Report: Oregon Ducks quarterback Damion Hobbs transferring to Utah State

Comments

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    May 29, 2014 2:04 p.m.

Well he'll get a lot of playing time. However, instead of potentially playing for the National Title he'll have to settle for the Potato Bowl or the Poinsettia Bowl. Hope you're happy with your choice kid.

• RSLfanalways Why, AZ
    May 29, 2014 2:44 p.m.

There is going to be a good competition for the Quarterback position for the next few years. If Hobbs doesn't make it as a quarterback, he could be a good running back or wide receiver.

• Utehaterforlife West Valley, UT
    May 29, 2014 3:40 p.m.

So is this like quarterback number 9 at Utah?

May 29, 2014 9:24 p.m.

Stang0, he will get more playing time at USU than at Oregon where he was likely not to play at all. USU is loaded with QB talent, it will be interesting to see who surfaces in two years out of Garretson, Hobbs, or Myers. For those interested check out the highlights of these QBs on video. Here are the senior stats on these players:

Darell Garretson - Passing-211/316 (67% Comp.), 3065 yards, 27 TD's, 6 INT. Rushing- 69car./347 yards, 7 TD's
    Kent Myers - Passing- 218/301 (72% Comp.), 3331 yards, 41 TD's, 4 INT. Rushing- 76car./569 yards, 10 TD's
    Damion Hobbs - Passing- 200/297 (67% Comp.), 2591 yards, 27 TD's, 7 INT. Rushing- 180car./763 yards, 11 TD's

• Hailstorm is a coming Riverdale, UT
    May 29, 2014 10:18 p.m.

Utehaterforlife
    The school is Utah State University that he is transferring to, not the University of Utah.

• Alex T Murray, UT
    May 29, 2014 10:24 p.m.

utehaterforlife

He is transferring to utah STATE. Not Utah.

Read the article.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    May 29, 2014 10:49 p.m.

@Utehaterforlife

It's Utah State he's transferring to. Not Utah.

@Stang08

I don't understand your hate for the Aggies. Everyone likes the Aggies? Did your affections get rebuffed when you tried to become a True Aggie, or what?

• Northwest Reader Vancouver, WA
    May 30, 2014 3:30 a.m.

Looks like a nice addition to follow up Chuckie. Welcome Damion!

• Waylon77 Logan, UT
    May 30, 2014 7:36 a.m.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out since Myers will be eligible this year. He could really secure his spot if he impresses in the fall. He ought to be able to leapfrog Harrison (and maybe Garretson) at any rate.

I have a feeling that DJ Nelson is not going to want to stick around when he gets back from his mission.

• Hailstorm is a coming Riverdale, UT
    May 30, 2014 8:09 a.m.

Waylon77
    Logan, UT

Not if Bronco and players can apply enough peer pressure.

• Big 12 Call Yet? Ogden, UT
    May 30, 2014 9:04 a.m.

utehater,

Utah State. University of Utah Pac 12 Utes

Those are different teams

One is a fun regional WAC program that once every 10-20 years will beat their big brother rivals and it will be the highlight of their decade.

The other is a power 5 Pac 12 team with multiple top 5 finishes in recent years.

Big big difference. Please don't confuse them.

May 30, 2014 9:12 a.m.

Damion looks like a real athlete, and Myer's 41 TD's 4 int is jaw dropping. Been forever since USU has been able to attract this quality of athlete. Thank you coach Anderson and Wells!

May 30, 2014 9:51 a.m.

I think it is Big 12 call yet that is confused (maybe Chris B?). How does the U have multiple top 5 finishes in recent years? By my recollection the U is the football bottom dweller of the Pac 12. (what is their PAC 12 football won loss record?) Believe me, USU does not want to be confused with either the U or BYU. We are enjoying the best of times, U of U is just an Elavil above depression.

• Oh Really? HERRIMAN, UT
    May 30, 2014 1:35 p.m.

Looks like this QB has the audible down...

• RSLfanalways Why, AZ
    May 30, 2014 1:42 p.m.

Too bad the UoU cancelled their game with USU this year. I understand why they cancelled it, they were afraid they would lose to USU, and that would mean it would be harder to get those six wins that have eluded them for the last couple years.

May 30, 2014 2:25 p.m.

Big 12...way to go..you get your pleasure from belittling others and the accomplishments of others. It has been bad times for the Aggies...now much better. Who do you think is having more fun, an Aggie fan or a Ute football fan? We will never be able to compete at the same level as Utah on a consistent basis, just as Utah will never be able to compete with USC, Arizona State, Arizona, Cal, Stanford, Oregon on a consistent basis. But at least we are where we belong.

May 30, 2014 11:08 p.m.

