Faith

Duce's Wild: Addressing 'Come, Follow Me' misconceptions

Comments

• David Centerville, UT
    June 28, 2014 7:13 a.m.

Thank you for sharing this. I am grateful to have the opportunity to engage with the young men in my ward on Sundays. They are fun, happy, friendly, and know a lot about the gospel. I have noticed a dramatic difference in the quorum as we try to teach and create an environment that follows the principles of Come Follow Me. The young men are much more involved, teaching one another. And there has developed greater trust between them, more acceptance.

• Mom of 8 Hyrum, UT
    June 28, 2014 3:24 p.m.

There are always practical and logistical bugs to iron out when a new program goes in, especially when generations of members have been doing things the old, comfortable way.

I imagine the approach to lessons and the ability to teach will improve over the years as we all recognize that discussion is better than lecture. We're just slow to adapt, but we're trying.

• Heart and Mind BUENA VISTA, VA
    June 29, 2014 9:18 a.m.

I was thinking this morning how great our Sunday School lessons would become if teaching assignments were roulette-based and each and everyone of us prepared during the prior week to be ready to teach the lesson and then when the class convened one was randomly selected to lead the discussion. Our collective Gospel scholarship would skyrocket!

• cowshed Provo, Utah
    June 29, 2014 6:21 p.m.

I don't know about evaluation of individual teachers, but in serving in the presidency of a small MTC in one of the areas of the Church, I get to see new missionaries in action every Sunday during the 4 -6 weeks they are here. we listen to they talks in Sacrament Meetings, attend their gospel doctrine classes where they meet as a district and take turns teaching each other, and have a chance to interact with them in Priesthood and Relief Society lessons. In my estimation the Come Follow Me program gets very good grades. These missionaries, who come from dozens of different countries, including the US, and speak half a dozen languages in their homelands, are very well prepared and are able to teach each other and lead discussions about gospel topics, bear their testimonies in various kinds of situations. They are much better prepared than most of us were many years ago when I served as a young missionary.

• DenMom Corvallis, MT
    June 30, 2014 9:04 a.m.

Listened to the episode on the Mormon Channel this morning … awesome. Except, can't find it anywhere listed to share it with others. I hope that changes soon.

• readerdownsouth Buckeye, AZ
    June 30, 2014 8:28 p.m.

I love the Come Follow Me program, but it has one important flaw: There is no captioning/subtitling on iPads, which is the most common means of showing a video in classrooms. I cannot understand the messages without being able to read the words, and while we do have interpreters for most classes, they are not good enough to capture the details of the audio script as the video is playing. I now have a 12 year old son who is in the same situation of not being able to understand audio scripts without captions - it makes me very sad and nervous about how well the quorum will be able to keep him engaged.