Comments

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    July 23, 2014 10:00 a.m.

So, out of 12 teams Utah is picked to finish 10th, I honestly believe Utah is better than that and will do better.

Go Utes!

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    July 23, 2014 10:05 a.m.

Go Utes!

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    July 23, 2014 10:07 a.m.

• Flyer St. George, UT
    July 23, 2014 10:08 a.m.

Not surprising. The Utes should have stayed in the MWC where they were somewhat of a national novelty, and were a big dog (along with the Cougars). Now they're simply a team who seems to have gotten themselves in over their heads, and searching for an identity. Good luck to coach Whittingham, and to the Utes in general.

• DuckOuttaWater SLC , UT
    July 23, 2014 10:22 a.m.

Nothing surprising about media predictions. Utes 5th and my Ducks 1st in the North. Here's hoping Utah has a breakout year and surprises the naysayers this season. Remember, no one predicted Auburn to win the SEC and go to the national championship last year either. Anything is possible.

GO DUCKS!

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    July 23, 2014 10:26 a.m.

Getting to six wins in the regular season will be a challenge this year. The only sure bet is the opening game. After that it's going to be tough sledding.

Idaho State at home = W.
    Fresno State at home = a must W.
    Michigan at Ann Arbor = a likely loss, but could we replicate 2008?
    UCLA at the Rose Bowl = likely loss.
    OSU at Corvallis = a must W, but it's been a tough place for us to play.
    USC at home = a must W, but USC is coming back.
    ASU at Tempe = a likely loss, and ASU has had our number since the Frank Kush days.
    Oregon at home = loss.
    Stanford in Palo Alto = loss.
    Arizona at home = a must W.
    Colorado at Boulder = a must W.

The only sure bet is the opening game. After that, if we beat Fresno and gain some confidence maybe Andy Phillips can channel his inner Louie Sakota for an upset at Michigan. If that happens we might be able to pull some other upsets. But six wins and a bowl win would be a major accomplishment and KW would deserve to keep his job.

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    July 23, 2014 10:29 a.m.

@FT:

Are you prognosticating that we should procrastinate this season?

• Natester Cedar Hills, UT
    July 23, 2014 10:29 a.m.

Cougar fan here... I for one will be cheering the Utes on to victory, each week and I really hope other Cougar fans will join me. It would be a great year to send a message to the nay-sayers that Utah is on the way back, and that the pre-season poll was nothing but motivation for a team that has a lot of talent and promise. Football in this state is much better with the Aggs, Utes and Cougs picking up wins when they aren't expected to win. Go Utes! Show 'em why you are better than that number.

And Go Cougars!

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 23, 2014 10:58 a.m.

@ Flyer

I've heard lot of Cougar fans say that Utah should have stayed in the MWC. I don't understand that, because Utah had already hit the ceiling, twice, in that conference. There was nothing left to prove. Now Utah is on to bigger and better things and has an opportunity to grow it's entire athletics program.

The whole mind set can be summarized as motivation to avoid failure vs. motivation to achieve success. In other words, playing not to lose vs. playing to win. Right now, Utah is playing to win even though it's the tougher road.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    July 23, 2014 10:59 a.m.

DuckOuttaWater
    SLC , UT

I enjoy your posts and welcome your fresh point of view.

Best of luck to the Ducks this year...the likely Pac-12 Champ IMO. It will be fun to welcome the Ducks in SLC!

Go Pac-12!!

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    July 23, 2014 11:01 a.m.

Johnny Triumph "Whitt should put some stock into that number, it shows the perception of the team by those who cover football. It's a bad sign for the year to come. I truly feel badly for the Utes and their fanbase, it's tough to endure poor season after poor season."

You are the one who is putting too much stock into a number. For the most part these writers miss more than they correctly predict. However, either way, it's just something to occupy the time before the season starts.

However, don't feel bad, or anything, for Ute fans. BYU fans have been more distressed over the adjustment to the big time than most Ute fans. The last three years have been a true thrill for me as a Ute fan, despite win-loss records. Our team earned their way into the big time and if it takes longer to start winning more and get into bowl games then that's ok. We are part of a very elite 65 university group and that bothers a lot of those on the outside looking in.

• 1978 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 23, 2014 11:10 a.m.

I am a big time BYU fan but it is time to put the rivalry talk aside for a moment.

There is no way that Utah does not make it to a bowl game this year. Travis Wilson is the most underrated quarterback that I know of. He has had a year to learn and recover from his injury and I believe will have a great year.

Utah always has a good defense and I think most teams in the PAC12 are going to overlook them, especially early on. Enjoy your season Ute fans it is going to be better than the "experts" are predicting.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    July 23, 2014 11:14 a.m.

I agree with Natester in believing the Utes are better than the media are predicting and I hope they are able to show it on the field. I believe the coaching issues have been resolved and I hope the injury bug doesn't rise up again. If those two issues are behind the team, they should be able to surprise some folks.

• Objectified Richfield, UT
    July 23, 2014 11:20 a.m.

Even though I'm a hardcore BYU fan, I do support any and all of our in-state teams whenever they play out of state teams. So in that respect, I'm like Natester in hoping Utah exceeds media predictions this season.

With their very tough schedule (SOS) this year, to finish with a winning record would say a lot and built momentum for years to come. It would also help recruiting immensely to get back to bowl games and the national exposure they generate.

Here's to hoping our entire in-state college football programs have exceptional seasons this year. It's fun to support and pull for more than just one football team. And it would be great if the state of Utah could eventually become known for it's overall competitive football programs on a year-to-year basis.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    July 23, 2014 11:21 a.m.

@Stringer - They don't always get it right but usually the media is pretty close. And I'm not putting any stock into the number, I couldn't care much less about the state of Utah football than I do.

