Utah State's quarterback situation rated 7th best in FBS by NFL.com; BYU 23rd, Utah 60th

Comments

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 15, 2014 3:49 p.m.

... and yet on the field, Utah owns BYU and Utah State.

Go figure.

• Feliz Kaysville, UT
    July 15, 2014 3:55 p.m.

These rankings are preposterous. Doesn't Mike Huguenin know that BYU is the best and Utah State is the worst.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 15, 2014 3:55 p.m.

54-10

When you look at stats, I'd have to agree with the rankings. But then again, big brother plays teams like USC and Stanford and Oregon and UCLA, and the mid majors are playing WAC defenses week after week after week.

Like you say, when they meet on the field, our QB's are more than capable of getting the W.

Theirs are not(see 7-1 record last 8 games against our WAC brothers)

Go UTES

• Alex T Murray, UT
    July 15, 2014 4:13 p.m.

Chris B

Not a lot of room to talk about Wins....considering U haven't really been racking them up the past few years.

Great, and extremely accurate article. Once the season begins, we will see how well Travis Wilson compares to Chuckie and Taysom.

Not even close.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    July 15, 2014 4:44 p.m.

@ Chris B

Blah blah blah. We get it. The PAC12 is bigger and better than the MWC. Big deal. Nobody who is not a Utah fan cares. But that fact is irrelevant anyway. Even you can't tell me that if Kyle Whittingham had an opportunity to magically trade Wilson and his 2nd string QB for Keeton and Garretson he wouldn't do it. You know he would in a heartbeat. After all, Keeton is 1-1 against Utah, and owns the overall point differential by 3. Even BYU would probably trade (although no BYU fan will probably ever admit it), since their second string QB hasn't played a down of D1 football and Hill doesn't really fit particularly well in BYU's offensive tradition. Keeton/Garretson would be a much better fit, partly because they can both throw the ball more than 10 yards downfield with accuracy.

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    July 15, 2014 4:46 p.m.

Something has gone terribly wrong...the best QBs, according to Stang0, are at SUU!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    July 15, 2014 4:54 p.m.

The comments so far are sorely trying my new commitment to civility in my comments.

So let me just say first, that I neither agree nor disagree with the authors opinions. I find them interesting, and I will admit that I find them pleasing to my ear, they are nothing more: the opinion of a person who is paid to have a reasoned opinion and share it.

I do respectfully disagree with the assertion that Taysom's opponents last year were WACish.

However, I can recognize that this year's level of defenses will be somewhat lower. I would expect Taysom's numbers, and performance, to be exponentially better. He DID improve as the season wore on, his line should be improved, he should have even more viable targets to pass to, and the whole team is one year more experienced with a new offensive scheme.

Personally, I'd be surprised if the QB production, as opposed to situation, for both BYU and USU, does not exceed the preseason expectations.

And I hope this is the year it all comes together for Utah and it's quarterbacks. Wilson, for one, has earned it.

• Jefe-Ute SLC, UT
    July 15, 2014 4:55 p.m.

I agree with the Utah State ranking. Having Chuckie back and having a backup QB that led the team to a 6-1 record is a great situation to be in. However, if you drop the Utes for injury, you have to drop BYU and Utah State because both QBs were injured as well. Also, TW is extremely more accurate than TH and can run as well. So, putting BYU ahead of the Utes by that much, considering that the Utes at least have a backup with college experience is confusing. It is also confusing all of the hype following BYU with their unproven players. Here's to hoping for a great season for all! Go Utes!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    July 15, 2014 5:11 p.m.

The rankings look accurate to me. Utah's QB position has been suspect for a while. I'n not sold on Wilson either. This Utah fan would take Chuckie Keaton in a minute; the guy can flat out play the game.

@Y Grad/Y Dad

I hope all is well my friend. Stay out of the heat; supposed to be 107 F in the tri-cities tomorrow.....Yikes!

• Black&Blue St George, Utah
    July 15, 2014 5:26 p.m.

Chukie is hands down the most complete QB in the state, and one of the best in the country. I have always been very impressed with his poise, scrambling ability and accuracy. I am excited to see what he can do this season, hopefully he can stay healthy and have a great season. I'd love to see USU take down Tennessee in the opener.

Taysom is not a bad QB, but his athletic ability alone is impressive. He has break-away speed, a decent arm, and is a very physical runner. If he can improve his passing, which off-season reports say he has (Top 8 in Manning Camp) Taysom could put up some stupid number in 2014.

Wilson has potential. He has been plagued by poor O-line play, dropped/tipped passes, and playing a grueling SOS. Plus he has had 3 different OC's in his time at the U, so it's hard to master a scheme and preform well in those conditions. Unfortunately I don't think he will make it through the season without another injury, so we won't ever really know his potential.

Just my opinion.

• Aggie5 Kuna, ID
    July 15, 2014 6:08 p.m.

There's only ONE reason the jets have a prayer again this year. Dennis Erickson. Without him they own another toilet bowl season.
    Go Aggies.

• shottaker MIDWAY, UT
    July 15, 2014 6:44 p.m.

Seems like an "objective opinion" is a bit of an oxymoron. Aren't all opinions subjective by definition?

Opinions and speculation are interesting, but that's all they are. This will be an important season for all 3 Utah D1 schools. Best of luck to all of them.

• 17-14 Hurts Don't It? Springville, UT
    July 15, 2014 8:05 p.m.

54-10

Seems like someone has taken a course in revisionist history.

Obviously it still hurts.

Utes at #60... that's funny.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    July 15, 2014 8:54 p.m.

I can't say that I could evaluate the QB situation at all 120+ teams but looking at the three in the statue of Utah I would rank Chuckie as my first choice, Hill second, and Wilson third going into the season. Hard to argue with the evaluation.

Now let's see if Wilson can stay healthy and make the case to change the pre-season rankings around.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    July 15, 2014 9:05 p.m.

It is a huge comfort having two proven qbs available for USU. Love having Keeton back for his senior year. Chuckie is an amazing player and a high quality individual.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 15, 2014 9:17 p.m.

