Opinion

Can a news channel 'solve problems'?

Comments

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    July 30, 2014 6:15 a.m.

Sarah Palin is great at throwing out shallow one liners which energize the far right. I will give her that. However does anyone consider her a person with substantive ideas?

The fact that she is relevant in GOP politics is, or should be, an embarrassment to Republicans.

• Hamath Omaha, NE
    July 30, 2014 6:27 a.m.

I don't care who the politician is... I would never watch a channel called the "name of the person" channel.

Maybe the Sarah Palin show... but the Sarah Palin channel? Give me a break!

• ordinaryfolks seattle, WA
    July 30, 2014 6:48 a.m.

Oh goody, yet another "news" source for the unwitting to hear more partial truth and the editorialization of a partisan hack. I wonder when she will come out with her "Little Red Book" that crowds can wave in the air exhibiting their total adulation? And maybe an outfit for all to wear. Hmmm, the marketing potential for Palinistas is huge!

• Hamath Omaha, NE
    July 30, 2014 7:29 a.m.

@ Joe Blow,

Exactly.

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    July 30, 2014 7:38 a.m.

The Alaskan Narcissist returns!

Her lack of intelligence is well documented. Unfortunately, her lack of morals isn't as well known. While she says all the right stuff I don't think she should be trusted. She reminds me of those televangelists who will do and say anything for money. She would appear on tv to have claimed to heal people and raise the dead while showing people nonstop her "donation" hoine.

Palin is a wonderful business person along the lines of Tim and Jan Crouch, Ted Robertson, and James Dobson.

She knows what desperate, lonely, and poor people want. And she sells it well.

• Really??? Kearns, UT
    July 30, 2014 7:39 a.m.

I wonder how long it will take for this website news failure will take to finally convince Ms. Palin of how irrelevant she is becoming in the national political scene.

• RedWings CLEARFIELD, UT
    July 30, 2014 7:41 a.m.

Love the comments about Glen Beck and the Blaze: "a role model for wealthy media figures who hope to monetize the cult of personality they've built up by expertly playing to the cultural affinities and anxieties of Red America."

I am amazed at how many normally reasonable fellow LDS members actually believe tha Beck has some special hotline to Church Headquarters and is speaking for God and the Prophet. He is a rich media personality getting richer on your neurosis about things that really don't matter that much.

God is in charge. Trust in Him. He will not leave us nor forsake us. And He does not need Glen Beck to tell us what to do. He already has a Prophet and Scriptuer for that...

• airnaut Everett, 00
    July 30, 2014 8:23 a.m.

Now it's being called "Activist Journalism"?
    Isn't that just a dreased up, modern name for "YELLOW Journalism"?

IMO -- Just another way of putting lipstick on a pig.

At least Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and Glenn Beck all call theirs "Shows",
    Sarah Palin is crossing a new boundry by trying to get away with calling hers a "News" channel.

Legitimate NEWS outlets should be worried, VERY worried!
    One bad apples, will spoil the whole bunch.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    July 30, 2014 8:24 a.m.

Sarah Palin will share her views on events of the day to you for a low low price of only $9.95 a month... really? It's a merger of pseudo news, opinion, and Palin family reality show. And this is the future of news coverage for the future. This is more credible then mainstream news, no matter how biased it may be?

It just goes to prove there is a buyer for everything.

• Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2014 8:33 a.m.

No. A News channel can't solve problems nor will they.

It doesn't matter if its msnbc or fox. Its not in their best interest. Why? Because, exacerbating the issue leads to more ratings hence more $$$.

• Kings Court Alpine, UT
    July 30, 2014 8:44 a.m.

Fox News and MSNBC solved our nations problems, so why not have another fringe so-called news channel that spends more time spinning the facts rather than simply reporting them.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    July 30, 2014 8:44 a.m.

I don't think it's going to 'solve problems', but it's sure going to be funny.

• Stalwart Sentinel San Jose, CA
    July 30, 2014 9:01 a.m.

The only problem a Sarah Palin news channel will solve is to give easy fodder to the writers of Jon Stewart, Colbert, John Oliver, etc. Their lives just got incrementally better.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    July 30, 2014 9:03 a.m.

This is hysterically funny.

Then again, maybe it's not.

There may actually be people out there ready to actually believe what this woman might say.

That's downright frightening!

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 30, 2014 9:04 a.m.

@Hamath,

Re: "I would never watch a channel called the "name of the person" channel"...

Ever heard of the "Oprah Winfrey Network" (OWN)?

=============

@Maverick,

Re: "Her lack of intelligence is well documented"...

