Utah

Murder charge: Fatal DUI crash was no accident, D.A. says

Comments

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    May 19, 2014 11:50 p.m.

Unlike firearms, there is no guarantee in the US constitution for citizens to own a vehicle.

So, Lets ban all vehicles from everyone since criminals can use them for weapons to commit mass murder.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    May 20, 2014 6:11 a.m.

Reading the obituary of Susan Madsen, I felt immense sadness at the sudden loss of a wife and mother to five beautiful children who will go through the motions of life without her. Needless, thoughtless, and completely unnecessary. I agree with the charge!

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2014 6:29 a.m.

He should absolutely be charged with murder. I don't care how impaired someone chooses to make themselves, it is not an excuse to get into your vehicle and begin targeting other human beings. Sorry his life is so pathetic from the choices he has made. Now his pathetic life and choices have permanently took the ability of this woman to make choices of her own. Her children are now motherless, their kids won't be able to spend time with their grandmother and so forth. All because of the stupidity of this man and the fact that Utah (contrary to the critics) does allow the purchase of alcohol to the point to impair people for days. That's not a lack of alcohol flowing. I would argue, that is too much alcohol flowing. If we can save just one life, then why not restrict it?

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    May 20, 2014 7:05 a.m.

My favorite line from movies is when John Wayne responds to Dean Martin's "I'm sorry" after drinking nearly cost them their lives. "Sorry don't get it done, Dude!" This is tragic and senseless. And the arrogance of some drinkers warrants very serious consequences. My heart goes out to all the victims of this very sad excuse for a human being.

• U-tar Woodland Hills, UT
    May 20, 2014 7:41 a.m.

From the alcohol crowd, we keep hearing how great it is. They always say we need more of it, more availability, more access.
    When your drunk you do stupid things, and you should pay the price of taking an innocent life. What a stupid shame!

• Esquire Springville, UT
    May 20, 2014 8:05 a.m.

Isn't it "Sam" instead of "Sim"?

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2014 8:35 a.m.

Forty years ago I worked the graveyard shift at the SLC impound lot. Many was the night I was confronted with some drunken slob who had been stopped for DUI and was nevertheless released from jail, still drunk. Evidence of which was graphically evident from the fact that they were barely able to stumble the 40 feet from the fence gate to the office.

I absolutely hated handing the keys to a car to someone who was obviously and seriously impaired. But, after several instances of calling the department to confirm that was required to do so, I eventually acquiesced to the organizational stupidity.

I hope the fact this creep has been charged with murder is evidence that, in Draper at least, the police are more diligent in taking the crime of DUI more seriously than the SLC police did when I worked at the impound lot.

I also hope this guy is imprisoned for the rest of his life.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    May 20, 2014 8:57 a.m.

iron&clay

do you seriously not understand the difference between a vehicle and a gun? A vehicle is designed to drive. A guns sole purpose is to kill. Yes, other objects can kill, we all know that. But that is what a gun is designed for, so it does it more effectively. So please stop with the ridiculous comparisons. And by the way, I own over 15 guns myself, so I am not for the government taking them away. Have some respect for the person who was killed in this sick act of violence, and stop making it about gun policies when no gun was involved.

My condolences to the family of the victim. This should have never happened and it was senseless.

• Lia Sandy, UT
    May 20, 2014 9:17 a.m.

@U-Tar.

Most people who drink do so responsibly.
    Not every drinker is a drunken menace, just as not all Christians are good people.

• BYR West Bountiful, UT
    May 20, 2014 9:44 a.m.

I wonder if Thompson's was on a suicide run?

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    May 20, 2014 10:18 a.m.

Esquire,
    No, it is Sim - don't know what, or IF, it is short for anything

Brahmabull,
    no, a gun's (possessive apostrophe needed) sole purpose is not to kill. Is that all you use your armory for, to kill? I have used many guns with no intent whatsoever to kill. Doesn't matter anyway. The constitution guarantees the right to bear arms - it does not guarantee the right to own or drive a carriage or any other conveyance.

• Payito American Fork, UT
    May 20, 2014 11:19 a.m.

I can't believe how much death, sorrow, destruction, carnage, health problems, etc., etc. are associated with alcohol. When will society finally wake up and learn that is is nothing but trouble. Alcohol abuse is a huge burden on society with many innocent law abiding people paying the price for this evil. Why the government turns a blind eye to the horrific problems associated with alcohol is beyond me.

• goosehuntr Tooele, UT
    May 20, 2014 11:20 a.m.

