Opinion

Mary Barker: The Romney I may have voted for

Comments

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    July 24, 2014 5:06 a.m.

• ECR Burke, VA
    July 24, 2014 5:34 a.m.

"An astute businessman, he could nevertheless see beyond his own class and profession. He recognized, for example, that the world favors power and privilege as well as merit. Thus, he eschewed the easy association of wealth with virtue and recognized that not everyone pursues the former. He combined a mind for business with a passion for social justice."

Such a great essay. The statement quoted above, in a nutshell, describes what made George Romney so different from his son. Neither of them reach the highest office in the land but it's not hard to determine which one will leave the brightest star in future history books.

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    July 24, 2014 6:10 a.m.

My vote in 2012 had little to do with either Presidential candidate. My vote was against the Republican Party - or what passes for it these days. I worried that the extremists that have hijacked the party would see a win as further encouragement and I was so relieved when the rebuke came instead.

In the SSM debate, opponents speak of being bullied into silence. I think this is the case for moderate Republicans and conservative Democrats. Reason, pragmatism, service to the country rather than to one's ideology - they've been bullied into a corner and it is costing us.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    July 24, 2014 6:29 a.m.

God Bless YOU Mary Barker, for yet another fantastic article!

This echoed my feeling precisely.
    This was the Romney I could have fully supported!

It is also precisely why had high hopes of his Son Mitt, as Governor of Massachusetts,
    but championed AGAINST him tooth and nail, when he flip-flopped 180 when he ran for President. What was that anyway?

Tea-Publican Mitt was the 100% polar opposite antithesis of his good Father -- GEORGE!

• Deseretina Murray, UT
    July 24, 2014 7:09 a.m.

The apple seems to have fallen from the tree, then picked up and tossed.

• Pops NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    July 24, 2014 7:21 a.m.

How do we foster people like George Romney?

It's next to impossible in our current political environment. Those willing to run for office have to endure all kinds of insults and abuse. Look what happened to Mitt, who happens to be a decent person. (If you don't know Mitt personally, you have no way of sorting through the garbage that is said about him.) We will never have candidates like George Romney until we all become more like George Romney.

That means raising children in a home with a mother and a father should be the rule rather than the exception - not in a broken home, an "alternative" home, or in a daycare center. That means we need to teach our children to fear God and obey his commandments, rather than to pick and choose which values are convenient and to ignore the rest. That means we should treat others with courtesy and respect, rather than with insults and incivility.

That we lack candidates of the caliber of George Romney is a symptom of a problem, not the root problem.

• FatherOfFour WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    July 24, 2014 7:21 a.m.

Mitt Romney wasn't a bad governor himself. If he had run on his record as governor instead of running away from it I would have voted for him myself. Under Mitt, Massachusetts became the first state to allow marriage equality. Mitt later campaigned on this fact with the Log Cabin Republicans (a republican LGBT group) and he received their endorsement in 2012. Mitt also passed the largest, most sweeping, and longest standing assault weapons ban in the country. Not to mention the fact that Obamacare was directly modeled on the health care plan Romney established in Massachusetts. Romney stated in his book that his plan should be used as a model for the nation, and had three advisers from the Romney staff work with President Obama to help build Obamacare.

• liberal larry salt lake City, utah
    July 24, 2014 7:25 a.m.

Excellent editorial.

It reminds me of the way Republicans used to be.

My conservative Republican father never saw a school bond he didn't vote for, he was a strict Catholic but believed in evolution, he viewed gays as a "live and let live" issue, and once after looking at all the houses on what used to be old growth forests he conceded, "maybe those environmentalists are on to something".

In other words he was thoughtful, open minded, and believed in the power of a well run government to help people.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    July 24, 2014 7:55 a.m.

I too could've voted for George, and it's a tragedy that his truth-telling about Vietnam gave us Nixon instead.

What a contrast with Mitt, who believes that "47%" of us are irredeemably irresponsible, including, for example, my 91 year old mom who worked her heart out all her life and is now in her frailty getting a little help from Social Security and Medicare. In Mitt's book, that makes her an irresponsible moocher. That's why I could have gladly voted for the dad but NEVER for the son.

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    July 24, 2014 8:25 a.m.

It's been a few days so another Romney article was due.

Is he the other GOP candidate worth talking about? What about Chris Christie, Jeb Bush, Rick Bush Perry, Sarah Palin, and Pastor Huckabee?

Oh, yes, I agree. Let's stick with Romney! He's a far better candidate than the other repubs!

• Esquire Springville, UT
    July 24, 2014 8:35 a.m.

Good op-ed piece. So much more that could be said.

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 24, 2014 9:13 a.m.

Re:FatherofFour
    Who was Mitt?
    Romney ran against all of that.

Mitt opposed same-sex marriage and anything akin to it. He said he favored civil rights for LGBT people, but didn't even believe in civil unions if they differed from marriage in name only.

MA Congress passed an assault weapons ban, Romney signed it. He then campaigned on other measures in the bill/law that extended gun rights and has stated repeatedly he doesn't believe we need more gun laws.

