Peavler: Summer breakdown of BYU football's 2014 schedule

Comments

• Lifelong Ute Salt Lake City, UT
    July 3, 2014 5:00 p.m.

On the eve of Independence day, I give thanks my team was wanted by a real conference and doesn't have an awful independent schedule like this!

Go Utes!

• Mesa Coug Phoenix, AZ
    July 3, 2014 6:07 p.m.

Lifelong Ute

Thanks for paying attention to my Cougars. Just shows how pathetic the team on the hill is when you follow us so closely.

GO COUGARS!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    July 3, 2014 11:53 p.m.

When will Utes, who say they've move on, really moved on? If it's not chrisb, it's another ute who leads the comments. Face it, U are loyal BYU followers. You may not be fans, but you are followers.

I loved last seasons schedule. It was on par, or more difficult than most teams in any big 5 conference. While I'm not as thrilled with this years, schedule, it still beats playing a MWC schedule by a long shot.

I especially love that my beloved Cougs will make another trip to Texas. I'll be in Austin cheering them on, just like I was in Houston last year.

It is nice knowing that we can compete against our schedule and may even have a shot at a special season. I don't understand how the Utes can knock our SOS. I can't imagine what it would be like looking at a SOS that U have no shot at winning. Face it, U can't compete at the PAC level. Best case scenario is 5 wins, and 4 is more likely with another trip to the bowling alley in December. I wonder where Whit will end up after this season?

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 4, 2014 4:06 a.m.

@ Mesa Coug

The only thing pathetic here is the fact that BYU hasn't even held a lead on Utah since the first half of the game in 2011.

• CougarColby Fort Benning, GA
    July 4, 2014 8:09 a.m.

LIfelong Ute,

Your team was the 12th of 12 teams wanted in that conference and not even their 3, 4, or 5th choice at that. The PAC12 needed 12 teams to have two division and a championship game according to NCAA rules. Therefore, you were selected, only after Texas and at least Oklahoma were given consideration. Colorado came next, and then the pitiful team on the hill that has been exactly what the PAC12 wants. A poor team, that doesn't upset the balance of the current PAC12.

Do you really think USC, Oregon, UCLA and Stanford's athletic directors voted to have Utah in the conference because they were excited about more competition? No, they want to be the top dogs and if including Utah and Colorado means two divisions and a championship game, they took it. Because they know both teams will continue to be insignificant and won't harm their 1st tier image.

I guess you guys do enjoy it though, you seem to rep your conference more than your team with all those stickers...

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    July 4, 2014 3:54 p.m.

CougarColby
    Fort Benning, GA

Bitter, much?

Based on the article, which you failed to even mention in your rant, the most exciting home game byu has to look forward to is Utah St. byu fans should be bitter but be careful who you blame for the predicament byu is in. It isn't Utah's fault.

From a Utah fan who sports Pac-12 stickers, it is fun watching byu athletics (from Holmoe to a head football coach) grovel to get what Utah already has.

Happy 4th!

• USNGary San Diego, CA
    July 5, 2014 12:45 a.m.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    July 5, 2014 10:57 a.m.

USNGary
    San Diego, CA

"If you don't care about BYU, don't read their articles. I don't read Utah articles and I don't comment on them because as BYU fans we have moved on."

You assert your practice is to not read or comment on Utah articles. Yet, you speak on behlf of the entire byu fan base by claiming "we" have moved on. Priceless! The reality is that Utah articles are full of byu fans who have "moved on."

Personally, I like having byu fans comment on Utah articles. Make no mistake about it, whether it's comments on Utah articles or byu articles, byu and its fans are being laughed at.

Back to the topic at hand...great schedule this year for the cougs. The slate of home games will, without a doubt, pack in the crowds at LES.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    July 5, 2014 11:44 a.m.