Oh really... Where is her "lack or intelligence" Documented?

==============

@RedWings,

Re: "Love the comments about Glen Beck and the Blaze"...

I looked, and saw ZERO comments about Glen Beck and the Blaze.

How did this become an anti-LDS, anti-Beck rant? The topic is Sarah Palin!

================

@Really???

Re: "I wonder how long it will take for this website news failure will take to finally convince Ms. Palin of how irrelevant she is"...

#1. It hasn't failed yet.

#2. If it fails... has a liberal network never failed? Does the failure of every liberal talk show I know of indicate THEY are "irrelevant"?

Is it up to the people who DON'T LISTEN to Rachel Maddow, etc, to decide MSNBC is irrelevant? Probably not.

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    July 30, 2014 9:21 a.m.

It's really sad that the people who will pay for her "news" are the people who can afford it the least.

I've been to several countries. It was easy to spot false preachers. Especially when I served a mission. I saw many preachers on tv and heard them on the radio demanding money from the poorest and most desperate.

Palin is no different. She preys on the poorest and most desperate. She promises miracles as she laughs all the way to the bank. While her donors remain desperate and poor and hoping for relief to their miserable lives.

It's sad, because all the right wing preys on these people. Ted Robertson, Glenn Beck, James Dobson, etc.

For folks like Palin, selling their radical religo-politico views has become a lucrative business.

Had supply side never happened and had we focused on keeping US manufacturing jobs here, none of these radical leaders would have any desperate followers. Americans are becoming increasingly desperate with our economic decline, much like how Germans became desperate in the 1920s and early 30s.

Where is this taking us?

• Hamath Omaha, NE
    July 30, 2014 9:29 a.m.

@ 2bits

Yes I have heard of the OWN, but I haven't watched it nor will I. Millions do though from what I understand. That is their choice. Millions may watch Sarah Pallin's network. I just think they are wasting their time. Of course, truth be told, most TV is a waste of time.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    July 30, 2014 9:42 a.m.

Please don't refer to the Palin project as a news channel. It's not, and she is the last person to provide substance.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 30, 2014 10:07 a.m.

@Maverick,

Re "It's really sad that the people who will pay for her "news" are the people who can afford it the least"...

I love the way you paint the Right as the "Rich Folks" (when you're playing your Class-Warfare games). And paint them as poor penniless red-necks (when pretending the Left are the educated, smart, wealthy folks, and the Right are mostly poor middle-America farmers who listen to nothing but talk radio.

You need to make up your mind on your stereotypes you use for us....

Are we the Evil rich businessmen you attack almost daily?
    Or the poor toothless farmers that speak with an accent and only listen to Rush Limbaugh?
    Which is it?

You need to figure out WHICH stereotype you're going to use, instead of flip-flopping between the Right being the "Evil Wealthy people", AND the the Right being the "uneducated poor people" who can't afford cable TV...

Which stereotype is right?

• Tyler D Meridian, ID
    July 30, 2014 10:21 a.m.

Has there ever been a politician who possessed greater quantities of both ignorance & arrogance as this woman? I predict in the future her name will be found in the dictionary used to describe this (what should be) oxymoronic combination.

@2 bits – “Where is her "lack or intelligence" Documented?”

That’s a bit like asking “where is air… I don’t see it.”

Pretty much any appearance she has ever made is documentation of her imbecility, but if you’re looking for a printed source I would start with the book “You Betcha” or just do a Google search of Sarah Palin gaffes… they are legion.

• Fred Vader Oklahoma City, OK
    July 30, 2014 10:33 a.m.

Tyler D "Has there ever been a politician who possessed greater quantities of both ignorance & arrogance as this woman?"

Yes. Try......Nancy Pelosi....both ignorant and arrogant and could give Sarah Palin a run for her money in both categories.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    July 30, 2014 10:34 a.m.

I can guess we can blame Megan McCain's father John for letting this joker out of the box...

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    July 30, 2014 11:07 a.m.

"#3. Is it really up to the Liberal-Left (who would never listen to her show) to tell her she's "irrelevant"? Because to the people on the Right... she's still relevant. Which group should she respond to??"

Boy does this say a ton - much of which I doubt was intended. If Sarah Palin is truly the voice of the right..... I try to stay non-partisan, but that is just a frightening thought that she is among the best and brightest the right have to offer.

• Evets Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 30, 2014 11:12 a.m.

