High school football: Louis Wong, Tony McGeary headline crop of 20 new coaches in 2014

Comments

• mufasta American Fork, UT
    July 29, 2014 10:05 a.m.

It should be an interesting year in HS football. It is perplexing to me that Wong and McGeary had very similar problems and yet one coach swapped from Provo school district to Alpine and one swapped from Alpine to Provo. Are they "blacklisted" in their previous districts but those issues not considered in their new districts? Im just curious how that works.

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    July 29, 2014 10:06 a.m.

Is Mountain View an open enrollment school? If so, watch for things to change drastically and fast! Wong is a premier coach and the players know it... Outstanding to see him coaching again, he got unfairly hung out to dry at Timpview.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    July 29, 2014 6:57 p.m.

I like Louis Wong! He was my Sunday School teacher and was in the movie Rigoletto. He was a coach at Lone Peak its first year and I remember seeing him very upset during halftime of a game where the team was getting creamed. I know little about his coaching, but I like him as a person.

• mr. loco spanish fork, UT
    July 31, 2014 8:49 a.m.

Wow that's the first time I've heard a coach refer back to his coaching record. Coach Mcgeary must be a very humble guy...

• Me, Myself and I The Promised Land, UT
    Aug. 2, 2014 9:55 a.m.

@ Ifel Of'a-sofa

I believe all schools in Utah are open enrollment. One of the factors that leads to so many problems when it comes to transfers and eligibility.

• satch Highland, UT
    Aug. 4, 2014 8:29 p.m.

There is no doubt Wong and McGeary are going to be very successful. Both are outstanding humans and great mentors of young men. Anyone who know's them personally knows this. I wish them both the very best.

I'm interested to see how their presence changes the dynamics at Timpview HS.