Opinion

My view: Use summer to reverse the damage of school

Comments

• Hamath Omaha, NE
    June 13, 2014 5:25 a.m.

No offense meant if somehow the motivations are purer than I'm thinking,... but this feels like an advertisement not an article.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    June 13, 2014 7:48 a.m.

Wow, what a cynical view towards education!

• Screwdriver Casa Grande, AZ
    June 13, 2014 7:54 a.m.

Well it is an advertisement but the relationship is disclosed plainly and the author makes some good points really. Our school system really is designed for the past. New jobs need lots of creativity and technical savvy, not rote memorization and idleness while getting 30 kids to be quiet at the same time.

• Really??? Kearns, UT
    June 13, 2014 8:17 a.m.

I was thinking the same thing, Hamath. The problem with our current education system is that schools aren't allowed to be innovative. We are allowing talk show hosts and big businesses tell us that every student needs to test at the same level and have the same interests; if that doesn't happen, the the schools are surely failing.

We need to tell the powers that be that we don't want every child to be the same and that every school shouldn't be a carbon copy of the one across town. We need to allow schools and teachers to do what's best so that the children rediscover the joy of learning.

• utahreader CENTERVILLE, UT
    June 13, 2014 8:28 a.m.

Wow, I can't believe they printed such a blatant advertisement as opinion. Have any of you been in a modern classroom, it is not all about lecture and rote memorization! I raised 4 children and none of them hated school, hated a subject or begged to stay at home. In fact, I had one child who would pretend to be well, because she didn't want to miss a day. Maybe your children's bad attitude about school has more to do with you and the attitude you model and the expectation that your children shouldn't have to do hard things.

• Magistra Salt Lake City, UT
    June 13, 2014 11:36 a.m.

"Reverse the damage of school." Really???? I don't understand this disdain for education.

• Noodlekaboodle Poplar Grove, UT
    June 13, 2014 11:47 a.m.

@Screwdriver
    Generally if a newspaper is going to run sponsored content they indicate specifically that what you are reading is a sponsored post. I've seen them in the Deseret News before. This is not marked the same way, which to me means that it was not run as an ad, an the editor actually let this blatant advertisement for Brain Chase through. And in regards to "undoing the damage of school" It sounds like she's describing the school of 30 years ago. My school experience wasn't like this, and my daughter(starting 2nd grade next year) doesn't go to a school like this either. In fact she was bawling when school let out she loves it so much. Maybe the writer needs to realize that you kids pick up on what you do much more than you give them credit for.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    June 14, 2014 9:50 a.m.

Funny. As a kid I loved school. I didn't feel like it was "damaging" me. In fact, summer bored me to death. I know I'm strange, you don't have to say it.

• Orem Parent Orem, UT
    June 14, 2014 3:10 p.m.

This was the most pathetic thing I have read about education in a long, long time.

My kids love their schools, love their teachers, and they are scoring at the top of the charts on all national tests.

Thank goodness people see right through this kind of garbage.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    June 16, 2014 1:27 p.m.

The best way to reverse the damage that the public schools do is to PULL YOUR KIDS OUT. Get them back into your home and educate them yourself. Who will love your child the most, and who knows your child best, you or their teacher?