Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops will be rooting for Utah quarterback Kendal Thompson

Comments

• FYI Taylorsville, UT
    June 19, 2014 9:43 p.m.

@ U-PAC
    Chase Hansen is still on his mission and won't be available until 2015.

• ekute Layton, UT
    June 19, 2014 9:47 p.m.

U-PAC,
    I'm hoping that Travis picks up from where he left off when he broke his hand or that Kendall breaks out this fall. I agree that Whit tends to play not to lose. I remember the anguish he displayed over Urban's aggressive offensive calls. Those were the days, though. Go Utes.

• Where is Hadley? Salt Lake, UT
    June 19, 2014 10:03 p.m.

I think K Whit is moving things along just as we need him to. Its sometimes hard to recognize the improvement due to the schedule difficultly, and while that doesn't mean we accept anything less than competing for the Rose Bowl, lets not be short sighted. We're going to surprise some teams this year.

Go Utes! Lets rock the Pac 12 this year

• Where is Hadley? Salt Lake, UT
    June 19, 2014 10:06 p.m.

U-Pac - I agree that missions make it difficult to know how kids will be. I'd prefer we start going after fewer and fewer of the lds kids who want to go on missions. I want kids who are committed to bringing Pac 12 titles to Utah. If a kid is committed to a mission - fine. Everyone can choose for themselves, but missions do not help guys get better. There is enough talent we're starting to land, that we'll be relying less on the lds mission kids as we go forward.

• PG #1 FAN Lindon, UT
    June 19, 2014 11:35 p.m.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    June 20, 2014 12:25 a.m.

@ U-PAC

You are flat out wrong abut Hansen. He belongs on defense, which is where he will play.

• East Coast Ute Storrs, CT
    June 20, 2014 4:58 a.m.

Hadley, yeah? How'd that philosophy work out for Jim Fassel?

• jersey Mt Laurel, NJ
    June 20, 2014 8:26 a.m.

The mission program, which Ron McBride nourished and grew, is the main reason Utah turned the program around. To have a successful program Utah must recruit and sign the best in-state players. Last time I checked Paul Kruger went on a mission, and Chad Lewis was a 3 time pro bowler. U-Pac, don't forget our roots and what built the program. Making it in the NFL is tough, going on a mission doesn't hurt your chances, luck and timing are the key factors in making an NFL roster, everyone has talent when you get to that level.

• Where is Hadley? Salt Lake, UT
    June 20, 2014 8:27 a.m.

@East Coast - Fassel wasn't recruiting Pac 12 talent because we weren't in the Pac 12. Apples and Oranges my friend. Watch and learn, we'll be doing less and less of the Mormon mission thing as time goes on. Note, I never said never, just that it will be less. And that's a good thing.

• KYUte Louisville, KY
    June 20, 2014 10:12 a.m.

@U-PAC

What is your basis for saying Travis Wilson isn't a PAC-12 QB? INT's?

I think Travis played very well last season before he injured his hand. Yes there were a lot of INT's that were ultimately piled on his shoulders. I put a lot of the blame on the receivers. If you recall, far too many of last year's INT's were passes put on the money that bounced off the receivers hands/chest, or were because the receiver sat back and waited for the ball to get to them instead of going and getting it like they're supposed to. Wilson is a good QB. Hopefully our receivers have learned how to go get the ball and have softened up those stone hands.
    Also, the O-line MUST improve it's protection over last year. It's hard to throw accurate passes on time when you're running for your life.

That being said, I am looking forward to seeing KT to come in and give TW some good competition.
    That pressure and competition will only make them both better.

Can't wait for August!!

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    June 20, 2014 10:14 a.m.

Jon Gruden at the u. That's just flat out the funniest thing I've read since Chris B and her friends were declaring national dominance in the first half of the NIT game against St. Maries.

I'd personally like to see Kendal Thompson do well for the little red engine that could.

• SoCalUte Trabuco Canyon, CA
    June 20, 2014 10:40 a.m.