There are no excellent outcomes with alcohol. From a small level to a large level, there are no excellent outcomes. I would say, there are no good outcomes. From health issues, to addiction, to stupid behavior, to hangovers, to property damage, insurance claims, to lost wages, to it's pathway to unemployment, to introduction to harder substances, to homicide, to DV, to injuries from violent behavior, to paralysis, to broken families to a million tears of sorrow and regret... alcohol is a conscious choice one makes. Please make me a list similar to the one above for the pro's of alcohol consumption that can't be experiienced without it. Please help me know what I am missing out on. Yep, tis your decision to do it... but man, does that decision include a lot of other innocent people that are put at risk besides yourself. There is a difference between accidents and accidents that occure because of a decision to consume alcohol. Someone called it the beverage of Hell... Well, maybe there is some truth to that, since alcohol usually raises it.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    May 20, 2014 11:28 a.m.

Brahmabull,

I had better notify the community organizations and my city that sponsor the turkey shoot where clay pigeons are flung into the air for entrants to shoot with their shotguns for competitive fun and recreation and advise them that they are misusing their shotguns now that you have enlightened us that "the sole reason for owning a firearm is to KILL".

Not to mention the fact that many homeowners have guns for protection from home invasion. A homeowner could just show that he is armed to stop a home invasion, or, shoot a criminal intent on rape, pillaging and plundering in the kneecaps with a shotgun to stop them in their tracks, no killing involved.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    May 20, 2014 11:31 a.m.

Samhill: Isn't it possible that when these individuals were released, they were no longer under the influence & they started to drink as soon as they were released, before they got to the impound lot? I do not think any law enforcement officer would knowingly release someone who is still drunk to get his vehicle out of impound while still being intoxicated.

• Bifftacular Spanish Fork, Ut
    May 20, 2014 11:33 a.m.

I am loathe to blame only alcohol only for this man's actions but I believe it played a very significant part. We are the dumbest people on earth to allow alcohol sales & consumptions that has killed hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) either through liver poisoning or just plain stupidly...like this story. But then we ban or attempt to ban a whole host of other products because they are potential "harmful" like saccharin, Ackee fruit, raw milk in some states, etc etc. What hypocritical idiots we are as a nation.

• Grouper Loveland, CO
    May 20, 2014 11:39 a.m.

If the FDA were asked to approve a new drug that had the following effects:

responsible for 50% of all traffic fatalities (20,000 annually)
    responsible for 70% of all spousal abuse
    responsible for 50% of all campus rapes
    kills greater than 500,000 annually from liver disease, cancer, overdose/addiction

would they even debate whether to approve it? Yet we have people on this site who tell us all that there are lots of responsible users, and we should not punish those for the acts of a few. Maybe so, but look at the numbers people. Does it really make our society better? and with regards to comparing it to Christians (some good, some bad), if people of any faith killed 1/100th of the number as alcohol on an yearly basis, there would be a public lynching. This Buds for you

• U-tar Woodland Hills, UT
    May 20, 2014 11:49 a.m.

Lia from Sandy, I am glad you are responsible! I am simply pointing out that drunks are not. Too much foolish tragedy happens when people get stone drunk, not only behind the wheel. I am simply saying that they need to be held accountable for actions that impact others.

• CBAX Provo, UT
    May 20, 2014 12:01 p.m.

Lock him up please. Thanks.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    May 20, 2014 12:07 p.m.

lost in DC, Iron&clay

So you still stand by your argument that a guns specific purpose is not to kill? Were they designed to target shoot? No. Were they designed to intimidate people? No. They were designed to kill. Kill animals, kill people. I never said that is all they CAN do, I am saying that is the primary function of a gun - to kill. I suspect you are both intelligent enough to know that, but that you just want to argue for the fun of it. There are many safer alternatives to guns if you are looking to target shoot. Why not go buy rubber bullets? Right? After all, these guns that fling a ball of lead through the air weren't designed to kill. Good one.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    May 20, 2014 12:12 p.m.

Iron & clay

You misquoted me by putting this "the sole reason for owning a firearm is to KILL", in quotation marks as if I said it above. Read my other comment again, and you will not find that comment. Nice try. I said firearms were designed to kill. No that that is the only reason to own one. So go re-read what I said and maybe you will get what I was saying. If not, I can't help you any further. Especially since you though you would take the liberty of misquoting me, and then putting it in quotation marks as if it was a direct quote. Remember I am on your side as far as guns go. I just can't alight my thoughts with the argument of making cars illegal because a few people want to make guns illegal. That is like comparing apples to salmon. I tend to agree with the proposal of some gun laws, such as closing the gun show loop hole. Anything that prevents criminals easy access to guns I am all for. If you are a law abiding citizen you have nothing to worry about right now. The guns are safe.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    May 20, 2014 12:53 p.m.