Hill is the one QB in the article with real upside. He has a better arm than the others and absolutely superior speed. He has NFL caliber tools and will only get better. Also, because of our ESPN contract you and the rest of the nation will get to see him play somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-12 games each of the next 2 seasons and then on numerous ESPN Sportscenter highlights as well.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 15, 2014 9:23 p.m.

@Jefe-ute
    "Also, TW is extremely more accurate than TH and can run as well"

-------------------------

Wilson can run as well as Hill?!? That's like trying to say a Giraffe can run as well as a Cheetah. That's almost as absurd as the ute fans making pre-season Rose Bowl victory predictions every year.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 15, 2014 10:38 p.m.

@BigCougar

--------------

Come again? According to CBS Sports:

2015 Top NFL Draft Prospects: Quarterback (updated 7/13/2014):

#5 Chuckie Keeton

2016 Top NFL Draft Prospects: Quarterback (updated 7/13/2014):

#20 Tysom Hill
    #30 Adam Shultz

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    July 15, 2014 10:42 p.m.

@BigCougar

"Keeton is a nice QB but his upside isn't very high. He has a mediocre arm and above average speed. Wilson doesn't even have that and when he runs he looks like a giraffe."

Your bias is showing. Keeton's upside is plenty big. From his sophomore year to his junior year, his efficiency and passing ratings all went up. He only threw two picks, and if he didn't get injured in game 6 and played out the whole season, he could have/would have easily thrown 3,000+ yards and rushed for 700+ yards.

If he stays healthy and refines his game any more than he already has, he'll be tough for any team to stop.

As for Wilson, the kids has plenty of talent. He's fairly accurate and his rushing ability is adequate. If he didn't injure his hand against Stanford, I bet his confidence wouldn't have gotten so rattled over the next few games. Also, fewer picks.

Besides, he beat BYU without much issue.

• ciokenoo Logan, UT
    July 15, 2014 10:43 p.m.

So good to see Utah State ranked ahead of our bigger in-state brothers. So psyched for October 3rd match-up in Provo. Oh and come on Utes, don't buy out of our game anymore :(

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 15, 2014 10:51 p.m.

Chuckie will live up to his billing and then some.
    Travis should a lot of promise before he hurt his hand and again in spring practice.
    With that schedule and prearranged bowl, no matter what taysom does, it proves nothing.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    July 15, 2014 10:55 p.m.

I am not a BYU fan but I would put Taysom Hill #1 on this list even though potential is still somewhat the operative word to me with him. Nevertheless, with his talent and BYU's schedule, I am betting that Hill with get confidence and soar as the season goes along. I wouldn't be surprised if Keaton had a big year as well. I am optimistic about Utah's QB situation but who to start always makes me reluctant with Whittingham. I like Wilson but that ship has sailed with me. Sure IF he can stay healthy bla bla blah. Either way I can hope big.

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 15, 2014 10:58 p.m.

Correction: Travis showed a lot of promise...

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    July 15, 2014 11:26 p.m.

I never said that tinplater. SUU had the best QB in the state. Ammon is great but I never said he was "the best". Sambonethegreat, your bias is showing.

• WhoRtheUtes??? Elko, NV
    July 15, 2014 11:37 p.m.

I have to agree that this article is a good read and close to spot on. The ute's just are no longer relevant in most football discussions. Sports article after article this year all seem to point to another subpar year for the little brother on the hill.

And the best part is we can see the top two QB's go head to head this year.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 16, 2014 12:14 a.m.

Pretty hard to argue with. Hopefully next year Wilson/Thompson will top this list.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    July 16, 2014 12:27 a.m.

I love Hill's upside, I think that it is better than any QB in the state including Keeton... But if I was to make the choice for my team today I too would have to go with Keeton as the best in the state right now.

@chrisb

I find it humorous and entertaining that you so quickly assign BYU to WAC status... The last time that BYU was in the WAC the utes were also in that conference and as I recall BYU fared much better in the league than Utah did... In fact Utah State and Boise State have boxed the utes ears for the past few years (Keeton is 1-1 and shouldn't have lost the one he lost)... As for Boise State, I don'te have ever beaten them since they have been an FBS school...

Guaranteed, if Keeton and Hill played the ute's schedule they would both have better numbers than the ute's qbs.

• Jefe-Ute SLC, UT
    July 16, 2014 5:51 a.m.

@BigCougar

I didn't mean it in the sense that they are equally adept at running. I'm just saying look at the oregon state game. TW was a beast running the ball. He also had nice runs in other games last year. So to say that TH is 40 spots better than TW is just absurd. TH has done nothing to garner all the attention except to act like a RB. I watched plenty of BYU games and he looked awful. I'm not saying the Utes QB situation is better as of right now, I'm just saying BYU gets way more attention every year then they deserve.

• Marked it Down Park City, UT
    July 16, 2014 7:40 a.m.

Uteology

"According to CBS Sports:... blah, blah, blah"

It's funny how in your frantic attempt to minimize Taysom, you chose to completely ignore this little item:

"Mike Huguenin of NFL.com included the BYU signal caller [Taysom Hill] among 14 top candidates for this year's Heisman Trophy."

Top 14 candidate for Heisman in 2014, yet, supposedly only the #20 QB prospect in 2016?

Quite obviously, NFL.com doesn't agree with CBS Sports assessment, but, as usual, you always pick the worst case scenario/rating you can find for BYU, and then cite that as gospel.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    July 16, 2014 7:48 a.m.

Jefe-Ute

• KH Holladay, UT
    July 16, 2014 9:10 a.m.

"Taysom and Travis are less than 5% apart in career pass completion percentage, but Taysom's yards per carry are nearly double Travis's, and given Travis's medical history, I would think that the last thing Utah fans would want to see is Travis running the ball."

Taysom also plays teams like Virginia, Middle Tennessee St., Idaho St., Nevada, and Savannah St. Meanwhile, Travis is playing against UCLA, USC, Oregon, Stanford, Arizona St, etc.

