Utah

Huntsman in 2016: Will he or won't he?

Comments

• skrekk Dane, WI
    June 1, 2014 6:49 p.m.

Given that Huntsman supports equal rights for all Americans, could he even win the GOP nomination?

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 1, 2014 6:59 p.m.

The big question is not if his ego will force him to run. The big question is which party will he want to run on.

A good ambassador, but a mediocre (at best) governor. We can, and must, do better for our next President.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    June 1, 2014 8:08 p.m.

I have to wonder sometimes what adivce some people get. Huntsman has zero chance of winning....he wouldn't even win the GOP primary.

• estudiante GRAND RAPIDS, MI
    June 1, 2014 8:19 p.m.

I had high hopes when Huntsman announced, but he ran what almost seemed a parody of a real campaign. At one point I thought he was working with Romney to make Romney look good in comparison.

• kfbob SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    June 1, 2014 8:51 p.m.

I doubt that the Republicans would want Huntsman. The Dems would probably be okay with most of his political positions, however why would you elect a liberal republican when there are thousands of liberal democrats that would be preferable? It is the same conundrum facing Chris Christie.

Also the non-partisan No Labels group is indeed a "liberal" think tank with a couple of RINO's involved to create moderate to liberal policies. There are indeed several liberals in the group but no real conservatives.

• The_Laird Patchogue, NY
    June 1, 2014 9:00 p.m.

@ DN Subscriber: Utah was named the best managed state in America and best state in which to do business when he was Governor. One could do worse. And right now, compared with mostly freshman Senators who are thinking of running, he at least HAS some credentials.

• Oh Really? HERRIMAN, UT
    June 1, 2014 9:17 p.m.

I was a Huntsman supporter until he ran a cavalier, at best, Presidential campaign. If he cannot take the process seriously, why should voters take HIM seriously?

• Exercise4Health Salt Lake City, UT
    June 1, 2014 9:41 p.m.

His dad is such a good guy.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    June 1, 2014 10:02 p.m.

If Huntsman ran, I would return to voting for the GOP again. He was a great Governor, a fine ambassador, and he is principled to boot.

He'd have my vote.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    June 1, 2014 10:30 p.m.

Please, no. Ben Carson is the answer to the problems which plague this once-great country. He knows what it is like to start with absolutely nothing and rise to great personal heights. Let's now make ANOTHER mistake.

• RosaMaria Laie, HI
    June 2, 2014 2:26 a.m.

Please NO, NO, NO. In my humble opinion he is an arrogant man, with an arrogant wife and children. We don't want people with the sense of entitlement in the WH

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    June 2, 2014 3:10 a.m.

That's "not" make another mistake. Thanks!

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    June 2, 2014 4:37 a.m.

@Herbert Gravy 10:30 p.m. June 1, 2014

------------------------

If I wanted a good neurosurgeon, I would go to Dr. Carson. Because I want a good president, I would NOT go to him -- he has neither the experience nor, from his comments, the temperament for the job. Because I want a good President, I will support and vote for Jon Huntsman, Jr. Electing Carson would be a huge mistake. Electing Huntsman would be the best thing for this country.

• ChuckGG Gaithersburg, MD
    June 2, 2014 5:25 a.m.

I doubt the current GOP crowd would ever nominate Huntsman although in the general election he'd probably do reasonably well. The problem is the GOP wants to nominate an ultra-conservative. In the general election there is little chance a conservative to the level the GOP wants would ever win. In the general election, you could get a Christie, Huntsman, or Romney, elected, but much more conservative and you will turn off the majority of Americans.

In a recent article I read there was a claim Obama won because "4 million conservatives stayed home and didn't vote rather than vote for Romney." Frankly, this makes little sense. 4 million people stayed home to allow Obama to win instead of voting for Romney because "he wasn't conservative enough?" That's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

If there is any validity to this claim, then the conservatives (read: GOP) stand no chance of winning the White House. You can't have an ultra-conservative to appease the GOP and then expect that person to win in the general election.

Look how the GOP treated Huntsman. He spoke some Mandarin and was ridiculed. No way they would nominate him.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    June 2, 2014 6:35 a.m.

A total waste of time and money if he chooses to run.

The best thing he can do is to just write to me and I'll forward to a real candidate, after I take my consulting fee.

• Baron Scarpia Logan, UT
    June 2, 2014 6:41 a.m.

I saw Huntsman recently featured in a documentary, Scaling Wind, where he and other Republicans express their support for wind energy and other renewables (including Pres. Bush and Terry Branstad).

The Koch brothers would crush any talk of that in a primary for the GOP, especially in the face of Obama's 'war on burning coal.' Remember images of Romney standing with unionized coal miners during his campaign to show his solidarity with the 19th century technology?

Sadly, Huntsman would represent the right kind of "big tent, center-right" candidate needed by the GOP to mount any kind of a challenge against Hillary. He's pro-business AND pro-21st century technology -- and he doesn't entangle himself with civil rights restrictions (e.g., gay marriage; voter ID) or anti-science rhetoric (e.g., teach creationism in schools; climate "hoax") -- a rare breed for the GOP that could attract independents.

