U.S. & World

Utahns visiting D.C. grab a selfie with Obama

Comments

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    May 22, 2014 7:13 a.m.

Well, that's nice . . . Pretty cool really.

But it's not a selfie.

A selfie is a picture of oneself, maybe with others, usually taken at arms length.

. . . just sayin'.

• megaman Reston, VA
    May 22, 2014 7:25 a.m.

Cool story. Just a note this is not a selfie, which by definition would have to include in the photo the person who is taking the photo.

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    May 22, 2014 8:24 a.m.

Two of the three images are clearly "selfies".

What gives, people?

• Esquire Springville, UT
    May 22, 2014 8:53 a.m.

Who cares about the "selfie" issue?

This is cool! Awesome experience!

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    May 22, 2014 10:38 a.m.

Really cool to meet the President!

• Andy Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 22, 2014 10:38 a.m.

That's pretty cool!

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    May 22, 2014 11:04 a.m.

I bet had BO known they were from Utah he would have ignored them

• Weber State Graduate Clearfield, UT
    May 22, 2014 12:20 p.m.

I don't necessarily agree with the President's politics, but it was a nice gesture on his part.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    May 22, 2014 12:42 p.m.

A class act from a great leader.

• boneheaded, but not a smidgen SLC, UT
    May 22, 2014 12:59 p.m.

Cool? Selfie? Great Leader. Really? Because he doesn't govern but hangs out for a photo op? Nothing else is going on in barry's life. Thanks for getting to the bottom of all the scandals, barry. Period

• slcdenizen Murray, UT
    May 22, 2014 1:39 p.m.

Why is he taking selfies when he should be answering question about Benghazi!?

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    May 22, 2014 1:41 p.m.

@ lost in DC : boneheaded, but not a smidgen

Come on guys. Comments like those you wrote don't hurt the President. Those comments just illustrate your own mind set.

Relax, breath and enjoy it. It was a nice gesture. Just give it that. O.K.?

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    May 22, 2014 1:49 p.m.

Baccus0902,
    what makes you think we are trying to hurt BO?

Nah, he's just out campaigning and they are just his dupes.

• Stalwart Sentinel San Jose, CA
    May 22, 2014 2:45 p.m.

slcdenizen is spot on; let's not get distracted from the things that matter.

In fact, how do we know this "sudden" interaction on the street wasn't an orchestrated covert meeting between Obama and parr of his secret cabinet of Benghazi secret-keeper type guys. I mean, what better cover for retaining all the horrible, nasty, no good Benghazi truths than to pretend to be a BYU student? I think this calls for a House committee investigation immediately!

Also, I'm pretty sure if you look at the second picture and squint, you'll see what really happened in Benghazi.

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    May 22, 2014 3:12 p.m.

Reminds me of the time I had a serendipitous lunch with Marie Osmond at the BYU Cougar Eat. It was 1977. I think she was 17. My take away from the encounter was Marie was another Lovely BYU Coed. Gee, there were so many of them then. How was I to know my San Diego Single's ward Elder's Quorem President would marry her several later. Life is amusing for sure.

• Simpe Spectator St.George, UT
    May 22, 2014 3:40 p.m.

But first, let me take a selfie!
    #Selfie

• Really??? Kearns, UT
    May 23, 2014 6:32 a.m.

My, we have become such a critical culture, haven't we? Oh, wait, look, I am doing it now. Sorry.

How sad that we need to complain when we see our president acting like an actual human being? "He should be doing his job!" Come on, how many of you take a break for your duties during the day?

• Utefan60 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 23, 2014 5:38 p.m.

lost in DC campaigning? Really did the law change that the President can run for a third term? Great guy being a nice guy. But it does show the mindset of those who hate him.

• kargirl Sacramento, CA
    May 23, 2014 8:52 p.m.

Curmudgeonly comments aside...congratulations, you guys! It's gotta be a once-in-a-lifetime thing that anyone gets to meet a President, and especially spontaneously, without the arranged speech or town hall surrounding the event. Just out of the blue! And not all of them felt comfortable about going about meeting people in public; some have been introverts, actually. Oh, BTW, it's my hometown, so I hope you enjoyed yourself!

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    May 24, 2014 11:44 p.m.

Do you think they felt his handshake?