NBA Draft: Utah Jazz get lucky with Dante Exum, Rodney Hood

Comments

• Hoosier87 American Fork, UT
    June 26, 2014 6:11 p.m.

I LOVE this pick - nice job Jazz!

This kid will bring in (back) a lot of fans. I for one am excited to see him play.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 26, 2014 6:14 p.m.

I didnt understand the pick...knowing the fact that...Exum wanted to play for the Lakers...i dont know...i just have this sick feeling that he wont be with utah after his rookie contract

• 1991Jazzfan Provo/USA, UT
    June 26, 2014 6:28 p.m.

Another PG!!! He's a kid, another player we are going to have to wait on to see if he is going to be any good. We needed a Center or Power Forward this is just another sign that Jazz ownership really doesn't care about who the put out on the floor. It seems like we have good coach now that Corbin is gone!!!. Noah Vonleh is Still on the board Just Saying..... As along time Jazz fan I'm sick of seeing the Jazz being stupid with their picks. Although the guy that is in Charge of the Jazz now built the San Antonio Spurs and they just won another title their 5th in 15 years so hopefully he knows something that we don't.

• scalman Temecula, CA
    June 26, 2014 6:45 p.m.

Fantastic potential. long and quick, very young, very unproven, this is an intriguing, possibly astute pick. I think that the Jazz were thinking Embiid, Gordon, then Exum, but who knows, this kid could turn out to be an awesome NBA player. Barring an injury, he won't play much this coming year, so let's see who the Jazz go for next.

• Jazz Source Alpine, UT
    June 26, 2014 7:03 p.m.

Easy choice.

The best player available. You don't draft need in the top 5....you take the best player available and many predicted Exum would not be available when we made our #5 selection.

Trey Burke better step up his game last year vs this year or he may be out of here. Trey struggled with length and getting inside. The Jazz got this year what they wanted last year.

Should be interesting.

• Edogg Washington Washington, UT
    June 26, 2014 7:05 p.m.

Ya. He was projected to be a game changer but I'm having second thoughts. If I was going point guard, Smart would have been my guy. I just have a gut wrenching feeling about this pick. I think Trey could mop the floor with this guy.

• Edogg Washington Washington, UT
    June 26, 2014 7:09 p.m.

In defense of Jazz management, I was upset at the picks before Exum, and the picks after. I just wanted all the top 8 to come give a go at Utah. Make a decision then. The draft is a crap shoot no matter how you look at it. Sometimes your lucky, most of the time your not.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 26, 2014 7:42 p.m.

@Edogg Washinton

I dont think Trey Burke could mop the floor with Exum...i mean...trey burke couldnt finish against NBA bigs...and Exum is a huge question mark...sort of like Enes Kanter...i guess we are drafting unknowns...for an unknown future...i dunno...im sitting here..not knowing if i am happy about it...or not...but i have faith in Lindsey...and i want him to at least build his team i'll give it a shot....the GM of the pistons...assembled the bad boys for 10 years...San Antonio lucked out on the draft...they got Duncan...and a returning david robinson...plus...they got great scouts...getting manu and parker...and stealing kawhi....to be honest...i thought we would get kawhi rather than burks...but...im still good with burks...but with the Exum pick...Burks might be thinking he'll be the 6th man again...

• INTELLECTUAL Salt Lake, UT
    June 26, 2014 7:48 p.m.

why didn't we pick Julius Randle??? We don't even know if Exum can play.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    June 26, 2014 7:52 p.m.

Well this Utah Jazz draft pick can be defined by many different words, I know which one I would chose, which one would you?
    Sneaky, Sly, Risky, Well informed, Great Potential, Smart, Forward Thinkings, Creditiable or my choice...Not again!!!

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    June 26, 2014 8:10 p.m.

Great pick! ESPN kept reporting that the Lakers were going to get Exum. Truth is, we need him a whole lot more. This kid could really be special.

Welcome to Jazz Nation, Dante!

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    June 26, 2014 8:45 p.m.

GoRed

And you know this kid could really be special...and you know this, how?

• AFCoug Colorado Springs, CO
    June 26, 2014 8:46 p.m.