Brahma, I "kill" a lot of paper targets with my guns. The occasional bottle or can, and sometimes I kill watermelons. My guns haven't killed any people and I don't intend to do so, unless that is the only option left.

I agree with the charge of this guy. However, I disagree with the motive. Sim is going to run for re-election and there is the potential that he's doing this to make him look tough.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2014 12:56 p.m.

Brahmabull wrote: "A guns sole purpose is to kill."

I would argue that a gun is lifeless and does not contain AI to make the decisions to kill. Rather it is the person using the gun that makes the decision. I do agree with the other commenters, since the gun is unable to make the decision to kill, that decision would be left with the one holding the gun, which would then make it sound like the only reason people own guns is solely to kill. Which isn't true at all.

The same logic can be applied to a car. We drive cars, most of us never intend to kill people with them, but they can be used to kill people. Most of us use cars for work, commuting, recreation as gun owners use them for recreation, protection etc. A car protects me better than a bicycle or skateboard would. A gun protects me better than a 5 minute response time for police.

Either way this guy is a drunk. Alcohol played a huge part in is impaired murderous decision. That's no excuse for what he did in destroying this family

• Sneaky Jimmy Bay Area, CA
    May 20, 2014 12:57 p.m.

With apologies to all those pro/anti guns/alcohol/drugs, this is about an individual with very little regard for anyone else. He is a bad person drunk or sober. I'm sure he didn't beat his "room mate" for the first time on the day in question. Congratulations to the judge and i hope the DA can make the murder charge stick.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    May 20, 2014 3:39 p.m.

Liberal Ted

If you honestly took from my comment "guns were designed to kill" that I was implying that the gun is the one doing the killing, then I really can't help you.

Carry on

• Jimmytheliberal Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2014 4:14 p.m.

@U-tard...Interesting Utah County logic. Would you apply this same logic that you so eloquently stated in your previous post to "The gun crowd" if there was one involved with this crime? Guns are not against your religion I take it? Guess what? Alcohol is not against mine & there are countless responsible adults that use (gasp) alcohol.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    May 20, 2014 4:58 p.m.

Brahmabull

You are changing your story. Your first post said their SOLE purpose was to kill, now you are saying “primary” purpose. “sole” and “primary” are very different. Doesn’t matter anyway, the constitution still guarantees our right to own them, regardless of what they were designed to do.

Rubber bullets? They are still shot by……… GUNS! Guns that can also shoot steel, lead, and copper bullets.

BTW, I don’t think you can get a good enough spread pattern with rubber bullets to shoot clay pigeons.

What ever happened to the possessive apostrophe? I know you said you had at least 15 guns, but you keep referring to the plural when your context says possessive.

Misquoting? No, the following is cut and pasted from your original comment
    You did not say “they were designed to kill” you said, “A guns (sic) sole purpose is to kill.”

• DonO Draper, UT
    May 20, 2014 9:47 p.m.

I absolutely agree with the murder charge. IMO, anyone who drinks, drives and causes fatalities should be similarly charged. People make conscious decisions to drink and drive. Enough with mollycoddling people who needlessly take lives.

• Big Joe V Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    May 20, 2014 10:08 p.m.

The W.H.O. just released a report on world alcohol consumption and in essence there is a worldwide problem. You can google it to see the specifics, but the most disturbing finding is with worldwide deaths, 1 in 20 is a direct result of alcohol consumption. Where I am the grocery stores look like liquor stores that sell groceries with the displays expanded and spread throughout the store at isle ends and in produce. I have personally complained to the manager and in email to the corporate offices. So far no result or explanation, but if more speak up changes can be made.

• David Lloyd-Jones Toronto, 00
    May 20, 2014 10:10 p.m.

U-Tar,

Agreed. And don't you think the alcohol crowd sound like the gun crowd?

-dlj.

• JayTee Sandy, UT
    May 20, 2014 11:13 p.m.

Don't blame the alcohol, the vehicle, the gun, or anything else. There's no substitute for personal responsibility and accountability. Yes, we need to get the drunks and other impaired drivers OFF the roads permanently--but it's not government's job to protect people from their own stupidity and personal choices.

• ECR Burke, VA
    May 21, 2014 6:38 a.m.

iron & clay - talk about indifference to human life. Your need to turn this tragic event into a political commentary is as obscene as the behavior of Mr. Thompson. A woman died leaving a young family behind. Have some reverence, please.