@My perspective/Chris B. (same guy different accounts)

Utah is the only place driving PAC-12 sticker sales. As I drove through Cali from south to north past UCLA, USC, Stanford and Cal I saw zero PAC-12 stickers. No one outside of Utah celebrates a conference. That and BYU's success is the only thing that matters to Ute fans. Its as if Utah has nothing of value on its own. They are just a venue for good football teams to come in and beat up on and its all good with the PAC-12 fans.

Are there even real Utah fans or are they all just PAC-12 fans that happen to live in Utah and support the real programs of the league.

Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't Utah amassed one single PAC-12 championship (gymnastics last year) in three years?

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 5, 2014 11:57 a.m.

CougFaninTX:

"While I'm not as thrilled with this years, schedule, it still beats playing a MWC schedule by a long shot."

No it doesn't. According to Phil Steele's 2014 preseason magazine, your SOS ranks #73. And that puts your SOS smack dab in the middle of such MWC teams as #59 Wyo, #65 BSU, #66 SJSU, #67 Hawai'i, #75 Nevada, #80 UNLV, #81 FSU, and #82 UNM.

So no, it doesn't beat playing in the MWC. SOS-wise, it's about the same. However the MWC would have provided significantly decreased travel costs, meaningful games, and historical rivalries. But right now, that's really neither here nor there, because you don't have the OPTION to return to the MWC. You can't get a 75% approval vote. So you're now stuck with indy-irrelevance, or petitioning C-USA.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 5, 2014 12:03 p.m.

ColbyCougar:

"Your team was the 12th of 12 teams wanted in that conference and not even their 3, 4, or 5th choice at that....you were selected, only after Texas and at least Oklahoma were given consideration. Colorado came next, and then the pitiful team on the hill that has been exactly what the PAC12 wants. A poor team, that doesn't upset the balance of the current PAC12...Do you really think USC, Oregon, UCLA and Stanford's athletic directors voted to have Utah in the conference because they were excited about more competition?"

So if Utah and CU were selected because the Pac-10 really wanted a couple of poor teams, but we weren't their top "poor team" choice, then what you're saying is Texas and OU were more desired because they'd be even WORSE than Utah and CU?

Cougar logic. Wow. Just wow!

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    July 5, 2014 6:20 p.m.

Steven S Jarvis
    Orem, UT

"Utah is the only place driving PAC-12 sticker sales. As I drove through Cali from south to north past UCLA, USC, Stanford and Cal I saw zero PAC-12 stickers..."

I too, was in the heart of Pac-12 country recently. Oddly enough, I did see Pac-12 stickers and Pac-12 tee-shirts as well. In fact, I was overseas a while back and saw Pac-12 gear there as well. We love our "U" sign too, Steve :)

• USNGary San Diego, CA
    July 5, 2014 9:33 p.m.

Driving through LA going to UCLA medical center, then driving to Pasadena to have lunch a few months ago, I never saw a PAC 12 sticker and this area has 2 PAC 12 teams. Not one sticker.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 5, 2014 11:14 p.m.

@ USNGary

Here in Utah we have the ability to distinguish which team a person cheers for by conference (or lack thereof). MWC, Indy, or PAC-12. Don't be upset by Ute fans for being proud of being part of the most prestigious one....

• PapaLinusAZ Gilbert, AZ
    July 6, 2014 3:08 a.m.

Well, Lifelong Ute, I'm a proud Utah grad living in Arizona State for the past 22 years. BYU's situation isn't great, but I'd take their's over Utah's, the newest punching bag for the top Pac 10 schools. You're right, the Pac 10 Really Wanted Utah. Think of what you're saying before you pop off.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 6, 2014 10:01 a.m.

@ PapaLinusAZ

"BYU's situation isn't great, but I'd take their's over Utah's"

Nobody with an ounce of sense would take BYU's situation over Utah's. Nobody.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    July 6, 2014 10:48 a.m.

