The total package: Utah State quarterback Chuckie Keeton is much more than just a stellar player for Aggies

Comments

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    June 18, 2014 8:26 p.m.

The article mentioned RGIII played at Texas. That's inaccurate; Griffin played at Baylor University in Waco, Texas. Des News, please don't overlook those details.

That being said, I'm super stoked to have Chuckie back for his senior year. He's been so much fun to watch the last few years. I was extremely fortunate to be able to watch almost all of his home games in person. Phenomenal athlete and total class act. He even signed my football in silver marker!

Hope you have a monster senior season, #16.

Go Ags! Beat Tennessee!

• Smokin' Joe ALTURAS, CA
    June 18, 2014 11:02 p.m.

Excellent, excellent article. Enjoyed learning about the personal side of this amazing young man.

• Clue Bay AMERICAN FORK, UT
    June 19, 2014 6:27 a.m.

@Sambonethegreat - The article reads "Keeton is a native of Houston, and since Griffin played his college football at Baylor, the Aggies' quarterback is well-acquainted with Griffin's accomplishments." It then references that Griffin is a Texas kid - meaning he was raised in Texas.

• Aggie5 Kuna, ID
    June 19, 2014 6:37 a.m.

Best to this kid, at the best school in Utah!

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    June 19, 2014 7:16 a.m.

How fortunate we Aggies are to have this exceptional young man back for hopefully an amazing senior season. He has those intangible qualities that inspires those around him to give their very best too…a natural leader with charisma.

• SN2 Taylorsville, UT
    June 19, 2014 7:40 a.m.

@Clue Bay

The article was updated after Sambonethegreat commented.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    June 19, 2014 8:27 a.m.

Chuckie Keaton is money. He has been since his first game at Auburn. I wish USU all the best.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    June 19, 2014 8:43 a.m.

Playing the MWC is a little weird - you play the big boys for 1-2 games right at the start of the season, and then have 9-10 games against nobodies. Its a struggle to pretend to get excited to be playing teams like Wyoming, UNLV, and New Mexico. Trust us, we know.

Boy am I glad I don't have that problem anymore. Hope Chuckie can play healthy and lead usu to a WAC title.

Go aggies
    Go UTES

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    June 19, 2014 8:58 a.m.

It's almost Chuckie Time!

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    June 19, 2014 9:08 a.m.

It has been a pure joy to watch Keeton play starting from his first game as a freshman. Chuckie is the real deal on and off the field. Here's hoping the Aggies put it all together for an amazing season. After knocking on the door for the past few years it is time for USU to win the big out of state opening game. Go Big Blue!!!

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    June 19, 2014 9:18 a.m.

In my opinion, as good as Chuckie has been, I always thought he was a little skinny and fragile.
    What a difference and injury can make!
    This young man has WORKED during his rehab!
    He is a lot thicker and stronger and looks a lot better physically.
    I am excited to see what Chuckie 2.0 is going to do this season...
    Go Aggies!

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    June 19, 2014 9:41 a.m.

Chris B can't resist a little jab, no matter what the topic. What he doesn't realize is that for decades USU was a nobody. Now we are winning and competitive in a conference at a level where we belong. Not so sure one can say that about the Utes. Too bad we don't play U this year, Chuckie is 1 and 1 against them.

• redthunder Ogden, UT
    June 19, 2014 10:15 a.m.

Too long of an article to read the whole thing. Keeton is the best QB in the state by far and I wish him the best.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    June 19, 2014 11:17 a.m.

redthunder, I wouldn't say that Chuckie was "the best qb by far in the state" but I would say he is the best all around qb. He runs, he passes, and he can fire up his team like no other. I was sad to see him get hurt, but he has proven to be a tough one. I hope he has the kind of season he deserves (AND, without injury) and gets drafted high in the NFL draft.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    June 19, 2014 11:54 a.m.

Correct me if I'm wrong Chris, but didn't the Utes lose to New Mexico multiple times in the Mountain West? And who can forget that 27-0 laugher for the Rebels in 2007? LOL.

