BYU football to play Texas on Fox Sports 1 in primetime

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 29, 2014 1:44 p.m.

So byu can't get an ESPN game on Saturday? I thought they were a big time program with a fanbase all over the world?

Why is ESPN picking on byu and making us play on Thursdays and Fridays? Why doesn't ESPN just show us Saturday afternoon on ESPN? We're like Notre Dame

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 29, 2014 1:53 p.m.

Note the games that are on national TV and the games that are not, including the one on the PAC 12 Sports Network.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    May 29, 2014 2:00 p.m.

Look forward to the game. BYU was clearly the better team last year as they absolutely stomped the Longhorns. Oh, wait a minute, the Sagarin rankings say otherwise. That's the true indicator of who the better team is. Head to head matchups are meaningless. Texas was superior; even though they got crushed.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    May 29, 2014 2:06 p.m.

@ U-PAC
    you can look up the FS1 schedule already it is a nationally televised game. (no other games on at the same time)
    Fox Sports 1 is in 90 million homes in the US ESPN 98 million.
    Fox Sports 1 is the equivalent of ESPN
    The BIG 12 is guaranteed 25 televised games a year on ABC, FOX, FS1, and ESPN networks. And 1 of those games is going to BYU out of 120 possible big 12 games.
    Education is wonderful

• Lifelong Ute Salt Lake City, UT
    May 29, 2014 2:17 p.m.

and byu fans will they the quality of their program had something do with this. It didn't. Just see how many primetime Saturday games byu has. Zero

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    May 29, 2014 2:18 p.m.

Spokane,

Unlike Utah "fans" I'm not flip flopping. If the experts ranked Texas ahead of byu its because Texas is a better team. See how simple that was? You should try using less hate and more logic in your comments once in a while.

• IDC Boise, ID
    May 29, 2014 2:20 p.m.

Please no games on the PAC 12 network. That is the only one listed I don't get. Go Cougars.

• tyler11385 Springville, UT
    May 29, 2014 2:35 p.m.

Wait, are PAC 12 fans really dissing FOX sports...??? Isn't that who the PAC 12 is contracted with?

• spokaloo White Salmon, WA
    May 29, 2014 2:53 p.m.

The day the Utah program will have arrived is when Utah fans don't stalk their computers waiting to comment on BYU articles.

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    May 29, 2014 3:08 p.m.

Good to see that the fans of the Iowa State of the Pac-12 are still interested in BYU football.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    May 29, 2014 3:18 p.m.

@Sports are great,

Not hating at all, just asking a question. What is "hatefull" regarding my post? Why in the world are BYU fans so sensitive? It's not as if the usual band of BYU fans stay clear of Utah articles. Please! So which experts are you referring to AP, USA Today, Sagarin, Harris Poll...?

Of course BYU was better than Texas last year. They may have been a few spots behind them in the Sagarin rankings; but they destroyed them on the field. See how simple that is? No formula or poll (popularity contest) required. Lighten BYU fans, just a little back and forth and interesting debate.....sheeesh!

• 1978 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 29, 2014 3:26 p.m.

Once again an article about BYU has more comments from Utah fans than BYU. I must admit I enjoy the comments they usually make me laugh.

I like most BYU fans don't usually read or comment on Utah articles because I only am interested in teams with winning records that make it to bowl games.

If your whole claim to fame is an association with the PAC-12 and a winning record against your "irrelevant" former rival then you have found true happiness. Congratulations?

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    May 29, 2014 3:28 p.m.

@ Spakaloo

Utah arrived when they knocked off top 5 Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. I doubt the rest of the county monitor's these threads when considering who has and hasn't arrived. Lighten up guy, I believe these threads already have a monitor in place.

• midpacmajor Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 29, 2014 3:54 p.m.

Chris B

"So BYU can't get an ESPN game on Saturday?"

Texas controls the broadcast rights to Texas home games, but it is laughable that you're dissing a national primetime broadcast on FOX Sports 1, since they're one of the PAC 12's broadcast partners.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    May 29, 2014 3:56 p.m.