All of you guys obviously haven't seen Conner Manning play in a real game situation. I watched Wilson, Manning and Cox all play in High School in California... Here is the break down
    Wilson is tall and see over the linemen and can move a little bit, but not fast enough for college. His accuracy is only average.
    Cox is fast and can run away from most defensive players. He is mostly a running QB and has average accuracy.
    Manning is not as big as Wilson or Cox, but he is the only QB on the Hill who can go through his progressions, and make the right decision. He is calm in the pocket an has the accuracy that very few QB's in the PAC12 have.
    On several occasions in high school, I saw him throw a pass to a receiver who's toes were on the sideline and was covered by two defenders and manning threw the pass where ONLY the RECIVER could catch it. He is not real fast, but is quick and can get out of trouble when he needs to.

• Where is Hadley? Salt Lake, UT
    June 20, 2014 10:48 a.m.

@U-Pac,

"There are exceptions of course, but I would rather see my beloved Utes amass a collection black kids that have the talent and speed that truly does make "the"m difference"

That exactly right. Well said.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    June 20, 2014 11:03 a.m.

Coach Stoops and Sooner fans are happy for Kendal. They speak highly of his character, understand the QB situation in Norman, and are glad to see him get another opportunity.

Contrast that to here, where a freshman-record holding quarterback is derided for a "bad attitude", and many "fans" still hoping for his failure years later.

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    June 20, 2014 12:06 p.m.

UPac, you should be more concerned with your own coach and quarterback at BYU and not pretend to worry so much about Utah's.
    You don't think Coach Whittingham has much personality? First, who cares and second, compared to another coach in this state that you follow, he's Mr. Personality.

Utah, their quarterbacks, and Coach Whittingham will be just fine and have another exciting season playing relevant, Pac12 football with big time teams coming to Utah. How's that alliance thing coming?

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 20, 2014 1:04 p.m.

SoCalUte:

I too happen to be very interested in seeing what Manning can do, and am excited that he's a part of our team. Now I'm not saying I hope Manning ultimately gets the job. I'm just saying I like what he brings to the team -- a good, accurate, pro-style arm. As for "who" will ultimately start for the Utes...it doesn't matter to me. Just as long as that guy legitimately beat out all the other challengers.

Personally, I think that will be Wilson, but if anyone proves to be better, I'd still be happy with that situation. I'd be ESPECIALLY happy if our starter remains healthy throughout the entire season for the first time since 2008. Still, with the health issues we'd been seeing at this position, I think the most likely scenerio will be us seeing multiple signal callers at various points in the season, so it's good that we have a Wilson, a Manning, AND a Thompson heading into the most challenging season in Utah Football history.

GO UTES!!!

• Utefan4Lyf West Jordan, UT
    June 20, 2014 3:39 p.m.

@U-Pac: I'm curious as to what your obsession with Hansen is? So far, I read an excellent article about Dres Anderson and you brought up Hansen (an as-yet untested college QB) and now this article. I'm interested to see how he does off of his mission, but we have another year before that is even a possibility, and we have a few QBs that just may surprise some people.

• But seriously folks! Salt Lake City, UT
    June 20, 2014 4:43 p.m.

He is just probably glad he opened up a scholarship spot for a quality player. The utes can have the leftovers.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    June 21, 2014 7:59 p.m.

U-PAC

The only guy that has real potential to be a legit, PAC caliber QB is Chase Hansen

-----------

Sorry but I don't see it that way.

There are several who have "potential." Although the only one who has shown on the field so far that he could be a good Pac 12 quarterback is Travis Wilson.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    June 21, 2014 8:05 p.m.

U-PAC

It gets tiring watching my beloved Utes throw away wins through lack of fire in their leadership.

------------

Very well stated. That's exactly right.

The fact that Whittingham doesn't seem to have any fire whatsoever in his leadership of this team. He doesn't show it on the sidelines during games. He doesn't show any before the games, and he doesn't show any after games... even when Utah plays like garbage.

It really ticks me off when Utah has an embarrassing loss (take your pick over the last few seasons) and I listen to Whittingham postgame and he sounds like he's not even remotely upset.