As for the U earning its way into the big time I'd disagree since most of the talk of PAC inclusion (or BYU's exclusion) centers around the academics side of things. As @TwoForFlinching unwittingly said the U hit the ceiling of the MWC/WAC only twice, that hardly counts as earning anything. I'm sure you'd assert BYU's National Championship season was unwarranted and a fluke, BYU fans plus many others would say the same thing about the U's short run of success.

If losing to PAC opponents is more thrilling than BCS busting was then I'm happy for the U fanbase. But I'll bet that losing will get old soon. Otherwise you're on track to accept mediocrity for years to come.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    July 23, 2014 11:24 a.m.

@StringBell - amusing also that you assume my comment makes me a BYU fan. Just as you hope the media predictions prove incorrect your assumption of my affiliation is.

• Schwa South Jordan, UT
    July 23, 2014 11:30 a.m.

I'm pretty confused. This article is telling me that one of the voters picked Stanford to win the PAC 12, but nobody picked them to win the Northern Division? How does that work?

• Objectified Richfield, UT
    July 23, 2014 11:35 a.m.

Two For Flinching and Stinger Bell...

At this point, there haven't been any BYU fans dissing the Utes on this post. None. So why are you trying to bring BYU into this discussion in a negative way and get the negative banter going again? For once, can't you just let such things go and concentrate on what this article is all about... the Utes and their upcoming season?

It's pathetic in a sad sort of way that Stinger Bell (known for his anti-BYU bias) is trying to speak for Y fans regarding how they feel. I'm a typical BYU fan. My friends and I haven't been distressed at all over big-time adjustments. BYU has been independent for several years and there are currently no changes going on. We play several nationally known programs each season and usually win a few, as well as lose a few.
    It's ironic that people like Stinger Bell seem to be more distressed at trying to determine how BYU fans feel than those fans themselves are.

Again, let it go and let this article be as it was intended... all about Utah and no other local teams.

• DuckOuttaWater SLC , UT
    July 23, 2014 11:46 a.m.

My Perspective: thank you for the kind words. I look forward to watching my Ducks invade SLC also, though I'm a little nervous that if we win the PAC12 we will surely lose in Salt Lake (see Stanford). Lol

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 23, 2014 11:49 a.m.

DuckOuttaWater,

Thanks for the encouragement. Don't overlook us on 11/08/14. See: Stanford @ RES last year.

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    July 23, 2014 12:00 p.m.

Johnny Triumph and Objectified

I never claimed you were a BYU fan nor did I state anything "anti-BYU".

In addition, I generally call out someone when they make unwarranted, ridiculous, or non fact-based claims.

Again, two undefeated seasons, two BCS Bowl invites, and two BCS wins in the last ten years. Obviously that trumps accomplishments of over thirty years ago that happened before any of the current players were born. That is earning your way into the elite group. With WVU, TCU and Utah it seems what they have done recently (as in the last ten years or so) carried the most weight towards their inclusion.

With their easy schedule BYU hasn't come close to an undefeated season, let alone a BCS Bowl invite. Instead they get beat by lowly Virginia. No religious bias, no Sunday play issue just what they have done, or not done, on the field. Just because someone responds with a fact you don't like doesn't make them anti anything.

• Cletus from Coalville Coalville, UT
    July 23, 2014 12:02 p.m.

It don't matter because we are real good and our record gets real good every year.

Go Utes!

• truthsandwich The Bubble, UT
    July 23, 2014 12:07 p.m.

This is were we deserve to be projected right now. UCLA will be legit.

If Travis Wilson is healthy and playing up to his potential we have a legitimate shot with Arizona, surprising AZ State, and even USC is a bit of a question mark.

Anything can happen, and that's what makes every game in the Pac12 exciting.

Can't wait for football season!

• sid 6.7 Holladay, UT
    July 23, 2014 12:38 p.m.

I blew the loudest horn and held the highest banner in support for the Ute's to go to the PAC 12. I truly thought they could compete but as history has shown that is not the case. Unfortunately, I only see three wins this year. The hire of coach Whit's new OC was ill advised at best and should they not have a successful season be a major reason why Coach may not be or perhaps should not be back next year.

Hind site is 20/20 but what could have been was a MWC that included the likes of Utah, TCU, BYU, Boise State and Utah State. To me that sounds like one heck of a good competitive conference for our Utah Teams. No it's not a BCS conference but I can guarantee there would be one or two "Busters" in that mix year in and year out.

Ahhh well life goes on.

Go Ute's!

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 23, 2014 12:45 p.m.

@ Objectified

My post wasn't about BYU, at all. It was about Utah choosing to take the tougher path instead of staying in the MWC.

• Samwise Salt Lake City, UT
    July 23, 2014 12:56 p.m.

I am a BYU fan and thus will not pay too much attention to the Utes this year (I will check on the scores and possibly watch a few games, the same way I do for most other Division I teams) but I personally wouldn't mind if the Utes prove the polls wrong this year. The poll results are not surprising, but preseason polls really don't mean much, if anything. What matters is what actually happens during each game of the season. Good luck to you guys.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    July 23, 2014 12:58 p.m.

@Stringer - I'd hardly agree that the U's record over the past 10 years is enough to earn their way into much of anything; rollercoasters are up and down but are never consistent.

2003 10-2
    2004 12-0
    2005 7-5
    2006 8-5
    2007 9-4
    2008 13-0
    2009 10-3
    2010 10-3
    2011 8-5
    2012 5-7
    2013 5-7

Looking at the years before that the only notable years were a 9 win season in 1999, a 10 win season in 1994, and a 9 win season in 1964. All other seasons have been fewer than 9 wins in that time. I hardly say that 8 seasons of 9 or more wins in the past 50 years is earning its way into anything. Utah got lucky with the PAC10 invite, the PAC had to expand and their first choices spurned them. That left Utah and Colorado. Again, hardly an earned thing.

