Utah Utes show off new uniforms with mountain theme

Comments

• RSL* Why, AZ
    Aug. 6, 2014 3:28 p.m.

The uniform is a meh.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 6, 2014 3:30 p.m.

"Strong like our mountains"

Go UTES. Cant wait to get this 7-5 season underway as we cheer the premier university in the state onto victory against some of the best teams in the entire country.

Proud Ute
    Proud Pac 12 member

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Aug. 6, 2014 3:44 p.m.

The sleeves don't look like mountains, they look like spider webs - spiderman uniforms!

Whatever it takes to win, go spidey, er, Utes!

• Cougar on The Hill Midvale, UT
    Aug. 6, 2014 3:49 p.m.

These should only last one season. They're not terrible, I just don't see the mountains staying on the sleeves for very long.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Aug. 6, 2014 3:52 p.m.

The uniforms are horrible. Under Armour is out-Nike-ing Nike.

• UteNationAlum Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 6, 2014 4:08 p.m.

I honestly need to see more pictures of these unis with pads on before I can make a solid judgement. This Twitter pick looks better than I thought. But without pads they definitely look pretty meh to me.

• Tomahawk Red San Francisco, CA
    Aug. 6, 2014 4:13 p.m.

Meh.

Thought they would be better. And I don't know why Utah can't do a decent reveal like every other program does.

No new helmet either. Same old Utah lack of vision.

• The Anti Chris Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 6, 2014 4:19 p.m.

I agree with Kralon. They look cartoonish.
    I was sure that they would have put a pac sticker on the uniform.

• Hochmut West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 6, 2014 4:27 p.m.

Eh, Pride of the Wasatch?

• jonkay New York, NY
    Aug. 6, 2014 4:27 p.m.

Happy Mountains brought to you by Bob Ross.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 6, 2014 4:35 p.m.

nice look

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 6, 2014 4:36 p.m.

Love em.

Thanks Under Armour.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 6, 2014 5:04 p.m.

They look Awesome!

• positivethinker Magna, UT
    Aug. 6, 2014 5:12 p.m.

I Like The Mountains.....Sure Beats The Bibs !

• Utefan4Lyf West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 6, 2014 5:23 p.m.

Saw them at the Red Zone today. Not horrible, but I like the clean sleeves better.

• 32843 PROVO, UT
    Aug. 6, 2014 5:31 p.m.

Bleacher Report ranked the top CFB uni's for 2014 and they ranked BYU as the sixth best uni in the country. OR,no surprise, was ranked #1 best uni in CFB. Have a nice day.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 6, 2014 5:37 p.m.

Awful. Truly awful.

• Mr. Caveman Omaha, NE
    Aug. 6, 2014 6:02 p.m.

Made from rock? Can it get any cheesier? Utah is the new Maryland.

• IRS Agent PROVO, UT
    Aug. 6, 2014 6:06 p.m.

They match the team's performance in the PAC - horrible.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Aug. 6, 2014 6:21 p.m.

In my opinion, if the sleeves were 3 inches shorter, the mountains wouldn't look so jarring. I guess you want to be on the leading edge of design without going too far. On the other hand, that certainly brings a lot of attention to Oregon (love them or hate them, you always look for the Oregon uniform).

• UteinIdaho Sandpoint, ID
    Aug. 6, 2014 7:15 p.m.

I like them. Would be much better if they did new helmets too, but I still like them.

• IQ92 hi, UT
    Aug. 6, 2014 7:18 p.m.

First take, shoulders some sort of fractured something. Second thought, spiderweb.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Aug. 6, 2014 7:40 p.m.

keep em. so awesome

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    Aug. 6, 2014 8:39 p.m.

The new uniforms will give "winning ugly" no meaning...I hope. Tired of losing ugly!

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    Aug. 6, 2014 8:55 p.m.

Correction: The new uniforms will give "winning ugly" new meaning...

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Aug. 6, 2014 9:11 p.m.

