Utah football fall practice position preview: the receivers

Comments

• East Coast Ute Storrs, CT
    July 28, 2014 10:22 a.m.

I expected a bit better research than this. No mention of Kenneth Scott, the projected No. 2 wideout who broke out in limited time behind Devonte Christopher his sophomore season before being injured in the first game last year. No mention of Harrison Handley at TE, who redshirted last season, but as a better receiver, will probably see more time in this offense than Fakailoatonga. Kenric Young's size isn't the exciting attribute he's bringing to the team, it's his blazing speed. The guy was one of the fastest 100m and 200m runners in the country last year.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 28, 2014 10:51 a.m.

Loaded!

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 28, 2014 10:54 a.m.

@East Coast Ute

"I expected a bit better research than this," Are you kidding me? This is a Deseret News article about the University of Utah. I was shocked it was positive.

• Coach Biff Lehi, UT
    July 28, 2014 11:11 a.m.

This should be a strong position for Utah this year. With this type of speed, Utah will surprise some folks this year. PS-before you waste your time, I'm a Coug and a high school coach. Utah has great speed in the receiving corps this year. They will stretch the field easily. The real question is if they can run the ball with some balance.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 28, 2014 11:13 a.m.

Scott doesn't have the wheels Anderson has, but he's got the better hands. Additionally, at 6-3/208, he'll be a good situation receiver who will go up and contest all balls. Clay will be an exciting WR, but so too should Andre Lewis....who I didn't hear mentioned in this article. Lewis possesses all the size and hands of Scott.

East Coast Ute already stated as much, but perhaps the cougar-coddling DNews writers can give us a little more depth coverage on what we Ute fans can expect from Handley? And Lewis?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 28, 2014 11:37 a.m.

Nice to know we have a group of talented guys that can all step up.

If Wilson stays healthy we'll go 7-5. Coach Christensen has a proven track record of putting up big time numbers - and our defense was never the problem.

Onward and Upward to Pac 12 glory.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    July 28, 2014 11:38 a.m.

Hopefully Dres has gotten over his fear of hearing footsteps. I am a huge fan but there were at least 5 interceptions off of his hands when he wasn't watching the ball into his hands. These interceptions ended up in close losses.

Looking forward to the new offense.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 28, 2014 11:52 a.m.

Not a lot to be optimistic about. I think the passing game will be average. Utes will win 4-5 games and there will be a coaching change. Too bad because I like Whittingham. It is just too difficult to get wins against pac teams with MWC level talent which is what the Utes are getting.

• Black&Blue St George, Utah
    July 28, 2014 12:27 p.m.

The Utes look pretty solid at WR. But their production will be greatly determined by who is throwing them the ball and the improvement of an O-line that has struggled against PAC-12 defensive fronts. There is plenty of talent and depth, but the rotating door of OC's and scheme changes makes the Ute's offense an unknown. The key to Utah's offense will be balance and avoiding turnovers. Unfortunately, I don't know if it will be enough against a grueling schedule. Conference road games will be the deciding factor.

From a BYU fan hoping Utah is able to make a dent and climb the ranks of the PAC-12.

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    July 28, 2014 12:49 p.m.

Tj " Not a lot to be optimistic about."

I believe most will disagree with you. You should be more concerned with what your team has to work with. I can assure you, it's nothing on the talent level of the Utes.

• Black&Blue St George, Utah
    July 28, 2014 1:32 p.m.

Stringer Bell,

"You should be more concerned with what your team has to work with. I can assure you, it's nothing on the talent level of the Utes."

Now that is a pretty bold claim. Do you have any facts to back that up? Cause I've got some that prove otherwise...

Scout
    4 star recruits on Utahs Roster = 3 (Poutasi, Lutui, Barton)
    4 star recruits on BYU's Roster = 12 (Warner, Langi, Kearsley, Hinds, Mangum, Apo, Stout, Rowley, Kaufusi, Wilson, Bills, Hine)

Rivals
    4 star recruits on Utahs Roster = 8 (Lewis, Hansen, Salt, Thomas, Poutasi, Langi, Barton, Scott)
    4 star recruits on BYU's Roster = 10 (Warner, Kurtz, Kearsley, Langi, Hinds, Mangum, Apo, Kaufusi, Bills, Matthews)

ESPN
    4 star recruits on Utahs Roster = 2 (Lotulelei, Law)
    4 star recruits on BYU's Roster = 9 (Blackmon, Nacua, Warner, Kearsley, Hinds, Pauu, Mangum, Apo, Kaufusi)

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 28, 2014 1:47 p.m.