Now ask yourself honestly, would Travis Wilson's stats be better if he played byu's schedule? Would Taysom Hill's stats be worse if he played against Utah's schedule? The answer to both questions is "Yes".

• FT salt lake city, UT
    July 16, 2014 9:14 a.m.

As a season holder and Alumni of Utah for 40 years I'll say without question Keeton is the man. He's an incredible talent with the ability to change the game. He would start on almost any team in the country. He's that good and a great leader.

• Jefe-Ute SLC, UT
    July 16, 2014 9:57 a.m.

@sportsfan

That may be, but TW was playing with a hurt throwing hand. He admitted after the season that he couldn't even grip the ball. TW has a Rating of 130 compared to 118 for TH. Take out his injured games and he is throwing an awesome 63%, or 10% higher than TH. His rating would also be quite a bit higher. @KH is spot on. Look at TH's #s in the big boy games. Utah: 37%; Wisconsin: 46%; Virginia (only because they are P5) 32%; Texas: 35%. His "best" games were ND where he completed 58% but was 1-1 Td/Int but only threw 168 yards and Washington where he completed 52% and was 0-1 Td/Int. Same trend with his rushing. So yeah, definitely Heisman worthy and 40 spots above the Utes QB situation...

• CougOrUte..Naah Nibley, UT
    July 16, 2014 10:09 a.m.

I think the article is spot on. USU is in a great situation, if Chuckie gets injured, in steps a proven quarterback who led them to a Bowl win over a very good Northern Illinois team. Taysom and Travis are very talented quarterbacks or they would not be playing where they are, but no one knows what is behind them, so their quarterback situation is an unknown....thus the lower ranking. Just as a reminder to Chris B and Stang08, what is the one thing that neither of the BYU, Utah, or SUU quarterbacks have, that both the USU quarterbacks do have......a bowl win. However, I believe Ammon Olsen is going to help that situation out.

• Aggie253 Logan, UT
    July 16, 2014 10:35 a.m.

I agree with CougOrUte..Naah. A lot of people seem to be forgetting that this is not simply an assessment of the starting QB, but an assessment of the entire QB situation at each respective school. USU is the only school in the state with known commodities at both the starting and backup roles, and both of those players are battle tested and excellent quarterbacks. Additionally, while it didn't really factor into this analysis, Utah State is stocked at the QB position for years to come between Garretson and Oregon transfer Damion Hobbs. However, if people want to turn this discussion into a "my starting QB is better than your starting QB" argument, that's fine with us Aggies. Chuckie wins hands down. Hill is a great QB in some respects, but average in others. Wilson has yet to really prove himself, though he does have potential. Chuckie is the total package and the all-around best QB in the state, possibly in the west. All indications are that he will put up some eye popping numbers this year. Coming off an injury I'm sure he's got a chip on his shoulder.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 16, 2014 10:39 a.m.

@sambone
    "Your bias is showing. Keeton's upside is plenty big. From his sophomore year to his junior year, his efficiency and passing ratings all went up."
    ---------------------

Keeton is the better passer right now, there's no doubt about that, but with him you know what you have and he's pretty much maxed his potential and there's nothing next level elite about him. His surface has been pretty well scratched.

With Taysom, when I refer to upside, he hasn't even scratched his surface yet and that's why experts are so high on him. "Potential" is always a question mark and not every player with potential realizes it so it's not a given that Taysom will realize his. However, last season was his first season as a starter, he was running an entirely brand new offensive system, behind a woefully inadequate piece-meal OL, with a very pedestrian receiver group (Hoff excepted), in his first full season as a starting QB.

With all of that being considered he threw for just a shade under 3000 yds, 19 TD's and ran for 1344 yds and 10 TDs and iirc led the nation in the number of runs 20+ yds.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 16, 2014 10:57 a.m.

Keeton is the better passer right now but he's also pretty much reached his max potential. Any improvements now are going to be incremental. His PER was 154 his soph year and 157 his junior (in half a season) but he was on pace to have fewer yards passing and rushing in his junior yr.

Keeton started as a frosh and then took over as full time starter his soph yr. He ran an established offense full of NFL caliber RB's like Robert Turbin, Michael Smith, etc behind an established OL with several NFL draft picks in that group. His best year was his soph yr when USU went 11-2 and finished #16 in tha nation. He's not benefiting from that now that Gary Andersen is gone. As a result last season we saw his production taper.

Taysom just completed his first year as a starter. He's just starting to scratch the surface.

You haven't seen anything yet.

There's a reason TH was recruited by Stanford and many other Pac10 programs while Keeton was offered by only WAC schools like AFA, Rice, Memphis, Nevada, etc.

Experts like Jim Harbaugh saw the difference even in HS.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    July 16, 2014 11:05 a.m.

KH

"Taysom also plays teams like Virginia,..."

LOL at the always predictable "weak opponent" spin of the hill crowd.

Taysom racked up 259 yards rushing versus Texas, 99 yards rushing versus Utah, 128 yards rushing versus Houston, and 101 yards rushing versus Notre Dame.

It's funny how Utah fans are always full of whiny excuses.

Maybe U should go back to the Rocky Mountain Conference where U used to "dominate".

LOL!

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 16, 2014 11:10 a.m.

@uteology
    "Come again? According to CBS Sports:

2015 Top NFL Draft Prospects: Quarterback (updated 7/13/2014):

#5 Chuckie Keeton

2016 Top NFL Draft Prospects: Quarterback (updated 7/13/2014):

#20 Tysom Hill
    #30 Adam Shultz"
    ------------------

You'll see that change dramatically this year. Keeton won't drop much but he will drop some because Utah St isn't as good as they were his sophomore year.

The major difference will be how far TH climbs now that he's had a full year as a starter, the GFGH offense is in yr 2 and has worked out a lot of kinks, improved the OL and WR group, etc.

Also, obviously, I think you know you'll see Schulz drop quite a bit from that ranking. Keeton is bumping up against his ceiling now but for TH, the sky is the limit because of his elite NFL level athleticism.

