Faith

Beware of online pride: 5 tips to be meek, lowly and Christian online

Comments

• Joan Watson TWIN FALLS, ID
    May 17, 2014 10:23 a.m.

How true - as in other good advice, we need to be reminded from time to time.

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    May 17, 2014 5:17 p.m.

I may not always be Christian in my comments, but I'm trying, and though a senior citizen, I think I'm still learning.
    Here's one practical idea to add to the excellent list above: use the old English writing curriculum advice: revise, revise, revise. I like to copy-paste back and forth from the comments box to MS Word, and look for exactness in my expressions and vocabulary. That's a good practical application for the suggestions above, particularly the first one.
    We are altogether too much in a hurry nowadays, and press "enter/return" without pondering our message. A little reflection will help us to put the dampers on, not only for pride, but also for impetuous remarks that may be hurtful.
    When I get feedback on my comments, I assure those that do so that I value them and try for self-improvement—even if the feedback is perceived as negative and/or somewhat hurtful. I believe most people are well-intentioned and assume that commenters' motivation to post is that they wish to do some good for the cause of mankind.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    May 19, 2014 8:31 a.m.

A code of conduct
    !. Watch what you say.
    2. Don't take what anyone else said to heart or personally.
    3. Never assume any thing.
    4. Always do your best.

• ZAM! Omaha, NE
    May 19, 2014 9:07 a.m.

Thanks. We seriously need this to happen on this website.

• ElizaAldous Utah County, UT
    May 20, 2014 5:54 p.m.

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    May 20, 2014 8:16 p.m.

@ ElizaAldous - Utah County, UT - "We need to do what Elder Holland has said: "Defend your beliefs with courtesy and with compassion, but defend them.""

AMEN to that!

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    May 22, 2014 8:41 a.m.

Difficult to follow advice (especially in the midst of constant hostility and attacks from others) but good nevertheless.

• Mormonmama0106 Phoenix, AZ
    June 8, 2014 12:31 p.m.

I'm so glad to see this list as I really need it! I have a hot temper and too often I have been guilty of firing off a scathing post without really stopping to think before I hit "send". I think I should print this list and stick it to my monitor so I can see it before I ever post anything!