Utah

Republican, Democratic political insiders say Utah should keep Common Core

Comments

• ute alumni SLC, UT
    July 30, 2014 3:07 p.m.

If that is what the "insiders" say, then let's make them outsiders very soon. I doubt any of them know the first thing about common core...less

• BrentBot Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2014 3:33 p.m.

The insiders don't know anything about education. Why are the teachers in New York and Illinois opposed to Common Core? Why is "progressive" propaganda infused in the History Standards which pay scant attention to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers?

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    July 30, 2014 3:37 p.m.

Any legislator who supports Common Core needs to be voted out of office.

Study how, where and when Common Core came about and you'll find it's just one more notch, on the agenda, the socialists have put forth to indoctrinate our children. Look beyond the standards, dig deeper and you'll walk away from it too.

• Kings Court Alpine, UT
    July 30, 2014 3:43 p.m.

My kid was made to give a blood sample when taking the SAGE test.

• ODannyBoy Sandy, Utah
    July 30, 2014 3:52 p.m.

The indication from the survey is that the 'outsiders" know very little, but have strong opinions about what they don't know. Rabble rousing the base with half truths and falsehoods is not productive.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    July 30, 2014 4:00 p.m.

Ute alumni... then you tell us.... what is wrong with Common Core? Based on your research of the subject, and your willingness to discredit those who support the standard, Name one specific thing it dictates that you object to. A reference would be appreciated.

• Highlanddude Highland, UT
    July 30, 2014 4:09 p.m.

When state "insiders" sell us out to the federals its time to look forward to the next election. We need a census of who is selling out.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    July 30, 2014 4:26 p.m.

Many tax payers, don't have children attending schools, and have no excess to what they are paying for. We don't know what common core is teaching. We only have hear say.

I have gone to five different schools wanting to rent a few textbooks, only to be turned down.

• ute alumni SLC, UT
    July 30, 2014 5:05 p.m.

if you have to ask what is wrong you obviously are clueless. there are hundreds of reasons, but to me and millions of other patriots, federal control and edicts over our children is not a good course of action. if you would look at history, anytime a federal government controls what our youth are taught nothing good comes of it.....germany, japan, italy, china, vietnam and the list goes on. there are billions of dollars to be made with businesses cuddling up to this program. the fact obama and his liberal pals are for it should give a person a clue that it can't be a good thing. numerous national surveys and articles in the washington post, new york times tell a grim story of the fallacies and problems with common core, less. you might try reading up on it rather than swallow the liberal talking points.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    July 30, 2014 5:15 p.m.

When parents say "we need to keep decisions at a local level", it just means "our kids need dumber standards".

• Linus Bountiful, UT
    July 30, 2014 5:16 p.m.

I'm betting that these political "insiders" don't help elementary students with their homework. And I'm betting they have never reviewed the personally intrusive test questions asked of students under Common Core. Why, oh why do we have to be governed by folks so ill informed?

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2014 5:42 p.m.

UtahBlueDevil

Durham, NC

then you tell us.... what is right with Common Core? Based on your research of the subject, and your willingness to discredit those who oppose the standard, Name one specific thing it dictates that you object to. A reference would be appreciated

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2014 5:47 p.m.

I am a proponent of Common Core. What reasons do people have for battling against it? We need standardized approaches to education. These common standards are made on a state, not a national, level (As many seem to think). A competent teacher can teach the material with great success.
    Some of the biggest gripes I have heard from actual elementary teachers have been about the math. It is "too hard" they say. Too hard? You are getting beaten up by 3rd grade math? Really? If I was that bad at math I would never publicly admit it. Please tell me you do not also read on a 3rd grade level.
    The talk of "socialists" is...disturbing. Looking at the Utah Common Core materials for language arts, there are example texts on slavery and the Civil Rights Movement. Which part of the abolishment of slavery is too "socialist" for you?

Utah has become far too full of radical reactionaries I feel.

• Deseretina Murray, UT
    July 30, 2014 5:58 p.m.

• Crisco B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2014 6:01 p.m.

