Utah

Tribune CEO: Deal with Deseret News designed to save, not hurt Tribune

Comments

• JM Lehi, UT
    July 1, 2014 2:38 a.m.

Wy save it? Everyone knows the Tribune is yellow Journalism at best and propaganda on most days. For example, I walked by a print copy at work today and the Trib had this headline about the LDS leaders statement on Women and Priesthood and they totally misrepresented what the Church actually said. I think even hardcore Tribbies know that the paper is not really news, but just propaganda to lull those who want to justify their hate or etc. And they can get that elsewhere now days, you know, RFM at exmo etc.

• Theeng2 Holladay, UT
    July 1, 2014 3:20 a.m.

I actually hope the The Tribune either goes out of business, or gets a major overhaul. It's basically a LDS bashing site as it is right now. They say they'll delete insensitive or hateful posts in the comments, but they never do, and I've read some pretty bad stuff.

• grouchyoldman Arden, NC
    July 1, 2014 4:47 a.m.

With the availability and the acceleration of the Internet and 24 hr. news cycle I question how long any printed news paper will be able to survive financially.

• Iron Rod Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2014 5:43 a.m.

I have two concerns.

1st concern. Why the secrecy? If this had not been leaked no one would have known about it?

2nd concern. How many million dollars was paid to the "hedge fund" which owns the Tribune and did the Tribune see any of that money?

Any one else interested?

• whit Ephraim, UT
    July 1, 2014 7:00 a.m.

Yet no word on the Trib about this. I guess it just doesn't fit their agenda, because we know they only report news that is fit to print.

• FatherOfFour WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    July 1, 2014 7:24 a.m.

This is good to see. I like the tribune. I read the trib every day to see what is going on in the world and locally. And I read the Deseret News every day (especially the political and opinion sections) to see what the LDS church is teaching (I listen to Glenn Beck for the same reason).

Theeng2, I have seen really bad anti-LDS comments there too. But likewise I have seen very mean-spirited and hateful comments here against anyone who isn't LDS. I think both sides need to relax a little.

• riverofsun St.George, Utah
    July 1, 2014 8:11 a.m.

Whew!
    Just as equality for women, and passing of the SSM law, it appears to be awfully difficult to get some Utah people to see that equality in journalism is the way our country was meant to operate.
    It is so difficult to understand why those who profess such distaste for the Tribune, cannot see the
    "American way" of a free press.
    Why demand that the Tribune"be gone"?

• Oh Really? HERRIMAN, UT
    July 1, 2014 8:11 a.m.

The new agreement is basically the old agreement in reverse. No one was crying about the partnership when the Trib collected the lion's share of revenues and profits. You know, back when it was profitable.

• RedWings CLEARFIELD, UT
    July 1, 2014 8:25 a.m.

Father of Four -

I hope you are not saying that you get Church teachings from listening to Glenn Beck? You do know that he has no affiliation (other than being a member) and that he does not speak for the Church, right?

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    July 1, 2014 8:38 a.m.

Shut down the Tribune? You say that like that is a bad thing.

• FatherOfFour WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    July 1, 2014 9:00 a.m.

RedWings,

He actually stays pretty close to what I've heard many church leaders say, and 99% of the church's membership as well. Also, being that the DN is church-owned it can reasonably be expected that their opinion is in line with the church's opinion. I do not believe the church would allow the DN to create editorials that are contradictory to the church's teachings.And I definitely don't believe that the writers at the DN would even want to do that. So, listen to Glenn Beck, Mike Lee, Jason Chaffetz, and read the Deseret News and you can get a pretty decent understanding of the church's teachings.

• Bill McGee Alpine, UT
    July 1, 2014 9:11 a.m.

The Salt Lake Tribune is a critical voice in the intermountain West. The Deseret News increasingly represents the editorial bias of its owner - the LDS Church. Another voice is essential. The argument that the new contract is not designed to hurt the Tribune seems disingenuous when one looks at the terms of the deal. The Deseret News has wanted the Trib to go away since 1873, when it encroached on the LDS Church's monopoly on regional news. It has been a vital counterpoint to this region ever since, and must be protected.

• regis Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2014 9:14 a.m.

The Tribune is Salt Lake's version of MSNBC: Non-stop bashing of anything and anyone conservative. Celebration and glorification of anything and anyone liberal.

• Buzzards LEHI, UT
    July 1, 2014 9:21 a.m.