Just for kicks I looked up BYU's record. Since 1976 BYU has had 22 9+ win seasons. And most of those seasons were playing the same competition or same caliber opponent as the U.

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    July 23, 2014 12:59 p.m.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am a football fan first, a BYU fan second. This means I go to games (and used to have BYU season tickets) in order to see good football! Good teams playing good, competitive football is hard to beat!

Meanwhile, Utah brings some great football to their fans, even if the Utes don't have as good a record at the end of the season as does BYU - still, the fans get to see great football, played by great teams, vying for meaningful standings in the Conference and the National College football scene.

BYU? Not so much.

• Mikeylikesit Davis, UT
    July 23, 2014 1:03 p.m.

Really they're not fazed, why I thought they would just quit right now and not even suit up this year after this.

Right on Objectified, concentrate on U and you'll have less stress in your life anti's

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    July 23, 2014 1:03 p.m.

The Utes will surprise to the upside. They're being rated too low. USA Today's listing has them at 66, one behind University of North Texas at 65. It's not that I think that's legitimate, but it does indicate how out of favor with the press they've fallen in the last couple of years. Wilson healthy, I think they find a way to win 7.

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    July 23, 2014 1:07 p.m.

Stringer - keep the spin cycle going strong. That "10 years or so" will soon be 11, then 12, then 'or so', and so on. What has the MUFT (Mighty utah Football Team) done since 2008 (besides beat BYU every year-which, given their u fan declared 'WAC status' is really no accomplishment, right)? This year will be 7 bowl seasons since Alabama begrudgingly went to the consolation prize bowl they had no interest in playing in.

P.S. when the Sugar Bowl trophy is 30 years old it will still be overshadowed by the only NC football trophy in the state - and it will be 60 years old then.

• Brad J West Jordan, UT
    July 23, 2014 1:11 p.m.

I will cheer for anybody who plays the utes. 2-9 Maybe

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    July 23, 2014 1:12 p.m.

“We don’t pay much attention to it,” Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said at Pac-12 Football Media Days at Paramount Studios. “Really, it’s a product of what happened last season, for the most part, and every year is a new opportunity.”

Don't believe him. True last season provides some built-in bias in these beauty contests, but for every improvement the Utes will claim there are countervailing improvements in all of the 1-4 programs in the South.

I'll concede that the Utes may make it to a bowl this year, but they also may not--I'm not impressed by the new opportunities.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    July 23, 2014 1:13 p.m.

sid 6.7,

Really?! I can't imagine why any Utah fan would long for the MWC. Pac 12 membership provides so many more opportunities and the teams coming to town every year now are far superior to anything the MWC could provide. The Utes will get back on track and I think the current coaching staff can do it. Go Utes!!

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    July 23, 2014 1:21 p.m.

Where is Chris B. that he is the Mighty Know Everything? Whatever!

Good luck to Utah for 2014.

• JSwaggDaddy Heber City, UT
    July 23, 2014 1:30 p.m.

Of course utah says they aren't fazed by being picked 5th. Of course they say that they are playing for 1st.

What do you expect them to say? "5th sounds pretty accurate. We don't expect to come anywhere near winning the division. We are just playing to hold on to 5th and maybe break through to number 4."

Obviously they aren't going to say something like that.

This has nothing to do with not being fazed of the predictions. This has to do with the fact that everybody says this on media day.

I'm not saying utah is fazed, I'm just saying that the comments of Whittingham and Anderson and Orchard don't do anything to prove that utah won't be fifth this year.

• eagle Provo, UT
    July 23, 2014 1:40 p.m.

The prediction is sound...

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 23, 2014 1:44 p.m.

Very classy comments from BYU fans. Thanks!

One thought about Utah's fans reaction to our 3 year PAC-12 record. This years (our 4th in the conference) ticket sales: For the fourth-straight year, there was a 98-percent renewal rate for Utah football season tickets. Returning season ticket holders also made 1,200 requests for upgrades or additional seats and 100 season tickets were sold to fans on the wait list. With more than 32,000 seats claimed in renewals, season tickets will not go on sale to the general public at this time, but are available with a new donation to the Crimson Club Athletic Fund. Contact your account rep for more information. Single-game tickets will go on sale to the general public on August 4 for all home games that have available seats. Every game in Rice-Eccles Stadium for the last four seasons has sold out and the average attendance for each the past six seasons has exceeded the 45,017 seating capacity.
    The one I want most to read and understand this is Dr. Hill!

• Outside-View Federal Way, WA
    July 23, 2014 1:49 p.m.

Media predictions are worse than recruiting publications. It is understandable why Utah would not be "picked" to finish high in their division or in the conference so why worry about it. Coach Whittingham has a great approach to rankings and media predictions. Take it one game at a time and let your play on the field do your talking. Like they say, you cant win November games in September.

The biggest improvement will be from WA Huskies. I dont necessarily like the team but I have high regard for their new coach. They came out on top with the change of coaches last year.

Lastly, I pick Arizona and Michigan as upset teams for Utah this year.

• DuckOuttaWater SLC , UT
    July 23, 2014 1:54 p.m.

Ekute: I think you got the Ducks attention in the first half last year. There are no easy games in the PAC12, you can't overlook anyone I think that's what we're all learning (well except maybe Cal & Colo, those are just bad programs right now).

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    July 23, 2014 1:57 p.m.

"The one I want most to read and understand this is Dr. Hill!"

Because I'm sure he didn't know that already. I don't care who you are. That's just funny.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 23, 2014 1:58 p.m.

Utah has a lot to prove, so being picked 10th sounds about right.

Not worried about the defense. We were 4-2 last year including a win over PAC-12 Champion #10 Stanford before Wilson injured his hand, 1-5 afterwards. So it all depends on the new OC and keeping a healthy QB.