@BrentBot. As Vladhagen mentions, there are suggested (Grades 6-8, I'm looking at the Core standards document straight from USOE as I write) texts of historical value that focus on slavery and racial civil rights (e.g. Autobiography of Frederick Douglass). These movements were progressive, true. And I hope that even in the most conservative state of Utah that we can embrace these movements.

Right along side these historical works there are texts suggested like "Letter on Thomas Jefferson" by John Adams. We consider both these men Founding Fathers. The Core Statndards also have a text that is listed as a historically "exemplar" document called "Preamble and First Amendment to the United States Constitution." And it means that 1787 document that was in fact rather "progressive" for its day. And was written by our beloved Founding Fathers.

I vote Republican. I am in favor of gun rights. I oppose abortion. I oppose the federal government taking over my life. And I am in favor of Common Core.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2014 6:04 p.m.

What does Utah's Common Core have to do with NY or IL? CC is implemented on a state by state basis. NY has nothing to do with UT's CC Standards.

• SLC Grandma Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2014 6:06 p.m.

Would anyone care to take the time to delineate the pros and cons of Common Core, with specific examples, so those of us without students in the household currently could better understand the controversy? I don't favor federal intrusion into local affairs and sometimes "standardization" is not beneficial, but it would be helpful to know more specifics about this. Thanks.

• Star Bright Salt Lake City, Ut
    July 30, 2014 6:17 p.m.

Well governor Herbert I hope you are reading some of the comments. My granddaughter was taken out of the 4th grade because of the testing, testing, testing. If you've ever helped with their math homework you will know why kids are hating it. It was making her a very unhappy little girl.
    This data mining is horrible. The kids are followed all the way through school, I know they've been doing that, but they also keep track of the families. No, I don't want that. None of their business.

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    July 30, 2014 6:20 p.m.

The common core is fine, but my children don't even have text books. We used to be able to take textbooks home to read, and work sample problems. Now it is all worksheets. Without a textbook, there is nowhere to go to see examples.

Utah is falling behind in Math and Science. Getting textbooks for students would be a great place to start catching up.

• BrentBot Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2014 6:34 p.m.

• dogchow1 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2014 6:35 p.m.

Anytime you have republicans in cahoots with democrats, it means that the Republicans have basically jumped ship, which Democrats just don't do. Also known as Rino's.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    July 30, 2014 6:44 p.m.

Worf: I've seen the math textbooks. It's a bunch of gobbledygook! There are terms that kids will never use in a lifetime again, 12 written pages to explain one simple method, 4 ind. different ways to add, subtract, multiply, and divide with arrays and models and pictures to over explain everything. How can parents be expected to support their kids when it is like a foreign language?

Also, the tests are $35 per child to administer. Who is paying for these (YOU), and who is catching the big bucks in the pocketbook? (Guess?) Parents, have you seen your child's scores on the DWA or SAGE from last year? I'm not sure about the policy to reveal the scores to anyone but the government.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    July 30, 2014 6:53 p.m.

@Vladhagen,

I am hearing of vulgar language in literature books, fuzzy math, stressed out kids, and inaccurate accounts of history. Tests are big time money makers for big business.

Put these textbooks into public libraries, and let the people make the judgement.

Why do we need standardized approaches to education? Who decides what those approaches would be? The liberal government?

A past dictator once said, "let me control education for eight years", and I can get people to believe in anything.

• Bland Norman, OK
    July 30, 2014 7:00 p.m.

For the bajillionth time, Common Core is written by the Utah State Office of Education. President Obama had nothing to do with it.
    For the bajillionth and first time, Common Core is written by the Utah State Office of Education. President Obama had nothing to do with it.

CC is not a federal program. The standards in Oklahoma are totally separate from the standards in Utah. The standards in New York have nothing to do with Utah. President Obama and his administration probably have spent about 0.00001% of the presidency thinking about Utah Common Core. I am not a Obama fan by any means, but I am a large fan of STATE regulated education. Which is exactly what CC is. It is run by the STATE of Utah. It perhaps needs tweaks and improvements. But the concept is a good one. Anyone who can find this article and comment can peruse the CC standards given on the USOE website. Which so far only Crisco and Vladhagen (Both in FAVOR of CC) seem to have done.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    July 30, 2014 7:18 p.m.