@Bill McGee: "Must be protected"? Since when does a newspaper, or ANY business have an inherent right to exist? A few years ago, I ran my own business, loved doing it, and thought I was providing a service that my customers valued. I wish more would have valued it because it eventually went belly up for lack of revenue. No one protected my little business.
    If the SLTribune wants to continue existing, it might want to find a formula that will sell more papers. Even if you loathe Mormons and hate the Deseret News, they found that formula and are one of the few print newspapers with increasing circulation.

• Shaking my head Nephi, UT
    July 1, 2014 9:45 a.m.

Sad sad society we live in that a Lawsuit like this is even possible. *FROWN*

• Balan South Jordan, Utah
    July 1, 2014 9:50 a.m.

My problem with the Tribune is that it seemingly survives off of the anti-LDS sentiment of many in SLC. Every day - and I mean EVERY DAY there is a new article, front page, about the LDS Church. Doesn't matter if it is negative or positive, before long there are hundreds and hundreds of posts, the majority of which are mindless, hate-filled comments about anything and anyone LDS.

I am not advocating that the Tribune go away. These people have a right to express their opinions - and I am sure it makes them feel good to do so.

I simply choose to not read the Tribune anymore. Nothing there for me.

• A_Chinese_American Cedar Hills, UT
    July 1, 2014 9:50 a.m.

Who care if the SL Tribune is anti-Mormon or pro-Mormon. If it has a valuable reader circle who would provide financial support for its existence. Why any propaganda paper like SL Tribune needs to be protected? Just because its anti-Mormon tone in general?

• cval Hyde Park, UT
    July 1, 2014 10:14 a.m.

@Red Wings: Don't ever count on any politician or media personality to tell you what the LDS Church teaches. It is way too easy to get to the actual LDS teachings online to depend on someone else to give you their version... especially those with political agenda's.

I truly doubt that Glenn Becks commentary is 99% in line with what the Church teaches, and every politician, even committed LDS politicians are aligned with political parties. (See the polar political opposites, Mike Lee and Harry Reid).

• Kings Court Alpine, UT
    July 1, 2014 10:24 a.m.

If they are there to save the Tribune and journalism, then why as the staff been so drastically reduced over the last few years and the bulk of the Tribune's profits going to fund staff increases at the DesNews? I'm sorry, but most people aren't stupid. The only reason the DesNews is saying this is due to the fact that an anti-trust ruling could come down against them if they didn't say they were playing nice. Think about how ridiculous it sounds. Imagine McDonald's saying that it is taking the bulk of Burger King's profits in order to save it? lol

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2014 10:27 a.m.

RE: Bill McGhee "The Salt Lake Tribune is a critical voice in the intermountain West. The Deseret News increasingly represents the editorial bias of its owner - the LDS Church. "

This is true. Increasingly the Deseret News is a paper by Mormons FOR Mormons. I guess the "Gentiles" can just go hang.

I read the D-News and the Trib everyday. I need them for comparison.

Going back to when the D-News became a morning paper, I think the D-News has been plotting the end of the Trib for years.

And indeed, why the secrecy?

• Clarissa Layton, UT
    July 1, 2014 10:47 a.m.

As a member of the LDS church, I love the Deseret News. I'm interested in church goings on and other stuff that I can't find in the Tribune, which is far too liberal for me. I have no problem with the Tribune existing, but they need to get more readers if they want to continue to keep on going.

• RedWings CLEARFIELD, UT
    July 1, 2014 11:02 a.m.

Father of Four -

Thanks for the clarification. I was not indending any offense, just wasn't sure I understood your post.

cval -

Agreed. I served with a bishopric counselor who stayed with only what was said or written by the Prophet. Despite what some would say, Church leaders stay out of most political debates. They allow us our agency so they really don't direct us in all things.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2014 11:21 a.m.

"Deal with Deseret News designed to save, not hurt Tribune." Why does the Tribune need saving - that is the question - considering that the Trib has twice the circulation as the Deseret News. Is is because the Trib is expected to support itself and the D-news is subsidized?

• FelisConcolor North Salt Lake, UT
    July 1, 2014 11:32 a.m.

And in that sense, the future doesn't look too bright for the Trib. Their business model is tailored to appeal to the fervent and noisy but relatively small former/anti-Mormon demographic. While this gives them a solid, reliable base of subscribers, it restricts them from increasing their market share with other groups -- especially LDS readers.

