally typical and expected from you, based on your past history of comments on BYU articles.

In actuality, Stewart has been performing at an extremely high level in Spring and Fall practices. In fact, at a much higher level than any of the replacement QB's the Utes sent out after their first stringer went down last season.

An even semi-knowledgeable football pundit would never try to make any kind of objective assessment of any quarterback after only 2 passes. Doing so would indicate a certain level of football ignorance.

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    Aug. 12, 2014 11:29 a.m.

truthsandwich,

It is much better to go to a bowl game and lose to a PAC12 school then to sit at home all the time!!! So glad BYU is so ill relevant that you and others feel the need to read and comment on so many BYU articles!!! Go Cougs!!! Rise up!!!

• Brio Alpine, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 11:52 a.m.

@ truthsandwich:

You asked how BYU bowl games have been going lately.
    Well, we've won 4 of the last 5 and played in 9 consecutive bowl games (and running).

In turn, let me ask you how Utah's bowl games have been going lately?
    Wait a minute. I just found out they haven't even qualified for any bowl games the past few years. So nevermind answering.

With the tough SOS the Utes have this coming season, they will most likely be sitting home yet again over the holidays... for the third consecutive year.
    But I hope I'm wrong. There was a time when Kyle's Utes were competitive in post-season play and thus fun to watch in bowl games. I like all teams from the state of Utah to do well.
    Oh, for the good old days.

• Objectified Richfield, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 12:04 p.m.

@ Two For Flinching:

Based on comments I've read of yours in the past, I'd dare bet you yourself have never handled a clipboard on the sidelines of a football game before... though you've probably always wanted to.

BTW: Since you are a known Ute fan and have never been known to have said anything positive about any Y player, you obviously meant the clipboard remark in a snide way.
    But every great QB I've ever known has spent time carrying a clipboard on the sidelines before getting his chance to show what he had. It's simply an accepted part of the process that some Ute wannabe apparently doesn't know about.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 12:41 p.m.

Nice to see RonBergundy already covered this but usu's 2nd string QB did a very poor job and was replaced. The 3rd string guy did a much better job. So Stewart was correct. Also fun to see the usu "fans" and utah "fans" get all bent about it. lol

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 1:24 p.m.

@ Copacetic

You're going to compare Stewart's fall camp performance to Utah's QBs performance on the field in actual PAC-12 games, and say with a straight face that Stewart is better? Any semi-knowledgeable football pundit would be able to figure out that a senior QB who has only thrown two incomplete passes in his entire career probably isn't great.

@ Objectified

Is that so? You're right that I've never held a clip board. Played quite a bit, but that's irrelevant in this case. We all understand how depth charts work and you don't have to be a former player to know that the best players play and guys who can't cut it at the D1 level get buried. Stewart is only number 2 because several QB's in front of him transferred. Also, I think I've been fairly objective in my assessment of BYU. Not everything I say is positive, but it's not 100% negative either.

• Laxman taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 1:36 p.m.

• Objectified Richfield, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 1:55 p.m.

@ Two For Flinching:

Of course you think your comments on BYU are objective or you wouldn't have written them. But if you could read them from an outside viewpoint, you'd see the anti-BYU bias you maintain. Go back and read your comments on other BYU articles over the past month and you might understand what I mean.

Case in point that some of the better players actually do sometimes get buried in the depth charts. Sorensen wasn't getting his chance at the D1 level so transferred to Southern Utah where he could get more of a chance to be seen. He subsequently is now in the NFL while the guys previously ahead of him on the D1 depth charts are no longer in football.
    Just shows that you shouldn't make blanket statements that the best players are always the ones who play. Depth charts are not an exact science.

If Stewart gets more of a chance to play this year, you'll be able understand in a more visual way. I've most likely been following BYU football and their practices this season much more than you. I stand by my Stewart assessment.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 2:10 p.m.

@ Objectified

We all have biases and I'm not going to pretend that I am an exception to that. However, I don't come here to spew hate or try to rile everybody up. I know there are fans who do that, but that is not my intention. I often disagree with posters or articles (I am a Utah fan after all), but I state my disagreement without attacking the original poster. If props are due or a positive comment is warranted I have no problem doing so.

As for Stewart, if he gets his chance we'll see what he's made of. However, I don't think he would be talking as big as he is if he were the one under center, not in a green jersey.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 12, 2014 3:10 p.m.

Stew: have you ever heard the saying - The best-laid plans of mice and men....? You, and all BYU fans, had better hope that he doesn't have to step up and cash the check his mouth has written.

From a Ute fan - I'm really looking forward to watching Chuckie this year.

Let the season begin!!

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 12, 2014 3:29 p.m.