Truth... let me answer with this quote from above

"Too bad our school districts don't put common core textbooks into our local libraries to be studied by the paying public."

This is the problem - there is no such thing as a "common core textbook". It doesn't exist. Period.

But to your point Truth... I have actually read the Common Core Standards... have you? For example, for six graders one of the standards is as follows

"CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.6-8.2.D
    Use precise language and domain-specific vocabulary to inform about or explain the topic."

Thats it... or how about...

'CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.6-8.4
    Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience."

That is it.... that all it states. Not how to do it. Not what book to use. No lesson plans. Nothing. It simply states that by the end of the 6th grade, a student should have these basic skills.

So Truth, google it.... read it..... show me where it does anything oppressive, where it is an over reach from Washington, where it tells a teacher how to do anything.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    July 30, 2014 7:20 p.m.

@BrentBot Salt Lake City, UT

You say

"Why does Common Core math require 11 steps to do a problem that you and I can do in two steps? That's what is wrong with Common Core - it lacks Common Sense."

Ok, where does it say that? Please... do tell us the section number of the standard that tells you to do this?

• Mom of Six Northern Utah, UT
    July 30, 2014 7:43 p.m.

@ Bland- Common Core was written 10 years ago by educators, not the state of Utah. Utah played a big part in it as we jumped on board with it at the very beginning. Other states adopted it to have a set of standards that all children should be able to master at certain grade levels.

Here is the problem with it. Students are expected to learn and master period. There is no revisit. For example the old core let students be introduced to money in 1st, taught a majority of items with money in 2nd, and reviewed it in 3,4 & 5th. In CC students are taught money in 2nd and expected to master it.Students are taught 10+ methods to add and subtract in 2nd grade and expected to master... period.In 3rd grade students are expected to know all multiplication and division facts by the end of the year. There is no time to revisit in 4th, 5th or 6th. They just have to know. Why is this a problem? Kids are not machines or lab rats. All children retain knowledge a little differently.

• Mom of Six Northern Utah, UT
    July 30, 2014 8:03 p.m.

Here are some more problems. Students are to read mainly non-fiction passages. They are to be able to take a higher level thinking approach, relate what they have learned from the text, compare the text to outside experience, and compare it to other texts. Why is this a problem? This is what a 3rd grader is supposed to do with very limited reading and writing ability. CC does not take in account what is appropriate developmentally. I had students taking the SAGE test last year, crying because it was so difficult. Many of my students gave up altogether skipping over questions because some of the math had no right answer at all.

The reason all of our great legislators support CC has to do with the federal money tied to it. They will not give that up no matter how angry everyone gets...and they really can't.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2014 8:16 p.m.

Amusing how several of the comments against Common Core also include horrid punctuation and grammar. If the shoe fits......

@Worf. Hate to say it, but I read plenty of bad language in school books before 6th grade. And I went to school in UT. And that was....a while back, shall we say? Also, I had a 9th grade teacher who thought a square could have exactly three right angles (If we don't get why this is wrong, perhaps CC is truly needed). Talk about fuzzy math. And she came up with that gem all on her own. Common Core was not even a factor.

As Bland says, for the bajillionth and second time, Obama does not control Common Core. It is a Utah thing. The UTAH Office of Education writes these standards. I do not want a "I am hearing...[insert hearsay]" type of comment. Crisco B very clearly lays out some of the autographical (meaning straight and original) documents used in upper grade history. If there is any "inaccurate" history being taught, it is not coming from USOE. Talk to your local (Texas? Wait, what? That ain't in Utah) teacher if inaccurate history is being taught.

• Mom of Six Northern Utah, UT
    July 30, 2014 8:25 p.m.

Personally, I feel that CC needs an extreme tweak. We need to better prepare students for the future, but using this methodology does not work for average students...at least at an elementary school level. Besides academics, we need to take in account what most students can do developmentally and emotionally. I want my students to be excited to learn. As a teacher, I do not get to pick my students. They come to me from all walks of life with many different talents and abilities. Some children are not prepared as they move from grade level to grade level. I often get students who are still on a Kindergarten level academically, but are not held back and are pushed forward. With classrooms of 30 students there is no way I can help these students begin to reach their peers, yet I am held accountable for their lack of ability.