Constant Mormon-bashing might play well in the Avenues and at the U, but it's a lousy strategy if you want to sell more papers in Davis or Utah Counties -- or even in Herriman or Riverton.

• CylonesRus sunamn, IN
    July 1, 2014 11:36 a.m.

If people do not like consolidation, they need to get out and sell the subscriptions, and those who do not like the DN should support it or do not cry if it goes out of business. In both Cincinnati (Enquirer) and Indianapolis (Star), there is only one paper in each of those locations, both are center-left in their editorial and they wonder why they are losing subscribers. Parents who have children should subscribe to a print paper, it will help on several fronts, one of which an interest in community in a positive way, thus less prone to gravitate to baser instincts.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    July 1, 2014 11:45 a.m.

To "cval" yes, Glenn Beck's views that he expresses on his shows are very much in line with the LDS teachings.

LDS church tells its members to have an emergency supply of food and money, GB does the same thing.

LDS church tell us to love our neighbors. GB held a rally with the theme of restoring love for ALL our neighbors.

LDS church tells us to look for what we have in common with our neighbors to help unite us. GB has been telling us to do the same with political issues.

What does GB teach or do that is contrary to LDS teachings and doctrine?

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2014 11:51 a.m.

If the tribune is soo important for the "non-Mormon" "secular" etc. Then why doesn't anyone read it? That's all it boils down to. If people actually read the tribune, it wouldn't have financial issues. Then again, this is a foreign concept to left wing people, that believe all things come from a big bloated government.

• ConWar Phoenix/USA, AZ
    July 1, 2014 11:59 a.m.

The first sign that you are not dealing with a fair news outlet with the Tribune is the fact that they have a permanent category for "polygamy" at the top of their website. In fact, it is listed 4th in importance on their site right behind "Utah, "Nation/World", "Politics", and "Justice".

Apparently there is enough breaking news on the polygamy front to necessitate its own category/heading.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 1, 2014 12:19 p.m.

When people discovered automobiles and no longer needed buggy whips, the buggy whip industry collapsed and died.

Perhaps we are watching people discover they no long need printed newspapers, and circulations for most are dropping steadily (and have been for years), and most will inevitably go out of business.

The Deseret News, however, has been very innovative and successful in pairing its news and advertising functions with radio, TV and on line marketing and delivery. It is prospering, and circulation is strong, unlike the isolationists in the Tribune with their one note chorus of condemnation of conservatives.

In this wonderful free country, consumers can spend their dollars buying the Deseret News, The Salt Lake Tribune, the New York Time, Washington Post, or Provo Herald. Or, all of the above, some of them, or none of them.

I pay for a subscription to the print edition of the Deseret News, which best delivers news and commentary that I believe to be relatively accurate, reliable and perceptive. (Although still a bit too far left for my taste when regurgitating all the Associated Press propaganda.)

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2014 12:21 p.m.

@FatherOfFour
    "I have seen really bad anti-LDS comments there too. But likewise I have seen very mean-spirited and hateful comments here against anyone who isn't LDS. "

Yeah, but here it's a smaller volume and degree thanks to the moderators. Even as an ex-Mormon I'm repulsed by a sizable percentage of what gets said over on the Trib's comments (the articles are fine with a few exceptions in my opinion, must like the case with DN's articles).

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2014 12:30 p.m.

Re: Liberal Ted "Then why doesn't anyone read it? That's all it boils down to. If people actually read the tribune, it wouldn't have financial issues. "

Well, things are a lot more complicated than that, as usual. The Trib got into trouble when its former owners tried to make a fast buck manipulating their stock. These folks lost their ownership of the Trib and the D-News swooped down in to take advantage. This continues to be the case.

The Trib has to survive as a NEWSPAPER, selling access to information. The Deseret News on the other hand can survive by being a religious tract in essence. This is not to say the D-News has no news, it does, but a lot of it is snatch and grab stuff off of the wire. Moreover, the D-News has an ultraconservative propaganda sheet for an editorial page.

The main reason I read the D-news is because I enjoy having my views challenged. Also, it is where I go to see what my fellow LDS think. The D-News, giving it some credit, also has a lively format the Trib could learn from. I want BOTH papers.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    July 1, 2014 12:48 p.m.