IMO Oregon will be the PAC-12 champ and make it to the title game. Looking forward to the playoffs:

#1 Oregon vs #4 Ohio State
    #2 Alabama vs # Oklahoma

FSU with a weak SOS will be outside looking in.

Go UTES!

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    July 23, 2014 1:58 p.m.

Sorry folks, Utah is going to have to do much better this season to be seriously considered as a contender going forward. To the rest of the PAC, sub 500 seasons does not get much respect.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    July 23, 2014 1:59 p.m.

When you play big boy football, nothing is given to you. I didn't expect anything different. 4th toughest schedule in America and we haven't shown we can beat anyone consistently except BYU. To be considered a great program, we have to beat the tough teams half the time. The PAC 12 is tough and there is never a week off. The fans want a championship but will settle this year for a bowl. Kyle is on the hot seat. I'm excited to see this new offense. Even if it is 75% of what Dave did in Missouri, the offense will score 30 points a game and it will be up to our defense to stop someone. 6-6 is my projection.

With 98% renewal and a long waiting list, every game will be sold out again for the 5th year in a row. We are living on hope but the fans are still showing up. All the new people moving to Utah are adopting the Utes as their team. Us lonely Utah fans are showing up big time. Can't wait for the new expansion in a few years.

July 23, 2014 2:01 p.m.

FT
    salt lake city, UT

If the procrastinators are correct ...

---------

The prognosticators, you mean?

• FYI Taylorsville, UT
    July 23, 2014 2:10 p.m.

@Schwa
    "but nobody picked them to win the Northern Division? How does that work?"

Actually if you look at the breakdown of votes for each team, you will see that 2 voters picked Stanford to win the North.

July 23, 2014 2:18 p.m.

Johnny Triumph
    American Fork, UT

-------

While I will agree that Utah is not a very good team right now, I disagree with the premise of your statement.

No, no coach should put any stock in any of the media voting or predictions. The media vote is merely an expectation based on last year's results and some personnel assessment of this year's team -- which is to say, it's based on nothing relevant.

In 2012 USC (preseason AP #1) was picked to WIN the P12. They finished 5th at 7-6.

In 2012 Oregon State (preseason unranked) was picked to finish 11th in the conference ahead of only Colorado. They finished 3rd behind only Oregon and Stanford at (#20) 9-4.

In 2012, Utah was picked to finish #2 in the South, getting one first-place vote, and 4th in the conference behind USC, Oregon and Stanford. Utah finished 9th at 5-7.

So please, let's not go off acting like this media vote really means something.

July 23, 2014 2:23 p.m.

Flyer
    St. George, UT

Not surprising. The Utes should have stayed in the MWC where they were somewhat of a national novelty.

--------

Nope. That's the mentality of BYU fans who remain locked outside of relevant football... or one particular Y fan who consistently posts here how grateful he is NOT to be in a P5, for fear of being pummeled every week. That's embarrassing.

I couldn't care less how many last place votes Utah may get, I would still rather be in the Pac 12 than in the amateur night MWC. Utah has already dominated that scene and achieved its highest level. The only way to go is up to the next level, even if it means failing there.

• DuckOuttaWater SLC , UT
    July 23, 2014 2:23 p.m.

Outside View: "As for the Pac 12 Champion, it better be Stanford again. Oregon, with all due respect to the Duck guy, is just too corporate. I hate that. "

Duly noted. But with all due respect, CFB is becoming "corporate" and either you keep up or die off. Like it or not that's the way it is. Phil Knight is the reason it looks corporate at Oregon. Would you mind if he were a Utah graduate and poured Nike money into the Utes?

July 23, 2014 2:25 p.m.

79Ute
    Orange County, CA

I agree with your schedule assessment. It's gonna be tough to find six wins. We just need to hope Utah takes a few of the close games that they lost last year and they could make it.

That, and of course, not losing any of the ones we should win.

July 23, 2014 2:27 p.m.

Two For Flinching
    Salt Lake City, UT
    @ Flyer

---------

Cougar fans don't understand that because they've never accomplished what Utah has in that conference. BYU rejoining the MWC would still have new territory to achieve there. Utah would not.

July 23, 2014 2:29 p.m.

1978
    Salt Lake City, UT

There is no way that Utah does not make it to a bowl game this year.

----------

Thanks for your remarks. I wish I could believe you, though.

I think Utah has a small shot at six wins. But I'm not nearly as confident as you are.

Good luck to your team!

July 23, 2014 2:35 p.m.

Johnny Triumph
    American Fork, UT

The only thing I can surmise about BYU fans like you is that you just don't understand. Probably because BYU never topped out in the MWC. Doing that twice four seasons apart is an accomplishment, no matter how hard you try to dismiss it.

You don't understand the concept of aspiring to do something better, being something better. Because that's all Utah fans are saying on this issue. We would rather TRY and achieve success on the game's highest level... than be stuck in a nobody conference where 9, 10 and 11 wins mean hardly anything. We cracked the BCS twice and won both times. Where did it get us?

Yes, those were fun seasons. But after you go down the big waterslide a couple times, it starts to lose its luster. And you want to tackle a bigger waterslide.

Only thing I can guess is that BYU fans don't understand that apparently because they haven't gone down the waterslide even once yet.

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    July 23, 2014 2:39 p.m.

2011 8-5
    2012 5-7
    2013 5-7

Considering Utah's atrocious luck with QB health, a mere one game each of these years changes a lot. In 2011 it'd mean going to the PAC-12 championship game their first season (albeit due to USCs sanctions), in 2012 and 2013 it'd mean going to a bowl game.

July 23, 2014 2:42 p.m.

sid 6.7
    Holladay, UT

--------

It's interesting how the perspective of the Utah and BYU fan bases differs.