Chuckie should have a great season. If he stays healthy, I see no reason why we can't compete for the conference title.

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    June 19, 2014 12:49 p.m.

Richard comes along and does his best to disparage Chuckie... but he is reading everything USU!

• Southpaw Southern, UT
    June 20, 2014 11:35 p.m.

Inquiring minds wish to know who Richard really is? I've listened to that for a while now and it's got me curious. Please Ifel-ofa-sofa indulge a fellow fan for a moment.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    June 23, 2014 4:55 p.m.

I'm sure Southpaw would agree it's bush league to disparage a hard-working student athlete coming off a serious injury. Those student athletes just want to play the game they love, earn an education, and show their school spirit in the process.

What's wrong with that?

June 23, 2014 9:07 p.m.

@Sambone

Being a fan of all schools I agree. However, some may not. It seems all some fan's want is argue who is better. Chris B, tinplater, Ifel of a-sofa, Stang08 and yes you on occasion come to my mind. But yes I agree with you whole heartedly Sambone.

June 24, 2014 1:00 p.m.

Last word let's put it this way. Keeton is like former Utah QB Brian Johnson. Remember that guy? He succeeded Alex Smith. Anyway, that QB was always injured always. Keeton is no different.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    June 24, 2014 8:13 p.m.

Why on earth do Utah and Southern Utah fan(s) hang out on USU pages? Makes absolutely no sense to me. And I'm a bit disappointed Southpaw chose not to respond to my question. He seems like a decent guy.

• Southpaw Southern, UT
    June 24, 2014 10:14 p.m.

Why are you disappointed that a fellow fan answered you? That's what you wanted wasn't it Sambone? I like to talk to fellow fan's such as yourself and show that not all non aggies hate the aggies. I didn't graduate from USU but I've been happy to see they have been on the up and up.

Some teams are really doing well in their conferences and their division, some are not. For example the three that are heavily discussed here, USU has done great since Coach Andersen set a foundation in Logan. The U hasn't lived up to the hype since moving up to the PAC12(sorry this is a fact. And since Coach Ed Lamb was hired back in 08 SUU has been fantastic. Fellow fan's can discuss great football.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    June 25, 2014 5:23 p.m.

As a Utah fan, I hope Chuckie tears it up this year. He is the funnest QB to watch, and I am glad Utah doesn't have to play against him.

As far as being the best in the state, as of right now - I would have to say he is the best in the state, but that remains to be seen. He certainly has the potential to have a great season and represent USU like no other.

Go Ags!
    Go Utes!

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    June 26, 2014 11:25 a.m.

@Stang08

Isn't it ironic that you compare Keeton to Brian Johnson, and yet Johnson was the QB that dismantled Alabama in the 2008 Sugar Bowl? That Alabama team went on to win, oh, maybe one or two national championships, riding the strength of it's defense...the same defense that Johnson & Co. cut through like a hot knife through butter.

Incidentally, Keetons stats so far are significantly better than Brian Johnson's.

June 26, 2014 1:36 p.m.

The one time he wasn't injured for the entire year. And last I checked the Sugar Bowl was a game that's a lot bigger than the Poinsettia or Potato Bowls. Who is better than Keeton? I want to know who you think is better than Keeton. Alex Smith perhaps? Or maybe Steve Young? Or maybe just maybe those players can't live up to the greatness that is Chuckie Keeton. Even though one of those players is an NFL hall of famer and Keeton is going to be lucky to get drafted.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    June 26, 2014 2:44 p.m.