I love news, but only if it is truthful. A long time ago, I realized that all "news" is slanted. The outlet does not necessarily give an unbiased look at the world, but it should be truthful and it should be fair. For that reason, I don't expect the Tribune to be a news source. It serves more as an opposing point of view. That's fine. There is opposition in all things. If opposition is seen as a point of view and not as a compilation of all the facts, then opposition helps us come to the truth. The problem is when uninformed readers "swallow" the rhetoric without measuring that rhetoric against standards. Then the gullible are deceived.

Read widely, but fact check the article. Even the Tribune gets it right - occasionally.

• Left Field Cocoa Beach, FL
    July 1, 2014 12:52 p.m.

"Why any propaganda paper like SL Tribune needs to be protected? Just because its anti-Mormon tone in general?"
    - A_Chinese_American

"Oh, no reason at all."
    - Editorial staff at the Nauvoo Expositor

• rawlshea1 salt lake city, UT
    July 1, 2014 12:56 p.m.

The lawsuit and the use of behind the scene power (Hatch to ATT) reflects the unfortunate reality we live in today. The wealthy and those in power (closely correlated) don't want their self serving moves revealed. A free society needs free access to platforms where ideas can be propounded and debated. With a less vigorous press we are moving away from this model at our peril.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    July 1, 2014 12:58 p.m.

There is a small hard-core contingent in this area that diametrically opposes anything to do with the LDS church. They see the Tribune as their media voice and ANY change in its status as a threat by the church to silence opposition. Their paranoia would be funny if it were not so sad.

Bill McGee,
    Another voice is vital? What if it were the voice of a strongly anti-Semitic or apartheid group, would it still be considered vital? The trib’s editorial voice is that of its strong anti-LDS editorial board.

You talk of a news monopoly? How are you responding to this story, through a letter to the editor, or through the internet. There is no such thing as a news monopoly with the internet.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    July 1, 2014 1:14 p.m.

Iron Rod,

I first read about this new JOA when it was being negotiated in October 2013. There has been no secrecy. I said to myself back then that this would create controversy. I hope the Tribune survives. Although I don't agree with her, I have appreciated the Tribune's cover of Kate Kelly and her excommunication from the LDS Church. To be quite frank, I think the LDS Church wants the Tribune to report on issues that they themselves are uncomfortable with but realize need reporting.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    July 1, 2014 1:14 p.m.

The beauty of freedom of speech and the press, is you eventually find out what is really in people's hearts. I learned that young, and it's proven itself so many times through the years.

The Trib has a long history of providing an alternate view to the Des News.

Both are valuable and worthy of continuity, especially given this historical (but declining) influence of the dominant religion in their circulation area and audience. Des News tends to read like a house organ for the Church in some sections, but generally is a pretty respectable secular newspaper as well. Different editorial biases, but that's true at all media outlets everywhere; there are none perfectly objective.

That their new management is choosing a different path for their income stream and product, the above remains in place and that's a good thing. Sad it involved some layoffs and asset sales.

Long live the Trib, and Des News but better still, long live people having a public voice. That is what America is really about.

May they both prosper in their chosen paths.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2014 2:16 p.m.

Why did the Trib CEO give the D-news the right to refuse sale of the Trib to anyone the D-News does not approve?

The editorial independence of the Trib is virtually gone. Prepare to get one version of everything.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    July 1, 2014 2:30 p.m.

@FelisConcolor

"The local news market should be the entity which decides whether or not the Tribune stays in business, not the courts or the government. If there is a sufficient demand for the Trib's brand of journalism, then it will continue to exist."

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    July 1, 2014 2:33 p.m.

@LostinDC

"There is a small hard-core contingent in this area that diametrically opposes anything to do with the LDS church."

There are also many of us who are LDS who want actual "news" and not blog reports mixed with feature reports. The Trib is an actual newspaper while the DN is a sanitized feature publication.

• Brent T. Aurora CO Aurora, CO
    July 1, 2014 3:09 p.m.

This from the perspective from the other side of the mountain. Here in Denver we had two papers; for years they were at WAR (as a former employee I attest to the appropriateness of that word for it -- down dirty, vindictive, bitter). Now we barely have one. Print newspapers are a dying breed (the above reader analogy to horse n' buggy going away with the advent of cars is appropriate).

While I read (online, free) the Deseret News, through other websites I catch links to the SL Tribune and appreciate their articles for what they are -- a clearly different editorial bias. And having two or more sources is to be highly valued. So I don't dislike the Trib or wish for its demise.

