USU football: Brian Suite named to Jim Thorpe Award Watch List

Comments

• Hawk Littleton, CO
    July 11, 2014 11:42 a.m.

Congrats and very deserving. A lot of expectations in Logan this year for a great season -- in fact, it's surprising how many players at both USU and BYU have been identified for pre-season watch lists. Should be fun to watch it all play out.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    July 11, 2014 2:38 p.m.

If my count is right, that makes 8 nominations for the Aggies so far, including 5 different players being nominated for 6 different awards. Not half bad!

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    July 13, 2014 1:19 p.m.

Really getting excited about Aggie football this year..I see an 8 win season. These nominations mean nothing, of course, ask Stang0...they are USU players. There isn't a decent athlete on the team by his assessment.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    July 14, 2014 10:16 a.m.

8 wins is all, tinplater? I disagree. Assuming Chuckie stays healthy and we don't have a total injury meltdown like last year, I'd say we're looking at 9-10 wins worst case. The schedule this year is not murderer's row by any means and is certainly easier than last year's schedule. There's no single game on the schedule that would be a huge surprise for USU to win. Our three toughest games are @Tenn, @BYU, and @Boise, and I think we win at least one of those, possibly two. Out of the remaining games, we may lose one, possibly two, perhaps out of @Colorado State, UNLV, or SJSU. At worst, that would put us at 9-4 heading into the bowl game. On the other hand, it's entirely possible that we could end up with a 1 loss regular season and go to the MW Champ game plus the bowl game. My optimistic prediction is that we go 11-2 for the regular season, and go 1-1 between the MWCG and our bowl game, finishing the season at 12-3.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    July 14, 2014 12:48 p.m.

Assuming Keeton stays healthy? We all know he won't. It's impossible for Keeton to stay healthy.

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    July 14, 2014 4:12 p.m.

Aggie238, I hope you are correct, but I believe we will lose to BYU, Boise, and Tennessee and think we will probably lose two of the remaining games. Just my pessimistic nature honed by decades of expecting Aggie loses. Stang0 doesn't understand that even should Keeton be injured, the Aggies have excellent depth (and experience) at QB. Why Stang0 even bothers to read and expose himself on the USU boards mystifies me.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    July 15, 2014 9:02 a.m.

Understandable. My prediction is admittedly optimistic, but I don't think it's wildly so. I am expecting a regular season finish anywhere from 9-4 to 11-2. I think anything less than 9 wins would represent a step backwards (after all, we managed 8 regular season wins last year without Keeton and half of our offense against a tougher schedule), and anything more than that would be a very surprising and special season. Including post-season play, I am anticipating anything from 10-4 to 12-3.

Stang is probably predicting 0-15.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    July 15, 2014 1:31 p.m.

No not 0-15. You can chalk up 3-4 wins with Keeton. After that, well it's anyone's best guess how far USU will fall without him. Do I have to keep explaining something this simple to tinplater? You were right in a previous comment. They are USU players who couldn't make it anywhere else.

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    July 15, 2014 2:24 p.m.

Oh Richard... back on USU articles?
    USU players could not make it on 6th in the big sky suu huh?
    LOL

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    July 15, 2014 4:51 p.m.

Turns out, NFL.com rates Utah State's quarterback situation, which includes assessing the backup QB and how comfortable the coach would be going into the season, as No. 7 out of all FBS schools. BYU is 23 and Utah is 60. I wonder if he senses the irony, given his last comment.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    July 15, 2014 11:29 p.m.

I wish somebody would let the cat out of the bag and tell us how he came up with that Richard thing and who Richard is. Also since he is a true Thunderbird he would know there are more than 6 teams in the conference and that SUU will no doubt be ranked higher by the end of the year. But I guess we can't all get what we wish for.

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    July 18, 2014 4:51 p.m.

Stang0 can't comprehend that anyone in the country can see what a talented quarterback Keeton is when Stang0, for some weird reason, refuses to acknowledge the talent that Chuckie has and is recognized by everyone except Stang0. Stang0, who else with football knowledge doesn't see Keeton as an exceptional quarterback? You stand all alone, by yourself on this one.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    July 20, 2014 11:47 a.m.

Every big team he plays plus their fan's.