Brio

"There was a time when Kyle's Utes were competitive in post-season play and thus fun to watch in bowl games."

That was when Utah played in the MWC and had an easier schedule that helped facilitate them to two semi-great seasons in 2004 and 2008. When Utah was doing well in these years, they didn't want to point out their lack of strength of schedule. Now that Utah is losing year in and year out, they don't want to bring any attention to bowl games and point out over and over their SOS.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 12, 2014 3:33 p.m.

Laxman

"I love how Cougar fans love to trash the Utes and lack of bowl games. Just remember that as bad as they have been, the Utes have still have won 4 straight over BYU. Pac 12 power!!"

Yeah, not Ute Power, or Utah power, or anything related to your school. Just PAC-12 Power. You beat BYU 4 straight, and then what else have you done? Beat Stanford once. and then...nothing. So what is Utah going to do this year when they don't have a BYU team to play this year? brag about beating a non-Utah FCS team? Good luck with that (Lax)man!

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Aug. 12, 2014 3:40 p.m.

@Laxman. Funny how the "four straight over BYU" thing is the only thing U have to crow about lately. The truth is that the true rivalry game (not against CO) has meant so much to KW and company, that they put everything they have into winning the one game. Barely.

They either forgot about the rest of the season, or had nothing left to give.

BYU, as always, recovered and went on to have a respectable season. Yes we all know the perception is that playing in the PAC creates a more difficult SOS. Maybe a couple of games. The rest of that claim is a myth.

• Objectified Richfield, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 4:13 p.m.

@ Two For Flinching:

I give you some credit for not being as negative toward BYU as other Ute fans often are, which you must admit... and visa versa. Pride often overrides objectivity and can blind people within their own bias.

As for Stewart, It's good he's showing confidence and setting positive goals. He's also been taking an inordinate number of reps. Taysom's style of play subjects him to a higher propensity for injury than traditional QB's receive. It's a high risk - high reward type of thing. As such, coaches want Stewart ready. They have others to choose from, but Stewart has set himself apart from the others. He has a canon for an arm and has been throwing the ball long and accurately in practices.
    Granted it's not the same as real game conditions. But it's the closest thing to it.

BTW: There is nothing Stewart said that wasn't true. The author got it wrong about USU, who ended up using their 3rd string QB.

@ VegasUte:

And have you ever heard the saying "Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"?
    Stewart's check is good and definitely won't bounce.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 5:56 p.m.

Classy comments from someone who has never played in a D 1 game.

typical.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 8:58 p.m.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Aug. 12, 2014 10:02 p.m.

Two For Flinching

"Big talk from a guy who's only career stats are two incomplete passes against Idaho State. Stewart holds a mean clip board though...."

So you don't like BYU, know all the players stats, and have seen them at practice learning how to be their best which means taking careful notes. Do you see what that says about you?

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 10:08 p.m.

@ Striker

It took me about five seconds to find his career stats thanks to this amazing invention called the Google.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 10:47 p.m.

Two for Flinching

Good one. Only Cougar fan thinks it is cool for a JC QB to sit in judgement of two D1 guys who have actually played against a D1 opponent.

• RonBergundy SANDY, UT
    Aug. 13, 2014 12:04 a.m.

@ 54-10

I guess if you count playing absolutely awful as having D1 experience. Kind of ironic you'd post this after seeing how bad your QBs played at the scrimmage tonight. You seen this kid Stewart play? He'd be starting for your Utes. Not his fault that he's behind an NFL athlete

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 13, 2014 7:57 a.m.

Johninslc

"I was going to comment about the wisdom of a 2nd string QB talking smack, but then I read about BYU's new t-shirt slogan and couldn't top laughing."

Kind of like all the ute fans saying they are going to the rose bowl. The rest of the PAC-12 can't stop laughing.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 13, 2014 9:18 a.m.

"Kind of like all the ute fans saying they are going to the rose bowl."

CougarSunDevil:

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 13, 2014 9:37 a.m.

Craig Harrison had 185 yards on 18-of-41 passing and a touchdown, but he fumbled the ball away in his first series and his lone TD pass came very late in the 4th quarter after the game had already been decided.

From Christian's perspective, Harrison did have an awful game, and Stewart obviously doesn't want to be "that guy" if he's called upon in a similar situation.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 13, 2014 10:47 a.m.

JohnInSLC:
    "No, that's not even as funny as all the coug fans talking about national championships every summer. The rest of the country enjoys the annual laugh."

Wait...I thought that the rest of the country didn't think BYU was "relevant". Usually people don't pay attention to what's "irrelevant" let alone enough to laugh. So which is it? Oh wait, I forgot, you're using the ute fan playbook: stand by statistics and statements that support Utah and negatively portray BYU, UNTIL the facts twist it the other way around...then simply change your tune.

