BYU's first fall practice overshadowed by news of Jamaal Williams' 1-game suspension

Comments

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 1, 2014 10:24 p.m.

BYU is always a class act in handling these situations. They care more about the development of these young men as future husbands, fathers, and leaders in the community one day after football is all over than anything else. I am sure Williams will mature and grow through this experience. This had to be a really tough call by Bronco!

Go Cougars!

• Uncle festis Pasadena, CA
    Aug. 1, 2014 10:30 p.m.

Gunther from 1320kfan said that jamal williams is one of the best athletes on the planet, Gunther has now found his way to the unlistenable category of sports radio along with David james and David Locke.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Aug. 1, 2014 10:36 p.m.

We all make mistakes and have to pay the price of those mistakes either now or later. Jamaal seems to have a great attitude and hopefully he can keep his promise that it will never happen again. Good luck to him!

Go Cougars

• John Charity Spring Back Home in Davis County, UT
    Aug. 1, 2014 10:41 p.m.

Some will say that the suspension of Williams is unjustified. But as Abraham Lincoln famously stated, "Whenever the vicious portion of the population shall be permitted to gather in bands of hundreds and thousands, and burn churches, ravage and rob provision stores, throw printing presses into rivers, shoot editors, and hang and burn obnoxious persons at pleasure, and with impunity; depend on it, this government cannot last."

This quote sums up the Williams situation perfectly. BYU cannot allow flagrant honor code violations to go unpunished. The team will be perfectly fine, with running backs who are just as good as Williams getting a chance to shine.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Aug. 2, 2014 12:48 a.m.

I love Williams... I love his openness, and I love his candor (not to mention the unbelievable talent that this guy has on the field... In 2 years he will be playing on Sunday, mark it down)... Most of all however, I love how objective he his...

They say that the measure of the worth of a man is not the fact that he has been knocked down, but if and how he picks himself up and continues on... This guy is a leader, I see it in everything he says and in how his fellow players react to him...

I hate the fact that he won't be playing in that first game, I wish it wasn't the case almost as much as I am sure he wishes... But I can tell this is going to be a very special season for Williams... He has skill and he has class, a wicked combination, and because of that I am certain that I will be following the Football news on him long after he leaves Cougarville.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 2, 2014 2:12 a.m.

I said it the other day, these things are going to happen with people (young and old). One could and will compare or give their opinion on what BYU does in comparison to other universities when dealing with these situations. But casting stones at a player or making a judgment there is something I don't condone.

We all know BYU has the honor code and things work different at BYU. I am okay with that. What gets my attention is the honor code office and how similar situations vary in penalty. It's not an issue to me how BYU once handled these things and how they do now because I can get over the changes in time with the turnover of university presidents, new head coaches, and new attitudes towards problems in time and place. But although there are individual spiritual considerations, it's hard to look at the vast differences in so called punishment from student to student and player to player and put great stock into the honor code decision makers. Bronco seems to have changed a little (more lenient), or his voice has more weight in communication with the honor code office.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 2, 2014 2:26 a.m.

A universities self interests are always the focus for criticism in dealing with players in trouble. BYU has often escaped this criticism when in the past profile players HAVE paid an obvious cost for a mistake or sin despite the obvious on field loss to the team because of BYU's suspended player. Although to me, there have also been some curious decisions over the last 35 years but I won't venture there.

What we do see in college sports as a whole though, is universities often going light on penalty in favor of their subjective interests. How often do we hear that "the university is handling things internally" comment? For BYU this makes sense. The honor code is an internal thing. But then again, BYU does turn things over to law enforcement when laws are broken outside of moral type honer code situations that aren't an illegal type matter. But for other schools that deal with laws being broken by turning away from that societal call for action/penalty and in opposition just say "we are handling it internally" is like telling the bank robbers accusers that Mom will handle Billy at home instead.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 2, 2014 2:41 a.m.

Moving on, Jamaal Williams seems to me from the outside looking in to be a good fit in Provo, and not just on the field either. He looks like he fits in down south in Provo to me and brings diversity to the school. So this is unfortunate for him a little, but the one game suspension will pass and BYU should handle UConn regardless. The team has to be more than Jamaal Williams if they are going to run the table this year.

Uconn is awful. Williams will be back @ Texas and that might work in BYU's favor. I wouldn't show my offensive playbook against UConn as BYU could just toss them around. Texas will be looking to focus on Hill after BYU gave them the beat down last year. Williams could run wild. But beware, BYU has a history under Bronco of starting off the season slow.