PapaLinusAZ
    Gilbert, AZ

"BYU's situation isn't great, but I'd take their's over Utah's, the newest punching bag for the top Pac 10 schools."

You would rather have dumbed down schedules to make your team look good than compete against the very best the nation has to offer? You, sir, are no Utah fan/man. Nope. I'm not buy it...not even for a minute.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    July 6, 2014 12:50 p.m.

I Live in SoCal. I've never seen a PAC-12 sticker. I have some Husky shirts and a windbreaker. I have an OSU shirt or two. No Pac12 shirt or sticker.

Last year, I wore my Husky windbreaker over a BYU shirt on the UCLA-USC gameday. No PAC12 stickers. I sat with a bunch of UCLA fans. One lady told me that BYU and Washington were her two favorite teams (I guess her husband was a UCLA grad).

Of course, I've always hated UCLA and USC. But strangely, I'm finding I hate ULCA more as I rooted for USC. Even more strangely, nobody here in SoCal roots for Utah, and nobody respects them. The Rose Bowl will have 15,000 BYU fans. How many Ute fans will attend a UCLA home game? Just asking.

Gotta win some, Ute fans, before you blow your horns. You're just another bump in the road to most PAC-12 teams.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    July 6, 2014 2:45 p.m.

@2Fer/Chris B

I never have seen a MWC or WAC sticker. Don't know if they even sell them since there isn't a market for league stickers. What I do see most of are team stickers such as BYU, Cal, Stanford, USC or UCLA. Occasionally in Utah I have seen trucks with both PAC-12 and Utah stickers.

@Naval Vet

You are being ridiculous. BYU has no reason to go back to the MWC. They were carrying the league since its formation and no doubt would be welcomed back since BYU brings significant money to the table. BYU is successful both on the field, and financially with its sports program. They have a fair chance at making the New Years bowl lineup playing Indy and about the same chance as any team in PAC at making the playoffs if they manage to go undefeated. They also win in other sports.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    July 6, 2014 5:17 p.m.

BlueHusky
    Mission Viejo, CA

Steven S Jarvis
    Orem, UT

Carrying the league? LOL! The only thing byu ever carried was itself. They have a rich history of doing nothing for no body. The last 10 years in the MWC saw byu in the bottom of the top third. If byu is as great as you want to think it is, it would be in an elite conference. Stop fooling yourself.

Look, we get it...you guys don't like that Utah fans enjoy showing what our school has accomplished. If it were byu, the euphemism would be "exposure." We also get that you guys don't like being left out. Too bad...that isn't Utah's fault (see byu).

Back to the topic at hand...great home sched the cougs have this year. You must be giddy with excitement.

Rise and shout!

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 6, 2014 10:22 p.m.

@ Steven S Jarvis

I'm not Chris B. Give me a break.

The reason you haven't seen any MWC or WAC stickers is because those leagues are not prestigious. Utah has been in both, and now has grown to be a full member of one of the most elite conferences in the nation. Ute fans are proud of that, and that is why you see PAC-12 stickers. It's a celebration of our inclusion and of our potential for growth and future accomplishments. The fact that it riles up jealous BYU fans is just a bonus.

Also, BYU is a mid-major. They do NOT have the same chance of making the playoffs as any PAC team. Not even close.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 7, 2014 6:15 a.m.

Steven S Jarvis:

Whether or not the Y would "want" to return to the MWC is completely irrelevant, because it isn't their choice. The Y CAN'T return to the MWC without an invitation, and you won't GET that invitation because you can't get a 75% approval from its league members. Your only choices are either remaining indy-irrelevant, or petitioning C-USA. Period.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    July 7, 2014 9:32 a.m.

@My perspective

That is certainly your perspective. It varies drastically with reality. BYU leaving the MWC ended nearly all sponsorship of the MWC network and the network folded. BYU was the in-conference money game to all the other teams in the league. This extended to basketball and even other sports. When it came to competition BYU racked up title after title in all sports. Utah was probably second to BYU, but it was a long way behind BYU in both of these categories.