But these are difficult times for newspapers and it is (and will be) extremely rare for SLC to remain with two papers. Key to their joint survival is that they don't waste their resources competing (pooling those efforts where they can) and that they apply their efforts to journalistic integrity and keeping their divergent voices. And, facing reality, they both get out the print business. This amended JOA moves in that direction.

• Francis LeGuarde Sandy, UT
    July 1, 2014 3:19 p.m.

Surprise, surprise - There are two sides to the JOA story after all! I don't fault the Tribune for covering the new JOA and discussing its potential impact, but its staff and supporters are overeager to play victim.

Like many transactions between privately held companies, the new JOA negotiations were conducted in secret. Why wouldn't they be? Strong journalism is a public service, but the Justice Department doesn't require a public comment period on proposed JOA changes.

The pettiness of Save the Tribune's website and lawsuit is astounding! They call the JOA "diabolical" and claim the "Tribune will be dead in months." They provide zero evidence of malicious intent nor evidence of the Tribune's impending death. Unless both CEOs perjured themselves, the new JOA will do more to save the Tribune than activist supporters ever will.

• micawber Centerville, UT
    July 1, 2014 4:39 p.m.

Brent T,

Thank you for your insightful perspective.

Many cities are down to one newspaper. I surmise (with no first hand evidence) that the DesNews has not been profitable for some time, but continues because its owner thinks it is an important voice. That is perfectly appropriate. Two local newspapers are better than one, in my opinion. But if the owners of the Tribune get to the point where they can't make a profit, I don't see there's much anyone can do about it.

• WestGranger West Valley City, Utah
    July 1, 2014 5:57 p.m.

Blatant prejudice against the Mormon church is what appears to behind the lawsuit. Unfounded suspicions that are completely founded. It's the deep seeded and bitter "blame the Mormons for everything" mentality that exists in some quarters that helped spread the misinformation and that is behind all the hyperbole.It's a product of the ideological world of the antiestablishmentarians.

• EL TAB Orem, UT
    July 1, 2014 6:40 p.m.

These comments could just as easily be put in an article about the Utah-BYU football rivalry...both are somewhat somewhat childish!

• U-tar Woodland Hills, UT
    July 1, 2014 7:51 p.m.

The reason that the Trib is going broke is that you don't even have to read it any more to know what it contains on any given day. You already know that it's writers dislike the LDS Church, and their articles will reflect those sentiments on almost all issues. You also know that those who post comments on the electronic version seem to belong to the whiners club about anything religious in nature. The paper is predictable, and therefore, actually boring because you already know that their little formula of jabbing at the Mormons will satisfy a certain percent of Utah's population. Trouble is, that percentage just isn't big enough to show a profit through readership.

• Strider303 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2014 8:40 p.m.

I really don't care if the sltrib survives or not. I have read it on occasion over the years and the anger, and anti-religion, anti-Mormon, liberal slant does not attract me nor my pocket book.

Hardly anyone who is crying for two editorial voices would whisper a word of support if the desnews were in financial straits.

Much of the problems of the sltrib's current predicament are the result of the original owners selling the paper with intent of repurchasing it but the deal went south and here we are in the throes of capitalistic intrigue with the owners seeking profits from their privately held business.

Maybe a "save the trib" bake-sale is in order.

Life happens, and we get to watch in this case.

• oddman ,
    July 1, 2014 9:11 p.m.

Hey folks, don't all businesses, whether the beer battles, or the burger wars are trying to gain a bigger market share than it competitors. Those who find a need or a niche and fill it do well and those who don't fail. I fail to see the need for any business to shore up its competitor unless the two businesses complement each other.

• JayTee Sandy, UT
    July 1, 2014 9:52 p.m.

"Gotta save the 'Trib . . . gotta save the 'Trib!" Are you crazy? The "Trib" is the poorest excuse for actual journalism that can be imagined. It has a strong following from all the local socialists, communists, and atheists in the area, but anyone with any ability to reason can tell right away that it's anything but journalism, and the writers and commentators are interested in anything but truth. It's a silly liberal rag that gets worse every year, and we can easily do without it.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    July 2, 2014 7:00 a.m.

Doesn't anyone see the sarcasm in what Bill McGee said? I can't believe anyone took what he said seriously.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    July 2, 2014 7:04 a.m.

Without the JOA, the Trib would die. And it would be a fast death. I'd allow these former disgruntled Trib employees to buy the Trib, dismantle the JOA, and let them run the Trib on their own. The Trib would be dead within a year.