Stang,

Time remains to see which of those QBs is better than Keeton. You're the one who said that Keeton and Johnson were "no different," so don't go putting words in my mouth. But, to back up my point that Keeton's stats are better, lets compare numbers for both players through their junior year (since Keeton doesn't yet have a senior season to compare):

Total TDs: Keeton 69, Johnson 41
    Passing Yards: Keeton 5961, Johnson 4866
    Rushing Yards: Keeton 1153, Johnson 720
    Completion % (average): Keeton 65.9%, Johnson 65.0%
    Interceptions: Keeton 13, Johnson 18
    Average Rating: Keeton 149.7, Johnson 135.0

Chuckie Keeton > Brian Johnson

And just for fun, lets compare Keeton's college career to Steve Young's, in the same 3 year scenario. (Young didn't play as a freshman, so we're essentially including his senior season as a comparison to Keeton's freshman season.)

Total TDs: Young 74, Keeton 69
    Passing Yards: Young 7733, Keeton 5961
    Rushing Yards: Keeton 1153, Young 1084
    Completion % (average): Keeton 65.9, Young 65.2
    Interceptions: Keeton 13, Young 33
    Average Rating: Young 149.8, Keeton 149.7

Interesting. They compare better than I thought they would.

June 26, 2014 11:14 p.m.

Steve Young and Alex Smith are already better than Keeton. Keeton isn't even close to their level.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    June 27, 2014 10:39 a.m.

They're only better because of their NFL careers. Time will tell how well Keeton does in the NFL. Until then, I will withhold judgement. In the meantime, here's a comparison between Alex Smith's college career and Chuckie Keeton's. Smith also didn't record any stats his freshman year, so we'll include his senior year instead as we did with Steve Young.

Total TDs: Keeton 69, Smith 62
    Passing Yards: Keeton 5961, Smith 5203
    Rushing Yards: Keeton 1153, Smith 1072
    Completion % (average): Keeton 66.5, Smith 66.3
    Interceptions: Smith 8, Keeton 13
    Average Rating: Smith 164.4, Keeton 151.4

Note the corrections to Keeton's stats on completion % and rating. Both corrections actually make him look better, and represent official stats, rather than my previous calculations which were in error. The correction to his rating stat actually puts him ahead of Steve Young in that category.

Keeton is very comparable to both Steve Young and Alex Smith, based on their respective college careers. Whether he has the "intangibles" to compete at a comparable level in the NFL remains to be seen, but based on the evidence we can compare so far, he has a better than good chance to do so.

June 27, 2014 12:54 p.m.

Time will tell you what I already know. Keeton won't get drafted and will become the QB coach at USU after he graduates. Make him look better but is he actually better? The answer you are looking for is no. Like I said the only chance he will get is the chance to be the QB coach after graduation.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    June 28, 2014 9:59 a.m.

We'll file your view of Keeton with your views that Wagner and Turbin would never be drafted, would never make Seahawks roster, would never contribute in the NFL, never played in the Super Bowl, etc etc etc

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    June 28, 2014 2:50 p.m.

@Aggie238

I certainly appreciate the stats you're posting, but I feel you're wasting your time arguing with SUU's only fan.

June 28, 2014 3:10 p.m.

Wagner and Turbin didn't play in the Super Bowl. Trubin doesn't contribute to anything in the NFL. The only difference between Wagner/Turbin and Keeton is Wagner/Turbin played four years of college. Keeton is always injured. End of story Go Big Blue. Keeton isn't half the QB you think he is.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    June 28, 2014 8:16 p.m.

Checkmate

June 29, 2014 1:49 p.m.

You are right Go Big Blue. Checkmate I win this round. Sambone just makes me laugh. Continuing to claim he doesn't read anything I say but he usually comments after I've said something and say's something like "Don't talk to SUU's only fan" when he clearly knows I'm not the only fan.

• 08Stanley Salt Lake City, UT
    June 30, 2014 7:59 p.m.

@Go Big Blue

In my world, water isnt wet, I'm well ruhspected on these board's, and Bobby Wagners 10 tackles in the super bowl don't count.

June 30, 2014 9:51 p.m.