PAC 12…if you are having more fun with no bowls and bottom part of the conference enjoy! USU is competitive in its conference. I put this to you, would you belittle the IVY league because Harvard/Yale/Princeton can't compete with the power conference schools?
    But Utah has a definite disadvantage in the four C's for recruiting in the PAC:
    1. College….Stanford, Berkeley A+ Utah C
    2. Culture….USC, UCLA Stanford A+ Utah D
    3. Climate USC UCLA Stanford A+ Utah D (maybe F the winters are gruesome)
    4. Coeds USC Arizona State Arizona A+ Utah D

I'm happy for Utah being in the PAC 12, just as I am happy that USU isn't there, you are right we would not be able to compete. Does that make USU less worth while? It's success any less of an achievement. Get back to me when the U is competitive. Utah should be ashamed they lost to USU two years ago by your warped sense of sports and competition.

• chhs2 Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 31, 2014 11:19 a.m.

It is interesting that the majority of mail on a USU article or a BYU article is always from U of U supporters. I wonder why that is. Give a program credit where credit is due. It would be great to see all programs from Utah win and achieve their significant goals.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    May 31, 2014 2:46 p.m.

@AggieAlum

Utah was in the original MWC when that conference meant something. Utah/BYU/TCU made the original MWC. Now it probably ranks right up there with the Sun Belt.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    May 31, 2014 5:32 p.m.

Chris B is trolling us again? Hilarious!

He obviously pays more attention to those pesky Aggies than he cares to admit, so that means we're doing something right. All the PAC smack in the world won't convince me otherwise. Oh, by the way we had far more players enter the NFL this year than U did. And our TV ratings were higher last season. Congrats, the P12 network is the new MTN.

At least our conference peers respect us. Utah can't seriously claim that programs like USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Arizona State respect the U. That's lunacy. Besides, Utah hasn't beaten the Sun Devils since 1976.

The only reason Utah had a decent first season in the PAC was because UCLA, Oregon State, Arizona, and Wazzou were all firing their coaches due to poor performance.

Utah traded their heart and soul (and wins) for the almighty dollar. Sure hope it was worth it for U, Chris.

May 31, 2014 8:06 p.m.

Stang0…so what if it is "right up there with the Sun Belt"? The MWC is still above the Big Sky, don't you agree? What is important is having a conference of near equals. USU is in the best possible fit given its size, financial resources. How do you think USU would fare if they played just Weber State, SUU, NAU, Montana, Montana State? In other words were in your SUU conference.

• Aggie84 Idaho Falls, ID
    June 1, 2014 3:16 a.m.

Richard, Richard, Richard. I have bought an extra ticket for you to come see some quality football again.
    Have to admit that your hate for the Aggies is as strong as my love for the team where the sagebrush grows.

• 08Stanley Salt Lake City, UT
    June 1, 2014 10:59 a.m.

The Aggies would get killed in the Big Sky conference cause I said so. My birds would dominate them cause I said so. We will score 6 whole points against them the next time we meet. It won't be a game in 2015, it will never be close.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    June 1, 2014 3:25 p.m.

I don't agree at all tinplater. Montana, Montana State, NAU, Eastern Washington would all make you sweat and may beat you. Those are top conference, top country teams and could beat anyone. I'm sure Richard will take you up on that offer Aggie84. I, Stang08 however will decline and watch great football down South in a quality conference. But keep asking Richard. He has to answer sometime. Imitation is still the sincerest form of flattery. I've never said that but I'm glad someone pretending to be me because he respects me so does.

June 1, 2014 6:20 p.m.

Stang0 I think you may be the only person on the planet that thinks the Big Sky Teams would consistently beat USU. Judging from Weber State and SUU against the Aggies, it hasn't even been a contest. I suggest you go and review the USU SUU scores again..USU 3 wins no losses. Total points in the series…117 USU 47 SUU (and the score was held down in the final quarter of all three games). Utah State plays at a higher level than the Big Sky, just as the PAC 12 plays at a higher level than USU. It is just the way it is. Smaller schools, smaller resources, less prestigious conference..but doesn't mean you can't have great football at all the different levels.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    June 1, 2014 10:01 p.m.

USU or anyone in your conference. No I'm not. Are you talking about football or basketball? Football has been the past two years. I wasn't talking about middle of the pack and low ranking BigSky schools. I was talking about the top schools. USU isn't great football.

June 2, 2014 7:20 a.m.

Stang0 I would welcome comments from others who feel that USU wouldn't be at the top of the pack in the Big Sky in major sports. As memory serves USU has dominated the schools you mention (certainly Montana, NAU and Montana State) don't know how many of the others they have played. But again let's have some one beside Stang0 educate me on how strong the Big Sky is compared to MWC.

• 08Stanley Salt Lake City, UT
    June 2, 2014 11:37 a.m.

Mockery is the same thing as flattery. the Big sky is the bestest conferance in all college football.

