Faith

Turkish official: Women shouldn’t laugh in public

Comments

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    July 31, 2014 1:41 p.m.

Just curious, what can a person who is a Moslem do to enjoy life? Is seems the answer is no for almost everything.

How anyone stays in this religion is a riddle wrapped inside an mystery wrapped inside an enigma. (WC)

• Hamath Omaha, NE
    Aug. 1, 2014 5:54 a.m.

Laughter is a smile that burst. ~Mary H. Wildrip

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.  ~Victor Hugo

I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.  ~Woody Allen

Laugh away!

• gmlewis Houston, TX
    Aug. 1, 2014 8:53 a.m.

True religion brings eternal joy, although it is punctuated with occasional, temporary, heart-breaking sorrow. For such times, laughter is the only remedy.

I fear that the women in those Islamic countries need that laughter more than anyone else.

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    Aug. 1, 2014 9:35 a.m.

I haven't the foggiest idea what the point of such a prohibition is. Happy lighthearted nonsarcastic laughter is good for the soul. When times are tough, I know there is love at home when the kids, my wife, and me are able to laugh together. I like to see my wife bright-eyed and bushy tailed. It makes me feel good as a man.

• ordinaryfolks seattle, WA
    Aug. 2, 2014 9:58 p.m.

This is the kind of thing that happens in a single religion dominated country. Inevitably the fundamentalists will take over, and force their perverted views on the majority.

Beware what you wish for, it can happen here in this country.

• Ranch Here, UT
    Aug. 3, 2014 5:59 p.m.

Religion is probably a woman's worst enemy and it has been so throughout history.

• JDL Magna, UT
    Aug. 3, 2014 8:18 p.m.

Ranch,

I think if you were to ask many religious women, you would get a different outlook from then. Another perspective, however, is that lack of pure religion is probably societies worst enemy.

People mock, out of ignorance and arrogance things they don't understand, often to their own shame.

The comments on laughter in public on the surface may be laughable to me and I don't particularly agree but I give him space and right to say what he believes, especially in light of the cultural setting from which he comes. I would more strongly protest if he insinuated or espoused punishment for such laughing.

His comments on chastity, fidelity and love of a husband and wife is spot on and should have been the center of the headline.