Great pick Jazz. This kid showed up at the combine and Jazz scouted the U19 games last year where Exum shined. He can play the 1 or 2 but I believe the Jazz will play him alongside Burke. Bring Burks off the bench or play these 2 side by side with Exum at the 1. Any way you slice it burke, burks, and Exum make the Jazz guards dangerous.

Hood was a steal at 23. Most experts had him in the mid teens. This guy can shoot and was only 2nd to Parker on Duke. Finally a shooter for the Jazz. He is a significant upgrade and he should backup Hayward if Hayward sticks around. Add a big in free agency and the Jazz are instantly a better team. Exum could be very special. Some have said the next Kobe or Mcgrady. I'll take either!

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 26, 2014 8:57 p.m.

@GoRed

i dont think Exum is here for the longhaul...im pretty sure he'll just finish his rookie contract...he didnt even attend his supposed scheduled workout here...i think Exum is a big risk...when he played against the likes of Aaron Gordon and Elfrid Payton on the Under 19 tournament...he only scored 7 pts in 15 mins of play against team USA...though i heard comparisons of a young Penny Hardaway...we simply just dont have enough game footage to determine that...plus the quality of the players he played against...one thing that i recall watching clips from draftexpress...is that...he dribbles mostly on his right...finishes with his right...and passes with his right...im still not sold on the pick...we could've traded down...and drafted vonleh...and PJ Hairston...

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    June 26, 2014 9:01 p.m.

I am rethinking my remarks about our pick, It finally dawned on me that the Jazz are looking to move up higher in the lottery draft pick next year...they are looking to add to their ping pong ball total for a better chance at number one.

My bad.

• TexasCoug Midland, TX
    June 26, 2014 9:41 p.m.

Exum pick was risky, but it's hard to deny his athleticism and upside. I would rather the jazz had drafted a big at #5 like Vonleh or Randle, because Favors needs help with interior defense. We just don't know how long Exum will take to develop and the Jazz rebuilding just keeps getting extended. Hood was a good pick up at #23. I think he still is improving his game and should end up being a strong back up or starter in his career. Definitely he will provide some nice depth and improve shooting, since Hayward may or may not be there. I would have loved to have gotten Napier at 23 as well though. Lebron may be right that Napier will end up being the best PG in the draft. I would have taken Vonleh with Hood/Napier. Now we just need to get some bigs in free agency and some toughness defensive minded players.

• Krispy Zadoosh Salt Lake, UT
    June 26, 2014 9:50 p.m.

@veracity
    If only the Jazz had got your opinion before the draft.

• Whitebread Platte City, MO
    June 26, 2014 9:50 p.m.

I can't believe some of the comments I am reading! Great draft for the Jazz! I am excited about the potential of both of these picks. Listen, the Jazz management has access to information that we are not. They are not stupid...there is a reason they are making a living doing this and we are all out here writing about it. I trust them and am excited about what is to come with this Jazz team in the future. GO JAZZ!!!!

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    June 26, 2014 9:53 p.m.

The Jazz continue to amaze.

The Jazz just drafted Kobe and Kawhi...

Right?

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    June 26, 2014 9:54 p.m.

I am so stoked for this pick! I don't get how anyone who follows basketball could not love this pick for Utah. The Jazz need a superstar and Exum was the only player available who has super star and not just all star potential.

And getting Hood and 23 makes this a perfect draft for Utah!

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    June 26, 2014 10:09 p.m.

Exum was the best player available at #5. I wanted Aaron Gordon but he went #4. Favors, Kanter, Burks, Burke and Hayward should all be better next year. You hope that Hood and Exum are an upgrade for the bench and that Lindsey can bring in one more player through free agency and find a hidden gem that didn't get drafted. But if the young players don't improve over last year, then it will be a long season. Hayward and Favors need to have breakout seasons. Not a Jimmer fan but he would fill seats and help with outside scoring in what could be another bad year.

• Live-In-AZ ,
    June 26, 2014 10:58 p.m.

