Faith

Mormon stake presidency dances in 'Happy' lip dub for youth conference

Comments

• O'really Idaho Falls, ID
    June 10, 2014 4:01 p.m.

This is awesome! Good job Presidents.

• Mack2828 Ft Thomas, KY
    June 10, 2014 7:47 p.m.

Sorry, I know they meant well, but in my opinion this is not the right way to connect with the youth.
    I believe it was James E Faust who mentioned in a talk that the Bishop should not get in the dunk tank at the ward carnival. It is not the man, it is the priesthood office that shouldn't be made light of. I feel that the same principle applies here.

• yjojo 83843, ID
    June 10, 2014 8:41 p.m.

I thought it was Great. The video was nice.

• Florwood American Fork, UT
    June 10, 2014 9:54 p.m.

Reminded of a time where our bishopric in Saudi Arabia in 1987 put together an original rap and performed it for the ward (no, not in Sacrament meeting).

And Mack2828, I remember Elder LeGrand Richards telling us to remember Rule 6: Don't take yourself so darn seriously.

• MIMom Mt Pleasant, MI
    June 10, 2014 11:03 p.m.

Brilliant. Might not be terribly original in concept but I'm sure it left a positive connections with many kids who might not think twice about the message otherwise.

• nitwhitz Dallas, TX
    June 10, 2014 11:09 p.m.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but SERIOUSLY, Mack2828?? I think you need to lighten-up just a wee bit and actually let yourself enjoy the spirit intended behind the video...connecting with the youth on their level, making them WANT to attend youth conference, and letting them know that NOW is the time to be HAPPY (and that it's through the gospel that they can do that)! They were not dancing or singing in the chapel or on the temple grounds, or even in the church building so far as I could tell. I commend them for doing something fun, yet appropriate, to motivate their youth, and I just bet they earned tons of respect from the youth while they were doing it!

• RedneckLefty St. George, UT
    June 10, 2014 11:45 p.m.

If you want to connect with the youth, or with anyone under forty for that matter, don't clap on 1 and 3.

• michael.jensen369 Lethbridge, 00
    June 11, 2014 12:42 a.m.

Major props to the Presidency. I know it would take a whole lot of courage to do something like that. I remember a few years ago, when my then YSA bishop and his second counselor joined in our Improv night for FHE. It was pretty awesome to see! We all loved that Bishop so much, I think in part, due to how he talked and acted just like us! He was the CES director for all of Canada, and he definitely knew how to have fun and connect with us.

• MTransplant Los Angeles, CA
    June 11, 2014 1:01 a.m.

What a fun stake presidency!

My 14 yo son watched the video and thinks that it makes the leaders more accessible. He, also, said that he thinks it's important to show that Mormons can have fun.

• MIMom Mt Pleasant, MI
    June 11, 2014 5:59 a.m.

To all naysayers who feel this was inappropriate I share one thing that influenced my perspective in life when I was younger. When I was called as a full-time missionary I was given some advice by a General Authority. I was very excited when he said he had one piece of advice for me because I looked to him as a spiritual giant. I knew him as serious and an example of someone who must clearly understand his role in life. Anything I could hear from him would surely be worth remembering! As all the possibilities of what he might say rushed through my head in a brief few seconds I was stunned to hear him say "have fun". He expounded on it a bit and basically said, do what you are there to do but at the end of the day know that you had fun in the process and can smile and be happy.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    June 11, 2014 6:24 a.m.

I'll be straight with you Mack. Your approach of solemn and ridiculously overdone seriousness will not connect with today's youth. I hope you do not hold office but if you do I'm glad it's in Kentucky and not somewhere you could do real damage.

• ianvass00 San Antonio, TX
    June 11, 2014 6:46 a.m.

Mack2828 -

The dunk tank is problematic because by its basic nature, it is disrespectful - the person throwing is taking a position of power over the person in the tank. So, yes - Bishops should not be in a dunk tank.

However, this video is light-hearted and uplifting, and is exactly the kind of thing I could see Joseph Smith doing. If he wasn't compromising his office by playing ball with the kids, then this inspired Presidency members aren't compromising their offices by reaching out to the Youth in this way.

Having fun is not inherently demeaning to an office in the Church. After all, President Monson wiggled his ears *in General Conference*. :)

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    June 11, 2014 6:50 a.m.

Mack, let's stack the James Foust / Mack approach up against the LeGrand / Monson approach and see who retains more youth participation shall we?

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    June 11, 2014 8:05 a.m.

I think President Monson wiggling his ears in General Conference trumps Bishop in the dunk tank. Faust would most likely have been a little urked by that display in Conference. Good thing he served with President Hinckley who had a great sense of humor to counter balance President Faust. A Bishop in a dunk tank doesn't make me respect the office any less.

Everyone needs to lighten up. After all Ceice did his lip sync thing at the Y.

• Semi-Strong Louisville, KY
    June 11, 2014 9:44 a.m.

Here is the quote from Pres. Faust:

“Our bishop was a good sport, and because he was responsible for raising the money, he willingly consented to sit on the dunking seat. Soon some began to buy balls and to throw them at the target. Several hit the mark, and the bishop was drenched. After half an hour of this, he began to shake with the cold. While some of the people thought this was great fun, my father was very offended that the office of the bishop had been so belittled and held up to ridicule or even contempt. Even though the money raised was intended for a good cause, I can still remember feeling ashamed that some of our people did not show more respect for both the office and the man who had by night and day served us so well as our good shepherd.”