• FatherOfFour WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    June 2, 2014 6:48 a.m.

I would love to see Huntsman run. He would definitely have my support. Out of all the possible candidates the GOP has, Hunstman is by far the absolute best.

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    June 2, 2014 7:21 a.m.

There's nothing worse than a politician trying to convince us that he's not a politician.

• U-tar Woodland Hills, UT
    June 2, 2014 7:36 a.m.

Hope not.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    June 2, 2014 8:44 a.m.

@RosaMaria 2:26 a.m. June 2, 2014

----------------------

Huntsman was not the arrogant, entited Latter-day Saint with the arrogant wife and children running for president in 2012. That was the other guy -- the one who got the nomination. Thankfully the voters of the US agreed with your position that "We don't want people with the sense of entitlement in the WH" and sent them packing.

• Darrel Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 2, 2014 9:29 a.m.

I really hope he does. He would be the only GOP candidate I would even consider supporting. I would love to see him run with something along the lines of his "No labels" mantra he does on satellite radio.

• brotherJonathan SLC, UT
    June 2, 2014 9:33 a.m.

I sent this questionnaire and got no reply. If any official under oath would make a choice and sign it? We the people could defend our Equality under all laws now clearly broken with bribery.
    I am a public official under oath (or may become one) and must have an opinion about the use of money or promises to influence any public official in the discharge of his or her public or legal duties.
    I agree that corporate political contributions are not lawful and violate state and federal bribery statutes because of "corporate mission laws" that protect share holders funds (from fraud/embezzlement); funds must be spent on profit, potential profit or humanitarian expenditures only. So intent cannot be freedom of speech but seeking influence for profit.
    Name(print)-. Sign-. date
    If you believe that corporate contributions (under corporate mission laws) are lawful: Sign down here instead:
    Name(print)-. Sign-. date

BRIBERY: The offering, giving, receiving, or soliciting of something of value for the purpose of influencing the action of an official in the discharge of his or her public or legal duties. unlawful by constitutional Equality Under All Laws. (original created Feb. 14, 2014)

• FT salt lake city, UT
    June 2, 2014 9:36 a.m.

The GOP has no chance of the WH in 2016 unless a candidate like Huntsman some how gets the nomination. Given the changing demographics and the declining white male vote the GOP would need to gather more support from woman, hispanics and the youth than they did in 2012. Huntsman would appeal to those voters but any objective person would tell you that Cruz, Ryan, or Rubio has no chance.

• Understands Math Lacey, WA
    June 2, 2014 9:50 a.m.

I see some people referring to Huntsman as a liberal, which is baffling to me. He isn't a liberal. He's a conservative, just not the kind of politician that passes as "conservative" in the Republican party today.

He's much in the same vein as the popular conservatives in Europe like Angela Merkel or David Cameron.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    June 2, 2014 9:58 a.m.

Jon Huntsman is a breeze of fresh air that the GOP is sorely lacking. He marches to his own drumbeat which is closer to the pulse of mainstream America. He would govern from the center which is not what the far right wants in a standard bearer.

• docport1 ,
    June 2, 2014 10:29 a.m.

Huntsman is a Republican that I can support and those are few and far between these days.

• Laura Bilington Maple Valley, WA
    June 2, 2014 11:13 a.m.

Huntsman is intelligent, honest, principled, and believes in equal rights. That is why he will never be president--unless he runs as a Democrat.

• Mack2828 Ft Thomas, KY
    June 2, 2014 11:17 a.m.

I think he was successful politically in Utah because of his dad. On the national stage he just comes across as a light weight (some say he comes across as creepy, but to try to not run afoul of the DN moderators, I will stick with light weight).
    Some politicians have got "it" and some just don't. In my opinion, Mr Huntsman is in the latter category.

• Palmetto Bug Columbia, SC
    June 2, 2014 11:24 a.m.

Huntsman has been my preferred presidential candidate for many years. I've heard him speak in person a couple times and always came away impressed.

• Robroy Murray, utah
    June 2, 2014 11:36 a.m.

He would make a nice candidate for the Democrats.

• Redshirt1701 Deep Space 9, Ut
    June 2, 2014 11:58 a.m.

The fact that so many of the liberal people want Huntsman and would support him is enough to drive the GOP away. And that is a good thing. I would love to see the GOP run a canidate that didn't just represent socialism-lite to the Democrat hard core socialist. It would be refreshing to have a 2 canidates that represent opposite philosophies.

• Laura Bilington Maple Valley, WA
    June 2, 2014 12:15 p.m.

@Redshirt1701, those "socialist" programs that you sneer at are things like Social Security and Medicare. I truly hope that the GOP picks somebody who wants to dismantle these, like they did the last election. Then the Democrats will win in a landslide.

• DonO Draper, UT
    June 2, 2014 12:17 p.m.