I love the picks! Teams with smarts are moving towards 2 point guards in the back court that can slash, pass or pop. Exum has the size to fill the 2 but I believe its going to be a back court structured much like the Suns had last year with 2 "PGs" playing a bulk of the minutes. When the Jazz played Burke and Burks it was when they played their best, and the mindset is the same. I see Burke, Burks and Exum being an amazing guard line for several years to come.

Hood was a steal. An amazing steal really. The guy can flat out shoot any where on the court and he is super of the pick and roll.

If it were me, I would not pay Hayward what he thinks he's worth. With Hood the Jazz now have more leverage and should consider sign and trade offers if he gets to expensive. I consider sign and trades that help Favors and Kanter. I think Boston may have an asset or two that may work in this area.

Nice draft Jazz!

• Captain L Provo, UT
    June 26, 2014 11:10 p.m.

It is obvious by some of the negative comments that those commenting haven't been following the draft and what the experts/scouts etc have been and are saying about Exum, he is thought of as a potential franchise type player with elete size for his postion, with speed, quickness and a great 1st step. Like all these kids, only time will tell but Wiggins , Embid & Gordon were all picked on potential. Exum should start on the bench IMO and learn from Burke, and maybe push himself into a starting role by mid season. I think the starting line up for the Jazz next yr will be what it was at the end of the year last year, Kanter, Favors, Hayward, Burks, Burke, that being said, I hope they can sign someone so Hayward can return to playing the 2, that is his best position. I'm hoping Gobert has the kind of summer he needs to get stronger and push himself into the rotation, he could be a difference maker on the D end.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    June 26, 2014 11:16 p.m.

Hood is not even close to Hayward yet, he may be some day but not close yet, the Jazz need Hayward, he does so many things well. I think Favors will come back this next year ready to prove he can be a star, I see him having a much better year, Kanter should improve alot too, I hope he shows off his 3 point shooting, which will open the floor up for Exum and Hayward to drive. I look forward to the summer league to see how Exum and Hood perform.
    CJMiles: I agree, Jimmer would be a good pickup for the Jazz he can shoot with anyone and would open the floor up but I dought the Jazz will do it they are afraid of the fans reactions to him.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 26, 2014 11:52 p.m.

Im still skeptical on Exum...if he stays and be the guy they say he could become...a young Penny Hardaway...then it is a good draft...but still...you have to be able to hold on to him and actually develop and have him play for at least 10 years within the team....i see him bolting after his rookie contract to a bigger market team...probably LA...

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    June 27, 2014 12:10 a.m.

Krispy Zadoosh

if only...

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    June 27, 2014 12:21 a.m.

Two outstanding picks. I truly looked at this draft as being--if you are unable to find a way to Wiggins or Parker, you take the very best basketball player available. The Jazz did this two times tonight and are going to bring two quality players to SLC who will BOTH contribute. Hood is a flat out steal! Outstanding person and leader and by far the best athlete available. Look for Wesley Matthews the second and we will see the rise of the next great Utah Jazz All Star in Dante Exum. Mark both down for long, productive careers or----I'll come on these posts and tell you why I was wrong.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    June 27, 2014 12:49 a.m.

Relax folks (and naysayers) I've watched almost every video I could find on Dante Exum and I'm telling you the kid is going to be terrific.

Here's why. He's quick. His first step is going to leave opponents stumbling to the floor as they try and keep up. He's tall (6'6"). His wingspan is terrific (6'9 1/2"). He is a decent defender. His passing / facilitating is, in my opinion, better than Trey Burke's.

Dante Exum's weak spot is his outside shot. It's only so, so . . . and I know why. His shots have very little arch to them, making it less likely the ball will go through the hoop. With some coaching, I'm certain he can improve.

Personally, I think this was a great draft for the Jazz, one of the best in the team's history.

• Jefe-Ute SLC, UT
    June 27, 2014 6:36 a.m.

I think many on here just don't follow the Jazz or basketball. This is the first draft in a very long time that I am actually excited about. The Jazz picks are fantastic! Honestly, many times after watching Duke play, I thought Hood looked like the better player than Parker. And there is a reason that EVERYONE thought that Exum would go top 3/4. Great picks for the Jazz. I was excited to see that Lindsey was willing to make a trade to move up as well. That is not typical Jazz and I love it!

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    June 27, 2014 8:37 a.m.