Black&Blue,

The proof is on the scoreboard.

• taylormade1 Springville, UT
    July 28, 2014 2:26 p.m.

ekute,
    last year, last year , last year does not the future make ! let us talk again about half way through this upcoming season !

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    July 28, 2014 2:28 p.m.

@Black&Blue

You can keep the stars. We'll keep the wins.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 28, 2014 2:28 p.m.

@East Coast Ute

Thanks for the WR position pre-review.

@Black&Blue

NFL disagrees, 2 BYU players have been drafted in 4 years. Of which, one was recruited by Dave Rose.

The stars were earned in high school, the right to play in the NFL was earned at the college level. Your talent is on par with Colorado.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 28, 2014 2:34 p.m.

Stringer bell
    Correct. It appears that BYU is a little above the Utes level with current roster. In my opinion, the last 3 recruiting classes have been about equal as far as scouting services. BYU had a very slight edge last year and appears to be heading in that direction again this year. As I stated above. I do not feel the Utes have reason to believe that their overall talent level has improved from the last two years and I feel that their depth may be slightly lower. The other two teams, USU and BYU seem to be on the rise in these areas. Just the way I see it. I would love to see Whitt on the BYU sidelines next season but his relationship with Bronco probably won't allow that. I would not be surprised to see him somewhere else as a HC or even a D-coordinator in a power conference next year.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    July 28, 2014 2:36 p.m.

Black&Blue
    St George, Utah

"BYU recruits much better talent than Utah pretty much across the board, even with your PAC-12 membership. Granted, better talent does not equal wins obviously. But stating that BYU's talent is inferior to Utah's is simply not true."

Really? So, I don't know where you are getting the players you list, some are on missions one of them is both Utah and byu (Langi). Recruiting classes have not even been close for several years.

byu's 0-4 record against the Utes does not bode well for your assertion.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    July 28, 2014 2:53 p.m.

Black& blue is right we would have tons more Nfl players to but the Nfl has a hard time seeing how much more talented we are.

• Little Pete South Jordan, UT
    July 28, 2014 2:55 p.m.

I'm so excited! We are going to be explosive! KABAM!

Chris B - 7-5 really? 12-0 for sure! Mark it down!

Go Pac 12!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    July 28, 2014 3:04 p.m.

TJ:

"I would love to see Whitt on the BYU sidelines next season"

That's what you cougars have been saying for a decade! I guess it is always good to dream!

Go Utes!!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 28, 2014 4:49 p.m.

Vegas Ute. I was actually saying that Whitt would be a good D Coordinator or position coach at BYU working under Mendenhall had he not burned some Bridges. I would have chosen Whitt several years ago but believe now that Bronco was / is the better fit for BYU. When the Utes fail to make a bowl this year and Whitt is gone, I believe he has had enough success to land another job and eventually end up as a HC at some point in the future.

• UteinIdaho Sandpoint, ID
    July 28, 2014 9:13 p.m.

It is so weird getting on a Ute article and seeing a bunch of silly nonsense comments from coug fans. Us Ute fans are the ones who are "obsessed with everything BYU" because we comment on BYU articles. This is the first I have seen of those same coug fans who make those ridiculous remarks about Ute fans doing just that on a Ute article. Weird

• positivethinker Magna, UT
    July 28, 2014 11:05 p.m.

@Black&Blue:

You lost all your credibility in your post about Langi being on BYU's roster. Langi hasn't officially declared to the media or any other credible source yet, on where he is going to school.....Last week he was visting California PAC 12 Schools....he hasn't officially declared where he will be going to school.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 29, 2014 11:48 a.m.

@ positivethinker

There were pictures all over social media last night with Langi hanging out with two BYU players saying it was official.