Utah

First debate between Love and Owens turns confrontational

Comments

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    May 20, 2014 8:44 p.m.

If Mrs. Love is afraid of her record being exposed, she should have thought of that before she accepted all that outside money to use in this election.

Utah citizens do not like outside money pouring into Utah.

Utah citizens are smart enough to understand that Mrs. Love represents the most extreme my way or the highway element in the Republican Party.

• dansimp Layton, UT
    May 20, 2014 8:44 p.m.

I'm not sure why this is characterized as attacking. Mia Love has publicly supported ending the department of education. She has publicly proposed eliminating subsidized student loans, subsidized school lunch, and many other federal grants for public school ranging into the hundreds of millions of dollars for Utah alone. Why run from that? If she believes it, and Owens points it out, how is it attacking? Stand by what you've said, then those who agree with you can vote for you, and those like me who think those positions are seriously flawed can vote for the other guy. If you did applaud the government shut down at a Mike Lee rally, own it or explain it. Its not an attack if it happened, its a fact that is vitally important for voters to know, then if they like the govt. shutdown they can vote for you, if they thought it was a ridiculous debacle like I did, they can vote for the other guy. Facts aren't attacks. Own them, or explain them, and give the people the information to choose.

• crodier Murray, UT
    May 20, 2014 8:53 p.m.

Mia Love was great. She runs a clean campaign and proves great solutions. It is unfortunate her opponent was so dirty that the moderate had to ask him to cut out the cheap shots.

• roberto Moses Lake, WA
    May 20, 2014 9:13 p.m.

Just with Owens opening statement and some of the "bad" things he attributed to Love had my vote swing to Mia.

• Utefan60 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2014 9:37 p.m.

Mia Love is the Tea Party expanded. Mr. Owens did a fine job of asking her questions that the Tea Party candidates do not want asked. The shutdown of the government was a horrible deal and yet she stands by that. It cost this country billions. She does not represent the values and "work together attitude" that Mr. Owens has. He needs to keep up the pressure, and show Utah voters her real colors. Her extreme views bought with outside money do nothing to better the citizens of Utah .

• Utah_1 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2014 9:44 p.m.

The agreed "rules" of the debate were violated in spirit as soon as Doug started speaking today. He came across as someone that couldn't stand on his own. His flyer was well done. He should have used it in the debate. Instead he spun her comments and statements so much she didn't even recognize them. Doug showed today, in my opinion he doesn't have his own ideas.

• #1 Champ Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2014 10:26 p.m.

Wow! Sounds like Owens visibly frustrated Ms. Love. Substantive and realistic solutions will need to become part of Love's campaign or I'm throwing my hat in Owens camp.

• cocosweet Sandy, UT
    May 20, 2014 10:52 p.m.

How frightening. Can you imagine no federal subsidies for our terrible under-funded education system? What does she propose, the feds give the money directly to those who staunchly under-fund it? I dread to see where that money would go...certainly not to the teachers who desperately try to teach our multitude of children. I have no trust in the Utah Senate that has repeatedly ignored the will of the UT people. At least the Feds care about the education of our children.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2014 11:00 p.m.

"...and then declared she [Love] was committed to keeping the promises made to seniors."

Can anybody tell me what that means? Does this include trying to convert SS to 401k's?

• Kipp Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2014 11:06 p.m.

I am a life-long republican that is growing old of the Tea Party antics. If Ms. Love cannot distance herself from the Tea Party, my vocal support will go against her.

Say what you will about Owens, but they are battling for the job. The same can be said about the frustration strewn across Love's face.

I'm anxious to see how else Ms. Love can highlife the color orange.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 20, 2014 11:40 p.m.

Mr. Owens, son of a former Utah Congressman and a lawyer... Well, I really don't need to know much more than that about him.

We have never fared well with political dynasties, and their sense of entitlement and superiority over the working voters (from either party!). That is strike number one. Lawyers in Congress are a plague we should be working to fix by reducing their numbers, not adding to them.

Mia Love is a shining example of the reality of the American dream where immigrants or their children can rise from poverty to success through hard work, a good education, and a willingness to take risks to get ahead. We need more people like her in Congress instead of a bunch of lawyers who hope their family name recognition will win votes and perpetuate their family's power.