• Bifftacular Spanish Fork, Ut
    July 2, 2014 1:11 p.m.

Reading the comments section on Trib articles reminds me so much of my younger days staring into the carp pond at Lagoon. The pond was full of what appeared to be starving carp. If anything (and I mean anything) was tossed into the pond, the carp would immediately roil around it in a frenzy... thrashing at it to get a piece of whatever it was. Then they would drift to the bottom until the next item was tossed in and the scene would repeat. I still see the frenzy today only now it is now on the Trib's reader comment page in the form of a relatively small, but fanatic group (most I would bet are former members of the Mormon church) who detest anything and all things Mormon. Because one "mormon" article can easily generate 200-500 comments, it appears the Trib's viewership is much larger than it really is when in fact it is the same hardcore group moving from "Mormon" article to "Mormon" article and commenting over and over again. I think it is clear why the Trib struggles.

• FelisConcolor North Salt Lake, UT
    July 2, 2014 1:23 p.m.

@CHS 85:

"Let's see how well the DN will do without an infusion of money from souces other than circulation subscriptions."

Well, since Utah is roughly 2/3 LDS, their potential market is twice as big as the Trib's, so the Deseret News has a lot more potential subscribers, regardless of any subsidy from the LDS Church.

And the LDS Church is a private organization. They are free to spend their money on whatever they deem important, including their newspaper. Just as wealthy supporters of the Tribune are free to provide their own subsidies to their newspaper if they felt it was that important.

But it's easier and cheaper for Trib supporters to get the courts to do their dirty work.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    July 2, 2014 2:00 p.m.

To "FelisConcolor" not to take away from what you say, the proper response is that the neither the DN or Trib could exist based on circulation subscriptions.

The DN gets a large portion of its revenues primarily through print advertisements paid for by the advertisers, and through online advertisements. To help cut costs, they merged KSL TV and Radio news room with the DN so that they could minimize overhead costs. In other words, they made themselves very lean.

The Trib gets some money from print advertisements, but as they pointed out, they get $500,000 from online ads. If it wasn't for the advertisements, they would have folded years ago. Unlike the DN, the Trib has not merged with a radio or TV news team to cut costs. The cost to get local news is higher for them, and will eventually kill them unless they can increase print subscriptions.

• webworking Springville, UT
    July 3, 2014 1:45 p.m.

Hilarious - the left always accuses the right of being conspiracy theorists, and look who's engaged in the biggest conspiracy theory of all - the big bad Mormon church is out to get the Trib when the Trib itself says that the agreement saved the Trib! Priceless.

• On the other hand Riverdale, MD
    July 5, 2014 7:20 a.m.

I enjoy reading the Deseret News, and I think they do a good job catering to their core demographic (of which I'm a constituent). For their own sake, I hope they're profitable, but I recognize that the church may choose to run the paper at a loss for a number of reasons, including its value as a PR platform and as part of its SEO strategy.

When controversial events related to the church crop up, I like to see what the Tribune has to say. As much as I like the Deseret News, I've observed that the DN's reporting on such events will either be very limited or strongly biased in favor of the church. I feel like the Trib's stories, coupled with the DN stories, give me a more complete understanding of the viewpoints on all sides of the issue. (I suspect the church is grateful to have this outside perspective as well.) For that reason alone, I would hate to see the Trib disappear, even though I generally prefer the Deseret News.

• firstamendment Lehi, UT
    July 5, 2014 2:09 p.m.

Someone mentioned that the Tribune claims to delete hateful comments etc. but what they really do is disable the accounts of those who resist evil or of those who dare to kindly stand up to their bullying tactics etc. I thought this comment was a joke "...(we) have already infiltrated your puny Tribune to stop anyone who tries to expose our eventual rise to power. Once we finally gain full control of the White House (which is already in our pocket, thanks to Obama)...putting a stop to discrimination based on sexual orientation! The most evil conspiracy ever enacted! You can never stop us." but I started to wonder what is really going on there when, right after that was posted by someone with leverage there, I found that my Tribune account had been disabled, AGAIN. So I didn't go back, why support the propaganda machine?

• LovelyDeseret Gilbert, AZ
    July 6, 2014 6:18 a.m.

So a group thinks there is a big conspiracy to end a newspaper that is having financial problems? You could file that lawsuit in every city and state in America.