Utah beat BYU with Jon White IV missing the rivalry game his senior year and Jon Hayes starting at QB. Thus BYU should handle the lowly Huskies. I took my shot and made myself a target. Are there any duck hunters nearby? I better take cover.

• UCONN Storrs, CT
    Aug. 2, 2014 3:38 a.m.

Bummer. Good player and I hoped to see him play live this year in Hartford. However, a little relieved the Huskies have one less problem to worry about in their uphill battle to restore the football program.

Good luck, Cougs. Go Huskies and Go Utes!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 2, 2014 4:49 a.m.

That took guts. We will look forward to that Texas game and Williams return.

And buried in the explosive headline we now know that Harvey Langi is a Cougar. Well, well, well... isn't it interesting how things come about. Three + weeks of absolute silence on the subject and here's Harvey at practice on Friday.

Hmmm, he's not having to sit for a year? Obviously Vai had a few things correct in his story.

"As far as I'm concerned, he's a Ute," he told me. "I'm not releasing him."

Sorry Whit and Ute fans... as I said, in the absence of an LOI and two years later, he's fair game. No loophole here.

Welcome Harvey!

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    Aug. 2, 2014 5:31 a.m.

John Charity Spring
    Back Home in Davis County, UT

I agree that he should have known that because of his celebrity any mis-step will be noted and duly reported. It was special that he self-reported his suspension to the press.

Furthermore,yes "The team will be perfectly fine,...." But the clause "... with running backs who are just as good as Williams getting a chance to shine." makes me wonder if you've been watching these young men.

• cougar76 Raleigh, NC
    Aug. 2, 2014 7:49 a.m.

Bit of a stretch putting Jamaal in the same category as the anarchists Mr. Lincoln was talking about. He is just a kid learning the lessons of life. He is blessed to have role models like his mother, his coaches and team mates to help him learn those lessons.

• Jefe-Ute Richmond, VA
    Aug. 2, 2014 8:39 a.m.

Too bad about Williams. Punishment is fair in my eyes. Hopefully he learns from the mistake and moves on, focuses on football and gets a chance at the NFL.

As for Langi, that's a real shame. Real shame. With 2 projected starters out at LB, he had a real chance to make a difference in the U's defense. Utah fans can be bitter and say we don't need him, but I hate to let a player go after only 1 season, TF at that. I hope he succeeds. He could have been playing against the best of the best, and now he will be playing Savannah State.

• Aurelius maximus Berryville, VA
    Aug. 2, 2014 9:02 a.m.

"Williams will be back @ Texas and that might work in BYU's favor. I wouldn't show my offensive playbook against UConn as BYU could just toss them around. Texas will be looking to focus on Hill after BYU gave them the beat down last year. Williams could run wild. But beware, BYU has a history under Bronco of starting off the season slow."

I was thinking the same thing. He will be ready to Run all over the Texans.

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    Aug. 2, 2014 9:39 a.m.

Would a regular student have been kicked out of BYU for the same infraction ?

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 2, 2014 10:20 a.m.

I like the way this was handled. BYU was ready to say "one game suspension for breaking team rules," and Jamaal came out on his own to spill the beans, essentially sparing Bronco a bunch of annoying questions. Jamaal is making it clear to the public that he is owning it. My respect for him just went up a couple notches.

• cougala Akron, OH
    Aug. 2, 2014 10:33 a.m.

Jamaal is already a star and shows it in more ways than on the field. Go Cougars!

• John Charity Spring Back Home in Davis County, UT
    Aug. 2, 2014 11:40 a.m.

I wold like to inform Mr Old But Not that I have been carefully watching, in person. There are at least three running backs who are as good, if not better than Williams. The stats are deceiving because Williams gets 90% of the carries. If any of the others got that volume of carries, they would have just as many yards. For instance, Honestly had more yards on fewer carries in the Idaho State game

By the way, Lincoln was not talking about anarchy. He was talking about the general citizenry run amok.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Aug. 2, 2014 11:45 a.m.

Even as a Utah fan, I admit I appreciate how Bronco is one of the few coaches who backs up his talk in terms of holdings kids to a high standard.

Frankly, I wish all coaches were more like Bronco in this. The fact that other schools don't have an honor code has nothing to do with it - all program should demand a high standard for those who represent their schools and their communities.