No more Clintons, Bushes, Bennets, Mathesons, or Owens in office, please. We can do better.

Finally, Owens' disrespectful and combative tone was much like Rick Lazio's debate with Hillary Clinton, earning him a media tongue lashing for picking on women. I am sure that attacks on conservative black women will evoke similar outrage in the media...

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    May 21, 2014 2:04 a.m.

Owens campaign obviously jumped on the blogs immediately to declare their guy the winner. It sounds like he doesn't have much except to attack his opponent. She's tough. she can take it.

• high school fan Huntington, UT
    May 21, 2014 2:27 a.m.

Owens showed that he will run an anti-Love campaign instead of a pro Owens campaign. We have an idea who Mia Love is but we have no idea who Doug Owens is and he did not enlighten us tonight except with his negative attitude.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    May 21, 2014 5:25 a.m.

Once again it is clear that Love is not a good choice to represent Utah. Hopefully Owens will win.

• Politikyle Murray, UT
    May 21, 2014 6:27 a.m.

WOW! From the start Owens read attacks off of cards to attack Mia. I was already strongly leaning towards Mia, now I know that Doug brings nothing to the table but angry attacks. It is funny to see liberals applaud Owens for attacking a black woman when just weeks ago every attack on Obama was racist. You people need to go look in the mirror and think long and hard.

• UTAH Bill Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2014 6:29 a.m.

Mia Love is not a Conservative. She voted to raise taxes in her city three times - but rails against state or fed efforts to do the same. Her response, "It was necessary for the city to have the revenue it needs." Well, everybody says that when they want to raise taxes.

• OldSalt94 Murray, UT
    May 21, 2014 6:42 a.m.

I am not sure Mia could do a worse job....but if the state doesn't like outside money coming in then we shouldn't promote tourism so much. We should take back the federal lands so that the federal government won't continue to subsidize us for those properties. We should be independent, maybe even become our own country. Let's see who gets in office first and go from there....will we continue to slide down the slippery slope or climb back to a free state?

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    May 21, 2014 6:52 a.m.

Goodbye love, so long happiness, ... I think I'm a gonna di-ie. ;)

• RBB Sandy, UT
    May 21, 2014 6:54 a.m.

There go those "extreme" tea party types who think being $17,000,000,000,000 is a bad thing. The Democrats have it figured out. Since the American people will no longer vote for tax and spend policies, we will just spend and tax future generations who cannot vote yet. A vote for Doug Owens is a vote for Nancy Pelosi. Doug will be just like his father. Pretend to be a moderate when back in Utah, and take a hard left as soon as a lands in DC.

• Bored to the point of THIS! Ogden, UT
    May 21, 2014 6:57 a.m.

Re Crodier

Clean campaign? Is that a hope or a prediction? Or a sign of hard times.

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    May 21, 2014 7:03 a.m.

I didn't see the debate so can't speak to what actually took place, but from the article and the comments, it was more of a rock throwing contest.

The idea that "you should vote for me because the other guy is a loser" has never played well for me. Stand up on your own two feet and tell us what you will do, not what your opponent will or won't do.

• Social Mod Fiscal Con West Jordan, UT
    May 21, 2014 7:03 a.m.

I will support Love because 1) she wants to get rid of the Federal DOE 2) she supported Lee during the shut-down 3) she understands that the Tea-Party is about saving this country from the economic ruin both major parties have gotten us into.

There is nothing Love needs to fear from having her record "exposed". She should stand tall and proud.

• Mikhail ALPINE, UT
    May 21, 2014 7:09 a.m.

I continuously hear the liberal mantra that the government shutdown cost "billions of dollars." Where do you get your facts? Why do you ignore the facts that the administration cherry-picked what it shut down? Why do you ignore the fact that the closing of the federal government really had no impact on the private economy? Why do ignore the fact that the funds regularly paid by the government were paid anyway - most of them timely?

Isn't apparent to you that a government shutdown is preferable to a federal government that is running with the objective of expanding its power and influence at the expense of the citizen's freedom?

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    May 21, 2014 7:18 a.m.

"Owens showed that he will run an anti-Love campaign instead of a pro Owens campaign. We have an idea who Mia Love is but we have no idea who Doug Owens is and he did not enlighten us tonight except with his negative attitude"

I would much rather hear why "I" am good rather than why my Opponent is bad.