Why do I get the feeling certain posters had written up various versions of snarky, dismissive posts so they could be ready to roll no matter who the Jazz drafted? The only thing anyone knows for sure about this draft, or any other draft, is that no-one knows anything. We've seen plenty of top-three picks flame out and we've seen plenty of lower picks excel.

Teams prize size, athleticism and character for a reason, and Exum has all three. I have no idea if he'll be a star. Just like no-one here has any idea if he'll be a bust. Just as no-one knows what Randle, Smart, or Vonleh will turn out to be. There was no immediate obvious franchise-changer on the board, so you take the guy your research says is the best bet.

Yet some of you seem to have grand opinions of your own wisdom, no doubt while working in a cubicle somewhere and catching a game on TV once in a while. Please.

• CougarColby Fort Benning, GA
    June 27, 2014 8:59 a.m.

Haters are crazy to think that Exum wasn't a good pick. His size and speed is unparallelled in this draft. I'm not sure what his future holds after his rookie deal, but look at Hayward. There is a chance he is gone and we all thought he would be the country kid that stuck around in Utah forever. The only person in this draft that might have stayed his career in Utah was Parker, but we didn't want to give up what was necessary to get him.

At best you can see Exum looking like a larger Tony Parker, quick slasher who can defend. He needs to work on his shot and continue to develop as a player like all rookies do.

Don't know much about Hood, but the analysts said he was a steal at 23, so hopefully that is a good sign!

I may watch a game or two this year now.

• ed Los Olivos, CA
    June 27, 2014 9:06 a.m.

Thanks SlopJ. You said it all very well. Clearly, Jazz management has better view than the second-guessers in their cubicles.

• TanMan_101 West Jordan, UT
    June 27, 2014 9:45 a.m.

Sheesh people! Reading these comments is ridiculous. It's too bad none of Jazz management listened to you people because from all your "expert" scouting reviews Dante Exum apparently is the worst player to ever be drafted. It's unbelievable how a top 3 talent comes to Utah and you guys can still complain about it. Wow.

• Brio Alpine, UT
    June 27, 2014 9:58 a.m.

Kudos to Jazz management. Just looking at online video and reports of these 2 picks, it seems obvious the Jazz took the best players available both times. Both were projected to go higher. Some had Exum as a top 3 pick or by 4 for sure. Hood was often slated as a late lottery pick in the 12-14 range. To get him at #23 was exceptional luck.

Overall, the Jazz truly lucked out with both picks... more so than they could've realistically hoped for going into the draft. For those in the know, the Jazz deserve sincere congratulations. I'm much more excited about this next season than I was 24 hours ago.

On top of a great draft day, the Jazz have lots of salary cap room to use during the free-agency period. They will undoubtedly pick up a couple of great contributers. The future is truly looking up for both the team and the fans. This is the most optimistic I've been for Jazz basketball in several years.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    June 27, 2014 10:06 a.m.

Rodney Hood was playing in the shadow of Jabari Parker at Duke. I think Jazz fans will be very pleased to see how good he really is. Don't be surprised if he starts contributing in a big way before Dante. Two great picks!

• Krispy Zadoosh Salt Lake, UT
    June 27, 2014 10:46 a.m.

Btw veracity, who should have they picked so we can all be enlightened?

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    June 27, 2014 10:54 a.m.

You can't expect rookies to turn around the team in one season. This team was too young at every position for that to happen. The Jazz have a ton of cap room. I don't see them spending any of it except on Hayward who better learn to defend or he will be a huge bust long term. Kanter too. Let's hope Evans makes huge improvements over last year.

Anyway, the Jazz need to go get Carmelo. That would change the team immediately.

• Brio Alpine, UT
    June 27, 2014 10:59 a.m.

@ TanMan_101:

Thankfully, some of the naysayers in this comment section aren't indicative of what Jazz fans generally felt about the pick of Exum. The fans at Energy Solutions Arena were basically unanimously excited about the pick with a big ovation as soon as the announcement was made. I never heard any boos or negative expressions at all from where I was. Getting Hood later on was also very well received.

