University of Utah offers alternative version to school's fight song

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 2, 2014 12:51 p.m.

“We encourage you to sing – loudly and with pride – whichever version resonates with you

Oh, we will.

Pershing and fellow PC police were never going to change anything - we were always going to sing the one and only version, regardless of what he said.

Goooo UTES

• Ironmomo Ogden, UT
    July 2, 2014 1:00 p.m.

Do the altered verses mention anything about the PAC 12? If not I'm sure Chris B will be very disappointed.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    July 2, 2014 1:10 p.m.

Blah.

It will be interesting to hear how many people still will SHOUT the old lyrics at games.

• Arm of Orion Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 2, 2014 1:11 p.m.

This is the dumbest thing that has happened. Dear University of Utah people. Y'all got problems. Sincerely a recent Utah Alum.

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    July 2, 2014 1:18 p.m.

I guess the world is kinder and gentler now. Whatever.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 2, 2014 1:22 p.m.

If the previous version was good enough for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, it'll always be good enough for this Utah Man.

• U-State1888 Sandy, UT
    July 2, 2014 1:28 p.m.

I'm sick of everyone's obsession with being politically correct all the time. Look at the effect that it is having on tradition and sports lately... The Redskins can't be the Redskins, coeds can't be coeds, etc. You can't please everyone. We might as well take the word "God" out of the Pledge-of-Allegiance while we're at it. We all know certain groups have been complaining about that one for years. Where does it end??!

• Cletus from Coalville Coalville, UT
    July 2, 2014 1:28 p.m.

Another silly liberal victory forcing the University to bow to the alter of meaningless symbolism over substance.

• RunMom Salt Lake City, UT
    July 2, 2014 1:30 p.m.

Our family will be singing "loud and proud" the original UTAH MAN!
    I have to say, I think all this publicity and hub bub is the best thing to happen to our fight song in a long time! I predict lots of people will actually be memorizing ALL the lyrics to the original now instead of just the chorus! GO UTES!!

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    July 2, 2014 1:38 p.m.

Only the weak bow to the gods of political correctness.

• RSL* Why, AZ
    July 2, 2014 1:46 p.m.

To be true most fans do not know most of the words to this song, so even with the changes it wont matter.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    July 2, 2014 1:48 p.m.

This is ridiculous. More PC nonsense. Maybe change the wording to "Utah Woman" and I am betting all would be well with the PC crowd after all we are fighting Obama's phony war on women.... right? I am surpried the U gets to keep the Ute name at all... after all even the mention of the name Ute is degrading ...right? Perhaps a better mascot name would be the "Red Persons". Have to run that one through the PC checker first however to make sure no one is offended. Does RED offend someone? Probably. Mitt was right - a whimmpy nation of victims thanks to Barack Obama.

• OHBU Columbus, OH
    July 2, 2014 2:14 p.m.

The University knows exactly what they're doing. Let people sing it how they want, but it will be the new words on the video boards. Over time, new students learning the song will be singing the official version, and older fans will cling to the old version. I think you'll be surprised how soon the majority of the crowd will be singing the new version. Honestly, I think many of the fans now don't care that much and will just go along with the change.

• SigmaBlue Centerville, UT
    July 2, 2014 2:34 p.m.

This is truely a sad day for the University of Utah. What else will the U of U administration find offensive? This is a prime example of where the inmates are running the asylum. I feel sorry for the poor U fans.

• Natester Cedar Hills, UT
    July 2, 2014 2:38 p.m.

I've looked for a comment board theme where I could agree with Chris B. Today is that day. I agree with you Chris. (feels good to say that).

This just seems so silly. Perhaps we should suggest a change to "Rise and Shout" because there may be a vocally-challenged wheelchair-bound fan who could become offended. My guess is that most wheelchair-bound readers just rolled their eyes at that one. I'm not sure where this will end, but its quite silly. Not sure how it gathered so much press in the first place. Fight songs weren't written to make sense or to be 'accurate' or to be kind to the opponent. They are what they are. A fight song meant to stir the crowd of fans. Let's just leave it at that, please.

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    July 2, 2014 2:39 p.m.

Are we still allowed to flash the Miami U sign when we sing the alternate versions? I hear dictating what flavor of beer we're allowed to smuggle in is next on the agenda.

• ute alumni SLC, UT
    July 2, 2014 2:54 p.m.

pathetic. another reason i gave up my box a few years aago.

• Macfarren Dallas, TX
    July 2, 2014 3:02 p.m.