And I wish that carried on to national politics. The GOP has made a case for Obama being BAD, Clinton being Bad, Obamacare being BAD and immigration reform being BAD.

I have yet to see a healtcare plan or an immigration plan that the GOP supports. All we know is that they thing the Dems plans are bad.

• Mont Pugmire Fairview, UT
    May 21, 2014 8:01 a.m.

How many times do we have to hear 'I'm a moderate' from the liberals, ( Bill Clinton, Pres. Obama, Wayne Owens etc.) who then reveal what they really are AFTER the elections. The apple falls not very far from the tree. Doug Owens will be just as liberal as his father was and will NOT represent what mainstream Utah citizens are hoping for. It is typical of a liberal to attack a person of principle rather than discuss their own agenda, knowing that their true beliefs would offend the majority of the people. I just wish he would be honest and state what his TRUE beliefs are.

• A_Chinese_American Cedar Hills, UT
    May 21, 2014 8:01 a.m.

Mr. Owens made many cheap shoots, and his plan is to follow ObamaCare. His plan is simple: government is great and I promise you anything you want by using your money.

• kiddsport Fairview, UT
    May 21, 2014 8:16 a.m.

There are three reasons people never seem to hear about the conservative proposals on health care and immigration: 1) they get their news from the Lame Stream Media; 2) the Dems (Harry Reid) refuse to allow legitimate debate in the Senate; 3) the Dems rail against the conservative proposals even before they are presented.
    As for the government shutdown, Obama's promise to veto anything that even mentions Obamacare and Harry Reid's truculent obstruction in the Senate were the true causes of the shutdown. We've seen at least a billion dollars wasted on this botched rollout and billions more lost in the economic impact and guess what? Health care costs are accelerating.
    Mia Love is a true warrior for fiscal sensibility. Raising taxes in a nascent community is a far cry from the overgrown and bloated federal spending. If you can't see that, your economic sense needs some sharpening.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    May 21, 2014 8:34 a.m.

Owens is pulling out the Far Left Wing tactic of Attack, Attack, Attack. He's a massive lefty just like his Dad. He's no more moderate than I am. I am in agreement that the Federal Department of Edumacation needs to be disbanded and the money block granted to the states for use as they see fit for education. I'm also in agreement that Social Security needs to be done away with and I be allowed to invest my money in my own 401K plan for my retirement. And I'm 56 years old.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    May 21, 2014 8:36 a.m.

I dunno, but it sure seems like Love has a sense of entitlement in this campaign....

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    May 21, 2014 8:37 a.m.

They tried the same thing last time.
    Point out Mia's "Beliefs" ...and your attacking her.
    Point out Mia's conflicting stories about her past...and your attacking her.
    Point out where Mia's funding comes from...and your attacking her.

She was for tax increases in the "real world," because it affected her and people she knew personally and understood as mayor that it needed to be done, to make the city a better place.

She can't, or refuses to assimilate this real world experience into her platform because she's running as an "idealist" instead of what we need a "realist" willing to empathize with others as she did when Mayor. This is the problem I have with Mia, Will the real Mia Love please stand up?

Please stop with the "she's being attacked." One of the people funding Mia's campaign is saying Hilary has brain damage, but when she got the injury, they said she was faking it. That is what attacking looks like.

• Utefan60 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2014 8:49 a.m.

Can anyone tell me what Mia Love brings to the table? What solutions except defunding programs for our children? What new health care plan does she have. What educational plans other than pushing out the Feds? She has nothing of substance except the Tea Party rhetoric that is starting to age and fail.

Bring some game plans and stop criticizing when you offer nothing to fix the problems! Mr. Owens has the duty and the right to expose these falsehoods, and do it in any manner that needs to be done.

He isn't attacking he is asking valid questions Ms. Love is having difficulty answering.

Thanks Mr Owens for having the courage to stand up to this!

• Spiff Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2014 8:55 a.m.

Please, PLEASE good people of Utah, do not elect Mia Love! The ideas this lady has are scary. I know the idea of leaving Federal money on the table is popular right now in this state. But, if this same money is not accepted, the only people hurt will be in our very own state. Sadly, I know she will be elected since she has an "R" by her name.