I am giddy with the schedule. There are five highly meaningful games and seven teams who made bowls last year. In the past there were usually only three good games. Even our filler games are significantly much more entertaining than what we have had in the past. I can't wait to see Savannah State this year. This is the last chance to see a SWAC team come to Utah as that league likely drops football in the coming decade. Never thought I would see a day when the best all-black schools would come to the state. Cal, UConn and VA all are better than WY, CSU, NM.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    July 7, 2014 9:50 a.m.

@Naval Vet

LOL--Money talks.

@ 2 Fer

You sure sound like him using "prestigious" and "midmajor". Trolling BYU articles is the same thing as Chris B., so you might as well be the same person.

BYU won just as many BCS titles as the PAC-12 did during the BCS era. Zero. The league is much improved than it was during the BCS era as they have all benefited from USC being sanctioned. However, it is unlikely that teams from the PAC-12 will go undefeated, especially as they increase out of conference competition. BYU has a much better chance of going undefeated than Stanford, Oregon or UCLA. An undefeated BYU will make it in over a one or two loss PAC team most years. IF they don't at least they go to a New Years Bowl.

As for the stickers, its funny that most of the PAC-12 stickers I see do not have any U stickers accompanying them. Celebrate the conference. Its all you have.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    July 7, 2014 10:49 a.m.

Naval Vet
    Philadelphia, PA

"BYU has a much better chance of going undefeated than Stanford, Oregon or UCLA. An undefeated BYU will make it in over a one or two loss PAC team most years."

LOL! You are really out of touch with college football, Steve. The BCS era is now behind us and byu didn't produce. This is the dawn of the Power 5 of which byu is not a part.

btw...byu is expected to go undefeated with the high caliber (lol!!) schedule that Holmoe puts in place. They will never, and I mean never trump a member of a Power 5 conference. Of course, once the split into four divisions takes place, byu will be in a more favorable position to compete in the mid-major bowls.

Finally, not sure why you care so much about our Pac-12 stickers. Personally, I love the Pac-12 stickers, love the gear, love our "U" sign, and love our elite conference membership. Find something about independence to celebrate. It will make you feel better.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    July 7, 2014 1:27 p.m.

MyPerspective
    Salt Lake City, UT

Naval Vet
    Philadelphia, PA

My apologies, Naval Vet...I referenced you instead of "Steven S Jarvis" in my post above.

Steve get a great big LOL!!

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2014 1:26 a.m.

@ Steven S Jarvis

The PAC-12 is a prestigious conference. BYU, not being a member of a P5 conference, is a mid-major. I'm not using them as an insult. It's just a fact. Further, I'm not here on BYU articles for the purpose of getting a rise out of people. I love to talk college football, which is what I'm here to do. Just because somebody disagrees with you does not automatically mean they are trolling.

BYU, especially this year, does have a better chance of going undefeated than any PAC-12 team. But that is due to the weak schedule, rather than the quality of BYU's team. SOS is going to be a factor in how playoff teams are selected. An undefeated BYU will get over looked by a 1 or 2 loss PAC-12 team every single time. I don't think you understand the division that is being created between the P5 leagues and the rest of college football.

I see far more Utah stickers than I do PAC-12 stickers. Perhaps you are just seeing what you want to see? It wouldn't be the first time somebody fell victim to confirmation bias.....

• Simpe Spectator St.George, UT
    July 8, 2014 9:11 a.m.

This has been given way too much attention. I added up all the winning/losing records of the teams that BYU plays. The average winning percentage is 41%. They are playing teams who on average didn't win even half of their games. Not a good direction to be going...its a slippery slope. Florida will play Southern Nebraska Community College of Neuroscience and nobody takes it seriously. BYU will play some really really bad teams, and BYU fans will wonder why they aren't ranked top 10 when they win 75% of their games.