Sid, it's understandable why this conference is appealing to you. But you need to understand that it does not appeal to Utah fans -- because no matter how good that lineup may be, it's not better than the Pac 12 we have now. TCU, Boise, Utah State and BYU are NOT as appealing as Oregon, Stanford, UCLA and USC. It's just not and never will.

If BYU was in the Pac 12, you would also scoff at the idea of "what could have been" in the MWC... because it pales terribly from what you already have in the Pac.

No Utah fan is remotely interested in any MWC, no matter who's in it.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    July 23, 2014 2:43 p.m.

@PAC12Fan - time to get a new stadium, 45k seats is not up to snuff. I hope the U can generate enough funds to build a new stadium, not expand the current one, and seat 60k+ fans. The U has done well filling 45k for a mostly commuter school but it's time to ramp the effort and expand the fan base. Keep increasing the # of season ticket holders and then fill up the joint with either a student pass ticket or increased single game tickets.

July 23, 2014 2:45 p.m.

2009 10-3
    2010 10-3
    2011 8-5
    2012 5-7
    2013 5-7

-------

LOL! That stretch between 2003 and 2012 is the very definition of consistent... save for the anomaly of 2007.

Your attempt at minimizing Utah's success over the last decade is ludicrous. Meanwhile, your team hasn't even come close to matching what Utah has done.

Not. Even. Close.

So, you minimize Utah... you REALLY minimize BYU.

Enjoy that.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    July 23, 2014 2:47 p.m.

Wow.

10th place among 12 teams.

Still happy about being in the PAC-12?....

July 23, 2014 2:47 p.m.

Old But Not Stupid
    Moorpark, CA

I'll concede that the Utes may make it to a bowl this year, but they also may not.

--------

You should be a professional prognosticator.

LOL

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    July 23, 2014 2:53 p.m.

@Tomahawk - Of course Whitt isn't going to say publicly that he agrees with the media assessment, no coach would. But I sure hope he's looking at that ranking and trying to figure out how to right the ship, otherwise his job will end. And we're all hoping that the U can prove this wrong, that they'll outperform.

@Tomahawk - my comment was in response to someone else saying the U had earned the right to play in the PAC, but clearly the history just hasn't been there. Major power programs have decades of success to fall back on, not a handful of years of success in the past decades. And you're yet another poster who assumes I'm a BYU fan. Just because I'm critical of the U doesn't make me a BYU fan. I'm out for good football and the U just hasn't been there. BYU has had success but they've got work to do as well.

July 23, 2014 3:02 p.m.

Johnny Triumph
    American Fork, UT

--------

You've got to be joking. Right?

Do you seriously think Whittingham isn't already fully aware that he needs to right the ship this season? You think he just barely looked at the media vote today and thought, "whoa, I may need to turn this around."

Come on!

I can't seriously believe that there's any possibility you're that ignorant.

Whittingham is well aware of discontent among Ute fans and administrators about the team's losing over the last two years. It doesn't take a 10th place media vote to wake him up to that fact.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    July 23, 2014 3:02 p.m.

@Tomahawk - I don't know what you mean by anomaly of 2007. I see 5 sub 9-win seasons in that list. And only 22 8+ win seasons in the history of the program. Leaving BYU out of it I see 54 8+ win seasons in USC's history and 8 of the past 10 seasons (9 if you count the vacated season). So if we're talking consistency then let's be realistic and not talk halfway there. The U has had some good years but they need more than 5-7 seasons to show they're any good and that they're consistent.

• truthsandwich The Bubble, UT
    July 23, 2014 3:04 p.m.

Y ask Y

"I didn't ever like the blowout games where one team was playing badly. It doesn't bother me when BYU loses, so long as it is against a worthy opponent and good football is being played. And I don't enjoy BYU wins against weak, poor teams.

That's why I envy Utah. Independence for BYU has us still winning most games, but against whom? That's not good football, and I am not a fan of poor football, even if "my team" is winning, hollow victories and meaningless seasons."

Great comment. Most Y fans I know feel the same, though its strange to see such a rational comment on these boards.

Here's one Ute fan that hopes BYU gets invited to the Big 12 at some point. It would be great for football in the state, and great for Y fans to see some exciting an meaningful football every week. Best of luck this season! In that one challenging game you have ;)

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    July 23, 2014 3:16 p.m.

@ BleedCougarBlue

• Serenity Now Highland, UT
    July 23, 2014 3:31 p.m.

A Cougar fan here predicting the Utes finish higher--2nd or 3rd in the division, if Wilson is healthy all year.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    July 23, 2014 3:40 p.m.

Utah getting into the PAC12 is a major coup, even if it takes a few years to get your feet under you. I said from year 1 that Utah will contend for the conference championship within 3 years. That didn't happen. But my belief was based on the fact that for a number of years prior to the invitation MWC teams were mostly beating PAC10 teams head to head (except for USC who dominated). Therefore I thought Utah would have winning seasons in that conference. I think there has been a surge in PAC12 quality since then, so Utah has had a tougher time of it.

As a BYU fan I am man enough to admit I am envious of Utah's admission into the PAC, and I think with 2 BCS bowl wins they deserved it. I don't know why any Ute fan (or BYU fan) would consider going back to the MWC. Even though they had some quality teams, the commissioner and his management was a joke!

I have a lot of respect for Coach W and his team. The Ute fans who feel the need to denigrate BYU on every BYU article?--not so much.

• Blue AZ Cougar Chandler, AZ
    July 23, 2014 3:42 p.m.

@MyPerspective
    "This is the year the Utes surprise a few teams and make some noise in the Pac-12."

That noise you hear is the Utes' hopes and dreams of a post-season bowl game fizzling out after about game 5 or 6.

• David Centerville, UT
    July 23, 2014 3:50 p.m.

Granted, I am a BYU fan, but Whittingham has been a great coach. It is only a matter of time before the Utes have a breakout season and begin to trend better. Hopefully this year. I always want Utah to do well, unless they are competing against BYU. We all know that the Utes have been doing poorly in the PAC 12, but play well against BYU. That too will change.