Objectified:
    For what it's worth I find that 2fer is usually pretty objective and fair in his assessments. I may not like everything he says but he's usually pretty insightful. It's also hard to be objective about criticism of your team even when that criticism may be sarcastic but accurate. Just sayin...

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 13, 2014 10:51 a.m.

"You seen this kid Stewart play? He'd be starting for your Utes."

This is not the first comment like this on this thread. It's ridiculous to watch a career backup QB for 2 weeks of fall camp and determine that he would be the starter at a PAC-12 school. I think this is the result of the pre-season hype machine that the D-News fires up every year. It reminds me of the time a couple weeks before the 54-10 game, a well known BYU poster claimed that not a single Utah player, besides maybe Star, would start for BYU. Obviously that was/is far from true.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 13, 2014 11:01 a.m.

@ Cougsndawgs

I appreciate that. I try to be objective, but I do get caught up in the rivalry smack talk occasionally. I guess we all do though, right?

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 13, 2014 12:24 p.m.

2fer:
    I know I get caught up in it. I actually used to like Utah more before I read some ute fans' comments. I should not let outliers (you know which ute fans I'm talking about) have any persuasion over me but it just shows how emotional and heated this rivalry can be. I think that's a good thing as long as it doesn't get too personal or laced with religious innuendo.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 13, 2014 1:02 p.m.

JohninSLC

Yeah? You just proved that BYU is nationally recognized while Utah is simply a regional school at best, only known by the PAC-12 because of membership.

Thanks!

• taylormade1 Springville, UT
    Aug. 13, 2014 8:52 p.m.

I am really excited to watch Taysom and chuckie play this year ! They both have awesome talent and also have a great chance to preform well at the next level . Let the season begin !

• RonBergundy SANDY, UT
    Aug. 14, 2014 9:59 a.m.

@Two for Flinching

"Last season Stewart was BYU's 4th or 5th QB. He was behind Munns, Olsen, Hill, and could have been behind Green."

You, just like Mr Rock, need to check your facts before posting. Did you watch practice last year? Did Green or see any action at all last year? But wait, Stewart was the 5th string.

Stewart was splitting 2nd team reps with Olsen towards the end of the year. Once again, check your facts.

And I'll restate what I said earlier, your quarterbacks in your "scrimmage" sure looked good.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 14, 2014 4:05 p.m.

"The rest of the country enjoys the annual laugh."

cougsndawgs and cougardsundevil:

Of course, I meant the vast audience that watches BYUtv. (By the way, do you guys ever get whiplash with such split loyalties?)

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 14, 2014 9:18 p.m.

JohnInSLC:
    I know it's a difficult concept but I lived half my life in Georgia and half my life in Utah. I have a legacy of BYU assistants, athletes, and coaches and was born a blue blood. I became addicted to SEC football when I moved to Georgia in my young adult life. I loved it, and loved watching and cheering for the Dawgs. It is possible to actually like two programs and cheer for them both. I know it's difficult to comprehend such a thing but there's no whiplash here.

As for BYUtv, yes they have a vast audience...nationwide, and actually carried by DirectTV unlike a certain conference who can't quite figure it out. "Rest of the country" to most people means just what it says...I apologize if in your world that means byutv's vast audience.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    Aug. 15, 2014 9:12 a.m.

Cougsndawgs

Of course, you're absolutely correct. Not only are BYU sports watched nationwide on BYUtv, they're watched world-wide by thousands of BYU fans.

The kids on the hill sometimes have a difficult time seeing outside of their crimson-colored bubble.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 15, 2014 7:25 p.m.

"So just a reality check for everyone. Last season Stewart was BYU's 4th or 5th QB. He was behind Munns, Olsen, Hill, and could have been behind Green. What we do know is that without players in front of him transferring Stewart would be, at best, the third guy up. He would not be the starter at Utah."

This kid needs a reality-check. Imagine him making his first start at Oregon. AS was a part of the reason we were neck-and-neck with them well into the 3rd quarter. This kid would be 7th-string on our team. Only at byu and having never, ever played against a back to back weekly grind, ever, does such self-delusion run rampant.

• dalehowie34 Lehi, UT
    Aug. 15, 2014 11:50 p.m.

“Every team needs a great No. 2 quarterback. If you look at Utah and Utah State last year, their second-string guys came in and did horrible. I’m not planning on being that guy.”

CLASSY!

• Royce Bybee Orem, UT
    Aug. 16, 2014 9:26 p.m.

Brad, you're one of the best sports writers around, but on this one Christian Stewart was correct (though he could have been more diplomatic in the way it was stated). The Utah backup had a rough time and so did Craig Harrison, the USU backup. Darell Garretson was not the backup, he was third string.