Oh and the other person who makes me laugh is 08Stanley. He thinks he will get to me but all he will ever do is flatter me. No, actually in my world water is wet. I do wish he would learn to spell. It's spelled respected my friend. But good effort. Overall you're getting better. And Bobby Wagner played about as much as Robert Turbin. Maybe a little less in the Super Bowl. This is true fact. Keep trying my friend. This truly is comical. FYI guy's I know I'm not respected because my opinion is different.

• Manfred Man Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2014 4:59 p.m.

Looks like some of these comments spilled over from a previous article not too far back. Being the die-hard Seahawks fan that I am, reading Stang's completely indefensible and ludicrous argument that Bobby Wagner didn't play in the Super Bowl is just way too funny.

July 1, 2014 5:50 p.m.

@Manfred Man

I keep having to repeat myself because some people just don't get it. Am I the only one who actually watched the Super Bowl? I guess I was.

• 08Stanley Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2014 9:09 p.m.

For claiming to know alot about football and its fan's, I sure dont know very much about it.

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    July 2, 2014 10:04 a.m.

My morning chuckle comes from SUU fan who continues to amaze us with his insight and grasp of reality. Keeton is one of the better quarterbacks in the country, not the greatest or the best, but really exceptional. He brings a level of excitement and a sense that "anything can happen on any given play". He has a national following and my hope is that this senior year proves to be sensational. He will be remembered as the greatest Aggie quarterback for both on and off the field accomplishments.

July 2, 2014 1:12 p.m.

08Stanley

Thank you for admitting that. Hey tinplater what happened to your claim that he was the best? How can he be remembered for being the greatest Aggie QB if he's always injured?

• Manfred Man Salt Lake City, UT
    July 2, 2014 4:51 p.m.

@Stang

"And Bobby Wagner played about as much as Robert Turbin. Maybe a little less in the Super Bowl. This is true fact."

Actually, this is false. Anybody who pays attention to the NFL would know Wagner has been a 2-year (going on 3) starter for the Seahawks. In fact, Wagner has started in almost every game and has finished as one of the top tacklers on the team since getting drafted.

It's patently silly (and incorrect) to insist he doesn't play much.

July 3, 2014 2:48 p.m.

I'm the only one who watched the Super Bowl. You are right I don't pay attention to the NFL. But I know he didn't play.

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    July 3, 2014 2:57 p.m.

@Stang0, if he isn't the greatest USU qb, who do you nominate? The fact that he has been injured much of his career only adds to his greatness.. to accomplish what he did with partial seasons. As you know, overcoming handicaps and excelling takes great courage.

• Manfred Man Salt Lake City, UT
    July 4, 2014 2:48 p.m.

Stang, go check any credible news website that covers sports. Go check ESPN. If you search for the statistics of the last Super Bowl, I guarantee it will list that Bobby Wagner had 10 tackles in that game, tied for the highest number on the team.

How about a wager: $100 says Bobby Wagner registered 10 tackles in the Super Bowl against the Broncos.

If you know for a fact he didn't play in that game, by all means this should be a slam dunk for you.

July 4, 2014 8:51 p.m.

@tinplater

I'd nominate no one really. Keeton is always hurt, no one remembers the other guys name who Keeton replaced, and there are a bunch of no names before him. I don't get your meaning with that "takes courage" comment. That sounds rather odd to me tinplater. Sure Manfred Man I'll wager $100. But we don't know each other so that would kinda be pointless. I know what I saw now let's move on.

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    July 5, 2014 6:04 a.m.

Stang0, since you can nominate no one you obviously know nothing about USU football and past quarterbacks. But there is a greatest USU quarterback, possibly Bill Munson, Tony Cavillo, Jim Turner, Kent Harris etc. But from my perspective Keeton has surpassed them and still has a year to play.

July 5, 2014 12:28 p.m.

Bingo tinplater the only thing I know about USU football is, until Gary Andersen came around they were a walkover for everybody. Now they are only a walkover for the big teams. How has he surpassed those no names from the bench?

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    July 15, 2014 2:54 p.m.

Richard is at it again... but too bad that suu is ranked clear at 6 in the power that is the big sky