• Justmythoughts Provo, UT
    July 23, 2014 3:50 p.m.

My two favorite teams are BYU and whoever Utah is playing.

• 71-39 Alpine, UT
    July 23, 2014 4:04 p.m.

@ Tomahawk Red:

Your invidious comments toward BYU and it's fans is the exact type of thing that earlier comments by BYU fans were hoping to avoid. Sadly, some people apparently can't help being contentious.

Most people would agree that it's better to be a big fish in a smaller pond than being a tiny fish in a big lake. The big fish warrants respect while the small fish usually ends up getting eaten.
    There's no question Utah generated more overall respect when they did well year after year in the MWC. Now they are often laughed at as they contend year after year for conference cellar honors. Plus, their fans are getting in the habit of sitting home during the holidays watching other college teams play their bowl games. That must be getting really old.

Brag all you want about Ute membership in the PAC12. But very few people are buying into it. Obviously, the media also agrees that Utah seems to be in over their heads. So far, they've done nothing to prove otherwise.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    July 23, 2014 4:06 p.m.

BleedCougarBlue,

LOL. You said,

"Still happy about being in the PAC-12?....

I mean, don't tell the Utes about this article. Their fans still think they're one of the "elite" teams in America."

Hilarious, especially given the fact that the Utes just reported another year of 98% renewals in season tickets. I think that answers your question.

• kevo Saratoga Springs, UT
    July 23, 2014 4:08 p.m.

Here's one somewhat Cougar fan (I follow BYU more than Utah but have no real connection to either school), who will be hoping for n awesome season from Utah. It's time to see them win like they have. Go Utes!

• GoUTES Salt Lake City, UT
    July 23, 2014 4:11 p.m.

Who cares if the mighty Utes come in 5th or 6th or dead last in the PAC12, we are still the PAC12. My favorite team is the PAC12, so I root for all of them. My team always wins the conference! My favorite NFL team is the AFC East and in baseball I love my American League West, they are doing great this year. I hope they win the World Series. (As, Angels, M's.... it doesn't matter my team is the AL West.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    July 23, 2014 4:19 p.m.

Kyle better get at least 7 wins this season or my guess he will be out. Lots of pressure.

• bigv56 Cottonwood, CA
    July 23, 2014 4:33 p.m.

The utes have history going for them.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    July 23, 2014 4:37 p.m.

I believe the term for the coaches, players and fans is...denial!

• sid 6.7 Holladay, UT
    July 23, 2014 4:39 p.m.

@ Tomahawk:

I am a Utah fan. Been a season ticket holder for 22 years.

I hope your right I really do but I just don't see the 5 win season. Like some else pointed out there are 3 wins that are "maybe's" and big "maybe's" at that. OSU, Arizona and USC are wins in your estimation? And on top of that I don't think Fresno State is going to roll over either. Again,I hope your right. Please Ute's I beg you, please please prove me wrong.

And no I don't want to go back to the MWC. All I was trying to point out is that if BYU and Utah along with TCU, Bosie State and the emerging USU had of stayed it would have been a good conference. I fully understand the benefits of PAC 12 membership. With that said it does Utah no good to turn in to the OSU of the PAC 12 either.

I choose not to be too optimistic this year, for those of you who are I praise you but I think we are in for a rough season.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    July 23, 2014 4:42 p.m.

BleedCougarBlue "10th place among 12 teams. Still happy about being in the PAC-12?"
    Yes, thank you.

Your sentiment makes a strong case for why Cougar fans really don't want to join the Big 12. They love winning easy more than rising to a challenge.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    July 23, 2014 4:57 p.m.

When is the Great Rocky Mountain Pillow Fight between Utah and Colorado?

• WhyAmIhere? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 23, 2014 5:04 p.m.

Well on the bright side.. we were picked to finish ahead of Colorado and California.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 23, 2014 5:17 p.m.

Johnny Triumph
    American Fork, UT

------------

CBS Sports disagrees with your analysis, they ranked Utah #10 (BYU #27) over the last decade.

Source: Decade rankings 1-10: USC is the one and only (CBSSports.com)

• worf Mcallen, TX
    July 23, 2014 5:39 p.m.

Utes didn't do well in the WAC, or MWC. So, what's the surprise here?

Utah, and Colorado were brought in to help other teams become bowl eligible by padding them with wins. How many PAC teams went bowling last year?

At least they're being paid well for taking the beating.

• Irrelevant Provo, UT
    July 23, 2014 6:10 p.m.

@SpokaneUte

"Very happy about being in the PAC 12. Still happy being the Nomad of college football? That auto-bid vs. the American Conference Champ in the Beach Blanket Bingo Bowl has to Rock."

Beach Blanket Bingo Bowl > no bowl

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    July 23, 2014 6:17 p.m.

I agree that often, media predictions don't mean much, but this year it really doesn't seem that far off. If their QB stays healthy and they don't have the offense's wheels fall off with a new OC, the Utes likely finish 3-9.

Fight on, Trojans!

• 1978 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 23, 2014 7:13 p.m.

@Tomahawk Red

Thanks for your response. My reasoning is as follows:

Wins(5): Idaho St., Fresno St., Washington St., Arizona & Colorado.

Losses(3): Stanford, UCLA and Oregon

Toss-Ups(4): USC (at home), Michigan (often tanks at home against non-conference opponents), OSU (Wilson lit them up for 48 pts last year) and ASU (kind of a rebuilding year).

All Whitt has to do is win one of the toss up games and you are in a bowl game. I think that is a pretty safe bet. Enjoy the season!

• slcftball Salt Lake City, UT
    July 23, 2014 7:39 p.m.

Hahahahah

11th out of 12 teams yet Ute fans pound thier chest and claim Kingship over the little brother to the South.