The sleeve cap graphic is too noisy and fights for attention with that large black sleeve.
    Maybe it will look more spaced out with pads on. What do the pants look like ? I like the helmets.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 6, 2014 9:56 p.m.

When I first saw them a few days ago my first impression was Spiderman as well.

These unhappy comments are funny. :(

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Aug. 6, 2014 9:57 p.m.

Glad to hear the players like them. Personally I'm not thrilled.

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Aug. 6, 2014 11:17 p.m.

What? You mean the PAC12 logo isn't going to be plastered all over them?

• AltaHawkFan Sandy, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 1:58 a.m.

Are the utes celebrating a return to the Mountain West conference ? Must be since Chris B is calling for a 7-5 record. I love how positivethinker is comparing them to the bibs ... very appropriate.

• spudontheweb Aberdeen, ID
    Aug. 7, 2014 2:10 a.m.

keep dreaming chris B

• Jeff ls Farr West, 84404
    Aug. 7, 2014 6:26 a.m.

I live and die cougar blue. I don't think they look bad, but they do look real snug. I wonder how they will look with the pads on. Will they be too snug? Best of luck in your season this year. Health to Wilson. Success to Kyle. This Cougar fan knows more and watches you more than most of your fans. I have respect for your teams but not your fans.
    Jeff

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Aug. 7, 2014 6:27 a.m.

I'd seen worse....like our "black out" camouflage unis of 2010. But still, I don't like 'em. Why can't we just wear something "classic". The only thing wrong with the simple and austere uniforms we wore back in the 1990s, was that they weren't "crimson". They were "scarlet". Football shouldn't be a fashion show. Stanford totally has it right. UCLA has done a pretty good job too, and I've been really liking Colorado's lately.

I hope this jersey doesn't return next Fall.

GO UTES!!!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 7:03 a.m.

I think they put the mountains there because after another losing season they are going to be wishing they were back in the MWC where they could have a winning record and earn a bowl bid. Well, I guess having lots of money and lots of big brothers is a good tradeoff for being a conference whipping boy.

• 81Ute Central, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 8:39 a.m.

**yawn** I never have been much for fashion statements, except for the other schools Bib uniforms a few years back. Very slick.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Aug. 7, 2014 8:57 a.m.

I like the Mountain West Conference theme.

• Cletus from Coalville Coalville, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 8:57 a.m.

They will make us way cool and premier.

Go Utes!

• JCC75 SEATTLE, WA
    Aug. 7, 2014 9:03 a.m.

The sleeves with the mountains are horrible

• TheGreatPAC12 Salt Lake City, 00
    Aug. 7, 2014 10:22 a.m.

Awesome! Shows the greatness and majestic qualities the Utes possess.

Proud PAC12 member

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 10:25 a.m.

I'm glad we don't play them because I'm sick of 4 straight years of beating ourselves and having refs make us loose.

• Scores Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 7, 2014 10:40 a.m.

Who cares!

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 10:51 a.m.

Do they spray paint these on? Those aren't snug... they're too small. Don't send the check yet coach. Like most Underarmor they look like solid gold dancer spandex but without the curves. And are the pads getting small nowadays because these won't allow for pads too. Looks like Underarmor sent the Rugby jerseys to the wrong team

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    Aug. 7, 2014 11:29 a.m.

They're fine. At least there's no bibs or corny slogan on them. And BYU fans, admit it. You would give anything to have a Pac12 logo on your uniforms.

• Fashion Police Olympus Cove, Utah
    Aug. 7, 2014 11:35 a.m.

positivethinker

"I Like The Mountains.....Sure Beats The Bibs !"

If your standard of a great uniform design is simply being "better than the bibs", you certainly haven't set a very high standard.

The truth is, they're embarrassing.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Aug. 7, 2014 11:44 a.m.

Spiderman! That's the first thing I thought. They look very comic book and I mean comic book not in a cool, buff and strong, techno way--but more of a Halloween dress up way.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 11:51 a.m.