There's a reason that an NFL coach like Jim Harbaugh recruited Taysom Hill to Stanford while Keeton was being recruited by only WAC schools. Keeton is a nice over-achiever and has surprised but as a 2 star athlete in HS was pretty much pegged from the beginning.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    July 16, 2014 11:16 a.m.

"I would think that the last thing Utah fans would want to see is Travis running the ball."

I would think the last thing BYU fans want to see is Taysom running the ball.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 16, 2014 11:23 a.m.

@Aggie253

"All indications are that he will put up some eye popping numbers this year"

------------------

Chuckie is certainly the more polished passer of all 3 but he pretty much peaked his sophomore year. Improvements he made in his junior year were marginal. He was on track to throw and run for significantly fewer yards his jr yr before he got hurt, his PER only improved 3 pts but he was on par to improve in TD passes and fewer INT's (that's good). Also, the talent surrounding Chuckie is in decline now that GA is gone so he's not able to hide behind it like he did as a soph.

I predict he has a nice senior year but it won't be much better than his soph year and in fact could continue to decline like his jr yr did. Much of his success is related to his being a "system QB" and his extensive use of bubble screens, pop passes and other quick-rhythm throws that are a staple of the Aggie offense.

There's no more Robert Turbin, Michael Smith, Kerwynn Williams or Gary Andersen to take the pressure off of him.

• KH Holladay, UT
    July 16, 2014 11:30 a.m.

Rockwell,

I noticed that you completely dodged my questions. Let me ask you again, and this time try to answer it honestly.

Would Travis Wilson's stats be better if he played byu's schedule?

Would Taysom Hill's stats be worse if he played against Utah's schedule?

I know you byu fans don't like the SOS argument, but it is a valid argument especially when byu fans claim superiority to Utah even though they haven't beaten Utah in 4 years.

For the record, I expect Taysom Hill to have an absolutely Monster game against Savannah State this year. But it won't mean much because it is against Savannah State. But he'll put up some really impressive numbers that game and all of you byu fans will go crazy.

• the matrix Cedar City, UT
    July 16, 2014 11:32 a.m.

Kudos to Utah State. I am a life long Cougar fan but I also am very glad to see the Aggies building a strong football program.Aggie fans are very dedicated and loyal fans and deserve to have a solid team on the field. Ute fans have a difficult time admitting that maybe the Aggies have a better program right now then they do. Utes keep crowing about being in the PAC-12 but apparently they don't belong there either because 4-5, 3-6 and 2-7 records bear that out. Sure they have beaten my beloved Cougars the last four times straight. They deserve great credit for that. Has much as love my Cougars I will admit that they probably aren't ready for the PAC-12 yet however I believe that day will come in the next few seasons. We have great college football here in the State of Utah but Utes and Cougars have to admit has bitter as it is that maybe neither team is ready for the PAC-12 yet. I do hope that every college team in this wonderful state has a great season.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    July 16, 2014 11:33 a.m.

@Rockwell

Virgina is a pretty weak opponent, but all teams play a few of those. Do you ever actually comment on the subject; or merely go to the thread purely to pick a fight/argument? The latter appears accurate.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 16, 2014 11:34 a.m.

@soonerute
    "Last year, he ran the ball because his offensive line didn't hold. If Taysom gets spooked in the pocket and has to run this year, that means the offensive line isn't "much improved"."

--------------

Last year he ran the ball because that was an area of superiority. He led the nation in the number of runs over 20 yds last year. The guy has elite level athleticism. Taysom runs because he loves it and loves the contact. BYU's offensive line supported 2 (that's TWO) 1000 yd rushers, how many 1000 yd rushers did the ute OL produce?

The GFGH is a read option offense and one of those options is always for the QB to run. It's expected he will run less this season because he has a much more talented group of WR's to throw to, has a better grasp on the offense and has been working on his passing during the off-season under the guidance of NFL minds (uber-elite Manning Camp).

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 16, 2014 11:37 a.m.

SoonerUte

Your comments prove that you don't have a clue about the design of BYU's multi-option offense.

Most of the 259 yards Taysom racked up versus Texas came via designed option runs.

BYU fans hope to see Taysom improve his passing accuracy while still keeping opposing defenses off balance with timely runs.

If the defense has to keep a spy on Taysom to limit his running, that leaves one less LB or DB to cover BYU's receivers.

• Black&Blue St George, Utah
    July 16, 2014 12:24 p.m.

KH,

Don't forget that 2013 was Taysom's first year as a starter (started 1 game in 2012), with a brand new offensive system, under all new offensive coaches. We can't base who is the better QB just on SOS, because none of the QB's mentioned has any say in that. I think Wilson and Hill are pretty even as far as on-field performance at this point. Travis Wilson has struggled with Int's(16TD's 16Int's), but also completes more passes. While Taysom clearly had issues with accuracy (53% completion), but threw more TD's and less INT's (19TD's 14INT's).

The best comparison would be between common opponents, and between Utah and BYU there is only 1 common opponent from 2013, USU.

Travis Wilson - 17-28 302yds 60.7%-completion 2-TD's 0-INT 174.8 Rating
    Taysom Hill - 17-31 288yds 54.6%-completion 3-TD's 1-INT 155.7 Rating

• RSL* Why, AZ
    July 16, 2014 12:25 p.m.

It probably helped USU in the ranking when the team goes to a bowl game and wins. How things have changed.

• CougOrUte..Naah Nibley, UT
    July 16, 2014 12:50 p.m.

BigCougar - Although you continue to bang the Chuckie is a finished project and Taysom is just scratching the surface drum, the great thing is that we have a season to evaluate them with. USU and BYU's schedules are very comparable this year. Well with the exception we don't have a Savannah State or Middle Tennessee on our schedule. It will be interesting to see how Chuckie and Taysom compare at years end. I think you will find that Chuckie still has room for improvement and will be better than expected. Gary was a great coach no doubt, but Matt Wells has done a fine job and has held us to the same level of play. Another great thing is we get to go head to head this year, that should be a real telling game. I would suggest that you shouldn't let your arrogance get in the way of your perspective.

