Rock On: Bronco gets his BYU on

Comments

• sportsrock Heber City, UT
    June 24, 2014 6:17 p.m.

I'm with Bronco on the Royal Blue! Wish BYU would go back to Royal Blue permanently!

• LouisD Las Vegas, NV
    June 24, 2014 10:41 p.m.

I absolutely detest the all whites. I hate them on the road and I really do not ever want to se them at home. Its football, not the Temple.

• never break .500 Los Angeles, CA
    June 24, 2014 11:49 p.m.

either solid blue or solid white both stink….mix it up. The special black uni's with mirror Y on helmet was great….no symbolism with all white…what's he talking about? Looks like Penn State and Sandusky are in town.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    June 25, 2014 8:13 a.m.

I wish Mendenhall would quit worrying about uniforms (Pride-Honor-Tradition ring a bell?) and worry more about beating P-5 schools on the schedule.

• Royal ACP Logan, UT
    June 25, 2014 9:16 a.m.

Why does everybody hate on the alternates? 1. It's for the players 2. It's fun to see the change-up! I can't stand the old-man blue, looks way too much like USU's blue. Can't believe they changed it so people could match BYU apparel with their clothes...

• Jefe-Ute SLC, UT
    June 25, 2014 9:24 a.m.

Bronco just hit an all-time low with his "all kinds of symbolism" talk with the all white uniforms. No, just because church members pay tithing doesn't mean the football team will win. No, wearing all white doesn't mean your football team is "pure". And no, it won't make a difference win or lose. This is football, not church. I understand it's a religious institution, but come on. Not a cool comment.

• Dave Duncan Orem, UT
    June 25, 2014 9:50 a.m.

I, too, love the royal blue. And I hate the all-whites. Royal blue was distinctive and recognizable. There are many teams with dark or navy blue, and the fact that USU already had it when we adopted it has always baffled me.

• 4Freedom Columbus, OH
    June 25, 2014 9:51 a.m.

Leave the royal blue in the past, where it belongs, please! The navy is so much better. I like the occasional all white unis but keep the symbolism in the locker room. Brings unwanted attention. I also like all navy blue unis occasionally. Don't care so much for the black uniforms. And yes, more than uniforms, let's focus on winning, on consistently beating great teams. That is the only way we can expect (and deserve) to be considered for a P-5 conference.

• sg newhall, CA
    June 25, 2014 10:26 a.m.

Royal blue or nothing at all and please, get rid of the all white uniforms. Ugly is what they are.

• red.diehard Central, UT
    June 25, 2014 10:45 a.m.

@Royal ACP
    We all know that the true Aggie Blue is far north of BYU. BYU blue is a cheap imitation.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    June 25, 2014 10:53 a.m.

Royals blue is the best but darkest shade of royal blue is #2.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    June 25, 2014 11:10 a.m.

All white means pure. All white is delight some in the eyes of many in the faith. Most of the BYU players are pure of heart and the others should be encouraged to be the same way. I don't see the problem.

• IDC Boise, ID
    June 25, 2014 11:25 a.m.

Anything the Cougars wear is easy on my eyes.

Bronco is a strange dude sometimes but I think he is a great coach and I hope he stays at BYU for a long time.

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    June 25, 2014 11:44 a.m.

Aggie Nation is behind bronco on this one too... go back to Royal!

• Cletus from Coalville Coalville, UT
    June 25, 2014 12:56 p.m.

Red is way cool because it makes teams prestegious and looks real neat during bowl games.

• David Centerville, UT
    June 25, 2014 1:12 p.m.

I like the Royal blue, all blue, all white, Navy blue, black and any combination. I don't care what they wear, just win.

Actually, I guess I do care about one uniform thing: the bibs. Don't ever bring those back. Please.

Other than that, just win.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    June 25, 2014 1:16 p.m.

"...all kinds of symbolism" conjures up all kinds of scary! ALL coaches misspeak at times. This too shall pass (I hope). Love Bronco. No one is perfect.

• ClarkeinAK Anchorage, AK
    June 25, 2014 2:28 p.m.

Bronco should stick to coaching and leave uniform decisions to someone else.

The job of head coach at a major program requires someone who works more than 9 to 5 Monday thru Friday and someone who uses every single hour the NCAA allots for practice to practice (especially for bowl games). Bronco does neither. So, rather than pondering the symbolism of white jerseys, maybe he can actually figure out how to beat teams that matter...even if he has to watch film all day and all night and make his team practice enough to prepare before bowl appearances.

• fan in orem Orem, UT
    June 25, 2014 2:31 p.m.

U-PAC: Say that again in understandable terms, please.

• kfbob SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    June 25, 2014 3:11 p.m.

@ jefe Ute

No just because BYU wears white and pays tithing doesn't mean they will win. True.

"this is football, not church" you are only partially correct.