Plz. This is a reality check that Utah has a loooooong ways to go- may never make the Rose Bowl. Haha. And no BYU isn't any better playing the Patsy's they play.

In reality it is a down time for the a State. Maybe USU can win the MWC.

• slcftball Salt Lake City, UT
    July 23, 2014 7:42 p.m.

Hey 1978 can we meet at the water cooler and wager a $1000?

USC a toss up? That's laughable.

Utah also had no chance at OSU. And ASU at ASU will handle Utah. It's another 5 win season-sorry.

• utahgrad Holladay, UT
    July 23, 2014 8:26 p.m.

Until they start recruiting talent outside of the normal areas, I'm afraid this will be the only result year in and year out. Ya all know what I'm writing here.

• positivethinker Magna, UT
    July 23, 2014 8:31 p.m.

To all the Posters who think Utah is Losing it's Fanbase......Dream on.....Even with Back to Back 5 win seasons the Season Ticket renewal Rate is 98% this year. With a Home Schedule that includes USC, Oregon, Arizona, Washington State and Fresno State....All Teams that went to Bowls Last Year...The Utes Have a Home Schedule that Beats BYU or Utah States for that matter....and considering that 10 of Utah's 12 Games are against Bowl teams from last year...every game they play is a bowl game and I like the stiff competition.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    July 23, 2014 9:57 p.m.

Soonerute

"They love winning easy more than rising to a challenge."

4-5, 3-6, 2-7

That is not rising to a PAC12 challenge. It's historical fact that the Utes are over their heads.

It's also a testimonial of... "We told you so."

Going bowl-less 2x and now this 5th place in the south prediction... predictable.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    July 23, 2014 10:50 p.m.

Why do ute fans blame BYU for their PAC 12 schedule?

Sorry folks, but Texas, UCF, Boise State, Utah State, and Houston are not cupcake teams, and I doubt the utes would beat any of them. I doubt the utes would beat Virginia, and Uconn either.

Happy holidays!

• GJ Greenwood, IN
    July 24, 2014 7:05 a.m.

FT, The procrastinators have not yet released their 2014 poll results, and will not until after the season. Though late, they usually make the most accurate predictions.

• ItrustNo1 La Grange, TN
    July 24, 2014 7:11 a.m.

I'm a BYU guy but support all products that come out of Utah. Utah has a great organization and have been in almost every game they have played in the PAC 12. I hope the Ute fans see that and continue to support their coaches and players....they deserve it. We all need to get behind them cause their carrying the water right now for all of the schools in Utah. Their success with open eyes for all of us in Utah.

• Cletus from Coalville Coalville, UT
    July 24, 2014 8:11 a.m.

We are way good than people think so we will win our teams and go to the Rose Bowl.

Go write it down!

• TroyTown Anaheim, CA
    July 24, 2014 9:28 a.m.

re: Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media vote pegging Utes 5th in Pac-12 South division.

Why should the Utes be fazed?

Haven't the Utes finished 5th in the PAC South the last two years?

Shockingly, the rest of the conference isn't buying that an Oklahoma transfer QB who only completed 4 of 13 passes last season is going to turn the Utah program around.

• amagnetick AV, CA
    July 24, 2014 9:40 a.m.

I am also a BYU fan, but wish nothing but the best for Utah and their fans. The only time I cheer against the Utes is when they are playing either BYU or USU. Good luck to Utah this season, I hope the predictions are incorrect and they do well in the South division of the PAC 12 and can play for the Championship of the PAC 12. Go Utes, Go BYU and Go USU!

• Socal Coug San Diego, CA
    July 24, 2014 11:45 a.m.

As most BYU fans, I'm a little conflicted when it comes to the Utes. There is a fierce rivalry and I live and die by the results. Yet I think it's good for the state when the Utes do well. That being said, the Utes are excited to be playing with the big boys but really have yet to show they belong. So yeah, the experts are probably calling it right.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    July 24, 2014 11:49 a.m.

Sounds one notch to high but we will give them the benefit of the doubt. I think they are looking at a 4-8 season and will sit home again this for the bowl season.

• But seriously folks! Salt Lake City, UT
    July 24, 2014 11:53 a.m.

Truth is correct. Anything can happen on the field. Utah beat BYU a few years in a row so anything surely possible. It's too bad the utes are not playing BYU this year as that was their bowl game.

• Utah rules Salt Lake City, UT
    July 24, 2014 11:56 a.m.

The Utes will struggle with their new offense just like BYU did the first year they had a new OC.

• Ute buster Salt Lake City, UT
    July 24, 2014 12:03 p.m.

It is obvious that the conference is not going to give the utes much love. The utes fans should get used to it and many of the lower tier PAC schools will be surpassing the utes in the major sports. Even the WSU Cougars surpassed the utes in recognition and that is sating a lot for the state of athletics on the hill.

• FanOfTheSith Vernal, UT
    July 24, 2014 12:08 p.m.

Just remember Utes, "you are with the big boys now.".............=)

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    July 24, 2014 12:32 p.m.

Whit is also unfazed by three consecutive losing seasons.

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    July 24, 2014 1:45 p.m.

Hey at least U were predicted to finish ahead of your hated rival, Colorado.

Somehow I doubt that Colorado will ever be embraced or hated as a rival by the Ute faithful whilst the TUN still exists.

• John Locke Ivins, , UT
    July 24, 2014 2:39 p.m.

I enjoyed attending two of the Ute games last year; ucla and stanford. We should have beaten ucla and we beat stanford. The Utes have been without a full season QB for three years, and hopefully Wilson can stay healthy. If he does, they will win 10 games. They beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl and went undefeated and did not win the NC. Alabama went on the next year, with a No. 1 class and went undefeated and won the NC. They are not a 10 out of 12 team in the PAC12.