As such, it would seem that those who care the most about Jazz basketball and actually follow college and international basketball realize and understand what a great draft this was for the Jazz. As to the online naysayers... they should generally be discarded and ignored as being the fairly low information tier of Jazz fans. Every team has a similar group who shouldn't be taken seriously.

• wyoming cougar Green River, WY
    June 27, 2014 12:39 p.m.

If nothing else, getting Exum with the 5th pick insured he wouldn't go to the lakers with the 7th and they really wanted him. We get a kid with great potential and upside and better yet, play spoiler to the lakers at the same time. Definitely a win-win, not just hopefully he becomes as great as predicted!

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    June 27, 2014 1:06 p.m.

CJ Miles says: "Anyway, the Jazz need to go get Carmelo . . "

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, and . . no.

Great scorer? Obviously? Culture-changer? Errrrm . . maybe, but not in the way you'd want. I don't think he's a bad guy per se, but he seems like a guy who needs to feel he's the alpha dog. I doubt he'll ever be the alpha dog on a title contender. What has he won so far? He's had one good playoff run in his career. Pass.

I'm not sure which is more laughable; the idea that the Jazz would pay top-dollar for 'Melo or the idea that he would consider signing here. Face it; even if you disagree with my assessment of him as a player, there's no way in Outer Darkness he's signing with the Jazz.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    June 27, 2014 1:47 p.m.

The Jazz need a Alpha Dog. There is no leadership, take over at the end of the game player on this team. Adding Carmelo would make this team a title contender over night. Everyone else would pick up their game with him on the team. Carmelo did win a championship in college. Face it, he was on bad Denver teams and now a bad NYK team. He hasn't had an opportunity to surround himself with any talent. The Jazz have talent but need Carmelo to bring it out on the court.

• Live-In-AZ ,
    June 27, 2014 2:20 p.m.

The Jazz now have at least an 8 man rotation if not 9. I don't see the Jazz doing a lot in free agency for a couple of reasons. First it will give the youngesters much needed playing time under a new system and coaching staff. Second, it saves the cap space to resign Kanter and Burks.

What will more likely happen is they take on more unwanted contracts to reach their minimum salary cap in exchange for future picks. Just like last years Golden State deal that yielded Hood for us this year. It doesn't mean those contract players need to play in Utah, just get paid in Utah. Just keep adding and tucking away those assets (draft picks) so that the Jazz become contenders at the right time, with the right players.

How about some more overpaid bench warmers?

• yerromnitsuj San Francisco, CA
    June 27, 2014 4:23 p.m.

Seriously, people? Exum was on most boards as the #3 pick after Embiid got hurt. I saw a bunch with him as high as #2 above Parker. He was an absolute steal. You're seriously complaining about a 6'6" with 6'9.5" wingspan PG with great ball handling skills and a killer first step? I'm dumbfounded about what people would have rather had the Jazz do.

And it goes without saying that Hood was a fantastic pick at #23.

• Zona Zone Mesa, AZ
    June 27, 2014 5:42 p.m.

@Kakashi @1991Jazzfan @Veracity

I'm guessing you booed Stockton when he was drafted too.

• Itsnotjustagame Cedar Hills, UT
    June 27, 2014 9:48 p.m.

byronbca is spot on. Exum was the only player on the board with any potential to be a superstar and that was the single most important thing to the Jazz this draft - get a potential superstar.

Sure we don't know if he'll pan out, we don't know if any of the players will work out, but it was the smartest pick with what we know at this time.

• bigirish OREM, UT
    June 28, 2014 12:22 a.m.

How did this kid get all those points we read he had in school and on the national team of Australia - if he can't shoot from outside? What kind of shots does he do best and to get those points? And what's happening to Marv and Richard and some of those vets we had? Who is saying we might not have the kid from Butler? I'm looking forward to some threes from Hood though. I'm not getting excited about Exum till I see him in action during the season start - and then some.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    June 28, 2014 10:39 p.m.

I agree we don't want Melo, CJMiles your back to your old ways, criticizing, Hayward is a very good defender, Kanter on the other hand does have a lot of work to do especially on the defensive end. In order for this team to have a much better year than last year the core 5 will all need to show improvement and I think they will. Go Jazz.