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    July 16, 2014 12:56 p.m.

KH

"Would Travis Wilson's stats be better if he played BYU's schedule?

Would Taysom Hill's stats be worse if he played against Utah's schedule?"

Possibly, but you're making a big assumption, considering Taysom put up monster numbers versus Texas, and Travis struggled against BYU and Utah St.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    July 16, 2014 1:18 p.m.

BigCougar
    Bountiful, UT

You haven't seen anything yet.

----------

Deja vu. Sounds like exact same thing we all heard in July 2011... how Heaps hasn't even scratched the surface yet... how he lit up UTEP in the NM Bowl... and watch out everybody!

Then... thud.

Same thing could happen with Hill.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    July 16, 2014 1:21 p.m.

@CougarorUte...Nah

I agree with your last sentence. However let me pose this question to you. What does Olsen have that Keeton does not? Answer: The ability to stay on the field. Aggie253, how can Keeton be the best when he's only played 3-4 games in each of his seasons? It's impossible for him to be the best.

• KH Holladay, UT
    July 16, 2014 1:23 p.m.

Snack PAC

I thought Travis had a very good game against Utah St and he played decent against byu.

Wilson vs Utah St was 17-28 with 302 yards, 2 TDS, 0 INT. That is a very good game. He got the win in both games and that is really all that matters.

Hill did have a very good running game against Texas and led the team to a win. But where was he when they played Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Washington, and Utah (all comparable to PAC 12 teams that Utah played last season)? I'm just saying that Hill padded his stats for the season on the weaklings.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    July 16, 2014 1:23 p.m.

Rockwell
    Baltimore, MD

"Taysom racked up 99 yards rushing versus Utah..."

Weak dude. He couldn't even crack the 100-yard rushing mark against a doormat Pac 12 team? Or are you now holding up Utah as a decent P5 opponent because it reflects well on BYU? Classic hypocrisy from the Provo crowd.

"Travis only rushed for 100+ yards in one game last season (Oregon State) only managed 93 yards rushing versus Weber State, only had 9 yards rushing versus Utah State, and only had 7 yards rushing versus BYU."

Travis Wilson isn't a running QB. He's a pocket passer who sometimes runs the ball when the O-line breaks down. Hill is a running QB. There is no comparison.

"It's funny how Utah fans are always full of whiny excuses."

I was thinking the same thing about you people, who effectively wrote the book on crybaby fandom.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    July 16, 2014 1:42 p.m.

Snack PAC
    Olympus Cove, Utah

You're making a big assumption, considering Taysom put up monster numbers versus Texas, and Travis struggled against BYU and Utah St.

--------

Cherry picking your argument again. Let me put it in proper perspective.

First of all, Travis didn't struggle in the least versus BYU or Utah State.

USU- 17/28 302 yds 2 TD 0 INT 174.9 rating
    BYU- 24/35 273 yds 2 TD 0 INT 152.9 rating

Second, Wilson had three costly picks versus Oregon State, but aside from that he had an outstanding game: 19/33 279 yds FIVE TDs. He also had a good game versus the #5-ranked team in the nation: 23/34 234 yds 2 TD 1 INT.

Although Hill performed well running versus Texas, he was dreadful through the air: 9 for 26 (34%) 129 yds 0 TD 1 INT 68.6 rating (his lowest rated game of the year).

Also, Hill performed well below par against BYU's worst opponent of the year. 11 for 19 (58%) 153 yds 2 TD THREE INTs 128.7 rating versus IDAHO STATE.

So, not all is as it seems with your remarks.

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 16, 2014 1:53 p.m.

"Travis struggled against BYU"

273 yds, 2 tds

I hope he keeps struggling like that. lol.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    July 16, 2014 2:01 p.m.

Big Cougar,

Your assessment of Keeton's year-over-year improvement is inaccurate, and ignores several salient facts. His improvement from his freshman to sophomore years was very pronounced, and he was on track to demonstrate similar improvement from his sophomore to junior year before he was injured. His performance and numbers in the games he played showed plenty of improvement in several areas including his poise, pocket presence, accuracy, passing efficiency, arm strength, and command of the offense. This all in spite of a significantly more difficult slate of opponents. These teams included Utah, USC, and BYU, all of which had very strong defenses. When faced with weaker opponents more similar to the bulk of the 2012 WAC schedule, his numbers sometimes looked more like something you'd see on a video game and showed significant improvement over his performance against similar opponents the previous year. Look for more to come this year. If you don't think Keeton has upside, you probably haven't watched him play, and you probably don't know much about football.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 16, 2014 2:16 p.m.

@Cougorute nahhh
    "USU and BYU's schedules are very comparable this year. Well with the exception we don't have a Savannah State or Middle Tennessee on our schedule....Gary was a great coach no doubt, but Matt Wells has done a fine job and has held us to the same level of play. Another great thing is we get to go head to head this year, that should be a real telling game."

-----------------

Comparable schedules w/the exception of Savannah St or MTSU? Lol! You just shot your credibility in the foot but don't worry, I called 911 for you.

BYU plays 4 teams this year who finished last year rated in the top 50 (Sagarin). Utah St only has 2 (BYU and Boise St). As for the rest of your schedule, you have Idaho St, AFA, Hawaii, Wyoming, New Mexico etc who all finished last season ranked 127
    or worse, all well below MTSU.

After BYU and BSU, the next best team is Tenn who finished last year with a losing record and ranked 60th (Sagarin). They haven't been good in a while.

(-cont)

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 16, 2014 2:26 p.m.

(-cont)

@Cougorute..nahhh

Regarding the drop off since GA left and Wells took over, it's noticeable and immediate. GA left with the program nationally ranked and having won 11 games. On the field they were tough defensively and had a top 10 defense.

BYU has been able to handle Chuckie with no problems in all 3 games. He is 0-3 in games he's started vs BYU, is just barely over 50% completion, has a PER just over 100 and only gained around 20 yds on the ground per game vs BYU. Basically BYU has owned him. This year's defense will be even better than last year's for BYU.