• Thidder MAPLETON, UT
    July 24, 2014 3:01 p.m.

It is time to stop all this speculation about the 2014 season. It is time to start speculating on how good the 2015 season will be with a new coach and new objectives. Continually hashing over the upcoming season is disruptive to long term thinking. We should always be thinking 2-3 years in advance.

• Go Utes! Go Yale! Salt Lake City, UT
    July 24, 2014 3:18 p.m.

@ worf:

"Sorry folks, but...I doubt the utes would beat Virginia, and Uconn either."

Classic Worf, in complete and utter denial with a mouth full of sour grapes. Of course Utah would spank cupcakes such as Virginia, UConn, and Boise State (new coach, won't do anything this year). Throw in a few more cupcakes like Houston and UCF (no more Bortles). Texas also breaking in a brand new coach. What happens after your cougs lose to those teams, Worf?

Say the schedules were flipped. Only in Happy Valley would "fans" believe surviving past Idaho State was realistic. Try turning the smack talk volume down, against a team your cougs cannot beat, and can't even try to beat again until 2016. The drubbing will not be pretty for a 5th straight coug loss to Ute Nation! Prepare yourself now.

I doubt BYU will beat Utah again in the next 5 years. That's how far ahead the Utes are, compared to tradition, spirit, honor, a "legacy" program on the outside looking in (see Big 12 and P5 Conference talks, and note how BYU isn't in the picture). Ouch.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 24, 2014 4:01 p.m.

@ amagnetick

Classy post. Good luck to the Cougars as well.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    July 24, 2014 5:25 p.m.

They may not be playing BYU this year, but they'll still get the opportunity to lose at home to two BYU alums when they play Wazzou and the Trojans. Two bowl games, and at home! What more could Ute fans want!

Fight On!

• Jimmytheliberal Salt Lake City, UT
    July 24, 2014 6:14 p.m.

@Worf...May I say your comments truly make my day Sir. Regardless of how much they lack facts and intellect it is still entertainment at its absolute finest. Many thanks and keep up the lack of any collegiate football knowledge whatsoever.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 24, 2014 6:17 p.m.

TCU is picked to finish #7. The two alpha dogs of the MWC have struggled in the big leagues.

Only BYU would thrive, just see Phil Steele's 2014 preseason rankings which would put BYU in the middle of the pack in every P5 league.

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    July 25, 2014 12:14 p.m.

I too stand behind the other Cougar faithful and hope that Utah has a good season. I am really hoping that they can beat Colorado!

July 25, 2014 2:11 p.m.

71-39
    Alpine, UT

"Most people would agree that it's better to be a big fish in a smaller pond than being a tiny fish in a big lake."

BYU fans would agree with that. Utah fans wouldn't.

"Brag all you want about Ute membership in the PAC12..."

Thanks, we will. We'll also brag about four in a row, 9 of 12 and 54-10.

"...But very few people are buying into it."

Very few people are buying into the idea that it's great to be in a P5 conference, with tens of millions of dollars in added revenue and great home schedules?

Then why is your head coach publicly begging for that in the media?

• worf Mcallen, TX
    July 25, 2014 6:33 p.m.

@Jimmytheliberal,

Intelligent fact---utes do not qualify for bowl games. That's the bottom line.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    July 26, 2014 11:16 a.m.

How can you be unfazed when predicted to finish 9th of 12 teams? The media is saying they have no respect for you and think your program is nothing when they place it in company like Colorado and Washington State. I am no fan of Utah, but Whittingham is not going to get it done in the PAC. He has to care his team can't win in the PAC and he can't hold on to his coaches. Now the media doesn't think his team will amount to anything. The only team that isn't improving is Colorado. All the others are going up. If Utah doesn't go up this year, who knows, Colorado may even surpass them.

• Jimmytheliberal Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2014 4:05 p.m.

@Worf...Since 1999 The PAC 12 University of Utah Utes are 10-1 in their respective Bowl games. According to the universal laws of mathematics here on Planet Earth, rather Planet Worf in order to accumulate 10 bowl victories obviously ANY team would have to qualify and play in said bowl games. Please now explain in detail your delusional post referencing your statement that the "Utes don't qualify for bowl games. That's the bottom line". Second thought I realize my retort is directed towards @Worf and we all know logic and facts are simply make believe. In closing. Thank you for continuing your excellent work regarding any lack of collegiate football knowledge whatsoever.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 28, 2014 2:47 p.m.

" The Utes, in fact, wound up being more like understudies or extras in the annual sampling — finishing fifth in the South, ahead of Colorado but well behind UCLA, USC, Arizona State and Arizona.

“We don’t pay much attention to it,” Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said"

---------------------

Lol! It's official. Utah has now been demoted to minor league status, kind of like the D-League in the NBA or the World League of American Football in Europe.

As to Kyle's comment about not paying attention, sounds like that's what the rest of the Pac12 is doing to Utah. That was evident in the difficulty one had to find Utah playing on a major network like ESPN last season.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 28, 2014 4:19 p.m.

@Mormonute
    "I agree with Natester in believing the Utes are better than the media are predicting and I hope they are able to show it on the field. I believe the coaching issues have been resolved"

----------------

From their perspective I thought they were being pretty generous giving you 5th place. Looking at the trend Utah has gone 4-5, 3-6 and then 2-7 last season. Following that trend this season looks to be pretty bleak (1-8).

From a ute fan's perspective I can see why you hope for a better season. If the new players in your secondary perform even just adequately that will be a huge lift over last season when that group only gave you 2 interceptions total for the year. The next big if is Travis Wilson and if he can regain confidence and return to form he showed at the beginning of the season.

You have a very tough 7 game stretch starting with a road game in Michigan and ending with a revenge match vs Stanford in Palo Alto where you will likely be underdogs in every matchup. Going 0-7 is very likely.

Good luck