Y Grad / Y Dad
    Richland, WA

-------

What a hypocrite.

Blasting Utah at every turn for games on Fox Sports 1, but acting like it's all big and bad when BYU plays there.

What a joke.

The point is this. BYU versus Texas is such a big matchup that ESPN didn't even care to televise it in a prime time spot, or Fox for that matter.

I'm sure the network suits were excited by seeing Texas play. But not so much for that other team they were playing.

Enjoy the dose of reality.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    May 29, 2014 3:58 p.m.

BeSmart
    Cheyenne, WY
    @ U-PAC
    Fox Sports 1 is in 90 million homes in the US ESPN 98 million.
    Fox Sports 1 is the equivalent of ESPN
    -----------

Thanks but we already know this dude. Utah plays on FS 1 all the time.

Thanks for making our argument.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    May 29, 2014 4:00 p.m.

1978
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Once again an article about BYU has more comments from Utah fans than BYU.

---------

That's because BYU fans are steering clear of this one, as it's not exactly a compliment to your team... especially given your contract with ESPn.

I'm sure every BYU fan expected this game to be ABC primetime. It got kicked down a couple notches, with a hefty dose of reality, and BYU fans are avoiding this article like the plague.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    May 29, 2014 4:02 p.m.

A neighbor has a PAC12 sticker on his car. Not a Utah sticker. Strange to affiliate with a conference rather than a team.

Being on TV is better than not, no matter the day of the week. And being on TV that can actually be seen is even better! Go Cougars!

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    May 29, 2014 4:02 p.m.

Spokane,

Just chill dude, you're fine. No need to get all flustered. I can tell you're getting all defensive.

You are the one who brought up the fact that a ranking showed Texas ahead of byu, so why are you now asking about polls. Unlike ute "fans" I can stay consistent in my responses. If byu beats a team that ends up higher in a poll done by experts, that experts opinion holds more weight than anyone on these boards. So if Texas was ranked higher as you suggest - great, they were the better team.

It's clear you're dislike of byu is causing you to start arguing with yourself. You start by suggesting a higher Sagarin ranking means Texas is better even though byu won, and then you start asking me about polls? You're spinning yourself in circles pal. You'll be ok friend, I promise. It was just a friendly suggestion to use more logic in your comments instead of letting your dislike for byu take control of your thoughts. No need to get all worked up.

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    May 29, 2014 4:36 p.m.

Tomahawk Red,

Utes are on Fox Sports 1 all the time? I seem to recall that I was able to watch less than half of the Ute games last season because the largest satellite provider in the country didn't (and still doesn't) carry the station televising their games. (FYI, I get Fox Sports 1)

• hamrdown OREM, UT
    May 29, 2014 4:53 p.m.

I think a little clarification is due: First, this game will be on FS1 national, meaning the entire country in Primetime on a Saturday night. This is not the same as the Fox Sports regional games that are broadcast to certain areas of the country - usually affiliated with the teams that are playing.

This is a big TV game and Fox has placed it in the primetime spot. What more needs to be said? Is it because of Texas? Probably. Is it because of BYU - Maybe. Or is it because Fox is hoping that these two teams will play a great game that puts lots of eyes on the TV? That is my guess. Fox knows that people will watch these two teams play and thus, they have placed the game in a great TV spot.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    May 29, 2014 5:01 p.m.

Oh the schedule envy has begun.

The utes can't compete in the Pac 12, and now whines of their tough schedule.

I guess playing Washington State is easier then Texas.

LOL!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    May 29, 2014 5:05 p.m.

Sportsaregreat,

I'm not upset in the least bit so please don't pretend to know how I feel. I've always put a whole lot more weight into what happens on the field then the polls. Are there flukes and huge upsets from time to time? Of Course, but generally the better team wins. A very simple concept and one that I have backed over the years. I don't dislike BYU. Some of there fans are a bit much but that can be said about any fan base. Also, I'm not your Pal or your Friend. I don't recall ever having dialogue with you before. I'm just a sports fan who supports Utah. I hope that helps with your understanding of Spokane Uta. Have a good evening Guy!