I would put these about on par with BYU's bib uniforms. They just look tacky. The mountain theme could have looked really cool on the helmets, but the rest of the uniform should have stayed more standard. So they basically did the opposite of what they should have done. There's nothing wrong with a modern look (a la Oregon), but it still needs to hearken back to the classic design to avoid looking tacky. This looks like someone ironed on some Boy Scout council patches.

• Royal ACP Logan, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 11:53 a.m.

"Strong like the Mountains..." Haha CU is gonna beat U this year, the Unis are icing on the cake.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 1:32 p.m.

The uni's are ugly, every bit as bad as the BYU bibs. BYU learned and went back to a simpler, classic look. utah will learn as well.

The thing is utah should have some of the best looking uni's around, in fact some of the ones they've had over the last few years are really sharp. Red as a color really pops out to you all on its own, it doesn't need a bunch of busy weird stuff added to it, in fact that stuff distracts from it. One of my favorite scenes from college football is the one from 2004 where the utah fans rush the field, not because I cared about them going undefeated it was just that sea of red swarming onto the field looked really cool.

They did a black out uni a few years ago where the uni itself was all black but the helmet was red, it looked great, the contrast between the red and the black just stands out prominantly while also going well together.

Someone needs to tell them they already have all they need and to scale it back with the busy highlights.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 1:39 p.m.

@ SLCWatch

Modern football jerseys are light weight and very tight.

• U-tar Woodland Hills, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 2:30 p.m.

Fitting for roller derby, or deer hunting

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 2:43 p.m.

I'm surprised someone hasn't been offended by the uniforms yet. I'm sure one of the student body presidents will find a reason to be offended and try to change the uniform....maybe they'll get rid of the red uniform, because people once called Native Americans "red men", or maybe it's not diverse enough because it's only red, white and black...

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 3:00 p.m.

@ Duckhunter

Amen.

Utah had it perfect in 1994. Actually, anything between 1994-1999 would be fine with me.

• AggieFan4Ever Logan, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 3:30 p.m.

Those don't look good at all... The sleeves themselves don't look terrible, but they just look really out of place when combined with the rest of the jersey and it looks awful. They should take the same approach as BYUseless and Utah State have: Simpler is better.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 4:34 p.m.

The socks might be the worst part, just awful.

• Robroy Murray, utah
    Aug. 7, 2014 5:13 p.m.

I think too many mountain peaks will be offended by these ugly uniforms. In that spirit I would also vote for changing that offensive name of utes to The Mighty Swoops. Then you could have a picture of that big red chicken on the sleeves.

• Tomahawk Red San Francisco, CA
    Aug. 7, 2014 5:27 p.m.

Naval Vet
    Philadelphia, PA

----------

We are still scarlet.

Alabama/Oklahoma is crimson.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 7:43 p.m.

USU has the best looking uniforms right now.

• manaen Buena Park, CA
    Aug. 8, 2014 12:48 a.m.

Wow! Talk about going all out -- if Craig Thompson doesn't let you return after this, I don't know what to try next.

• SCfan clearfield, UT
    Aug. 8, 2014 6:42 a.m.

Just occured to me looking at the picture and all that red color. Utes, isn't that a Native American (Indian) tribe? And to wear "red" as the color. Washington D.C. do we have a problem here? There certainly is more red color on the Ute uniform than there is on that team back in D.C. which is getting all the negative attention about color. They go by the name of............. what was it?

• Christy B Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 8, 2014 7:55 a.m.

Little spiderman cap sleeves, how cute are those?

• TroyTown Anaheim, CA
    Aug. 8, 2014 8:01 a.m.

The Utes are going to learn what the Cougars felt like wearing those ridiculous bibs.

• JapanCougar Apo, AP
    Aug. 10, 2014 9:23 a.m.

Am I the only one who finds it hilarious to read a bunch of grown men comment on fashion?

This is probably the only venue where men can come together and discuss fashion.

I agree with Duckhunter, red pops out and doesn't need a lot of additional design to look good. Yellow and Green, on the other hand....