Why isn't anyone complaining about the Cleveland Indians? Or heaven forbid, the Cleveland Browns that surely someone is going to take offense from.

I'm just waiting for the wildlife lobby to come to the support of the poor sea-fairing Dolphins who aren't getting their fair share cut of the football team's merchandising sales.

• Macfarren Dallas, TX
    July 2, 2014 3:04 p.m.

Those who can't sing should be offended that we have fight songs at all.....

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 2, 2014 3:14 p.m.

"Are we still allowed to flash the Miami U sign . . .?"

Christine:

Go ahead; you y "fans" have never been shy about displaying the Yale logo on your slogan t-shirts.

• Frank Staheli Santaquin, ut
    July 2, 2014 4:04 p.m.

I'm a BYU fan, so I probably shouldn't enter this fray ;-) but I do think the new version of the song is much more respectful of women.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    July 2, 2014 4:10 p.m.

I am confident that Utah had to make this change to satisfy the PAC officials. I know that Utah has lots of looney lefties, but this sounds more like left coast political correctness. If I read this correctly, nothing will change at the games, but when PAC members look at the version of the song that has been approved, they will smile and think all is right with the world.

• Rocket Science Brigham City, UT
    July 2, 2014 5:19 p.m.

Chris B., while I like to have fun saying the MUSS is becoming the WUSS with changes to the fight song, as students honor the University of Miami borrowing their hand symbol, and the mascot has become a red-tailed chicken; from a dye hard fan of the team you refer to as TDS, I’m proud of you and others for hanging in there with Utah Man.

The Utah Man tradition is rich and I believe honors a great American hero who named his plane Utah Man in honor of his beloved University of Utah. I can’t help but think of the honor of many who were proud to be a Utah Man but left their school to serve their country and fellow men. . . . .

• Rocket Science Brigham City, UT
    July 2, 2014 5:21 p.m.

In August of 1943 Army Air Corps pilot, Walter Stewart Utah BA'47 JD'49, a gangly 25-year-old, was at the controls of the B-24 that became the lead plane, dubbed "Utah Man," in the famous low-level bombing raid on Romania's Ploesti oil refineries in World War II. After the commander's aircraft was shot down, Stewart took the lead, piloting "Utah Man" through the vicious antiaircraft fire and dropped the first bombs of the raid. Then Stewart nursed his four-engine B-24, bullet-riddled and perilously low on fuel, back across Yugoslavia and over the Mediterranean to its home base in Libya, landing safely after 1,200 miles and 14 hours in the air.

The mission's cost was high. Of the 178 bombers carrying 1,700 airmen in the attack, 54 planes were lost; 310 crewmen were killed and 185 were taken prisoner. The Ploesti raiders earned the most decorations in any single wartime assault, an assault that was crippling to the Germans.

Keep the tradition and honor those who honored U.

To the always loyal Chris B and all my other friends on the hill from that great school rich in tradition - Go true Utes!

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    July 2, 2014 5:52 p.m.

Nothing like abandoning tradition to conform with the liberal views of the left. That describes the University of Utah to the T!

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    July 2, 2014 6:41 p.m.

Two comments. First, I will be singing the original words regardless of what is on the scoreboard and this time agree 100% which Chris B.

Second, the post about PAC 12 involvement are silly. This issue came out of the student government and had nothing to do with the conference. The student government voted to look at a change on their own without any pressure from anyone else While I don't agree with their opinions, it came directly from the students.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 2, 2014 6:57 p.m.

@ Pipes

In the 90's BYU changed it's fight song. The lyric "stalwart men and true" was changed to "Loyal, strong, and true."

Nothing like abandoning tradition to conform with the liberal views of the left. That describes BYU to the T..... well not really. Things just change over time. One might say change is the only constant.

• Ricardo Carvalho Provo, UT
    July 2, 2014 8:10 p.m.

I like the change well enough. I don't think it matters all that much but being more inclusive of the more than 50% of the student body who are women seams reasonable.

• Hey Baby Franklin, IN
    July 2, 2014 9:32 p.m.

Anybody think it's strange that the best rugby team in the word hail from New Zealand and call themselves The All Blacks? Do they need to change?

• tomr Salt Lake City, ut
    July 2, 2014 9:47 p.m.

Why is there so much animosity against being more inclusive towards women? They make up half the population and more than half of the student body. This isn't about being PC, it's about being considerate. Is that such a bad thing?