• wyoming cougar Green River, WY
    May 29, 2014 6:18 p.m.

This has to be a mistake as all of my friends from the north keep telling me how irrelevant BYU is- they'd never play on national tv in prime time.

I mean first of all, I'm not sure why they're even allowed to play a P5 program, let alone have it be broadcast. So much for all of the comments from the hill telling us about how BYU is totally irrelevant.

Congrats on your PAC affiliation, I'm glad you got what you wanted as you now get to see what it's like having big time programs visit your house. BYU has known that for years with home games in the past with FSU, Penn State, Miami, Notre Dame, UCLA, Stanford, Washington, etc. Tou never knew what that was like until your new conference affiliation worked out as the biggest games you ever had at home before that were against BYU and tcu.

BYU has been relevant for decades and will continue to be (although I would prefe a conference membership currently). Good luck this year- maybe you can beat the WSU cougars to get bowl eligible.

• Darren Rowe Heber City, UT
    May 29, 2014 6:55 p.m.

@Chris B

Of course BYU can get an ESPN game on a Saturday. Let's look at last year.
    @Virginia? Check
    Texas? Check
    Utah? Check
    Georgia Tech? Check
    @Houston? Check
    @Wisconsin? Check

Also, Notre Dame was on NBC on a Saturday.

BYU also had multiple games on Thursday or Friday on ESPN, including MTSU, Utah State, and Boise State. Our only non-ESPN or NBC games were Nevada and Idaho St, but I don't think anyone would be on ESPN against those teams. You know your program is important when even a game against Middle Tennessee State is on ESPN.

Apparently you don't understand how our ESPN contract works. This year we will get plenty of ESPN games on Saturday. Our ESPN contract has them take 5 of our home games, leaving the other for byutv. Meaning Houston, Virginia, Nevada, Utah State, and UNLV we be on ESPN and Savannah State is left for byutv. And I didn't even mention the road games against UConn, UCF, and Boise on ESPN. Yes they are weekdays, but they are ESPN. And weekday games usually get better TV ratings anyway, so I'm fine with that.

• Darren Rowe Heber City, UT
    May 29, 2014 7:06 p.m.

@Tomahawk Red

Let me teach you how TV deals work. It looks like you need some help in this area.

Our ESPN contract does not apply to road games. In any game involving any teams in college football, the home team's broadcast deal is what applies. So when BYU goes to Big 12 country, they play under the Big 12's broadcasting rules. When we play on ESPN on the road, it is under the ESPN deal of the conference we are visiting, not our deal. So ESPN did not shoot us down, the Big 12 made the decision for this game, and Fox Sports 1 is a perfectly fine station to play on.

The only exception is when the home team gives up the TV rights to the road team. This rarely happens, but one example is the BYU vs. Oregon State game in 2011. The Pac-12 did not pick up the game because their other spots were filled, so BYU aired it.

• Elmer Fudd Sandy, Utah
    May 29, 2014 7:39 p.m.

"BYU football to play Texas on Fox Sports 1 in primetime"

Really? Not ESPN? I thought surely this game against a storied program Texas would land on the world wide leader in sports. Either Texas is a mediocre program or BYU just isn't that attractive of an opponent for Texas to put on one of the ESPN platforms.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    May 29, 2014 7:56 p.m.

Spokane,

Help with my understanding of "Spokane uta?" It's funny when people refer to themselves in the third person. Yes, I know you are a Utah "fan." No dislike for byu? Right, and duckhunter doesn't dislike Utah, he's just a byu fan who happens to have almost exclusively negative things to say about Utah. It's just his impartial opinion. I believe you are a decent person buddy, but your comments make it clear your feelings for byu. You were arguing both sides of the same issue, just to argue.

So silly. Take care friend.

Go cougs.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    May 29, 2014 8:45 p.m.