As a fan of the university of Utah, those kids not only represent my school, but also my state and also to a large extent the LDS church as well. I travel a lot for work and nearly every time I mention I'm from Utah, I'm eventually asked whether I'm Mormon or not. Point is, people outside of Utah associate Utah with Mormons, so in a very real sense what happens at the University of Utah will be construed(either positively or negatively by many in the country to being from Mormons.

Every coach in the nation would say underage drinking is serious if they were asked.

Very few back up their talk

Hat is off to Bronco for backing it up.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Aug. 2, 2014 12:26 p.m.

The answer to RunnerGuy's question is simple: no.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Aug. 2, 2014 12:41 p.m.

@gdog3finally
    West Jordan, Utah

"...BYU should handle UConn regardless...Uconn is awful...I wouldn't show my offensive playbook against UConn as BYU could just toss them around."

C'mon dude, it's precisely this kind of cockiness that makes me grimaced with pain when we end up getting embarrassed! Have you quickly forgotten the debacle at Virginia last year? There is so much parity in college football today that we should never underestimate anyone.

As for Mr. Williams' suspension, I'm sad to hear about it but glad he's handling it well. Hope it's going to be a special season!

Go Cougars!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 2, 2014 1:15 p.m.

@runnerguy50

Nope, I know from experience.

• JDL Magna, UT
    Aug. 2, 2014 1:54 p.m.

@ runnerguy50

I will say NO, not necessarily. BYU is a wholly owned and operated institution of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints and each member, even at BYU has a bishop who the member student is accountable to. The member student and his/her bishop work together to resolve problems. Most often it is handled very quietly and personally and depending on the problem, students remorse or attitude in wanting to make things right, many things never make it to the Honor Code office and if they do, I suspect the bishop has much to do with the decision of the Honor Code office.

In the case of non LDS student athletes, I'm not sure how the ecclesiastical thing works but in either case I would still answer your question no,not necessarily.

• JDL Magna, UT
    Aug. 2, 2014 2:06 p.m.

Just my opinion but I thought I'd express it anyway. Words mean things and too often in a case like this, the word mistake is used in an attempt to soften the reality of the situation and side steps accountability. I prefer to use the word choice because it infers, right from the start some element of accountability for an action.

A mistake to me is driving past an exit because I was listening intently to the Cougar call in show or forgetting to carry a number in a simple math problem or scorching the oatmeal by forgetting to turn the heat down

A choice is drinking alcohol when knowing it violates the honor code or running a red light after you signed and received your driver license.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Aug. 2, 2014 2:07 p.m.

runnerguy-- No, not for this sort of thing. Despite what others may try to tell you, BYU tries quite hard to work with student before they get kicked out. There would be a probation sort of thing first. Good question, though.

• ManInTheMiddle SANDY, UT
    Aug. 2, 2014 2:17 p.m.

Welcome to Provo Harvey!!!!

runnerguy50 - my roommate had the same issue at BYU (underage alcohol arrest) - other than a few meetings with the honor code he had no consequences - accordingly Jamal's punishment is a worse punishment than my roommates.'

• utesgoingdownthehill Salt Lake City , UT
    Aug. 2, 2014 2:40 p.m.

Runnerguy50,
    No a regular student wouldn't be kicked out of BYU for drinking unless the student repeats multiple time. When I was at BYU I knew few students who didn't get kicked out for drinking.

• Mark321 Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 2, 2014 5:14 p.m.

@ Ken

Well said Ken. Well said.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 2, 2014 5:54 p.m.

Quote interesting that Harvey is going to play linebacker despite utah "fans" telling us he was doing it to play RB because he couldn't make it as a RB at utah. Then of course there was whittingham's "frantic and emotional" response when he was informed Harvey was leaving the sinking ship that he "wouldn't release him" because he is "a ute".

There appear to be lots of things that utah "fans" claim to "know" that they obviously don't know at all.

I wonder what they will "know" next. Chase Hansen is less than a year away from returning from his mission, I wonder what utah "fans" "know" about his situation?

• Bountiful Guy Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 2, 2014 6:43 p.m.

What troubles me is the year after year, player after player who make the same mistake, and more than once even after getting caught. If they lose the first game, all they can say is, I'm sorry. I'm glad he's sorry, but it's just tough to hear these kids tell the same old sorry story and not learn from the mistakes of others. Good luck Cougars and best wishes to Jamaal. I've lowered my expectations again another notch.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 2, 2014 7:38 p.m.