Romney opposed a national health care plan--even if it was based on Romneycare.

• Joan Watson TWIN FALLS, ID
    July 24, 2014 9:14 a.m.

The "apple does not fall far from the tree" The fact is, George Romney would not have become president of the U.S. because the majority would not have voted for him - just as the majority did not vote for his son, Mitt Romney. Perhaps future opines and editorials will bemoan the fact that good men and true, capable of great leadership and guidance, were not elected president

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    July 24, 2014 9:27 a.m.

As smart as Mitt is he is being used by the Republican Party. Sure Mitt is a likeable guy and he may have a following but he has no down to earth experience. The Republicans are endorsing Mitt because he can afford to spend his own money on another Presidential run. If they can persuade him to do it they will save millions of dollars. I sure hope he does not get sucked into their ugly web.

Mitt don't be fooled by the Republican Party. They are using you!

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    July 24, 2014 9:27 a.m.

"It reminds me of the way Republicans used to be."

My sentiments exactly. Those were the days when I voted mostly Republican and was proud of it.

Today, when I occasionally vote GOP, I am too embarrassed to admit it.

I hope that the GOP of old returns some day. I will be there with open arms.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    July 24, 2014 9:37 a.m.

Growing up in Michigan and meeting Gov. Romney on several occasions he seemed to be everything the author writes about. He was respected by all segments of those he governed and he did have the courage to take a stand within his own political party.
    The election was Mitt's for the taking but he ran to right and cuddled with the right wing extremist (T-Party) and that sealed his fate. Outside of small segments of our society politicans like Cruz, Lee, and Palin have no mass appeal in our country.
    One other note, Mitt was not a sucessful or popular one term Govenor. He left office with an approval rating in the mid 30's as he back tracked (Obama critics call these lies) on many commitments he made to the public. His Dad was always what he said he was and that's one trait his son never seemed to acquire.

• UT Brit London, England
    July 24, 2014 9:46 a.m.

Romney even stood up to pressure from the church. He seemed a man of integrity.

• Xplor Mesquite, NV
    July 24, 2014 11:09 a.m.

As if to prove an old adage by being the exception that proves the rule Mitt is clearly the apple that fell a long long way from the tree.

• Anchovey Provo, UT
    July 24, 2014 11:43 a.m.

I believe in Mitt Romney's abilities to lead. When he became head of a bruised 2002 SLC Olympic committee he inherited a dysfunctional organization and he had to deal with the aftermath of 9/11 (2001). He did not demand a salary nor did he lead from behind. He was front and center and he inspired the league of Olympic volunteers--I was an Olympic volunteer. He and his team came up with creative ways to involve the Olympic volunteers, who, for the most part were busy students, fathers, mothers, and professional people with time constraints. I have read, that as governor of Massachusetts, neither Mitt nor his lieutenant governor commanded a salary. He lives to serve. He is transparent. He knows history (for example, what did Mitt say about Russia during the last presidential election debates that Obama soundly ridiculed, but that alas, has come to pass?) He is a family man. He is real and not perfect. But, he admits his imperfections. Mitt would not retreat to fund raising, golf, and vacations while the country (and the world) "burned."

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    July 24, 2014 12:22 p.m.

Although I like Mitt, he is not his father. I do not think there is anyone quite like George Romney. An example of his kind, charitable heart: no matter where he was or what he was doing, he made sure that his wife, Lenore, received a rose each day of their married life. Being age 77 and in the twilight of my life, I consider him to be my hero and my own Dad a close second. Too bad Mitt is not more like his father, although he has some of his traits, but not enough, I'm afraid. Had he have been willing to do some of the things his father did, he would have won the presidency election in a landslide. Just my opinion, though.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    July 24, 2014 12:49 p.m.

“The one fellow I don’t want to run against is [George] Romney. That guy could be tough....You have to be a little suspicious of somebody as good as Romney. No vices whatsoever, no smoking and no drinking. Imagine someone we know going off for twenty-four hours to fast and meditate, awaiting a message from the Lord whether or not to run.”
    - John F. Kennedy

(From The Pleasure of His Company, Paul Fay Jr.’s 1966 memoir of his friendship with President Kennedy.)

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    July 24, 2014 12:57 p.m.

@Blue, ECR, Karen R., LDS Liberal, FatherOfFour, liberal larry, Irony Guy,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your opinions.

I agree with your point if view.

@pops

Thank you for taking the time to offer your opinion.

I don't agree with your comment about fear.

Teach our children to fear Heavenly Father?

Never.

Teach our children to love Heavenly Father.

Always.

Teach our children to show by example our love for Heavenly Father by obeying him.

Always.

I do agree with your opinion about courtesy and respect.

Treat others with courtesy and respect, rather than with insults and incivility.

Always.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    July 24, 2014 1:09 p.m.

Karen R.,

“My vote in 2012 had little to do with either Presidential candidate. My vote was against the Republican Party - or what passes for it these days. I worried that the extremists that have hijacked the party would see a win as further encouragement and I was so relieved when the rebuke came instead….”
    ______________________________

That makes two of us. Once upon a time, I was always ready to vote for a good Republican over a bad Democrat. These days, I can’t even consider that until the Republican Party is ready to blow the accumulated soot out of its thinking.