@ worf

"I guess playing Washington State is easier then Texas."

Is that really the road you want to go down?

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    May 29, 2014 10:35 p.m.

BYU "arrived" in 1984. Nuff said.

• HowbouthisJAZZ Saratoga Springs, UT
    May 30, 2014 12:04 a.m.

Can the Utah trolls just leave us poor BYU fans alone? As a BYU fan, I don't know or care who or when the Utes play this fall. Why do Ute fans care so much about BYU? Ute fans can't stand it when BYU is successful. Let's just leave it on the field guys. The truth is that Utah has owned BYU on the football field for a while now. There, I said it, can the trolls go away now, please? The only time I pay any attention to Utah anymore is when they play BYU. Really Ute fans, you left BYU in the dust, why do you care so much if we succeed or not? BYU will play Texas on prime time tv, who cares what station? Despite all of utah's success the past few years, BYU will still be the bigger name and will play on more TV sets. Period. The end.

• GJ Greenwood, IN
    May 30, 2014 6:44 a.m.

There are articles on Utah football?

• scenic view Baltimore, MD
    May 30, 2014 7:31 a.m.

Highlight for BYU: A prime time Saturday evening rematch with Texas on Sep 6. The game will be nationally televised on Fox Sports 1, with a 7:30 EDT kickoff.

Other nationally televised games: BYU plays UConn, Houston and Central Florida on ESPN, Boise State on either ESPN or ESPN2, Middle Tennessee State on CBS College Sports, Virginia, Utah State, Nevada, and UNLV likely on ESPN2 or ESPNU, Cal on the Pac-12 Network, and Savannah State likely on BYUtv.

----------------

Highlight for Utah: A Thursday night conference matchup with Oregon State on Oct 16. The game will be televised on Fox Sports 1, with an 8 p.m. MDT kickoff.

Other games: Idaho State (Aug 28) and Fresno State (Sep 6) on the Pac-12 Network.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    May 30, 2014 9:13 a.m.

Three months till football season, and already the fans are getting restless.

American sports are great!

• Tajemnica Santa Monica, CA
    May 30, 2014 2:12 p.m.

@ worf

Can't agree more.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 30, 2014 5:35 p.m.

Apparently some ute fans aren't familiar with how conference TV rights work. ESPN prime time Saturday is already taken by...wait for it...the game of the week! As great as Texas and BYU are I don't think they are going to be the game of the week. So the Big 12 puts BYU vs UT in the next best slot, still prime time, still national TV. This is bad how exactly? Do any of the ute fans here actually watch Saturday night football on ESPN, brought to you by the Home Depot and run all Saturday morning on CFB gameday? Apparently not. I'm pretty sure it's a compliment however when the next best thing in the conference tv lineup is given to BYU vs UT. I'd worry more about your game against Michigan, still TBA. Won't that just be terrible if it's relegated to the B1G network?

• Oh Really? HERRIMAN, UT
    May 31, 2014 4:48 p.m.

"Spokane Ute

Utah arrived when they knocked off top 5 Alabama in the Sugar Bowl."

Yes, the Utes entire self-worth and reputation is built on that one upset.

• Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    June 1, 2014 10:22 a.m.

to Tomahawk Red

Its alot like when the PAC was possibly going to be 16 teams and Utah travelling to Lubbock was a joke to Byu 'fans'

But, if Byu were to have (notice the conditional & past tense) joined the B12 then going to Stillwater would be yet another validation that Byu is a legacy program.

• Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    June 1, 2014 10:22 a.m.

to Tomahawk Red

• Mexican Ute mexico, 00
    June 1, 2014 5:41 p.m.

Might be able to see this game down in Mexico.

HOOK EM HORNS!

As for the BYU fans griping about the Utes in the Pac 12, BYU was offered a position in the Pac 10 after their NC win in 1984 and seasons similar to what Utah has accomplished since Urban Meyer entered the coaching position there. BYU said, Or me and Utah, or no way.

What goes around comes around.