It's not arrogance. Just confidence.

• 81Ute Central, UT
    July 16, 2014 3:08 p.m.

@ciokenoo

Yep, well over 100 games played. Utah/Utah State is family (no big/little just older/younger), I would love to see the Aggies on the schedule every year. Even after the D-4 split that will surely happen.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 16, 2014 3:42 p.m.

@poyman

-------------

Guarantee? Let's just get an idea by comparing QB Ratings vs P5 teams from last season:

Tysom Hill: Texas 68 (250 yards rushing), Utah 79, @Wisconsin 100, @Notre Dame 101, Washington 99.

Keeton: @Utah 159, @USC 109

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    July 16, 2014 4:01 p.m.

Aggie 253
    "Chuckie is the total package and the all-around best QB in the state, possibly in the west."

Hey, wait just a minute. I do agree that Chuckie is AWESOME, by what about my guy Hundley (UCLA) and Mariotta (Oregon)?

It will be interesting to see how the Utah (in-state) QBs stack up vs. the West Coast giants.

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    July 16, 2014 4:09 p.m.

"Btw, did the Giraffe or any other ute QB get invited to the Manning Camp? Naaaahhhhh. It's reserved for big-time talent like Johnny Football or Taysom Hill."

Touche, Big Cougar. Please don't stomp on the crimson crew when they are down!

• GoUTES Salt Lake City, UT
    July 16, 2014 4:41 p.m.

I think Travis Wilson will be the next Russell Wilson. He is going to be a hall of fame QB. He is NFL ready now. Chuckie and Hill would have a hard time starting for a flag football team on the hill in PAC12 country. I think the mighty Utes are poised for another Sugar Bowl win like last year.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    July 16, 2014 5:18 p.m.

I am looking forward to watching TW prove his worth this year. Uncertainty is the only reason that Utah is that low, but it is a fair ranking - for now. Besides that, I'm really looking forward to watching Chucky play. He is heads and shoulders above Hill.

Can't wait!!

Go Utes!!

• CougOrUte..Naah Nibley, UT
    July 16, 2014 5:18 p.m.

Big Cougar-Really looking forward to coming to LaVell Edwards stadium and playing head to head. Wins on the field is where is counts, I am not sure Cougar fans believe that. It will be a good challenge for the Ags. Cancel the 911 call, I don't believe I will need it. Best of luck until Oct. 3rd. You should be 3-1 by then, and surprisingly I hope Taysom does turn out to be as good as advertised. Unless you have another Virginia slip up you should end up 10-2 at worst.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 16, 2014 6:19 p.m.

@Aggie238
    "and he was on track to demonstrate similar improvement from his sophomore to junior year before he was injured....If you don't think Keeton has upside, you probably haven't watched him play, and you probably don't know much about football."

----------------------
    Chuckie's stats sophomore vs junior seasons:

Soph Jr
    games 13 6
    PER 154.7 157.1
    Passing yds 3373 1388
    TDs 27 18
    INTs 9 2
    Comp% 67.6 69.4

rushes 129 55
    yds 619 241
    ypc 4.8 4.4
    TDs 8 2

He only played half a season his junior year due to injury. If you average it out, he made very slight improvement in his PER and comp%, was on pace for significantly fewer passing yards, rushing yards, ypc and rushing TDs but on pace to have more passing TD's and fewer INTs.

All things considered he declined in some areas, incrementally improved in a couple of others and improved in a couple more. That's really not much of an improvement over his sophomore year.

I think we've seen the best he has already. Teams now know him, BYU certainly does. He's 0-3 vs BYU and hasn't looked good in those losses.

• Rose Bowl call yet? Salt Lake City, UT
    July 16, 2014 8:23 p.m.

Tomahawk Red

QB Situations for 2014

USU in the Top 10, #7
    BYU in the Top 25, #23
    Utah barely in the upper half, #60

Taysom is one of the Top 14 Heisman candidates according to NFL.com

Sugar coat it all you want; make up all of the whiny excuses you want.

Bottom line: the only people who think Travis even belongs in the same discussion as Hill and Keeton are crimson glasses wearers.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    July 16, 2014 10:17 p.m.

@BigCougar

"Since GA left there's been a noticeable difference in the toughness and mindset of the defense. It's not the same level and is a big drop-off under Wells. That's reflected in the record and will continue."

You know, I somewhat agree with a couple of your earlier comments about Chuckie being a system QB, but comments like this one are highly disingenuous if not outright false.

The Ags' 2013 defense ranked statistically higher than the 2012 defense did in several categories, including scoring defense and total defense. The overall schedule in 2013 also had a slate of better teams than in 2012, so the record drop makes sense, especially with significant injury problems.

Utah State's recruiting has also improved a bit sine GA left. Gary left the blueprint, Matt has continued it and I don't see much reason why it would change if we keep having success with it.

If you're going to take jabs at my Ags, at least get the facts right. The fact that we do what we do with 1/5 of the resources of Utah or BYU speaks volumes of how much our program has grown.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 17, 2014 3:30 a.m.

@Marked it Down

----------------

NFL rates Tysom a high draft prospect, over Keeton? Do tell, cite the source.

I was replying to the statement:

"Hill is the one QB in the article with real upside. He has a better arm than the others and absolutely superior speed. He has NFL caliber tools and will only get better."

Currently, Tysom is ranked around the #20 QB prospect for 2016 on most sites, while Keeton is around #5 prospect in 2015.

As far as Hesiman, so what? Max Hall was on the Heisman watch list in 2009. How did his NFL caliber tools help him in the CFL?

• Aggie253 Logan, UT
    July 17, 2014 6:32 a.m.

@BigCougar

Once again, you conveniently ignore the elephant in the room that you're comparing numbers (assuming numbers tell the whole story) from only the most difficult portion the 2013 schedule to the entirety of the 2012 schedule, which was played primarily against opponents like Texas State, NMSU, UTSA, and Idaho. Of course the numbers are not going to show wild improvement in that scenario no matter what quarterback you're talking about, because you're essentially cherry-picking your data. Had Chuckie completed the season, which got significantly easier after the BYU game, the performance increase in terms of numbers would have been notable, as anyone who has actually watched him play more than once or twice and knows football could have told you, based on the clearly visible improvements that I already mentioned.

