Doug Robinson: BYU's Ed Eyestone is in for the long run

Comments

• Common-Tator Saint Paul, MN
    May 28, 2014 5:58 a.m.

Ed and his bride are an incredible team. It's no wonder his successful ways have carried over into renewed success for the distance runners at BYU ... simply an extension of who he is. Way to go, Coach!

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    May 28, 2014 8:15 a.m.

Nearly 20 years ago coach Eyestone came to speak to my HS cross country team and then joined us for an "easy" six or seven miler. Running alongside him is certainly one of the highlights in my running career. Quality guy and coach, BYU is lucky to have him.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    May 28, 2014 8:46 a.m.

Eyestone is a superstar in track & field. BYU is beyond fortunate to have him.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 28, 2014 8:53 a.m.

I followed Coach Eyestone's career and always admired his determination and abilities. When he lived in Davis County I used to see him from time to time out on training runs. He's a great inspiration to many young runners and obviously is a natural coach with the training to enhance those natural abilities.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    May 28, 2014 10:49 a.m.

I have met Ed Eyestone a few times. He is a gentleman and a class act. Good for Ed and good for BYU.

• VA-BYU Woodbridge, VA
    May 28, 2014 2:04 p.m.

I knew Ed Eyestone during my LDS mission (Spain Barcelona, not Portugal as stated in the article), and he was a classy guy then, too.

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    May 28, 2014 4:42 p.m.

My #2 son ran in the Timpview that won the state championship cross country race about 30 years ago. My son came in 5th on the TV team. So he ended up in the top 25-30 runners. Ed Eyestone was the individual winner. He was a block ahead of the second runner. What a guy.

• InspectorC Wasatch Front, UT
    May 30, 2014 4:53 p.m.

Excellent article, Doug. Superb journalism! Kudos to you.

I've known Ed since his high school days as a Bonneville Laker, and have carefully followed his life and career ever since. I was particularly glad to also see the grand-master, Coach CHICK HISLOP of Weber State, get a shout-out in this article. 8)

But I was quite surprised that nothing was really said of Ed's Olympic experiences (barely even mentioned!) Unless I'm totally blind, the article never even stated which Olympics Ed participated in!?!?

But congratulations to Ed on ALL that he's accomplished in his life, and for the tremendous example and inspiration he is to all of us. Best wishes to Ed and his family, going forward into their future!