Lone Peak's Frank Jackson puts up 40 points, but Utah Reign lose in Dubai tournament semifinals

Comments

• CMO Beaver Beaver, UT
    June 20, 2014 11:00 a.m.

40 against an elite prep school team... no way this kid ends up at BYU or Utah.. he is on his way to the big time

• NT SomewhereIn, UT
    June 20, 2014 11:27 a.m.

90 points in 2 games?!?! That is remarkable. 88 points more than I scored in my high school career.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    June 20, 2014 11:56 a.m.

@CMO

This kid is on his way to the big time. With Nick Emery, TJ Haws, Erik Mika all playing for BYU in the coming years, BYU is the future of Big Time.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    June 20, 2014 12:01 p.m.

CMO Beaver,

I'll bet you a milkshake he ends up at BYU.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 20, 2014 12:49 p.m.

motrotrike is also having "frantic and emotional" reactions to all of this. He's a BYU COMMIT motortrike. He COMMITTED to them because he wants to go there. He simply didn't want to be a part of the utah program. Just the way it is.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    June 20, 2014 1:20 p.m.

Yes he did committed to play for BYU. As the last article saying he is more like Jimmer with his explosive shooting and he too can play DEFENSE and share with his teammates with his ASSIST.

• Darren Rowe Heber City, UT
    June 20, 2014 1:31 p.m.

If Frank didn't serve a mission (although I hope he does), this is what BYU's starting lineup could look like for the 2016-17 season:

PG- Nick Emery (Sophomore)
    SG- Frank Jackson (Freshman)
    SF- T.J. Haws (Freshman)
    PF- Payton Dastrup (Freshman)
    C- Erik Mika (Sophomore)

Then for the 2018-19 season these guys would be juniors and seniors. Frank would be a part of the 2018 team whether he serves a mission or not.

I know only Mika has proven anything on the college level, but based on high school performance, 2018-19 could be an incredibly special year of BYU Basketball!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 20, 2014 1:36 p.m.

Duckhunter,

For the record I'd love to see Frank attend BYU - though I doubt he will. It's great having the best homegrown talent stay and play college ball instate.
    All I had mentioned is that I saw him at two Utah games (in the recruit section) following his "commitment" to BYU. So I guess this would make you the frantic and emotional one. Don't worry, we all understand why you're feeling that way - getting called out following your guarantee that Frank had not attended those games was probably not easy for you.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 20, 2014 1:52 p.m.

Duckhunter,

"He's a BYU COMMIT motortrike. He COMMITTED to them because he wants to go there. He simply didn't want to be a part of the utah program. Just the way it is."

For the record, Utah had never offered Frank at the time of his commitment to BYU. Utah and every other school in America had barely seen him play because he was still so young. BYU on the other hand had seen him several times up close and personal as he would go play and workout at the Y with his Lone Peak buddies.
    I know for a fact that the Utah coaches talked to him following his WAY early commitment to BYU. They let Frank know they were very interested in him but were just waiting to see him play a bit more before offering. Shortly after, he was sitting in the Huntsman Center watching games. What I don't know is whether Utah ever came forward with an actual scholly offer of their own.
    Having said all that, if Frank keeps kicking tail and taking names, he'll end up at UCLA if they offer - bank on it.

• 2020 Herriman, UT
    June 20, 2014 2:18 p.m.

I would be surprised if the Lone Peak kids, and whoever else BYU puts around those guys, don't pan out. I think the future is bright for BYU basketball. Plus, it helps that they will play all of those scrimmages to prepare to try to beat Gonzaga and St. Marys.

• Mendel Iowa City, IA
    June 20, 2014 2:18 p.m.

Motorbike,

• kitsutsuki South Jordan, Utah
    June 20, 2014 2:22 p.m.

"Bank on it" huh? Insider information?

Keep dreaming motobike.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    June 20, 2014 2:39 p.m.

@Darren Rowe

It is up to Frank if he choose to serve. Wish him well next two years at LP and after that, then we will know what his next stop going to be. I don't know anything about him accept he chose to play ball for BYU.

I am looking forward to this year FB & BB at BYU. Go Cougars!

• kiddsport Fairview, UT
    June 20, 2014 2:41 p.m.

Let's see- one player scores 40 points and two assists, the rest of the team scores 28, and the opponents spread their points around and have at least 11 blocked shots. Sounds like the team with better ball rotation won against a one-dimensional team. Maybe I don't understand the purpose of these tournaments. Maybe they're not about team- only about personal stats.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 20, 2014 2:50 p.m.

Mendel

"Being very familiar with both the BYU coach (Dave Rose) and the UCLA coach (Steve Alford), I have to say that the choice between the two would be a no brainer-- Rose."

I personally agree with you. Rose is a class act.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 20, 2014 2:54 p.m.

kitsutsuki

"'Bank on it' huh? Insider information? Keep dreaming motorbike."

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. I'm not telling you to believe me though, and I'm really not too worried about it.

Here's the thing anyway, there's a lot of time between now and the day Frank suits up to play anywhere other than Lone Peak High and his AAU team. In other words, what I know today could be entirely different a year from now.

• kitsutsuki South Jordan, Utah
    June 20, 2014 2:54 p.m.

And maybe kiddsport, the team is not talented enough to spread the ball around as you suggest. All teams play to their strengths, whatever that might be.

There is a reason that he is currently the only player on Lone Peak that has signed to play D1 basketball.

• Malihini Northern, UT
    June 20, 2014 4:57 p.m.

Why are HS basketball players playing a summer tournament in Dubai? I'm sure the families of these players are paying for it, or fund raisers, etc., but how ridiculous has sports become when HS players need to have an international tournament.

Think of the expense of this while in nearby neighborhoods and counties millions of children have nothing to eat nor a bed to sleep with. Not to say that the forgoing of this tournament would make much of a difference, but maybe it would if these families would pay for their kids to go to these countries and build schools, water systems, and teach orphans rather than go and play basketball.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    June 20, 2014 5:46 p.m.

Malihini -

So do you think every sports program everywhere should shut down?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 21, 2014 11:00 a.m.

You know Malihini brings up a good point and that is

'should we use our personal resources on pastimes and enjoyment when there are others who cannot even meet the basic necessities of life'?

I won't pretend to have a definitive answer to that but it is an interesting question never the less. I tend to believe that we can and should enjoy our lives and using our personal wealth to do so is perfectly acceptable but I can admit there is room there to disagree. I'm not sure we should all be required to forgo adventure and entertainment simply because others have far less but I do wonder about the need to travel clear across the world to play in a HS basketball tournament.

I'll have to think more about this.

• Levin Reno, NV
    June 21, 2014 3:21 p.m.

@Tom in CA, I agree with you that there is room for both sports and charity. But you've got to admit, when high school kids are traveling to Dubai -- I repeat, Dubai -- for a tournament, that we might step back and evaluate whether our priorities are out of balance.

That said, nice job, Frank Jackson, Coach Lewis, and the Lone Peak team. It's awesome to see Utah kids competing at the highest levels of the game.

• Rockarolla West Jordan, UT
    June 24, 2014 10:38 p.m.

The travel for High school sports is getting out of hand. Going to Dubai to play against other teams from the state? What a waste of money and resources