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    July 17, 2014 7:10 a.m.

Most of the comments posted here are meaningless, biased assertions with manipulation of numbers. What is a FACT is that NFL.com ranked USU #7, BYU#23, and Utah #60. You can't spin that. The season will play out and we will see how accurate the evaluations were. But consider those rankings were not made by biased sports fans who can only see Blue or Red.

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    July 17, 2014 8:25 a.m.

Uteology

"Let's just get an idea by comparing QB Ratings vs P5 teams from last season..."

It's hysterical how you lump all P5 and non-P5 teams into two separate categories as if all P5s and all non-P5s are identical, which implies that prior to 2011, Utah was no better than UTEP or UNLV or Florida International, and since 2012 Utah has been just as good as Alabama.

Can you give any evidence whatsoever to support either conclusion?

If not, stop pretending that every P5 is superior to every non-P5; it makes comparisons look silly.

• Y's little brother Sandy, UT
    July 17, 2014 9:24 a.m.

Uteology

Spin the "statistics" however helps you sleep at night, but this is reality:

QB Situations for 2014 according to NFL.com (see article)

USU in the Top 10, #7
    BYU in the Top 25, #23
    Utah barely in the upper half, #60

Taysom is one of the Top 14 Heisman candidates according to NFL.com

• KH Holladay, UT
    July 17, 2014 10:04 a.m.

"Taysom Hill and Chuckie Keeton are on the watch list for the Davey O'Brien Award (nation's best QB)

Taysom is one of the Top 14 Heisman candidates according to NFL.com

Travis Wilson is fighting for his job versus a transfer who has only completed 4 of 13 passes in his college career."

- - - - - - - - - - -

And yet Travis Wilson and the Utes beat both Utah St. and byu last year. You can take your pre-season award nominations. I'll take the WIN.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    July 17, 2014 10:25 a.m.

KH

"And yet Travis Wilson and the Utes beat both Utah St. and BYU last year."

Yes, U barely pulled out a couple of wins, but that was then, this is now.

Taysom was a sophomore starting only his 6th game when BYU played Utah last season.

Meanwhile, Travis will be fighting to keep his starting job versus a transfer who has only completed 4 passes during his entire college career.

As far as "wins" go, U ran away from the rivalry so you could play Fresno State.

• scenic view Baltimore, MD
    July 17, 2014 10:38 a.m.

KH

I'll take the bowl game.

Which makes it even stranger that the Utes suspended the rivalry until 2016.

• Jay Linds Salt Lake City, UT
    July 17, 2014 11:02 a.m.

Keeton is a stud. No doubt about that. He is a legit Heisman trophy candidate in my opinion.

I'd take Wilson over Hill any day though. Hill is a great runner but his passing is quite suspect. His arm strength is fine but his accuracy and reads are terrible. Wilson, although not as good of a runner as Hill, is still quite a good runner. I've never seen him get caught from behind and is good at tucking the ball and running when the pass isn't there. He threw a lot of picks last year but most were tipped and not his fault and he always bounced back after a pick and showed great toughness and leadership. Overall he is quite accurate and makes good reads. When he struggled, it was mainly due to his cut up hand.

It will be interesting to see what happens this year but if Wilson can stay healthy, I think he has all the talent and could develop into an NFL QB.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    July 17, 2014 11:35 a.m.

Jay Linds

"He threw a lot of picks last year but most were tipped and not his fault..."

Wilson has by far the worst mechanics of any of the three. He throws sidearm, which negates his 6'7" height, and tipped passes are an indication that his passes are often off-target.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 17, 2014 11:38 a.m.

@ scenic view

Nobody said that. In fact the next sentence in your post proves the opposite.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    July 17, 2014 11:59 a.m.

I find it funny that tinplater is throwing around the word biased a lot. Considering he's just as bad as the rest of us it's pretty funny.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    July 17, 2014 12:08 p.m.

twofer

re: "Once again you prove that Utah fans would rather beat BYU, than go to a bowl game."

All you have to do is spend a couple of minutes perusing the comments of Utah fans about BYU to see that Utah fans are obsessed with beating BYU; they mention Utah's record versus BYU on practically every page.

The next sentence in scenic view's comments simply points out how strange it is, in light of their BYU obsession, that Utah ran away from the rivalry for the next two years.

U don't even play BYU this season, yet the vast majority of Utah fan comments are directed at BYU.

• KH Holladay, UT
    July 17, 2014 12:13 p.m.

@Lonestarrunner,

"This coming season, he could become one of the very few college quarterbacks ever to pass for 3,000+ yards and rush for 1,000+ yards, an achievement that he barely missed last season while BYU was busy installing a new offensive scheme."

I don't doubt that he could put up those stats, considering the competition he's playing against. Can you imagine what kind of stats a team like Oregon, Florida St., UCLA, etc. would put against byu's schedule?

@scenic view,

I never said that. The fact that Utah dropped byu from their schedule suggests that it is less important that our conference games. You were just putting down Travis Wilson, so I backed him up by saying that he and the Utes beat your team last year, as well as the year before, and the year before, and the year before. Maybe not the same QB every year, but you get the point.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 17, 2014 12:44 p.m.

@ skywalker

That's because the debate almost always boils down to Utah vs. BYU, which is why there are so many comparisons. I'm not sure if you realize this or not, but Utah and BYU are rivals. And considering how close the schools and fan bases are, there will always be comparisons made between the two.

• Rose Bowl call yet? Salt Lake City, UT
    July 17, 2014 2:28 p.m.

KH

"I don't doubt that he could put up those stats, considering the competition he's playing against."

You mean against a team like Texas - 259 rushing, 129 passing, 388 total, 3 TDs, in only his 2nd game back from season-ending knee surgery after starting only three games as a freshman.