• Indiana H Mission Viejo, CA
    July 24, 2014 1:20 p.m.

Good article! I believe that Mormons inherently should be a lot more politically moderate than they seem. Every group has group-think and if Mormons truly work at caring about all sides of an issue, and all sides of people, they'll moderate right out.

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    July 24, 2014 1:35 p.m.

Sure, George Romney was a good man.

But, wow.

The comments above trashing Mitt Romney show just how uneducated the majority of voters were about him. Sadly, score one for the liberal 'mainstream' media.

I researched Mitt Romney for almost 5 years. Did you?

I found 28 separate qualifications Mitt Romney had to be our President, and not one of them came from some creampuff Deseret News article.

I'm not saying the man walks on water. He doesn't. And, in his humility and honesty, Mitt Romney has often said the same thing.

However, Mitt Romney was hands down the best Presidential candidate, both in 2008 and 2012 and none of the other guys even came close, and that includes the guy in the White House now. Humble? Hard-working? Honest? Charitable? Yes, to all of those and many, many more.

The truth is sitting there in front of you if you really want to see it.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    July 24, 2014 1:49 p.m.

Blue: "What does it say about the state of today's GOP that Mitt is still the only person they've got who seems even remotely to be presidential material?"

With Obama, Hillary, and Harry seeming to be the best the Democratic party can offer, I think you are throwing stones from your glass house.

Let's face it, none of the liberals commenting here would have one good thing to say about George Romney if he were alive and running today against Hillary in 2016. This article would likewise probably be full of all the negative things that could be said about him.

The political landscape is so caustic that no one of real integrity is interested in the job anymore.

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 24, 2014 2:08 p.m.

Re:FatherofFour
    Romney ran against all of that.

Romney opposed a national health care plan--even if it was based on Romneycare.

• Whittling Whistler Lehi, UT
    July 24, 2014 2:23 p.m.

Anyone who would vote for Obama over ANY Romney is crazy...

• lovespeaks Lehi, UT
    July 24, 2014 2:27 p.m.

I was a little surprised that there were actually people who still cling to, and even believe, some of the anti-Mitt propaganda. I thought that was just Liberal Campaign rhetoric.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    July 24, 2014 2:34 p.m.

"George Romney, it appears, belonged to a dying establishment who were schooled in our civic traditions and thus had good "habits of the heart.'"

EXACTLY

In other words, today's "Conservatives" are a horribly corrupted and disfigured representation of real Conservatives from back in the day when public service meant public service, and NOT exploiting the poor and Middle Class so the rich can get richer.

The Elder Romney would NOT have dismissed the 47 percent as being unworthy of attention.

• koseighty The Shire, UT
    July 24, 2014 2:34 p.m.

Growing up I imagined what I considered to be the genius of our system of government -- like a pendulum it would swing back and forth from right to left, but the overall effect would be movement towards a common middle ground. Sadly, a "no compromise" attitude has taken over. While no one was 100% happy, the country worked, progress was made. Today politicians would rather watch the country burn than compromise in the least.

George Romney was one of those few politicians who did what was right in spite of official positions taken by his party or even his church. (Apostle Delbert Stapley wrote Romney, telling him to toe the official church line and oppose civil rights. Romney instead did what was right and continued to fight for equality.) Such a man could never get party sanction today as there is no room for discussion or compromise. (Different issues today, of course. But bucking the part in one area is not allowed.)

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    July 24, 2014 2:35 p.m.

I don't think George Romney or Ronald Reagan could get the Republican Nomination these days. There would be a chorus of people calling them RINOs - Republican In Name Only. I suspect things are going to have to get worse before the Party returns to the Big Tent tradition.

• roberto Moses Lake, WA
    July 24, 2014 2:37 p.m.

Does anybody really thing that Gorge would have survived in today's political culture? I completely understand why somebody would want to vote against a republican party to day. Unfortunately that is exactly that attitude that got us the failure that we have now in the White house. I feel that by Obama's second term it was painfully obvious the direction we were going. That vote wasn't nearly as hard as the McCain/Palin run because I think that McCain is a RINO without a spine. I do believe that Mit does have a spine and could have corrected the course. The only thing that will correct it now is that We the voters suck it up and vote for the candidate that will do what is best for the country, and not the one that will promise us more stuff.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    July 24, 2014 3:15 p.m.

@ Deseretina
    "The apple seems to have fallen from the tree, then picked up and tossed."

Really? How??
    Mitt built his own business, donated large sums to education and charities (see Obama's donations), gives freely of his time to serve others in his church calling, understands the economy, is a model of success as a good father and husband.

I am never amazed to see the lies people try to pass on these types of forums. Obama's strategy was simple: paint Mitt as an out of touch elitist and promise ignorant people free stuff, and it worked, he got re-elected and everybody loss. Look at the polls where Obama is today. Please don't buy into CNN or even Fox News. They exist for ratings and making stories out of everything.