• Bland Norman, OK
    July 30, 2014 8:30 p.m.

I love how one of the arguments against Common Core is that it is too hard. We sure do miss those days where all you had to do to get good grades was bring Miss Honey an apple.

Either we educate children at a more rigorous level or we need to admit that we, as Americans, are not tough enough or smart enough to perform in academics on an international level. Mom of 6 brings up concerns that are real I think, although ultimately unfounded. 3rd graders doing multiplication and division? I went to school in the "apple to the teach' " days; I also learned multiplication (and bit of division!) in 2nd grade. These CC kids are behind! By 6th grade, pre-algebra was expected. Now given, (Not to toot my own horn) I was the valedictorian of my high school, so I was not remedial, but we need to go faster and harder in schools. And it might hurt.

You better believe I cried in school because of tests. They were so easy that I thought I had been demoted to the 3rd grade at age 15. That'll make anyone bawl.

• Kings Court Alpine, UT
    July 30, 2014 8:36 p.m.

worf from Texas wondered why schools can't put Common Core textbooks in the library for parents to study. I have a better suggestion. Why not have parents study the textbooks when their children bring them home? I do have to laugh about the comment made by the young Klingon from Texas. You see, before Utah adopted the Common Core, our Math textbooks were based on the Texas and California math standards. Textbook companies catered to the needs of our two largest states and the rest of the states were forced to use them. After the Common Core was adopted, each state had unique core guidelines that made it impossible to use the California and Texas textbooks. I looked at my kids' textbook and it was refreshing to see a book that said "Utah Standards" at the top.

I really think these anti-common core people need to have their heads examined. They literally want Utah to give up local control and give it back to California and Texas in the name of "local control." It just makes you shake your head in disbelief.

• Bland Norman, OK
    July 30, 2014 8:55 p.m.

MomOf6 is correct in saying that CC comes from a group of educators (None of whom have the initials BO most likely). I misspoke in my previous comments. She has given some good comments here.

My point is that Utah has a direct hand in writing the standards.

I think that some of these concerns (like developmental and emotional concerns outside of academics) are legitimate. But these are problems of the "System" of social promotion failing students. Common Core actually battles social promotion to some regard. If a teacher promotes a student who did not reach standard, he or she is going against CC. We cannot say that CC is too hard and then in the same breath say that CC needs to be made more robust.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    July 30, 2014 9:06 p.m.

You know, we rant and rave about how out of touch elected officials (or their cronies) are, yet year after year, election after election, we keep putting them back in office.

Enough is enough. Quit voting for incumbents!

Oh, I forgot, Utahans don't go to the polls, that's why elected and cronies keep ignoring us.

• sally Kearns, UT
    July 30, 2014 9:17 p.m.

I would think that a teacher who is intelligent, well educated and able to teach the necessary concepts should not need common core. Obviously someone is making money off of common core. Think about it--new textbooks/workbooks, teachers aids, testing is big business, rewriting everything. Now, if the teachers did not have college teaching degrees, then I might understand why common core might be needed. Actually, I prefer my children have teachers who graduated in a subject, then completed certification. Those teachers have a stronger knowledge in subject matter. Actually, I know people who do not have college degrees who would be excellent teachers. I look at common core as a slap in the face not only to excellent teachers, but also the colleges that supposedly taught them. Why is the field of education always in an upheaval? It makes those in charge of education appear to be incapable of succeeding with educating our children. Will they ever get it right?

• Orem Parent Orem, UT
    July 30, 2014 9:54 p.m.

Once again I am amazed at the ignorance about the common core. There is no textbook, no curriculum, no lesson plans. It is simply a set of standards. Go read them. Really that is all it is. As the posters on here have demonstrated, when asked what specifically they don't like about the core, they have no answer.

Hmm let's figure out why our government leaders actually support it. Because it is basic common sense to support something that is just a set of standards.

But once again we have a tiny but VERY vocal minority making a lot of noise. They even admit that they encouraged their little group to go take the online poll.

Unbelievable how this has developed into a political argument about being a "patriot". Hilarious.