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    June 2, 2014 2:43 p.m.

Big 12 Call Yet?
    Ogden, UT

"The other [presumably Utah?] is a power 5 Pac 12 team with multiple top 5 finishes in recent years.

Big big difference. Please don't confuse them."

Can't be Utah. Multiple top five finishes in recent years would only apply to Stanford and Oregon.

Utah and Vandy are in "power" conferences, but they--as bottom dwellers--do NOT supply the power. So I think folks very well might "confuse them."

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    June 2, 2014 2:54 p.m.

Stang08
    Southern, UT

"I was talking about the top schools. USU isn't great football."

Uhhh, Stang. Didn't the "great" football team, the Utes, get a fluke win over USU just before Chuckie Keaton got hurt?

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    June 2, 2014 3:26 p.m.

Hey fellow Aggies, isn't it great to have haters? Weak, irrelevant programs don't have haters. The more hateful, the better!

June 2, 2014 5:57 p.m.

Stang0, "USU isn't great football"? Great is subjective, what is not, however, is being competitive. USU is competitive in it's conference and plays very entertaining football. Whether it is great or not depends upon your point of view. Greatest game I ever saw was Harvard/Yale 28-28 tie. Still no one would accuse the Crimson or the Eli's (or the entire Ivy League) of playing great football. But that tie game has been the single most amazing football game I have witnessed.

June 2, 2014 7:08 p.m.

Just noticed SUU is scheduled to play USU first game 2015. Chance for Stang0 to pony up and tell us what he predicts the score/outcome to be as USU plays the upper echelon of Big Sky football.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    June 2, 2014 9:51 p.m.

@Tinplater

I predict the 2015 game between the birds and the Ags will be close... until after the national anthem. Then it will be all Ags, all the time, just like it was in 2012. I bet Damion Hobbs starts for the Ags and torches the birds 41-10.

Original recipe? No, extra crispy please!

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    June 3, 2014 1:19 a.m.

I can't predict a score tinplater but Sambone's attitude says we shouldn't even have the game. I know you supposedly don't read my comments Sambone but try to be a little more realistic and have faith in our guys. Yes I know you secretly cheer for SUU. What I do know is you won't have your hero so SUU could keep it close. I don't think you've ever scored 41 points on us have you? Have you ever scored 41 points on anyone?

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    June 3, 2014 8:37 a.m.

I'm in the group that can't imagine why anyone would rip USU's football team or its fans. Yes, their ambitions may not include the words "national title" (like 95% of the FBS), but consider where they come from. When five wins in a season used to feel like a moral victory, why begrudge fans the right to enjoy the relative glory of winning the Potato Bowl or Creamed Corn Bowl?

I always giggle when I read some fan write "the University of Utah Pac-12 Utes" or some variation thereof. Consider the following made-up conversation and see if it feels familiar:

"May I introduce my good friend, Bill Smith?"

"Hello, Mr. Smith. How do you do?"

"Actually, it's Doctor Smith. I am a DOCTOR. Yes, I am Dr. Bill Smith, a real doctor who earned a doctorate degree. It's very prestigious, my doctorate; oh yes. Just because it's honorary doesn't mean I didn't earn it. You don't have one, do you?"

Ute fans, you are collectively Dr. Bill Smith. I doubt many USC fans identify themselves as "the University of Southern California Pac-12 Trojans!"

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    June 3, 2014 10:41 a.m.

Its funny watching USU and SUU fans battle it out. They'll continue to be great rivals for many years.

June 3, 2014 11:31 a.m.

@Chris B,
    I enjoy your interest in USU. How do you see Utah battling it out with SC, Standford, UCLA, Cal, Oregon, Arizona and AZ State when you have to contend with Salt Lake City culture, Salt Lake City Climate, the greater resources of the above universities financially, and better coaching? All things being equal if I am a star athlete and have offers from above and Utah, I'm off to the climate and culture of the non Utah schools. I see Utah trying hard but failing as a football presence in the PAC 12.

June 3, 2014 12:06 p.m.

At Stang0, USU ever score 41 points? How about the 70-6 beating of Big Sky member Weber State? And that score was actually held down in the second half, otherwise might have been 100.

• oregonaggie1 Salem, OR
    June 3, 2014 12:31 p.m.

I think Washington State must be thrilled,, because Utah has taken their place at the bottom of the Pac-11 1/2,,

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    June 3, 2014 1:02 p.m.

No disrespect to Weber but it's Weber. I believe that year they had two/three coaching changes before the season even started so they were inevitably going to be on a downhill slide. Again no disrespect WSU fan's but you know this to be true. Correct me on the coaching changes I know I'm exaggerating a lot. Against middle of the pack BigSky teams or top BigSky teams you haven't come close to 40 points. Once again tinplater needs to check the facts.

June 3, 2014 3:00 p.m.