• Mark l SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 24, 2014 3:39 p.m.

Progressives like this author like to point out how "extreme" the republican party has become, but fail to demonstrate the particular policies that are extreme. How exactly are conservatives who support the TEA party extreme?

This piece is merely an attempt by a progressive to portray herself as a moderate, but I doubt she would ever vote for a conservative.

• UTCProgress American Fork, UT
    July 24, 2014 4:37 p.m.

Unfortunately there would be no party (at least at a national level) for a man like George Romney today. He would never survive the Republican primary process due to his support of civil rights and his religious convictions would kill him in the Democratic primaries.

We get the presidents that we deserve. We have set up a system that is controlled by special (moneyed) interests. We have allowed the most extreme elements on both sides of the aisle to control access to the nomination process. Americans in general are too busy/lazy/confused to actively research the candidates. If you want to understand who is responsible for the slow collapse of the greatness of the United States of America, look in the mirror.

• Outside-View Federal Way, WA
    July 24, 2014 4:59 p.m.

This is probably also closer to the type of politician leader that Mitt Romney wanted to be (more moderate) than todays political parties will allow to be in office.

I would have voted for Mitt except for the pledge to cut more taxes. I just could not accept that. What ever happened to the ideal of paying your bills and not borrowing. That includes war expenses. If we paid them rather than borrow the money and never feeling the pain caused by these wars, we would be better off.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    July 24, 2014 5:10 p.m.

I not only would have voted for George Romney, I would have actively supported him an campaigned for him. From everything I've seen, George Romney (unlike his son Mitt) was an honest and ethical man. He (again unlike his aforenamed son) would have been an excellent President. The country was ill-served when he was denied the opportunity to serve.

@Joan Watson 9:14 a.m. July 24, 2014 -- "Perhaps future opines and editorials will bemoan the fact that good men and true, capable of great leadership and guidance, were not elected president." That would make a good article. Unfortunately, neither the Republicans nor the Democrats have done that since Harry Truman. Certainly, none of the people nominated since Truman have been good men and true, and the country has been extremely fortunate that the defeated candidates in the last few election cycles were in fact defeated (great leadership and guidance were nowhere to be found in their character, temperament or actions). George Romney was the exception to the rule -- he WAS one of the "good men and true, capable of great leadership and guidance" who has run for president in my lifetime. I wish he had been elected.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    July 24, 2014 5:20 p.m.

• Pianoman Salt Lake City, UT
    July 24, 2014 5:53 p.m.

Mitt is still better than Barrack Obama.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    July 24, 2014 6:59 p.m.

Aside from his distain for the poor,
    and endless flip-flopping...

The difference between Mitt Romney the politician,
    and his Father George Romney the politician...

George was genuine, and was man of integrity -- through and through.
    He said is what he believe, regardless of people wanted to hear.

Mitt played to whatever crowd he was in front of.
    And could be on 2 sides of any issue in the very same day.

• DuckOuttaWater SLC , UT
    July 24, 2014 7:40 p.m.

I wish I could agree with many of the democrats and liberals posting here, but I can't. What needs to be understood is that today's climate is very polar and the days of moderate Republicans and conservative Democrats are dying. Both parties make demands and have ideologies and absolutely refuse to compromise. In this political environment what did people expect? Of course Mitt was going to try and pander to the Tea Party and Republican base. If he hadn't he would have lost by a much larger margin. If he had run on principle as so many of you suggest, he would have lost that base and the tea partiers, and yes I'm saying the GOP is a lot less G today.

However, lets not pretend like either party is truly "representative of the people" anymore. Anyone who believes that corruption and dishonesty don't exist equally on both sides of the aisle need to spend some "quality" time in Washington. Lets not pretend the Democratic Party has anyone currently equal to FDR...or even JFK for that matter ("ask not what your country can do for you"...not today's Democratic Party).

• Pops NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    July 24, 2014 7:50 p.m.

@There You Go Again:

The dictionary can be your friend. The word "fear" has multiple meanings that depend on context. Try this one on for size from M-W Online: "fear: to have a reverential awe of ". I think it's the right word. There seem to be two prevalent attitudes about God in Utah: some pretend he is their best buddy, and others despise him. I think "fear God" strikes the right balance.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    July 24, 2014 8:21 p.m.

" McCain is a RINO without a spine."

Every decent person in the Republican Party is a RINO, and therefore shunned by the Republican Base.

That's why you don't find many decent people running for office with Republican credentials.

The Republican Party took a hard Right Turn during the Reagan era . . . toward evil.

The Germans did the same thing in the 1930's.

It didn't work out well for them, and it hasn't worked well for us either.

• Whittling Whistler Lehi, UT
    July 24, 2014 9:28 p.m.

The African Americans that I know are usually offended when people pretend that the movement to give tax money to homosexuals is related to the real Civil Rights movement that the Romney's were involved in. I would hope that George would be as intelligent as Mitt, and would see through the propaganda wars. Martin Luther King did, reportedly, say that George would make a good President. MLK wasn't an anti-mormon like liberals. I think Mitt could have been one of the best Presidents America has seen, but, sadly, too many Americans believe the bigotry promoted by activists, liberals, and even some conservatives. Our Country is now headed down under a President who does too little, too late, and then lies about it.