• dmcvey Los Angeles, CA
    May 21, 2014 8:57 a.m.

It's hard to imagine a Democrat not named Matheson winning in Utah but I wish Owens the best of luck.

• Commodore West Jordan, UT
    May 21, 2014 9:01 a.m.

Once again I am convinced that Mia Love is not the right candidate for us. Im with Owens 100%.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    May 21, 2014 9:01 a.m.

This country needs more Love!

• DonO Draper, UT
    May 21, 2014 9:16 a.m.

Whoever chose the photo of the handshake accompanying this story did Owens a huge favor. He looks pleasantly at Love while Love looks away and smirks. I'm sure there was more to the handshake than this "moment in time." I don't live in the 4th district so have no dog in this fight, but IMO the editor who chose this photo has an axe to grind.

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    May 21, 2014 9:26 a.m.

The only extremists are those who inhabit the White House and the majority party in the Senate. If you were the head of a company and you either never submitted a budget or worse yet, submitted one that would bankrupt your company, how long do you think you would last? If you had massive voter fraud and yet vote every time against any common-sense voter I.D. law, how trustworthy would you be? If there was massive corruption and scandal at the top of your ticket and yet you maligned anyone who wanted to find out the facts, how truthful would you be? This is what Mia Love is fighting against and what Doug Owens supports as being "moderate". Owens is just another Democrat lackey that will ultimately pony up to Nancy Pelosi's extreme and corrupt agenda and not allow Utah voters any representation.

• ET is Home American Fork, UT
    May 21, 2014 9:30 a.m.

I was in attendance at this debate. My biggest disappointment with Mr. Owens was his disregard for the ground rules. The moderator explained that the intent of this first debate was for the individual candidates to focus on THEIR ideas, solutions and vision and specifically NOT to address each other, cross-talk, or focus on the other candidate. Future debates would provide the opportunity for more of that type of interaction. These rules had supposedly been agreed to prior to the debate by both campaigns.

Ms. Love's remarks were obviously geared toward following these guidelines. Mr. Owens, however, was constantly calling out Ms. Love by name and getting in jabs, which is what finally lead Ms. Love to say, "you sure mention my name a lot" and lead the moderator on at least one occasion to "remind" him about the rules.

I really don't take issue with the specific points Mr. Owens was trying to make but given the ground rules for this event I was a little turned off by his "attack dog" approach. I would guess he feels the underdog at this point and is doing what he thinks he needs to do to win.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    May 21, 2014 10:02 a.m.

ET is Home Said: "My biggest disappointment with Mr. Owens was his disregard for the ground rules. "

Please, I've noticed a total disregard to the rules in debate, like when Romney used notes in a PRESIDENTIAL debate and the right was good with him breaking the rules?

• brotherJonathan SLC, UT
    May 21, 2014 10:26 a.m.

Mr. Owens and Mrs. Love are guilty of receiving money from corporate interests. Both have a copy of this survey for public officials under oath and remain silent about it.
    Bribery is a crime against voter equality and must be ended, now.
    Ask their opinion on Corporate Mission Laws and if this proves Bribery? Survey-
    I am a public official under oath (or may become one) and must have an opinion about the use of money or promises to influence any public official in the discharge of his or her public or legal duties.
    I agree that corporate political contributions are not lawful and violate state and federal bribery statutes because of "corporate mission laws" that protect share holders funds (from fraud/embezzlement); funds must be spent on profit, potential profit or humanitarian expenditures only. So intent cannot be freedom of speech but seeking influence for profit.
    Name(print) Sign date
    If you believe that corporate contributions are lawful: Sign down here instead:
    Name(print) Sign date
    BRIBERY: The offering, giving, receiving, or soliciting of something of value for the purpose of influencing the action of an official in the discharge of his or her public or legal duties.

• Doctor C Orem, UT
    May 21, 2014 10:47 a.m.

The democrats FEAR Mia Love. A black woman who is a tea party conservative? Holy Cow that ruins their agenda of crying racism anytime anyone disagrees with the Marxist in the white house. Mia will win in a landslide. The federal department of education is nothing more than a propaganda machine for the leftists, statists and communists ruining this country. Has education improved? Heck no. Close it down and restore local control of schools. Better yet privatize the school system and end the brainwashing that is getting worse every day with common core.