Stay strong legislators. The CC is a good thing. We're behind it.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    July 30, 2014 9:58 p.m.

who are these mysterious GOP insiders? Mike Levette? Jon Huntsman Jr? Orin Hatch? We need to root these shadow RINO's out and force them to state their support publically.

• Homer1 MIDVALE, UT
    July 30, 2014 11:39 p.m.

Contrary to the Common Core bullet points we keep hearing, all this was not conceived and developed through the National Governor’s Association. Nor, as many proponents cheerfully assert, was it a joint creation by governors, business leaders, educators and parents—you know, all the stakeholders. The reality is that Common Core had its early origins around 2004 in a project called ACHIEVE, led by a mix of corporations (pointedly without any professional educators) with help from ALEC and broad support from the Gates Foundation, the Waltons (Walmart heirs), and The Broad Foundations, among others that led to something called the American Diploma Project. Subsequent “work groups” added two testing companies including the textbook behemoth from the UK, Pearson Corp. Follow the money, people.

Despite what some want to believe in their press releases and bullet points, CCSS development was chiefly a corporate enterprise, bringing funding of public education into the hands of organizations external to the traditional democratically-controlled and publicly-accountable public school system.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    July 31, 2014 12:41 a.m.

@Bland,

Social promotion is based on teachers not wanting to be fired for a high failure rate. Students learn this quickly, and work less, because they will pass any way.

So common core are just standards? Hmm?

What are those standards? Who makes these standards? Teachers, administrators, and parents, can't created standards, just the feds/lawmakers?

An organization, who can't balance a checkbook, put our country in debt to the tune of $600,000 for every second of a year, and creates a huge poverty state, are now going to set the standards for education? This is insanely crazy!

How many times, do we stand behind a horse and get kicked, before standing somewhere else?

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    July 31, 2014 12:47 a.m.

I attended my party caucus. When common core came up one lady said she opposed it because because the standards were to difficult. Really. Conservatives are always complaining about public schools and lack of accountability. Isn't this the issue common core addresses. Brent Bot. Women can vote and own property thanks to progressives. In fact the civil rights movement was largely progressive in nature.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    July 31, 2014 8:14 a.m.

The amount of outright false information being spouted here by CCC opponents is incredible.

If it is due to ignorance, that is frightening.

If it is due to someone deliberately spreading false information, that is even more frightening.

But then, it does take ignorance to be able to believe false information. That's frightening, too.

Perhaps we can have some hope after Common Core has been in use for a few years and the critical thinking skills it contains have had a chance to settle in. People who have been taught to think and evaluate information won't be so ignorant that they will accept anything told them at face value.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    July 31, 2014 8:23 a.m.

If this comment is not parody, then we are really in trouble: "I don't know much about anything but am upset and will err on the side of caution and oppose the Feds because... Obama."

I hope it was intended as sarcasm.

But if it's not . . . . .

• coachtinholladay SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 31, 2014 8:53 a.m.

I opted out my two Jr High teens out of Sage Testing this Spring and was treated like a lunatic. One son's teacher pulled him aside and said that he would fail his class if he didnt take the test and said your parents must be devout Glenn Beck fans. It wasn't funny. I called the Principal of the school and left a very angry VM. The next day this teacher called and tried to apologize for his comments. He admitted to lying to the students to get them to try their best so the school could get more federal monies and not get terminated. My response was WHY do you need to lie to the students and scare them into participating in something (data mining) and has nothing to do education.

The description of the required math classes in quite confusing. Under CC there is no method to allow students to take honors or AP math courses. My guess that the supporters of CC don't have intelligent children being subjected to this garbage.

Im branded as a right wing Glenn Beck anti education Loon who loves his children.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    July 31, 2014 10:33 a.m.

Some questions:

* How did cooperative learning work out?
    * Did the Head Start Program reduce poverty?
    * How has standardized testing, and accountability improved American education?
    * Why does our country import eighty two thousand highly skilled workers per year, if our education system is effective?
    * Why do we allow an organization, who has put our country into a debt equaling $600,000 for every second in a year, to be setting standards for education?