• coltakashi Richland, WA
    July 24, 2014 10:33 p.m.

My guess is that George Romney resents being used as a cudgel for beating up on his son, who learned about politics at the feet of his father, who served Haitian immigrants and Cambodian refugees as a bishop and stake president, who donates millions of dollars to charitable cases, and who taught his five sons by example to get their hands dirty helping others clean up their homes after wildfires and helping disabled people. When the teenage daughter of one f Mitt's business partners went missing in New York, he shut down the company and took all the employees from Boston to New York to look for her, offering a reward for information and getting the word ut through their clients, like Staples. They found her and saved her life. Mitt has done more to help other people with his personal resources than all the critics who wrote this article and criticized him.

• nicholdraper West Jordan, UT
    July 24, 2014 10:50 p.m.

These nostalgic looks back in time with the hint of what might have been really don't serve any useful purpose. I correctly guessed that the American people were going to vote for a Democrat. I sold my USA real estate in 2008, paid down my debts and moved a retirement account to China. We will never know if a Romney would have made a good president, but we know that Obama didn't. The question is if the American people have had their fill of what we have. They haven't. We will be stuck with the Democratic machine's next pick. If Hillary agrees to be the progressive's puppet we may have a woman as president. And it will be four more years of "What difference does it make."

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    July 25, 2014 6:29 a.m.

@Whittling Whistler
    Lehi, UT

... anti-mormon like liberals.

9:28 p.m. July 24, 2014

========

Ouch!
    Do you know how offensive that is?

How does "anti-mormon like conservatives" sound?

Liberal, Mormon - and proud of it.

• ordinaryfolks seattle, WA
    July 25, 2014 7:01 a.m.

Maybe Romney the elder believed something that Romney Jr can not.

That government can be a force for good and needed change in people's lives. Romney Sr apparently experienced some of life's hardships, and saw inequality for what it was - unfair. He seemed to work to change things for the everyday man and woman of the country and the state that he governed.

Romney the younger never experienced true depravation. Metaphorically, he was born on second base and thought he hit a double. Now he is clever, and apparently quite able in his ability to manage a business and turn a buck. However, this does not necessarily translate into a good national leader.

Empathy is sometimes learned, but almost always experienced. Romney Jr has done his good works, but just does not seem to understand that our government can uplift people's lives. His solutions for problems in this country were not plausible, and he was turned down by the majority for good reasons.

• FreedomFighter41 Provo, UT
    July 25, 2014 7:32 a.m.

Mitt only proved time and time again that he didn't have a single concrete belief or opinion other than he would do or say anything to be elected.

This hurt him.

No one knew what he even stood for.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    July 25, 2014 8:00 a.m.

@Pianoman 5:53 p.m. July 24, 2014

Mitt is still better than Barrack Obama.

---------------------

You've got that backward. In truth, the reverse is true. Bad a Obama is, an there's not much he does that I like, Romney would have been infinitely worse.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    July 25, 2014 8:22 a.m.

After leaving the Governor's chair and making his first run for President in 2008, his shift to the right on signature issues like abortion, gun control, and immigration had both the left and the right wondering which was the real Mitt Romney. He went from being a Governor with broad based support to being a Presidential candidate in search of a base.

• Paul Timothy Gibbs Taylorsville, UT
    July 25, 2014 8:50 a.m.

This does sound like a Romney I might have voted for. I wish I had seen more of these qualities in the Romney who ran in 2012. In many respects I feel what I saw was the polar opposite.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    July 25, 2014 9:00 a.m.

Furry1993: "...George Romney (unlike his son Mitt) was an honest and ethical man."

I find it funny that you and others on this forum would never vote for Mitt because you don't think he is honest, yet you had no trouble voting for the most dishonest president this country may have ever seen. Time and time again, Obama has been caught red-handed telling the American people a bag of lies to promote his ideology, yet you give him a complete pass on all of them.

If you dislike Mitt's policies...fine. If you like Obama's...fine. But at least be honest about why you support one and not the other. It has NOTHING to do with personal integrity.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    July 25, 2014 9:51 a.m.

JoeCapitalist2
    Orem, UT

9:00 a.m. July 25, 2014

========

I did not vote for Barrack Obama either time.
    last election I voted for Republican Jon H. Huntsman Jr for President.

I "support" him because he is THE President of the United States.
    Just like I did GW Bush, who I personally dispised.

This is why I loathe the GOP trashing the President.
    It's hurting the Country.
    And as a military veteran, I will fight and defend the United States -- regardless of who's the President.

If you want to destroy America -- I will fight you all tooth and nail.

If you have better Ideas, put them out there.
    If they win the majority of the vote, then we go forward.
    If not, fall in line.

• ARIZONA NATIVE Mesa, AZ
    July 25, 2014 12:12 p.m.