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    July 2, 2014 10:20 p.m.

Does Pershing wake up in the morning and say, "Let's see, what can I do to ninnify myself." Time to get a job and live in real life. Too much time on her hands.

• UteMiguel Go Utes, CA
    July 2, 2014 10:32 p.m.

Glad to hear they will not be "enforcing" the change and "requiring" fans to sing the new version. What were they going to do, send security guards to roam the stadium and eject fans caught singing the old words?

• Seldom Seen Smith Orcutt, CA
    July 2, 2014 11:05 p.m.

What's the definition of marriage, or the song Utah Man, whatever you want it to be. In other words, both terms are rendered meaningless.

• Flames6 North Salt Lake, UT
    July 2, 2014 11:38 p.m.

Even the color red is symbolic. Let's just have a vote and start over

• Long Lost America Salt Lake City, UT
    July 3, 2014 12:04 a.m.

"We also recognize that people will sing whatever choose to sing, and we fully support that."
    Well there you have it then, during the fight song I was thinking of singing the lyrics to 'Over the River and Through the Woods' anyway. I'm glad I have permission from University officials to sing whatever I feel like now. Another song, although poorly kept secret, that works well as a partner song with Utah Man is 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall. If you choose to sing this or any other lyrics, please just make sure you sing them with pride, in accordance to Utah officials recognition of the fact that everyone needs their own lyrics if they choose to sing them and we all need to be sensitive to that.
    And I was just a little surprised the environmentalists are not out in full force on this. No mention on "our yell ringing through the montains near and far" and the potential to offend those who do not wish to see the serenity of mountains and the plants and wildlife disturbed up there. I can't imagine another few months going by before we have more revisions.

• Ett Salt Lake City, UT
    July 3, 2014 2:33 a.m.

Weakly bending to liberal bias. I'm just glad I'm NOT a Utah man!The U of U just decided to scrap decades of tradition. This is cowardly.

• BJR Duchesne, UT
    July 3, 2014 6:30 a.m.

The tune isn't original. Just sing Solomon Levi like it is written.

• 1Observer Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 3, 2014 7:12 a.m.

I am so glad to see student government at the U taking on the weightier matters facing the university and the students. They are truly being prepared for today's political world of posturing and pandering without accomplishing anything useful or solving any real problems. What a legacy!

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    July 3, 2014 8:34 a.m.

chrisb and these other ute fans crack me up!

What "original" song are they going to sing? Most don't know all the words to ANY of the versions!

but I do think "they are the jolliest that we have ever seen" LOL

Go Aggies!

• Snark Provo, UT
    July 3, 2014 9:28 a.m.

How about "A statistically non-indigenous, but occasionally aboriginal, gender neutral, anthropomorphic hominid, adorned in red am I?" You can never be too careful! That hawk as a mascot has got to go; way too warlike! I'm thinking "the miffed Maltese". The new mascot would be so comforting.

• regis Salt Lake City, UT
    July 3, 2014 10:09 a.m.

Well, I'm certainly glad they won't "require" people to use the new lyrics. I was envisioning thought police marching up and down the stadium to arrest anyone who might dare utter the offending words.

• Go Utes Salt Lake City, UT
    July 3, 2014 10:15 a.m.

When oh when will our society move beyond kindergarten? Sounds like if I don't feel "included" somewhere, I can go tell the teacher and get my way. Why can't we just suck it up and deal with things? Why did the school administrators even entertain this? Yes, I know, it is not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. But it is just indicative of this overall problem in our society. We are dealing with a generation of pansies. I have a feeling it is only going to get worse.

• Seldom Seen Smith Orcutt, CA
    July 3, 2014 11:55 a.m.

Barb Snyder (University of Utah Vice President of Student Affairs) needs to get a real job. She, and the UU President, are on the taxpayer dole spending time ruminating and pontificating on matters such as this!?

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    July 3, 2014 12:28 p.m.

And I thought all this time you were singing "a utah pansie am I!!!""

Ute logic: ok to call yourselves UTES which is akin to REDSKINS, but you are against using the word MAN! Hilarious!

Go UTESKINS!

• spud Payson, UT
    July 3, 2014 12:50 p.m.

Sad thing about Utah's fight song. Its really not intimidating. Hard to fear a team who's song closely resembles the Mickey mouse club song. I would call utes fight song a work in progress. Good luck Utah

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    July 3, 2014 1:02 p.m.