Not sure why all you guys are so negative. If she is good she may succeed BUT if she is bad she will fail. Well, maybe not, look at most of our news commentators out there now. Pretty much all garbage.
    As for myself I just don't have the time to listen to any of these people. Still I support her right to at least try. I don't expect her "news channel" to last very long but then who am I to judge.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2014 11:14 a.m.

Seems like a rather broad definition of "news".

• FT salt lake city, UT
    July 30, 2014 11:25 a.m.

Anyone else think the highest # of subscribers will come from Utah County?

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 30, 2014 11:46 a.m.

@Tyler,
    Again I ask... where is her intelligence quotient documented? Can you show it to us?

You say it's "Documented"... so... show us where!

==========

If her having said something you find "unintelligent" is the criteria for being declared "unintelligent".... then Barack Obama AND Joe Biden are both "Unintelligent", because they have BOTH said stupid things, and I can show you where you can find the video if that's "Documenting" their lack of intelligence (in YOUR book).

===========

I can see how you would think (with your anti-right-wing glasses on) that everything she says proves she's not "intelligent". But realize that some people think the same thing about Joe Biden and even some things Barack Obama have said (and have been recorded for posterity).

==============

If saying "she's unintelligent" is just a subjective judgement of yours... then I accept it (for what it's worth). But if you and Joe are saying that she's actually been tested and proven to be unintelligent, and it's documented somewhere... I want to see that!

Otherwise... it's just your subjective judgement of her...

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    July 30, 2014 12:31 p.m.

OK 2 Bits

What is your assessment of Palin as a political figure?

What do you see as her strengths?

Do you see her as a statesman with strong leadership qualities?
    Do you believe she has a good understanding of history, world politics or a general depth of knowledge?
    Would you want her to run your company, or believe that she would make a good CEO of a large corporation?

Basically, would you vote for her for president of the US?

• Tyler D Meridian, ID
    July 30, 2014 12:45 p.m.

@2 bits – “You say it's "Documented"... so... show us where!”

Good grief, what else do I need to provide in a 200 word comment? Now I have to do your homework as well?

Joe Biden – yeah, he’s said some pretty dumb (mostly dumb in a funny way) things over the years… as no doubt have we all.

Yes, I would be curious what Palin’s IQ is as well. From what I gather estimates of her IQ have been extrapolated from her college entrance exams and place at about average (~100). Nothing wrong with that except when you think you have the cognitive ability to run the most powerful country in the world (why I mentioned her arrogance far exceeds her intelligence).

PS – very few public figures release IQ scores but Obamas (again by similar extrapolations) is estimated to be the 130 range, which is similar to the estimates on Romney but not as high as Newt Gingrich which is estimated to be ~140. Paul Ryan and Ted Cruz IQ’s are also estimated to be quite high (just to show this has nothing to do with political partisanship).

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    July 30, 2014 1:37 p.m.

2 Bits... I will help. Here is one from FoxNews,

"[Paul Revere] did warn the British. And in a shout-out, gotcha-type of question that was asked of me, I answered candidly. And I know my American history." --Sarah Palin, defending her botched Paul Revere history lesson by taking issue with the reporter, who simply asked her "What have you seen so far today, and what are you going to take away from your visit?" (Fox News Sunday interview, June 5, 2011)"

"As we work and sightsee on America's largest island, we'll get to view more majestic bears, so now is a good time to draw attention to the political equivalent of the species." --Sarah Palin, referring to Kodiak Island in Alaska, even though Hawaii is America's biggest island, July 19, 2010

""This is Reagan country (applause). Yeah! And perhaps it was destiny that the man who went to California's Eureka College would become so woven within and inter-linked to the Golden State." --Sarah Palin, blundering on Reagan's education while speaking at a fundraiser at California State University-Stanislaus. Eureka College is in Illinois. (June 25, 2010)

Hundreds more... need I post them?

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    July 30, 2014 1:40 p.m.

"Those within the changing media lanscape are increasingly turning to the Web to build viewership and engagement, even, as we see now with Palin, embracing the Internet to try to appeal to those who feel that the news they are hearing from the major networks no longer speaks to them."

In other words, Palin fans don't want news . . . They want nonsense that supports their prejudices.

I get it.

• my_two_cents_worth university place, WA
    July 30, 2014 2:09 p.m.

So, if I pay a full year up front for her "news" service, will I get a partial refund when she "resigns" halfway through the year?

• airnaut Everett, 00
    July 30, 2014 2:19 p.m.

The fact is --

Sarah Palin is not 'competing' with the "lame stream media".

She's simply $cashing in on the same cash cow media formula that made Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and Glenn Beck millionaires...