The media and the public get too caught up in special interest positions rather than electing the person who is most qualified to be the leader of the largest organization in the western hemisphere. We had the opportunity to elect the most qualified administrator to ever choose to be a candidate for the Presidency. Instead, we elected a man who is the least capable man to ever lead this country. Now we are seeing the fruits of that choice. The last year has been an utter disaster as Obama botches opportunity after opportunity in foreign affairs and domestic issues. Fortunately, even the media is joining the rest of the country with a bad case of "buyer's remorse". I realize that it probably won't happen, but Mitt will be needed in 2016 more than ever!

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    July 25, 2014 12:34 p.m.

Just to be clear I didn't vote for Mitt Romney because he claimed to be a conservative. He was the less liberal of the two candidates.

Why do we need to be like Europe where the choice is Communist on the left and Socialist on the right. That is what they do. Candidates like George Romney are just that. You can choose the Uber liberal in the Democrat party or the moderate liberal in the Republican party. Either way the destination is the same.

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    July 25, 2014 2:06 p.m.

@Whittling Whistler
    "The African Americans that I know are usually offended when people pretend that the movement to give tax money to homosexuals is related to the real Civil Rights movement that the Romney's were involved in. "

African Americans who oppose equal rights for gays would probably be offended since the implicit assertion in the comparison is that they're hypocrites for opposing it.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    July 25, 2014 4:08 p.m.

@JoeCapitalist2 9:00 a.m. July 25, 2014

---------------------

One problem with your comment. I didn't vote for Obama. I wrote in Jon Huntsman, Jr., the only decent and capable candidate in the whole 2012 election process. It's truly sad that he was too moderate and reasonable to get through the nomination process. Huntsman could have beaten Obama.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    July 25, 2014 9:51 p.m.

@Furry1993
    Ogden, UT

Remember --
    This is the same group that NOW calls Barry Goldwater [i.e., Reagan's mentor] a RINO!

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 25, 2014 9:53 p.m.

As the Blame Someone Else rhetoric becomes time worn, Obama sycophants try to deflect attention away from the poor performance of the president by focusing on Mitt Romney. Many voters, myself included, have buyers remorse at voting for Obama.

• elkym Provo, UT
    July 26, 2014 7:18 a.m.

Mary knocks it out of the park again.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    July 26, 2014 8:11 a.m.

@
    LDS Liberal 9:51 p.m. July 25, 2014

@Furry1993
    Ogden, UT

Remember --

-----------------

True. It was a sad day when they hijacked the Republican Party and the conservative label. Side note -- that's why I'm still a member of the Republican Party. I'm trying (against huge odds) to get the party away from the extreme far right fringe dwellers an back to what it should be.

I know you quoted this before, and I am re-quoting because Barry Goldwater said it SO well an SO correctly: "Do not associate my name with anything you do. You are extremists, and you've hurt the Republican party much more than the Democrats have." For Goldwater (who established conservatism on the then-far right fringes of the political spectrum) to make that type of comment, the people about whom he was speaking had to be truly extreme far-right fringe dwellers. He was right (and correct).

• Bill Fitz LAKE BLUFF, IL
    July 26, 2014 5:02 p.m.

Well said Anchovy. And notice how easy it is to bash Romney. Well all of you Obama lovers and Romney bashers are getting just what you deserve from a novice in the White House. The sad part is that we all knew he had zero leadership experience. The poor underdog mentality showed itself in voting for the highest office in the land. How else could he win? And is it not interesting that Obama supporters and or Romney bashers will not admit that Romney or even me could have done better than the dictator we now have.

• Bob K Davis, CA
    July 26, 2014 8:22 p.m.

Joan Watson
    TWIN FALLS, ID
    "The "apple does not fall far from the tree" The fact is, George Romney would not have become president of the U.S. because the majority would not have voted for him."

-- George was a considerably better liked public figure than Mitt.

Uncle Rico
    Sandy, UT
    "Obama's strategy: paint Mitt as an out of touch elitist and promise ignorant people free stuff, and it worked"

--Romney and his wife's own statements sunk him. Your comment about "ignorant people" is shameful and un-Christian.

UTCProgress
    American Fork, UT
    "..and his religious convictions would kill him in the Democratic primaries."

-- Democrats would have had little trouble voting for a mormon before Prop 8.

Hutterite
    American Fork, UT
    "Republicans used to be a party of ideas instead of a party of ideology and 'no'. Still, this article feels a bit like DN is still carrying a flame."

-- A flame? From all the articles attempting to prove America's instincts wrong, it's more like a Lake of Fire, lol.

Mark l
    SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    "..merely an attempt by a progressive to portray herself as a moderate"

-- She is a moderate, you don't get it.

• Bob K Davis, CA
    July 26, 2014 8:32 p.m.

Whittling Whistler
    Lehi, UT
    " the movement to give tax money to homosexuals"

-- You mean allowing Gay citizens exactly the same taxes and benefits as straight? I noticed that in some Klan-friendly States, complaints were made that it would cost money to allow married Gay folks to have benefits.

