An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls

Comments

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    July 29, 2014 2:30 p.m.

If not for the P5 bias, Taysom would win the Heisman.

By a lot.

• DuckInSLC Sandy, UT
    July 29, 2014 4:28 p.m.

It is definitely Winston's award to lose. He plays in probably the weakest of the P5 conferences and is a major talent. Obviously I'm hoping Mariota wins it but I don't know if he can overcome the east coast bias. Being the best QB in the PAC12 is hard enough but being the best overall is daunting when half your games are played at 10:30 eastern time.

• bri_guy Logan, UT
    July 29, 2014 8:53 p.m.

Mildred in Filmore your comment was hilarious!

Without the "P5 bias" Taysom wouldn't come close to winning the Heisman, EVER! The kid can run, but last year he threw 19 TDs, 14 INTs and completed under 54%. According to ESPN that's good enough for the worst quarterback in the state last year, including Darell Garretson the red-shirt freshman who came in when Chuckie Keeton went down. Chuckie Keeton is the favorite from the state, and from the non "P5".

• phantomblade Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 29, 2014 10:57 p.m.

bri_guy

That was last year; this is a new year, and you'll see a much improved Taysom Hill.

Still skeptical that a running QB can make drastic improvements in his passing efficiency?

Check out Steve Young's stats from his Sophomore season to his Senior season.

Watch and learn.

• bri_guy Logan, UT
    July 30, 2014 12:17 a.m.

phantomblade

I'm not skeptical at all about a running QB, that was Chuckie's game when he was a freshman. Since then he's developed into an incredible dual threat QB. Part of that was him and part of that was being surrounded by great coaches.

My point was Hill is not Heisman caliber. As for a much improved Hill, talk to me after the season. He had one receiver last season that was drafted and I'm assuming others that could catch, yet still couldn't get them the ball. Yes I realize that is last season, but those are facts. I'd rather base my judgement on facts, rather than some commentator's prediction that he'll be "much improved". If he only throws 13 INTs this season, makes it to the conference championship game - oh wait....or wins a bowl game, I'll say he improved.

As far as comparing Hill to Steve Young, I'll say this Steve Young had Norm Chow and LaVell Edwards, Hill has Anae and Mendenhall. I suppose it's possible Hill can improve under their tutelage, but I'll wait until after the season to decide.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    July 30, 2014 8:16 a.m.

bri_guy
    Logan, UT

I hope Chuckie has the season he is capable of, without injury. I also hope Texas, both UCF and Houston, and Boise all have great seasons.

That would mean the possibility of Taysom leading the Cougars to victory over 3 different conference champions.

• bri_guy Logan, UT
    July 30, 2014 11:10 a.m.

Y Grad / Y Dad

There's also a possibility the Kate Upton's car will break down right in front of my apartment. I hope Hill has the season he is capable of, but that's not going to lead to the Heisman. See you on October 3rd in that great and spacious building.

• WhoRtheUtes??? Elko, NV
    July 30, 2014 11:19 a.m.

I think this will be a great season for Hill. The improvement in his throwing game and the with a win against Texas will move him right in the heat of the Heisman talk. Best chance for a QB from the great State of Utah to get it.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    July 30, 2014 11:29 a.m.

bri_guy
    Logan, UT

So you're saying the chance of Utah State winning the conference is pretty low???

• bri_guy Logan, UT
    July 30, 2014 11:53 a.m.

Y Grad / Y Dad

That's what you took from that??? Ok well first I never said anything close to that. A quick re-read of the conversation and you'll find the topic was the possibility of Hill beating 3 conference champions, not whether or not the Aggies become conference champions. I know it's difficult for cougars, by try to remain on topic.

Utah State's chances were low last season and they still made the championship game, and btw were the only team from the state of Utah to win a bowl game. This year they are not projected to win the conference, but up in Logan we love beating expectations.

Even if Utah State's chances at winning the conference championship was 0.1% it would still be higher than byu's chances.

• ute alumni SLC, UT
    July 30, 2014 12:10 p.m.

please briguy
    i like he aggies and keaton, but please let's not get into slamming hill. he will crush your heifers.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    July 30, 2014 12:26 p.m.

bri_guy
    Logan, UT

Lighten up, havin fun with you.

I recognize that BYU is playing five teams that have a shot at winning their respective conference championship.

The odds of any one of them winning their conference championship are long.

The odds of three of them all winning their respective conference championships are longer.

If all three win their conference championships, the odds of BYU beating all three are longer still.

But they are still better odds than Kate Upton's car breaking down in front of your apartment. Hope you are okay with that.

• bri_guy Logan, UT
    July 30, 2014 3:28 p.m.

Y Grad / Y Dad

I most certainly am not ok with that!!!..........I really want her car to break down in front of my apartment, hahaha.

Don't worry I'm not mad or even agitated, for me this is a fun conversation/debate. No one knows what's going to happen until the season starts, and it can't come soon enough for me.

I will admit Hill has a lot of potential, but Chuckie is more experienced and a more complete QB. It will be fun to see them battle.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    July 30, 2014 11:00 p.m.

bri_guy
    Logan, UT

I would agree with you. About Chuckie, not the car.

But Chuckie is also starting in the same place Taysom started last year - coming back from a devastating injury. While in fairness, I believe Chuckie has the stuff to persevere and get back to where he was, he's got a lot of ground to gain back.

Taysom has already gained that ground back. Chuckie has to prove how much he can regain, and he was a tremendously talented quarterback. Taysom has to prove how much upside he can realize, and he has tremendous potential.

I am looking forward to the building of a wonderful rivalry with a truly worthy opponent and good friend.