• Florwood American Fork, UT
    May 21, 2014 11:05 a.m.

Does Mr. Owens have any accomplishments to indicate he would be a good congressman, other than his family connections? Seems he had little to say about himself, other than he's a moderate, not really a Democrat.

• happy2bhere clearfield, UT
    May 21, 2014 11:28 a.m.

The problem these days with electing Democrats is not so much who they are, but who they will HAVE to support in Congress. In the Senate its Harry Reid, in the House its Nancy Pelosi. A vote for Owens is the same as voting for Pelosi. Matheson always campaigned as a moderate, but that went out the window when voting. So the question Utahans in that district need to ask themselves, would they elect Nancy Pelosi if she were running there. I think many Democrats, Republicans, and Independents who in the past voted for "moderate" Matheson, would not vote for extreme liberal Pelosi.

• IMAPatriot2 PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    May 21, 2014 11:49 a.m.

If Owens is so insistent that all taxes should be bi-partisan then he is in the wrong party or he has a seriously short memory. The largest tax increase in American history, Obamacare, was passed without a single Republican vote. I believe Owens is using the Democrat strategy of attack, raise doubts, but say nothing of how you would govern. I wish he would focus more on how he would serve us not how he feels his opponent would serve us.

• RBB Sandy, UT
    May 21, 2014 12:07 p.m.

@Kipp,

If you are really a life-long Republican, how can you not be concerned that the government has amassed $17 TRILLION in debt. $11 Trillion of that has come in the last 13 years. The last time they voted to raise the debt ceiling the Republicans did not even put on a show of requiring the administration to cut anything or present any sort of plan for at least not increasing the debt. A few "extremists" demanded that the government address the issue.

When you look at your children or grand-children what are you going to tell them about why all of their income is going to pay taxes and why social services have been eliminated? "Hey, when people are having a party you do not want to sound like an extremist and ask who's paying for all this."

• RedShirtCalTech Pasedena, CA
    May 21, 2014 12:12 p.m.

I wanna be the first person to say it.

All of the liberals who oppose Mia Love are one of two things. They are either racists and hate blacks, or else are male chauvanists.

It has to be one of those reasons because we know from past experience that it isn't because they will vote for somebody with no qualifications and plans that only Mao would like.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    May 21, 2014 12:16 p.m.

How can an HONEST debate between to people with such diametrically opposed views not be contentious?

On the one side you have a Tea Party candidate, a wannabe Koch brothers' employee, mouthing all the Koch Brothers' approved mantras.

On the other side you have a Democratic pragmatist, who actually wants to help his district and its people progress.

In a situation like that, there's not much room for agreement.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    May 21, 2014 12:36 p.m.

I hesitate to mention who I favor in this race, because my popularity will unfairly sway so many DN readers to climb on my bandwagon, but...

...Owens would make a far better legislator than Love.

There, now I've done it.

• lket Bluffdale, UT
    May 21, 2014 12:41 p.m.

repulicans no matter tea party or not wish to make more wealth for the rich and do not care about the rest. take federal land . they will allow any kind of minning on any land anywhere as long as money i s to be made. utah will become a toxic mone dump like much of wyoming and montanna are now. strip minning will come here. it willl never end.

• AlanSutton Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2014 12:42 p.m.

Owens is all anti-Love, but says nothing of substance about his own positions. One can read his entire campaign website and find nothing but pablum. Doug, tell us what you stand for.

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2014 12:47 p.m.

@coleman51
    "The only extremists are those who inhabit the White House and the majority party in the Senate."

The Republican House has the most partisan DW-NOMINATE score ever and that's even with a majority (usually it's less extreme for the majority party because they tend to have more moderates since they hold more swing districts).

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    May 21, 2014 12:58 p.m.

Not sure how much good Mia Love will do for the State of Utah -

given that the WhiteHouse has the 1st Black President followed by the 1st Woman President in it for the next 10 years...

• Darrel Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 21, 2014 1:14 p.m.

@RBB

=============

The time to address the debt is not when the bill comes due, but rather when we commit to pay the bill.