When was the last time Travis put up those kinds of numbers against an elite team like Texas?

Taysom's better games were against BYU's tougher opponents.

Texas(8-5) - 388 total yards rushing and passing

BYU(8-5) - 280
    UCLA(10-3) - 285
    Stanford(11-3) - 269
    Arizona(8-5) - 32
    USC(10-4) - 93
    ASU(10-4) - 165

It's obvious why Taysom is on the Heisman and Davey O'Brien watch lists and why Travis isn't.

• TroyTown Anaheim, CA
    July 17, 2014 2:36 p.m.

KH
    "The fact that Utah dropped BYU from their schedule suggests that it is less important that our conference games."

Nope. The reason Chris Hill dropped BYU from Utah's schedule is he didn't think Utah was good enough to play Michigan and BYU in the same season - in other words, he didn't think Utah could qualify for a bowl if the Utes played both Michigan and BYU. He was right, of course, but probably wasn't counting on the Utes not being good enough to beat Utah State or Washington State in 2012 and 2013 in order to qualify for a bowl.

• scott Alpine, UT
    July 17, 2014 3:11 p.m.

KH

If putting up 3000+ yards passing and 1000+ yards rushing would be so "easy" against BYU's schedule, why hasn't any Utah QB in history ever matched that feat against the pathetic schedules Utah has played for most of the last half century.

Unfortunately for U, the Utes have never had a quarterback who was capable of putting up stellar numbers against any level of competition.

• KH Holladay, UT
    July 17, 2014 3:36 p.m.

Wow, I guess I hit a nerve there with the over-sensitive byu fans. First of all, I'm not saying Wilson is better than Hill. I honestly don't know. It's hard to say because they play completely different schedules.

@RoseBowlCallYet,

Please congratulate Taysom on his great game against the worst Texas team they've had in a long time. How many yards do you think he'll have this season against Savannah State?

@TroyTown,

I guess you are entitled to your opinion and I am too. We will never know if Utah in 2014 would be good enough to beat both Michigan and byu in the same season. We do know, however, that Utah has been good enough to beat byu the last 4 years, and 9 of the last 12 years. So it is reasonable to assume that they'd be good enough to beat byu again in 2014 and who knows with Michigan.

• KH Holladay, UT
    July 17, 2014 3:50 p.m.

@scott,

I've only been alive since 1986 but I can't remember a time Utah ever had as easy of a schedule as byu will play in 2014. Also, I'm pretty sure Alex Smith put up some incredible numbers. Ask Alabama if Brian Johnson was a capable QB.

• scott Alpine, UT
    July 17, 2014 4:07 p.m.

KH

According to Uteology's talent rating scale, BJ couldn't have been any good because he didn't even make an NFL roster.

---------

"Please congratulate Taysom on his great game against the worst Texas team they've had in a long time."

It's laughable how Utah fans have to minimize every big name team BYU beats as "the worst ... team" ever, yet they pretend that every P5 team Utah beats is the greatest team in that team's history.

Texas(8-5) finished in a three-way tie for 2nd in the Big 12 and stomped TCU 30-7.

Yeah, sure sounds like a terrible team.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 17, 2014 5:51 p.m.

@jay lind

Have you actually seen wilson throw a football? He has awful mechanics, a side arm throw, a slow release, and those are as much to blame for the "tips" as anything the receivers did. he does have decent straight ahead speed but is not quick and does not move all that well side to side.

I think his recovery and return is a great story, very heartwarming, but that doesn't make him a better qb than he was and his deficiencies are very large when it comes to throwing the ball. Perhaps the new oc will be able to design his system to offset some of those problems but as a thrower wilson's mechanics are a big problem.

Hill on the otherhand has a better arm and a better throwing motion, he was not accurate last year but improved whereas wilson digressed. I would certainly take the unbelievable, and vastly superior, athleticism of Hill and work on his accuracy over the much slower wilson with the much worse throwing motion.

To each their own I suppose.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 17, 2014 5:52 p.m.

@Rose Bowl call yet?

As of today, Tysom is not a NFL caliber player unless he improves his passing game. He's shown he can run but his passing efficiency is on par with Adam Shultz. That is probably why most sites have him ranked as the #20 NFL prospect.

As far as his stats:

* vs mid-major talent his QB Rating average is 150.

* Overall vs P5 teams he's struggled passing the ball his QB rating is 97.

Which would explain why BYU went 6-0 vs mid-majors and 2-5 vs P5 teams.

@Troy

No, what Utah did was drop our annual guaranteed win over a mediocre mid-major team, BYU (8-5 last year), and replace it with a quality mid-major team, Fresno (11-2 last year). Fresno improves our schedule by replacing BYU.

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    July 18, 2014 6:37 a.m.

@ Stang0, of course I am biased, I am an Aggie fan! But I try to be objective. My comment still stands, the FACT is that NFL.com ranked USU ahead of BYU and Utah. No bias needed to confirm that that statement is correct.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 18, 2014 3:55 p.m.

@ Duckhunter

WIlson was noted to have the quickest release in the Elite 11 camp. His style is unorthodox, just like Phillip Rivers and Brock Osweiler. As long as it's quick and accurate, (which it is) it doesn't matter. Wilson just needs to make his reads quicker.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 19, 2014 2:42 p.m.

@2fer

Can you direct me to any articles that support that claim about wilson's "quick release"? I looked at everything I could find for the elite 11 from his sr year and found nothing to support that. Not saying you are wrong, I just couldn't find it. I can go off of what I have seen however and a quick release is not what I have witnessed, not to mention the large amount of interceptions he has thrown would cast some doubt on the "accuracy" claim.

I did notice A LOT of praise for Tanner Mangum at the Elite 11 that year. But then he was actually the MVP of the Elite 11 whereas wilson didn't even make the actual final 11.

• utahman1 Salem, MA
    July 22, 2014 3:43 a.m.

I thought in order to be a "dual-threat" QB, one must also be able to pass. Taysom Hill cannot pass so there for he's a "solo-threat" QB