Probably sign on the same "sponsors" of selling fear --
    Gold-Line,
    Carbonite data back,
    Food storage,
    Home Security systems,
    bomb shelters,
    Home security shotguns, Assault weapons, etc.

30 minutes of whipping up fear and scare tactics,
    followed by 3 minutes of commercials of how YOU need to protect your family, your property, and your assets...

They're coming to get YOU, buy this...

• airnaut Everett, 00
    July 30, 2014 2:25 p.m.

Will the NSA be watching this under Bush's "Patriot Act",
    as a internet site that "radicalizes" it's followers?

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    July 30, 2014 3:45 p.m.

@VST - when Palin was asked what qualified her for a role in international diplomacy considering at the time she had hardly left the state of Alaska to that point, her response was, and I am not making this up, that "she could see Russia from Alaska." (Interview with ABC's Charlie Gibson)

If being able to see Little Diomede island (Russia) from Big Diomede (Alaska) makes you an expert for Anglo-Russian relations, then my IQ must be off the freaking chart.

Listen, I never said she was below average, I challenge you to find where I said that. 2 Bits asked for documented proof of her lack of knowledge. There are far too many to publish here. None of this proves she is below average.... it just proves that she is average. In fact she brands herself as being a representative of averageness.

But gaffe filled news delivered by yet another ubber-average person is not what this nation needs. It would be nice to get our information from sources that actually knew something... and had an IQ high enough to know when they didn't know something.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    July 30, 2014 4:00 p.m.

Don’t expect Palin’s channel to be about more than news as she is promising. Look for it to be about anything but actual news.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    July 30, 2014 5:19 p.m.

Let's see, which Democrat tried to address the nation in a "news show"? Oh, that's right, Alec Baldwin. Which channel is he on? I can't seem to find him.

• Swiss Price, Utah
    July 30, 2014 8:41 p.m.

After Al Gore made a fortune selling out to Al Jazeera maybe Palin can also turn this into a pile of money. Even a falling channel like his found a buyer.

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    July 30, 2014 11:20 p.m.

Anyone who hasn't seen Stephen Colbert's July 29th show with him talking about the Sarah Palin channel needs to. It's hilarious and informative.

• Joan Watson TWIN FALLS, ID
    July 31, 2014 9:40 a.m.

Actually - Sarah P is on par with Nancy P and Harry R. One thing to be said for all three - if nothing else, they provide low brow entertainment.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    July 31, 2014 10:25 a.m.

the repeated myth by Utah Blue Devil
    "she could see Russia from Alaska." (Interview with ABC's Charlie Gibson) "It would be nice to get our information from sources that actually knew something... and had an IQ high enough to know when they didn't know something."

That is right, you may want to change where you get your information, Snopes reports we find Charles Gibson asked her what insight she had gained from living so close to Russia, and she responded: "They're our next-door neighbors, and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska"

On Saturday Night Live FEY AS PALIN: "And I can see Russia from my house."

Snopes goes on to explain that Palin's comment is correct, from various points in Alaska you can see Russia. Snopes also quotes a 1988 New York Times article "from the Air Force facility at Tin City atop Cape Prince of Wales, the western most edge of mainland North America, on a clear day you can see Siberia with the naked eye."

So we can see Palins comment was not a gaffe and ascribing Fey's comment to Palin is a gaffe.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    July 31, 2014 10:55 a.m.

Presidential gaffe, "I've now been in 57 states -- I think one left to go." "R-S-P-E-C-T." , what's striking -- whether it's in Europe or here in Asia..." -mistakenly referring to Hawaii as Asia, "We're the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad.", "The reforms we seek would bring greater competition, choice, savings and inefficiencies to our health care system." --in remarks after a health care roundtable , "What I was suggesting -- you're absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith...", "On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes -- and I see many of them in the audience here today, "In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died -- an entire town destroyed." --on a Kansas tornado that killed 12 people

Not exactly a champion of knowledge, Of course he gets his briefings from the morning news.
    Maybe it is just dumb speech writers and he doesn't think about anything he is reading off a teleprompter, Maybe the teleprompter people are telling us how low his IQ is.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    July 31, 2014 11:29 a.m.

I consider myself marginally informed in some areas and in some things, not well informed at all. Which means I am considerably more well informed than Sarah Palin in any subject.

• Monsieur le prof Sandy, UT
    July 31, 2014 11:29 a.m.

Nancy Pelosi and Hillary Clinton have made their share of gaffes and stupid statements and both have outright lied to the American People. Sarah Palin has made her mistakes, as well, but is at least as intelligent as they. If her program succeeds, more power to her. If not, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

On the other hand, I would never pay for this channel because I have plenty of other sources that are free.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    July 31, 2014 11:48 a.m.