BYU is one of the missionary tools of the church. Everything that is done is to teach and develop character in men and women and to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ. Uncomfortable for the Utes, especially LDS Utes? Perhaps. But that is the mission. My wife and I both participated in sports at BYU and as any former athlete will tell you that mission is crystal clear to the athletes. It should be just as clear to the Ball Room dance team and the engineering teams that compete in engineering competitions, that they are there to represent the values of BYU and the Gospel. Difficult for the LDS Utes? Perhaps.

The difficult part of being associate with any number of State Schools is that you are representing yourself, your team and your fans, which is fun and good. However I like the idea that BYU athletes and students are held to a higher standard, and advocating a higher cause.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    June 25, 2014 4:15 p.m.

kfbob:

Not uncomfortable at all. We LDS Utes (President Monson included) represent ourselves and our beliefs without having to point out which school we went to. We don't have sign or refer to an honor code or wear it on our sleeve as a badge of honor, we just live it. You are fooling yourself if you think you are held to a higher standard or advocate a higher cause just because you went to byu. All will be judged on their individual actions and what they did with their talents, NOT by which school you went to.

• CougOrUte..Naah Nibley, UT
    June 25, 2014 5:10 p.m.

Best looking uniforms the Cougs ever wore and became their trademark is the white helmet, white jerseys, and royal blue pants. To me, although I am not a Cougar fan, that uniform defines the Cougars during their marquee seasons. Messing with Aggie Blue did not work, all white looks weird, the all blacks were okay, but to me its the white and blue. The Cougars pounded a lot of teams wearing that uniform. Especially their friends on the hill. Although I am an Aggie fan, I watched a lot of Cougar Football over the years, and the white helmet, white jersey, and royal blue pants were their signature uniform. Hope the best for them this year...go Cougars, except when you play the Aggies.

• WhoRtheUtes??? Elko, NV
    June 25, 2014 5:51 p.m.

I like to see the different uniform looks during the year. A lot of the schools have been doing that over the past few years. "Go get em Cougs". Mark it down, It will be a great season...

• UtesRulePac12 Orem, UT
    June 25, 2014 6:26 p.m.

I love the dark blue. Much more intimidating than the old royal. Pastels never scared anyone.

• Jefe-Ute SLC, UT
    June 25, 2014 8:00 p.m.

@kfbob

Sorry but you are incorrect. We Utah fans who are LDS are not uncomfortable at all with the idea of BYU. I understand it more than you think. That is great that you were a former BYU athlete. I have friends who are former BYU athletes. I agree with vegas ute. I don't feel like I need to scream "purity" and "symbolism" and "I'm a BYU athlete and thus I am super awesome because I get to tell the world that I am more pure and holy than others and I hope that others recognize that and want to come to become part of a church where the athletes of BYU wear all white jerseys to tell everyone how they are pure and others are not." Stop telling everyone how awesome you are and just act like a member of the Church. I know plenty of people who did not adhere to the honor code at BYU and I know plenty of Utes that were amazing examples of members of the Church and vice versa. There is absolutely no need to scream symbolism in a simple football jersey. Talk football, act according to the commandments.

• JD Las Vegas, NV
    June 25, 2014 9:12 p.m.

Wow, Bronco got some new blonde highlights before the big media day in June. I think he might have lost his focus on the uniforms and is more about his appearance, blondes do have more fun!

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    June 25, 2014 9:21 p.m.

fan in orem: U-PAC was being facetious.

ClarkeinAK: I kind of feel the same way - I know Bronco's thinking, he wants to be a well rounded person in the Church, and put the Church first in his life. However, I would think he could delegate some of the things he does, such as the firesides, etc., to his assistants, and use the time preparing for the games. Use the players who will not be playing the nest day for the firesides, and those who will be playing use the time also to prepare for the games, as well. Those kinds of things. And as you indicated, use every minute allotted by the NCAA for preparation for the games - no time off because "they have been working hard and our practices went well this week".

• Elk Hair Caddis Sandy, UT
    June 25, 2014 10:33 p.m.

Lets be honest. If BYU had a decent home schedule this year, there would be no talk of uniform colors. This is all about deflecting attention from a dreadful home schedule. When they play the mighty rebels of UNLV it might be in neon polka dots and it still would not be worth the gas to get there.

Please BYU please honor the seniors before the Savanah State game while there are still some fans in the stadium don't wait till the end of the game when no one is left in the stadium like last years ceremony after the Idaho State Bengals game. I was there and it was embarrassing.

I am a total BYU fan but it is what it is.

• ekute Layton, UT
    June 27, 2014 11:01 a.m.

bronco and kfbob just reminded everybody why the rivalry is called "The Holy War".

It seems disingenuous when byu fans blame Urban for flaring up the bitterness.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 19, 2014 6:42 a.m.

@kfbob: I couldn't say it any better than you did. Amen!

Go Cougars!

• water rocket Magna, UT
    Oct. 12, 2014 12:53 p.m.

There is no question that Bronco is trying to represent the church well (and he does). However, having fireside meetings the night before a game is a big distraction. Bronco is a fantastic defensive coach, but is not so good at creative and fun offenses. Here is an idea, how about the church calling Bronco as a mission president, then when he returns, hire him back as the defensive coach!