If you want to cut spending, do so in the spending bills. Fighting when the debt ceiling comes is like trying to prevent AIDS after you have contracted it.

The debt ceiling as an idea needs to go away. If you want to address debt, don't vote yes on the spending bills. The idea we will not honor our obligations is an extreme point of view. No two bits about it.

• imustbebored sandy, UT
    May 21, 2014 1:56 p.m.

I am a long time republican. Two years ago I had the opportunity to serve as a delegate. I had several opportunities to meet Ms. Love, and honestly, I was so discourages after meeting her, it made me sick. I can hardly stomach the thought of Mia love in Washington. With that being said, Mr. Owens is not my choice either. Either way, we are sending more useless individuals to Washington to join the other useless individuals already there. It is pretty discouraging.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    May 21, 2014 2:33 p.m.

I know a newspaper doesn't like to BE the story, but will there be an update on the Lee Benson/Mia Love controversy?
    There are questions about her backstory. I'd like a follow up story on the matter.

• coltakashi Richland, WA
    May 21, 2014 2:40 p.m.

President Obama intentionally acted to make the Federal funding shutdown worse, by closing access to monuments in Washington DC that are normally open to the public 24/7, as if citizens could not be trusted to respect the World War II Memorial without Obama babysitting them. He closed a public parking lot at Mount Vernon, which only gets Federal road maintenance once a year. It actually required EXTRA work by Federal employees to put up all those barriers! And he has used funding shortages as an excuse to exclude citizens from the White House. Meanwhile, he and his wife go on luxury vacations at taxpayer expense, living the lifestyle of the superrich.

• SCfan clearfield, UT
    May 21, 2014 3:37 p.m.

LDS Liberal

How will Hillary govern when the Congress will likely have super-majorities in both houses held by the Republicans? Clearly, the polls show the country is making big change back to the conservative/Republican ways in the upcoming elections. And if you don't agree with that premise, then I absolutely don't agree that Hillary is some kind of forgone conclusion. She is getting older fast and Reaganesque brain lock is soon to set in. (If it isn't already). When the country sees a young Republican up against her, I'm not so sure Hillarys personal popularity will translate into votes.

• Evets Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 21, 2014 3:42 p.m.

I was not a supporter of Mia Love. I was willing to give Doug Owens a chance. Then I watched part of the debate and it was clear....I will vote for the lesser of two evils...I will support Mia. She at least showed some class.

• sherlock holmes Eastern, UT
    May 21, 2014 3:49 p.m.

Owens is a perfect candidate for most the posters at the SLTrib. If he gets all your votes, he could maybe top 200.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    May 21, 2014 4:45 p.m.

Calling ANYONE an "extremist" is absurd and foolish unless that person is truly extreme, and that's a label left to racists, KKK, communists, skin-heads, and terrorists. Owens has shown he's not a responsible campaigner. He can disagree without being disagreeable.

• timpClimber Provo, UT
    May 21, 2014 5:25 p.m.

There was plenty of outside money that poured in to defeat Love. Anyone who thinks it won't happen in this race is not in touch today's brand of politics.

• LovelyDeseret Gilbert, AZ
    May 21, 2014 5:33 p.m.

Mia Love is everyone's hero. What a remarkable woman with a remarkable life. Utah will be blessed to have her represent them.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    May 22, 2014 8:47 a.m.

"Mia Love is everyone's hero. "

A hero? My hero? Haha. No.

• chase SL Salt Lake City, UT
    May 22, 2014 10:23 a.m.

Hey Mia Love fans,

If you were okay with Mitt Romney attacking Obama's record in 2012, you should be okay with Owen's attacking Mia Love's record.

No double standards now.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    May 22, 2014 5:17 p.m.

We deserve better.

• Jimmytheliberal Salt Lake City, UT
    May 23, 2014 1:01 p.m.

@DN News Subscriber...Care to explain how turning down funds from the Federal Government will help our already horrible State education system? You constantly mention future generations in many of your one sided anti liberal comments. How would this help the younger generations? Ending The Department of Education?! Subsidized lunch programs. That's just the start! Why don't you investigate how many times she has raised taxes while Mayor of an extremely small town. Love is the Tea Party expanded and we know where they are headed...Yesterday's news. Even Republicans are becoming tired of their one dimensional antics.