• Homer1 MIDVALE, UT
    July 31, 2014 11:47 a.m.

Common Core is the prime current example of the kind of federal overreach that co-opts or directly undermines the structures of our federalist system. Instead of a balance of power and a division of jurisdiction and responsibilities between the states and the federal government we find the Dept. of Education imposing top-down a nationalized curriculum and national accountability by the states to the federal government. Despite the clear legal prohibitions against a national curriculum that is what Arne Duncan and the Obama administration has been able to accomplish. With the leverage of the Race for the Top money they were able to force states to agree to implement the Common Core, adopt nationally-normed exams (with FERPA exemptions for certain testing corporations to use student data), and then tie teacher evaluations to those tests. Indiana recently withdrew their commitment to Common Core and received threats from Education Secretary Arne Duncan--doesn't sound like states can control their own standards. BTW, many people don't realize that states can't change the standards because they don't own the copyright.

• Homer1 MIDVALE, UT
    July 31, 2014 1:14 p.m.

These are not "just" standards. These nationalized privately-created and owned standards are but one part of a larger movement by national interests to take control of what was once local and "public".

Common Core is not a progressive idea, nor is it a cwazy right wing idea--it is in line with the neo-liberal partnership between central government and corporate interests. My opposition as a public school teacher has nothing to do with a vast right wing conspiracy and everything to do with preserving the ideals of our public's most valuable institution against a well-organized, well-coordinated attack by political groups, privatizers, and corporate interests who wish to ultimately benefit from the privatization of public education and profit from it in the meanwhile.

Where is the "public" in public schools now? Teachers, Parents, Community Stakeholders, School Boards, Districts, States, etc. - have all been left out of the crafting, implementation, and evaluation of the Common Core. Anyone who believes in a strong public education system should feel very disenfranchised. Effectively, there is NO MORE "Public" education. What's at stake isn't standards, per se--it is the viability of a public education in our nation.

• EdwardB Carefree, AZ
    July 31, 2014 1:52 p.m.

WE do not need standardized teaching that demonizes conservatives and conservative opinion, while praising the most liberal of philosophies. Common core will drive many families into home schooling which will be vigorously opposed by the common core koolaid drinkers.

• Star Bright Salt Lake City, Ut
    July 31, 2014 5:07 p.m.

Does anyone understand that when there are no notebooks to bring home, no books to review, that the parents are entirely cut out of the process?
    When we pay $35.00 for each test by each child, in every classroom, in every school, in every school in the state and every school in the country, just imagine what the cost of these tests are? They are required to take 8 tests a year times $35.00 and if they fail they take the test over and it costs the same.
    Of course teachers have to teach to the test. If they are being judged by the number of students who pass, what do you expect them to do?
    I don't know about the rest of you, but tests were not my favorite thing to do. I didn't freeze, but I knew a lot of children who did.
    My granddaughter was taken out of 3rd grade because school had become a drudge. The math homework I helped her with were a joke. It would take 5 seconds to get the answer and we had to go through a page of work.
    Sorry, this is NOT A LOCAL PROGRAM! Money corrupts!

• K.Call Moab, UT
    Aug. 1, 2014 11:36 a.m.

My personal experience with Common Core:

1. I didn't hear anything about Common Core until it was on it's way to implementation. I have spent three years researching the curriculum, standards, and implementation.....I cannot find anything suggesting Common Core will be good for my children.

2. I asked my district superintendent and two school board members about Common Core. Pointing to a book on his shelf, supt. said,'Common Core is now the law in Utah. There is nothing we can do about it'. Why, then, are we paying supt. salaries and electing school board members?

3. I cannot see my son's 8th grade Common Core pre-test because it is sealed. I was told I would need to petition the USOE for permission to do so.

4. USOE's office of assessments cannot (phone call conversation) tell me where the data being collected on my children is going.

5. As per a conversation with a representative from USOE, teachers will not feasibly be able to implement any flexibility regarding the standard driven Common Core curriculum.

Let's address the above.

• David Lloyd-Jones Toronto, 00
    Aug. 3, 2014 5:37 a.m.

Nice to see one State with some common sense going around, at the state level at any rate.

-dlj.