I think there is a fundamental difference between the situation cited and these (new) stake presidency members trying to just break the ice with their youth.

• Borg Boise, ID
    June 11, 2014 10:06 a.m.

I loved the video. I thought it was respectful, fun and on task with their office. I am grateful and sustain anyone who magnifies their calling and connects with my son to help me get him on a mission and be a good husband and father.
    I also loved the fact that they put the bloopers in the end showing them as real humans - messing up the steps, laughing and showing the work put in to get it the way it needed to be. Great Job Presidents!

• *Andrea Salt Lake, UT
    June 11, 2014 10:51 a.m.

I love it that they did it all in their white shirts. Our bishopric participates in many of our youth activities in their shirts & ties, and I get the same feeling from this Stake Presidency. Also, think what a bonding experience this was for these men. We can feel sure they'll be working well together for the next several years.

• goosehuntr Tooele, UT
    June 11, 2014 11:37 a.m.

Men are just boys at heart. When we forget to have fun in the gospel we've lost something important like... the spirit of it. This did not demean Priesthood keys or office held by those men. It was a gesture of cheerfulness and... well, being HAPPY! The youth of that Stake are lucky to have those men...men that love the youth and want them to know they are with them now, today. And, that they are approachable and sincere. For me, they modeled the virtues and results of having peace of mind and conscience. When we are clean, we are at peace...when we are at peace we are happy.

• ImABeliever Provo, UT
    June 11, 2014 2:06 p.m.

I just wonder if they had consent or legal rights to do the video from Pharrell Williams.
    He is the originator of the song and video, "Happy!"

• BeLoved0421 bismarck, ND
    June 11, 2014 2:14 p.m.

They did an amazing job!! this is such an awesome way to connect with youth.

• psyphile1 Cedar Hills, UT
    June 11, 2014 2:27 p.m.

I'm with you, Mack2828.

I remember an article I read while I was going through the Seminary teaching program at BYU; my best guess is that it was a reprinted talk given to church educators, I think by Elder Packer. He told of flying in for a stake conference and being met at the airport by the Stake presidency, who were dressed in shorts and casual shirts. When they were in private, Elder Packer asked if this was how they typically dressed. The stake president told him No, that they just figured that "dressing down" would help them relate better to the youth. Elder Packer's reply was something along the line of "Your youth don't need you to try to relate to them in this way; they need you to lead them. They don't need you to be their friends; they need you to be their leaders."

Some may argue you can be both friend and leader, or friend and parent, etc., but I think both President Faust and Elder Packer (?) were making a similar point.

I realize your's isn't a popular opinion, Mack2828, but it's one I share.

• JohnMill Australia, 00
    June 11, 2014 7:30 p.m.

I think that Mack has a point - but its not quite the point he was trying to make.
    Semi-Strong's quote made it much clearer.
    I didn't take Pres Faust's story to mean that the Bishop shouldn't have gotten into the dunk tank - in fact he said he was a good sport for doing it. I think he was criticising the members who would dunk and laugh at the Bishop.
    I think the thing that would have earned Pres Faust's approval would have been for the Bishop to have gotten into the tank - showing he could be a good sport - and then for the members to all deliberately miss the target to ensure that their Bishop was never humiliated and show how much they respected the office.

• Barbara Wyly Guilford, IN
    June 11, 2014 10:41 p.m.

Hey Mack is in my stake-and I have grandkids that age. In my book that's real damage! Lighten up Mack! BTW, I knew James E. Faust-and he could have a good time, too. He was not a stick in the mud. His connection with this youth is one of the reasons I have grandkids who are still in the church today.

• willowind Rexburg, ID
    June 11, 2014 11:14 p.m.

Oh my goodness! Way to go Presidents! You guys practiced a bunch and even had a choreographer! This was a great, great way to connect to the youth! I am certain that they thoroughly enjoyed this video and your efforts. I am so impressed. Having known, then, Bishop Alquist, to be a quiet and somewhat serious person, I enjoyed this video even more, to see him go above and beyond to invite the youth to youth conference. Youth conference strengthens and sometimes even changes lives. But, first, the youth must show up! Thank you all for your strong, worthy and amazing efforts! I LOVE THIS CHURCH! And thanks for sharing the bloopers….so funny and fun to watch!

• cake new zealand, AL
    June 12, 2014 7:34 p.m.

The video is fun.....:)

• None99 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 13, 2014 11:00 p.m.

Instead of helping our youth be more mature, rational, and cognizant of the dangers surrounding them, especially to help prepare them for the trials awaiting our nation, you can see how the American generations are slowly becoming more child-like, immitators of pop-culture. Where are the real leaders today? Read Isaiah to find out where they are. Rational thought, real spiritual thought uninfluenced by the world, is a rare virtue these days.

• sukiyhtaky us, CA
    June 16, 2014 9:18 a.m.

Obviously they havn't heard Pharrells *other* musical offerings. Not exactly the role model I'd hold out for my kids considering the mysoginistic and blatantly sexual nature of his 'music'. Blurred Lines? Really the visual you want to promote with your daughters? I set a standard of music in my house and he doesn't measure up because I look at the full body of what they do, not just one offering.

• denabrett ATLANTA, GA
    Sept. 16, 2014 7:48 a.m.

Love it! Especially the outtakes!
    Dena Brett