RedShirt
    USS Enterprise, UT
    "The fact that liberals love him, makes we even more worried about politicians like George Romney....Hopefully somebody realizes that the US needs 2 candidates that represent 2 distinct points of view, not just 2 versions of the same collectivist goal."

-- Actually, liberals and moderates found Mitt unlikable for pandering to the right.

Paul Timothy Gibbs
    Taylorsville, UT

-- Good for you for not pretending he is perfect because he is mormon royalty as too many Utahns do!

• Screwdriver Casa Grande, AZ
    July 27, 2014 3:36 p.m.

Too bad authoritarianism, corporatism and militarism have taken over the republican party. It's been a long time since the republican party were the party of abolitionist and created the EPA.

It's even been a long time since Reagan said he considered HIMSELF an environmentalist.

• Screwdriver Casa Grande, AZ
    July 27, 2014 3:39 p.m.

If Mitt would have run on his true record and run as a democrat he could at least be Vice president right now going into 2016 instead of first looser.

• skrekk Dane, WI
    July 27, 2014 3:59 p.m.

@FstherOfFour "Under Mitt, Massachusetts became the first state to allow marriage equality. Mitt later campaigned on this fact with the Log Cabin Republicans (a republican LGBT group) and he received their endorsement in 2012."

No thanks to Mitt who vehemently opposed marriage equality in Massachusetts and sponsored an effort after the Goodridge v Dept of Health ruling to amend the state's constitution to ban same-sex marriage. He thinks gay Americans should be denied the civil rights he enjoys. He's definitely not the man his father was.

• delasalle Sandy, UT
    July 28, 2014 1:57 a.m.

Great article. I was in Michigan the day George Romney died. I kept seeing on tv "Death of a Hero" repeated over and over. He was revered throughout the state, across economic and racial lines, for what he did and accomplished as Governor. I'm fairly confident that Michigan's constitution was the first to include civil rights as a result of Gov Romney's efforts at a time when his own church had racist policies in place. Great example even today of true integrity and leadership.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    July 28, 2014 9:35 a.m.

Hey Whittling Whistler -

Your reference to "anti-mormon liberals" doesn't make much sense.

The most anti-Mormon people in the United States are the ones who most closely identify themselves with Conservatism . . . Although quite a few of them actually voted for Romney in lieu of voting for an African American with Muslim heritage.

They prioritized their prejudices and voted for Romney, but it doesn't mean they are pro-Mormon.

A much larger percentage of "Conservatives" than Liberals, think Mormonism is the work of the Devil.

As a matter of fact, I can't think of any Liberal who is venomously Anti-Mormon. That kind of nonsensical hate is endemic to "Conservative" circles, not to Liberals.

It was the Liberalism of the founding fathers that specified the Separation of Church State. And that, in turn, allowed Mormonism to thrive in a nation full of Christian denominations hostile to Mormonism.

• Democrat Provo, UT
    July 28, 2014 10:41 a.m.

@Pops:
    You nailed it. Our political problems are a reflection of us as a people. Mitt is a lot like George but knows he couldn't get elected without navigating a GOP primary system that is toxic. At times Mitt looked more like a panderer than a leader but I believe he is a good man.

We need to teach our kids that our country is more important than our political opinions. We need to teach respect of neighbors, leaders, teachers, military, police, etc. The way our country has treated our 3 most recent Presidents has been astoundingly bad. Children need to hear parents pray for national leaders by name. We need to go back to reading newspapers instead of gorging ourselves on talk radio, cable TV, conspiracy theories and other forms of political porn. Teach kids to "fear" (i.e., respect God) and we'll then recognize we are brothers and sisters. Teach our families not to demonize others but to listen. Only then will more of the George and Lenore Romney's want to get involved.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    July 29, 2014 1:49 p.m.

And so no chance for Mitt as there was no chance for George.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Sept. 10, 2014 11:45 a.m.

The house, senate and maybe even the presidency need to be returned to the politicians of a couple generations ago. Loud, obnoxious old guys who got drunk every afternoon. They knew how to get along with one another, and how to get things of government done.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2014 1:49 p.m.

Romney all the time in this paper.

• Noodlekaboodle Poplar Grove, UT
    Sept. 10, 2014 2:56 p.m.

@DuckOuttaWater
    The problem(at least for me) is which Mitt were we getting? The Mitt that was beholden to the Tea Party conservatives, or the Mitt who ran the Olympics and was the governor of Massachusetts. Because i'd vote for the Olympics/governor Mitt. I wouldn't vote for the "severely conservative" one.

• Bob K Davis, CA
    Sept. 10, 2014 9:44 p.m.

FDRfan
    Sugar City, ID
    "I have nothing to base an opinion on but I believe Mitt Romney would have been more like his father than what is being said here. You have to get elected first and Mitt Romney was forced into positions. But those who forced him have too much egotism to admit their failed strategy.
    And so no chance for Mitt as there was no chance for George."

--- You may be right, but who would trust a President who went liberal to win in Mass, then switched to "severetly conservative" to get the support and money of the current bunch who control republican politics?

George Romney stuck to what he believed in. Having been raised in privilege cost Mitt the opportunity to develop strong convictions, other than what his church and his wife told him.