Huntsman is a very bright guy and a realist, so he knows he has no base and no constituency for a 2016 presidential run. He also is savvy enough to keep his name "out there" by not saying unequivocally that he won't run. I can see him as a viable VP candidate for a GOP right-winger who's looking for a centrist to balance a ticket. I also believe he'd love to be someone's Secretary of State, though I think he'd take any cabinet position.

All of that said, it would gladden my heart if he were to run against Mike Lee.

• Bastiatarian TUCSON, AZ
    June 2, 2014 12:22 p.m.

>He isn't a liberal.

Call him what you want, but a big-spending statist is a big-spending statist, whatever letter his puts to the right of his name.

Personally, I don't need more people taking my property and telling me what to do.

• Flyer St. George, UT
    June 2, 2014 1:05 p.m.

Huntsman should do us all a favor and ride off into the sunset. As they say in Texas, he's all hat and no cattle.

• sg newhall, CA
    June 2, 2014 1:16 p.m.

Please don't. I found him to be arrogant and self-serving. Is he really that intelligent to be part of a think tank? I don't think so. I'd rather see Ben Carson be nominated. End of any long, drawn out primary. Huntsman? No. He just loves to hear the sound of his voice. I wasn't impressed with him when he ran last time. He's more like an empty hat. There's just something about him I don't care for....maybe it's that platinum spoon stuck in his mouth?

• Redshirt1701 Deep Space 9, Ut
    June 2, 2014 1:48 p.m.

To "Laura Bilington" yes, we need to get rid of SS and Medicare. We also need to get rid of Obamacare, WIC, SNAP, Medicaid, and all of the other entitlement programs that we have.

We can't just dump those programs because promises were made to the American public that must be kept. However, we can phase out those programs and return grown-up responsibilites to each individual.

Just look at SS. If you took your 6%, plus the 7% that your employer pays into SS and added that to your 6% that you save in your 401K, you could retire at age 65 and never have to worry about money. However, since the government is taking over 2/3 of the money for your retirement, you money could possibly run out within 20 years of retirement.

Tell us, would you rather never worry about your retirement money, or do you want the government to take 2/3 of your retirement and promise to pay you back part of what they took?

• Ralph Salt Lake City, UT
    June 2, 2014 1:57 p.m.

Huntsman is a moderate. Therefore he will get no GOP support.

Someone has got to steer the GOP away from the cliff. The crazies have been in charge of the GOP for too long.

Bring back the real Republicans, the true Conservatives.

• golong Washington, UT
    June 2, 2014 3:27 p.m.

Huntsman's in the wrong party, he should run as a Democrat. He'll go nowhere as I Republican. Personally, I think he's one of the worst possible GOP candidates out there.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    June 2, 2014 3:53 p.m.

Furry.....Thankfully the voters of the US agreed with your position that "We don't want people with the sense of entitlement in the WH" and sent them packing?

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

The Obama's and their sense of entitlement wont be packing until 2016!

• kargirl Sacramento, CA
    June 2, 2014 8:31 p.m.

RedShirt, you wish to get rid of SS and Medicare. We also need to get rid of Obamacare, WIC, SNAP, Medicaid, and all of the other entitlement programs that we have. Do you think that, all of those on these programs have 401ks? No, they don't. You may. I'm happy for you, if you do. So while those who do have 401ks--which, btw, went pitifully down during the recession begun during the last president's term in office and were rescued when Wall Street recovered under this one's--they don't affect health care, children of the poor, elderly, frail, medically needy, or hungry. Those with chronic, longterm needs are beyond the help of charities and food banks. It then leaves to those who would be fine without these programs, I do imagine, to step over the bodies of those who have dies needlessly in the streets, of illness, untreated chronic disease, lack of proper food and housing. Just a little bit of the third world just to remind the others how fortunate they were not to be one of those poor people...right?

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    June 2, 2014 10:54 p.m.

Chuck, you really got it wrong!! 4,000,000 GOP voters stayed home because Mitt is Mormon. Born-again folks really did "cut off their nose to spite their face". Not a hard thing to figure out.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    June 3, 2014 8:18 a.m.

To "kargirl" there are many people who are not poor that do no have a 401K. Too many people don't bother to save for retirement because they think that Social Security will be there when they retire.

Yes there are those that need long term help, but the current set of government entitlements do not work. They are abused and have fraud rampant throughout the programs.

Going on welfare should not be so easy, nor should it be pleasant.

• kargirl Sacramento, CA
    June 4, 2014 1:34 a.m.

RedShirt, it is neither. You must not know much about it. Lucky you.

• Pendergast Salt Lake City, UT
    June 4, 2014 8:37 a.m.

per Baron Scarpia on page 1

Ironically, JHJ is the exact type of Republican that would turn off the religious right and tea partiers.

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    June 6, 2014 5:18 p.m.

@Redshirt1701
    Socialist-lite doesn't become Governor of Utah and certainly wouldn't then proceed to get re-elected in a 4:1 landslide.