I am a Utah Man, sir,
    Utah? most of the football team is NOT from Utah
    Man? that excludes women - cannot say the replacement, “fan” because that excludes people at the U who are not into athletics, or who maybe don’t even want to be there
    sir? implies knighthood and excludes common men and all women

acceptable replacement (AR)
    Hey! I’m nondescript!

and I live across the green,
    What if it’s parking lot all the way to where I live?

AR
    I exist somewhere

Our gang it is the jolliest that you have ever seen.
    Doesn’t “gang” have a violent implication?
    And what if a member of our group suffers depression?

AR
    We are a nondescript group

Our coeds are the fairest and each one's a shining star,
    Coed? You mean there is such a thing as gender? What??

AR
    We are neutered

Our yell, you'll hear it ringing through the mountains near and far!
    what if we have laryngitis or live in a valley or plain?

AR
    Please let us know if our cheers offend you

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    July 3, 2014 1:05 p.m.

Part 2

Who am I, sir,
    A Utah Man am I!
    A Utah Man, sir,
    Will be 'til I die.
    Ki-yi!

Nope, gender specific, addresses only aristocracy and implies permanence

AR
    Hey! Who am I?

We're up to snuff, we never bluff, we're game for any fuss.
    Snuff? smokeless tobacco? Shame

AR
    We think we’re OK, but please don’t let that offend you

No other gang of college men dare meet us in a muss.
    “Gang” - I thought we already dumped that. And we are being gender specific again and putting ourselves above others. OH NO!!

AR
    We like to play??

So fill your lungs and sing it out and shout it to the sky,
    What if you have COPD and cannot fill your lungs? How insensitive!

AR
    Maybe think about smiling when you think of the U

We'll fight for dear old crimson for a Utah Man am I!
    Fight? Violence again
    Man? gender specific
    Fan? (suggested replacement) not all there are fans - exclusive
    Ki-yi! Mocking a Native American war cry?

AR
    We’ll pay our taxes and tuition to support the U, but only because we have to.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 3, 2014 1:41 p.m.

Lost, spud, -truth:

I expect you will be signing the inevitable petition to change the y's mascot, as middle-aged women seem to have hijacked it from you. And you surely don't want to offend them.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    July 3, 2014 1:53 p.m.

John,

Thankfully the PC crazies are fewer in Provo so on one is crying about our fight song

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    July 3, 2014 2:12 p.m.

JohnInSLC
    Don't hold your breath john, BYU will never be hijacked by the looney lefties that control the lockstep UTESKINS ,

• OHBU Columbus, OH
    July 3, 2014 2:47 p.m.

Does anyone else see the irony of people coming on here, complaining about the change and how that offends them because tradition has been usurped? Many comments are essentially people who are offended that they didn't get their way, mad that someone was offended and demanded a change to get their way.

If the lyrics to the song should be no big deal to those offended within student government, then why should it be a big deal to you? The lyrics don't really matter, right? It's a silly thing to be offended about, right?

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    July 4, 2014 12:53 p.m.

This is the New Coke of school songs. Trying to improve something that doesn't need improving. Fortunately, it be met with the same enthusiasm and fate. The public will ignore it and it will go away.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    July 5, 2014 11:18 a.m.

A 'fan' base in turmoil...

Pretty funny isn't it? All of this over a song?

It's just a matter of time before the name goes!

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 5, 2014 11:17 p.m.

@ sammyg

Who cares? We cheer for the University of Utah.... not a nickname.

@ Sports Are Great

BYU already changed their fight song to be more gender neutral.

• redthunder Ogden, UT
    July 6, 2014 4:06 p.m.

Doesn't bother me. I'll just keep singing Utah Man. Doesn't really affect the fans at the stadium either seeing as how 3/4 of them don't know the words anyway.

• UoU 1991 Park City, UT
    July 7, 2014 8:55 a.m.

The PAC 12 PC police in action.

Next will be the nickname and the logo.

Utah should just concede the inevitable and change their nickname to the redtailed hawks or the crimson, and drop the feather from their logo.

• Marked it Down Park City, UT
    July 7, 2014 9:29 a.m.

JohnInSLC

No school can legitimately claim "ownership" of a letter of the alphabet, but it's hard to argue that Utah didn't steal the University of Miami's hand signal.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 7, 2014 2:37 p.m.

Marked:

You might have a point if Miami were an older school. But Utah was know as the "U" long before the Univ. of Miami was even found. In any event, that's mighty bold talk from the fan of a school that "borrowed" Yale's Y and USU's blue.