Stang0, read what you post..you asked if USU had scored 41 points on anyone...they scored 70 on Weber...answering your question that is all.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    June 3, 2014 3:04 p.m.

Now isn't that typical: when confronted with legit questions about the Utes' long-term future and viability in the PAC, Chris is nowhere to be seen. I agree with tinplater, he brings up some valid points about what Utah has to compete with in other PAC schools. And back to back losing seasons isn't helping the Utes either.

Besides, if Chris's Utes were legit PAC contenders, he wouldn't waste any time at all on USU or BYU articles. I mean, they're just small fry compared to Utah's Rose bowl aspirations, right Chris?

Arizona hasn't made a Rose bowl appearance since joining the PAC decades ago, so why is Utah going to fare better?

I eagerly anticipate your response, Chris.

June 3, 2014 3:10 p.m.

Stang0, since you advise me to "check your facts" check this out. You asked if USU scored 41 points on ANYONE...I offered the 70 on Weber. But if that is not enough, how about, from just last season, 52 on air force, 70 Weber State, 45 New Mexico, 47 Hawaii. Yes Stang0, the Aggies have scored more than 41 points on their competition, multiple times in just one year. Hopefully Sept. 2014 will have another team added to the list of more than 41, SUU.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    June 3, 2014 8:44 p.m.

tinplater read my posts. I said top or middle of the pack BigSky teams not bottom dwellers. WSU is a bottom dweller. Again I can't stress enough that I mean no disrespect but it's the truth. The rest of those schools are bottom dwellers of the WAC 2.0 so let me rephrase. Have you scored 40+ points against a TOP school? If the game is actually taking place I need you to get the date right. We don't play the mighty 2nd place Aggies from the WAC 2.0 in Sept 2014. Believe me I've checked SUU's schedule multiple times. The only WAC 2.0 school we play in Nevada.

June 3, 2014 9:45 p.m.

Stang0 my typo error… Sept. 2015 we get the chance to play SUU again. The Aggies can only win the games they play, currently are 4 wins no losses to the Big Sky in the last five years. Stang0 read your own posts..here is a direct quote from you:

" I don't think you've ever scored 41 points on us have you? Have you ever scored 41 points on anyone?"

No where are you talking about what calibre of team. We have dropped a lot of points on SUU in two games…are they bottom dwellers?

• 08Stanley Salt Lake City, UT
    June 3, 2014 10:24 p.m.

A new quorterback wont help Utah state. People clearly ruhspect me when their laughing at me.

June 4, 2014 11:13 a.m.

Stang0, in response to your question "I don't think you've ever scored 41 points on us have you?" check out the score USU 53 SUU 34 about five years ago. 53 is more than 41.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    June 4, 2014 1:20 p.m.

I thought you would've picked up on the unspoken words. Any top BigSky school. But I guess I was wrong. Still laying on the flattery 08Stanley, I believe you meant to say Quarterback and respect. It feels good to laugh. Duh, Duh, Duh I no good at math and would never have realized that. If you are so good how could you let us score 34 points? Why didn't you score more?

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    June 4, 2014 10:55 p.m.

"Why didn't you score more?"

Probably because the Aggies called off the dogs. I'm sure they didn't want to run up the score on a far inferior program....

June 5, 2014 11:50 a.m.

Stang0, we couldn't score more than 54 points because the last quarter was played using the mascot and the cheerleaders.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    June 5, 2014 1:48 p.m.

inferior? This is why I dislike the aggies. tinplater according to you even those guys could've scored more against us but they didn't. All I want to know is, why is that? Plus SUU doesn't go up against girls so you must be exaggerating.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    June 8, 2014 3:09 p.m.

@ Stang08

Not inferior. FAR inferior.

• 08Stanley Salt Lake City, UT
    June 10, 2014 7:11 p.m.

I'm so smaart it hurts sometimes. Teams who score 54 points on my birds arent good and would never be abel to match Big Sky compitition.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2014 8:50 p.m.

Couldn't be happier to have Hobbs. We've got a full stable of dual-threat quarterbacks for when Chuckie graduates.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    June 13, 2014 11:53 p.m.

No you only think we are far inferior. That would be smart and able 08Stanley I can't wait to talk SUU football with you in person come August. You mean when Chuckie get's hurt Sambone.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    June 26, 2014 9:08 a.m.

Tinplater, et al.,

I think the difficulty is that Stang just wants to know if the Aggies have scored EXACTLY 41 points against anyone, in which case the answer is yes, the Aggies beat Toledo in the FIP Bowl in 2012 by a score of 41 to 15. In that year, U-State also beat NMSU by a score of 41 to 7. Those are the only two games since 2008 in which Utah State has scored exactly 41 points, so I guess that means we're pretty bad and we might as well just throw in the towel against any team from the mighty Big Sky.