If Mitt were George, he would have told those who wanted him to change to go away.

---- By the way, I take issue with the charitable deductions given. Tithing required to be in good standing does not count as charity. George gave several times as much, beyond the 10%, as Mitt.

• Mark from Montana Davis County, UT
    Sept. 10, 2014 9:53 p.m.

There are no 'George Romneys' in the Republican party today. Nor in the Democratic party. There are lots of Nixons, Cruzs, Lees in the Republican part. Lots of Reids, Pelosis and similar ilk in the Democratic party.

Today it is not 'Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.' It is grab what can while no one is looking.

• Utefan60 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2014 10:02 p.m.

The Mitt Romney that was Governor of Massachusetts and united a strongly Democratic State was not the same Mitt Romney that ran for President.

The original Mitt Romney presided over a state that made SSM legal and their health care program was copied almost word for word to form The Affordable Care Act.

If he had held true to his beliefs that united his state of Massachusetts and not the way that the Tea Party and radical elements of the GOP wanted he would have won the election.

His flip flopping made him an unviable candidate.

• clearthink Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2014 11:30 p.m.

Between Barack Obama and Mitt Romney, Romney was far more like his father. True, he doesn't demonstrate the charitable priorities of George, nor does he reflect George's concern for the poor and minorities, at least not publicly. His biggest mistake was nominated a young white version of himself.

But despite his rhetoric, Barack Obama has increased poverty, dependency, and debt every year he's been President. He's expanded the wealth gap. He's increased unemployment for minorities. Mitt Romney would have done the opposite in all of these cases.

It's truly bizarre that people focus on what tax rate Romney pays. Obama and the Democrats enacted the tax law; Romney never served in Congress, so he has had zero influence in tax law.

• RichardB Murray, UT
    Sept. 11, 2014 3:40 a.m.

Romney's health care bill was changed quite a bit the year after he left office. It was the changed bill that was copied by Obama.

George was against the Vietnam way in 1967, it ended his run for President. I see more similar views than differences. I see his father as a religious man who would be for equal rights, but not marriage.

The Democrats use to be for the working man, but they have changed also, at the hands of the Progressive Democrats.

• SCfan clearfield, UT
    Sept. 11, 2014 7:34 a.m.

I hope Mary also sees the OBAMA she should NOT have voted for too.

• Utefan60 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2014 7:52 a.m.

At church I finally heard the best comment/comeback that I've heard in a long time. One staunch Tea Party member who preaches from the pulpit confronted a member of the congregation and said "No Mormon can be a Democrat!" The response was enlightening. "No Christian can be a Republican!"

About says it all.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2014 8:23 a.m.

I have no inherent devotion to the Republican party; however the hypocrisy of the posters on this article illustrate why there are no viable alternatives.

It is hypocritical to cry that the Republican party has changed when the current president ran on a platform of "Change".

It is disingenuous to claim conservatives are extremists when the left hosts such hate groups as Planned Parenthood, the Democratic party is populated with extremists such as Al Shartpon, the administration is comprised of dishonest people such as Eric Holder, and the Orwellian left sponsors efforts to amend the Constitution to restrict freedom of speech.

The left cries about the Tea Party as if Occupy Wall Street was any sort of rational movement. I prefer Tea any day

Mitt haters complain about Obama critics - when it is pretty obvious that Mitt was prophetic about Obamas failure. Clean up your own house.

Either Romney would have been a better choice that what actually happened.

• skrekk Dane, WI
    Sept. 12, 2014 2:52 p.m.

Two key differences:

George Romney was a civil rights advocate, while Mitt Romney thinks some Americans should treated as 2nd-class citizens who are denied the civil rights he enjoys.

George Romney built up companies and elevated the working class, while Mitt Romney profited by breaking up companies and says that he enjoys firing people.

I suspect George would be embarrassed by his son.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2014 11:05 p.m.

"Obama received less votes the second time around than McCain did the first time, but still won because many conservatives were disillusioned by Romneycare and stayed home. Romney lost conservatives or he would have won the election."

Where do you guys get this stuff?

In the '08 election:

McCain 59,948,323 votes
    Obama 69,498,516 votes

'12 election

Romney 60,933,500
    Obama 65,915,796

65 million is more then 59 million.

And ROMNEY actually got MORE votes then McCain.

"The left cries about the Tea Party as if Occupy Wall Street was any sort of rational movement."

Occupy Wall Street? Who?

You see many occupy candidates? Running or in office? No? Neither do I. You see many Occupy people being interviewed anywhere? Neither do I.

"Orwellian left sponsors efforts to amend the Constitution to restrict freedom of speech."

Really? You call unlimited money in politics free speech? Whatever.

I call it bribery and corruption.

And planned parenthood is a "hate group"?

Wow, you've taken any meaning out of that term. (And I don't care about the founder, she's been dead many decades now.)

• Hank Jr Draper, UT
    Sept. 14, 2014 8:37 a.m.

You can decide on whether to be a socialist or a capitalist. Decide now this day, but decide wisely.