Hannity one hundred percent negative spin and constant attempt to pick fights.

• Sven Morgan, UT
    July 31, 2014 9:13 p.m.

one vote said:

"Hannity one hundred percent negative spin and constant attempt to pick fights."

======

So why do you listen to him then?

• Sven Morgan, UT
    July 31, 2014 11:31 p.m.

Sarah Palin; living rent free in Liberals heads! 

Sorry, but you folks on the Left are going to have to make up your minds about Palin. On one hand you call her ignorant and irrelevant, yet seem to spend lots and lots of time discussing her. Here's a fact: the Left fears Palin. If Palin were truly irrelevant, you'd ignore her, but instead you try to discredit and mock her.

It’s comical watching the Left try in vain to trash Palin’s intelligence, and yet ignore Dear Leader’s embarrassing statements. Consider the following:

Barry's Blunders:

* Visited all “57 States”

* Navy “Corps Man”

* Botched up a simple toast to the Queen of England; she had to tell him to sit down. Let’s not even talk about the iPod he gave her as a gift.

* Called victory a “four letter word”

* Thinks Austrian is a language

* Calls Comiskey Park, "Cominsky Field", but claims to be a huge White Sox fan…yeah right.

* Thinks Europe is a country

I could go on, but you get the point.

Sarah rocks!

• Ajax Mapleton, UT
    Aug. 1, 2014 8:57 a.m.

Utahns have long been noted as easy prey for political and financial hucksters. Considering what is for us the siren call of far right politics and shady financial dealings, I would think that locally Sarah Palin News should do just fine.

• Tyler D Meridian, ID
    Aug. 1, 2014 9:43 a.m.

@Sven – “the Left fears Palin”

Well you’re right but not for the reasons you think you are.

Pretty much any rational, thinking person I know (which includes many Republicans who bolted from the ticket when she was nominated) fears her because almost half the people in this country chose to put her a choked chicken bone away from the most important job in the world.

When you look at her staggering ignorance combined with her Assembly of God apocalyptic world view, yes, frankly I was terrified (in a “she could actually bring about the apocalypse” sort of way).

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Aug. 1, 2014 12:04 p.m.

Tyler D tells us "Given what our president needs to understand - issues like nuclear proliferation, ongoing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (and covert wars elsewhere), global climate change, a convulsing economy, Russian belligerence, the rise of China, emerging epidemics, Islamism on a hundred fronts, a defunct United Nations, the deterioration of American schools, failures of energy, infrastructure and Internet security … the list is long - Sarah Palin does not seem competent even to rank these items in order of importance, much less address any one of them."

Then why Tyler did you vote for Obama? List his great accomplishments that would support he new anything about what you listed. Why do you think Palin would not have the same resources, I mean Obama gets his daily briefings about issues in the daily newspaper, he has told us so.

• Tyler D Meridian, ID
    Aug. 1, 2014 1:14 p.m.

@jsf – “Then why Tyler did you vote for Obama?”

Good question – but first let me ask, why do you assume I voted for Obama? Is it your view that anyone who criticizes one person/party must by definition belong to and support the other? That’s a pretty black & white view of the world that is often wrong.

To your question, I agree Obama was not particularly experienced by modern standards (he was not a former governor, cabinet member, military general, etc… and had only been a Senator for a short time).

That said, Obama was president of the Harvard Law Review (when Palin was being crowned a beauty queen) and later taught constitutional law at one of the top law schools in the country.

Besides this we have the campaigns – Obama’s answers to related questions typically showed intelligence, thoughtfulness and an ability to grasp the significance of relevant facts.

By contrast Palin usually came across as (sometimes proudly) ignorant, ill informed, and often with an extremely shallow understanding of anything in my previous comment (what we would expect from a know-nothing being furiously prepped by McCain’s team).

• netsrik Draper, UT
    Aug. 1, 2014 4:49 p.m.

The Sarah Palin Comedy Channel? No...just...no.

• Stormwalker Cleveland , OH
    Aug. 3, 2014 10:13 a.m.

And the stakes on this go higher.

On the one hand Stephen Colbert just announced that he owns "THESarahPalinChannel" website because Palin's people were not savvy enough to secure all versions of the name of the channel.

Meanwhile Palin's first real interview with a real American having real opinions included a racist and threat loaded rant against Pres. Obama. While the interview itself was only up for about five hours after its original live hearing, reports of it can still be found all over the net.

This may be a nonstarter.