Let him play. Anywhere else there would not be a suspension. Jim McMahon would have never played.

• UCONN Storrs, CT
    Aug. 2, 2014 7:57 p.m.

gdog, if UConn were in the same situation as the last three years since their Fiesta Bowl year, I'd agree wholeheartedly with your assessment. But I'd say they are an unknown at this point now with a head coaching (and nearly entire coaching staff) overhaul. While the players are not, the staff is actually pretty familiar with BYU, as the HC spent the last four years at Notre Dame, the last two as DC and went 2-0 against the Cougars, with 3 of his assistant coaches also beating BYU last year at Notre Dame and UVA. The team will definitely improve with this staff, but whether it will be right from the first game is in question. But I certainly hope they will be.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 2, 2014 10:57 p.m.

@John Charity Spring

You don't see Williams as as special talent? I like the kids game. He has big play potential and is a smaller back that is durable.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 2, 2014 11:04 p.m.

@Big Samoan

Yeah I don't think UConn is a gimme either. But I do think BYU will have a really good defense this year, one that will shut down UConn. If BYU can run the football with a lead, if that's how it works out early, then yeah I wouldn't show Texas too much of what I think BYU will throw their way the following week. I know some BYU fans want Anae to open up the playbook more, and I think he will this year in Taysom Hill's second year as a starter and evolving passer, but running the ball is great if you are effective at it, especially if you have a solid defense. Plus you take away Hill throwing too often and making mistakes.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 3, 2014 12:46 a.m.

@ Duckhunter

We know his new mission president is a BYU booster who has a son that plays on the team; which isn't suspicious at all *wink*

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Aug. 3, 2014 9:57 a.m.

Wow, this is the first article I think I have read all year that actually talks football. I can't wait for the season to start! I want to believe all the preseason hype, but previous years have disappointed me. That being said, I do not see how BYU's offence can not improve. Go Cougars!

• Fball Fanatic Salem, UT, UT
    Aug. 3, 2014 4:09 p.m.

Let me see if I understand this. Jon Ryheem Peoples recently had his scholarship pulled due to "not meeting the goals" that Coach Bronco has set forth (SLT Article). Those goals included his weight, BMI and GPA in which Peoples claims he "just fell short" in each category. However, Jamal Williams has two separate run ins with the police this year and now multiple infractions pertaining to the Word of Wisdom and only faces a one game suspension? How does that make sense? Do we practice the consistency and discipline that we so freely preach? Or does it just pay dividends to be a starter and a pre-season award winning candidate? I am sensing a Get Out of Jail Free card being issued here (again).

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 4, 2014 9:17 a.m.

Duckhunter,

Where's your proof the Whitt's response was frantic and emotional? It seems like you want proof from others, but you don't follow the same standard yourself.

Hearing Bronco state that Harvey made the decision to switch to defense, validates what was reported on Ute Zone. Ute Zone reported that prior to making his decision to switch to BYU, Harvey had contacted Ute coaches and asked to be moved to defense. So anyone trying to claim that prompted his decision to switch schools hasn't done their homework.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 4, 2014 9:25 a.m.

Good for William's for owning up and receiving a one game suspension with grace. Anyone wonder if Travis Wilson will receive a one game suspension for a similar infraction? I didn't think so either!!

Laughable how two different schools established buy the same person can have such different values so many years later.
    This will be a special year for the Cougs and they are LOADED with running back talent

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 4, 2014 1:41 p.m.

Fball fanatic,

Where is your evidence Williams had multiple run ins with the police and where is the evidence of multiple Word of Wisdom infractions? You wouldn't make things up would you?

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 4, 2014 3:35 p.m.

Down under:

"Anyone wonder if Travis Wilson will receive a one game suspension for a similar infraction?"

While TW did have a somewhat similar infraction, it is clear from the article that it was not Jamaal's underage drinking (that everyone knows bout) alone, but that and subsequent events that got him suspended the one game. You are mixing apples and oranges.

I am glad to see Jamaal addressing the issue head on and taking responsibility, unlike the kid from Arizona who walked away from the team rather than accept the consequences of his actions. He seems like a stand up kid and I hope he does well for your team.

Let's let these kids live their lives now.

Can't the season start already?!?

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 4, 2014 4:09 p.m.

@JCS
    "This quote sums up the Williams situation perfectly. "

No, it really doesn't, and it certainly doesn't sum up 6 completely different situations perfectly either.