How a coach acts and what he says when a team has fallen on its face is a good indicator of the type of leadership he has. If Whittingham doesn't get upset after such losses, it communicates to the players that it's acceptable. And when you think about it, that sure seems to explain the lackluster, uninspired football that we've seen out of this team over the last three and a half seasons.

I want something else.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    June 21, 2014 8:13 p.m.

Stringer Bell
    Henderson, NV

----------

I couldn't disagree more. U-PAC is spot on with his remarks. Whittingham has so far shown us that he's having a ton of trouble winning in this league. And if he produces another losing season this year, he should be fired. Period.

And I wouldn't exactly call the last two seasons anything close to relevant Pac 12 football. Too many embarrassing losses and uninspired play to qualify as exciting.

• East Coast Ute Storrs, CT
    June 22, 2014 1:32 p.m.

Tomahawk, you obviously have no clue what Whitt is like on the sidelines, in the locker room, on the practice field, or really any other place than without the camera on him. And that's fine, I wouldn't expect you to if you haven't had any personal interaction with those situations. But having been around the team in the past few years and seen those things, I'll just tell you that your assessment couldn't be further off the mark. He's cooled off in front of the cameras a bit since his whole "accountability" speech regarding the former Wyoming coach, but on the field, in the locker room, and anywhere else interacting with the TEAM, he's just as fiery and intense as he ever was.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    June 22, 2014 11:44 p.m.

East Coast Ute
    Storrs, CT

Okay. Well I'm willing to concede that I don't know. I just go off what I see on camera.

For example, after that bumbling loss to ASU, hearing Whittingham claim that the offense played aggressive in the fourth quarter just about made me fall out of my chair.

I hope I am wrong. But that would then leave unexplained why the team seems completely mentally unprepared for so many games.

• UteTrog Phoenix, AZ
    June 23, 2014 1:34 p.m.

Of course Stoops wants him to do well. If Utah does well in the PAC, then it only makes the Big 12 look better "Check out our third string quarterback doing awesome in the PAC, another reason why the Big 12 is better than the PAC 12." At least that's what I get out of why Stoops would want to see him succeed. If he comes to the PAC and tanks, then it makes the PAC look better because "A Big 12 quarterback couldn't handle PAC 12 caliber defenses."

• East Coast Ute Storrs, CT
    June 23, 2014 1:43 p.m.

Tomahawk Red, Yes, I admit that his conservative style of protecting a lead is frustrating as a fan. That was the one good counterbalance I thought the team had the year with Norm Chow; even when the defense knew a play was 95% likely to be a run, he had enough creativity to keep them on their heels enough to give the play a chance. Hopefully Christensen will bring something like that to the table, or be given the reins to not be forced to run conservative in that situation. I think the latter is much less likely, though.

• East Coast Ute Storrs, CT
    June 23, 2014 2:07 p.m.

UteTrog,or maybe, possibly, he wants him to do well because he actually cares about him. He's invested the last 4+ years recruiting and coaching him, I doubt something as petty as "my conference is better than your conference" is his foremost concern.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    June 23, 2014 7:44 p.m.

@UteTrog

U have it all wrong and must know very little about KT and how likely he would've been OU's starting QB last year, were it not for his broken foot....If U can locate it, there was a poignant interview w/KT on ESPN700 a few months back which would be enlightening for U to listen to.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 24, 2014 2:17 p.m.

"missions destroy athletes for the most part. All the "great" LDS athletes never went on missions"

U-Pac:

So I guess you're not ready to put Paul Kruger and Sione Pouha in the "great" category, just yet, huh?

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    June 24, 2014 3:01 p.m.

@ PG #1 FAN - Lindon, UT - "Missions do hurt but if you get the reputation for not working around the mission service then you will lose most every kid in Utah. They will grow up hating Utah before they are old enough to know better. That would be a really bad move. The best option would be to discourage it once they are signed."

Translation: "It would be better if we deceived LDS athletes who sign with us yet still want to go on a mission."

Nice.

Of course, you'll say otherwise, but saying one thing while all along intending to do something else is deceptive.