CougarLinks: BYU's Cody Hoffman named to All-Undrafted Team

Comments

• Ken Sandy, UT
    May 12, 2014 11:20 a.m.

byu fans make it too easy to laugh at their program. Only a byu fan would be excited about this or put this as an article.

For some reason I can't think of any respectable program that would write an article about this -and yes this article was written by a byu fan in a pro-byu newspaper. "Even though he's one of the best receivers in the history of our program and even though that no NFL team wanted to draft him he's one of the best who couldn't get drafted"

• Esquire Springville, UT
    May 12, 2014 11:42 a.m.

All-Undrafted Team? What a meaningless designation. The only thing that counts is someone making a team and then performing.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 12, 2014 11:52 a.m.

Congratulations to Cody and the BYU Football Program! And a big Way To Go on their Miami bowl agreement!

Seriously, I think the Redskins got a steal. He's definitely NFL caliber.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    May 12, 2014 12:08 p.m.

I'm not honking my horn about this, but let's at least keep in mind that Cody Hoffman did sign a deal with a team. 4 BYU players did. I hope he makes a roster and I think he'll be motivated to put in the work to do it.

There are a lot of really good players that don't end up getting drafted. There were about 10 bo diddley tech schools that had players drafted this year, and the University of Freaking Texas didn't have a single player drafted this year for the first time since 1937. The draft seems to throw unexpected curve balls every year.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 12, 2014 12:30 p.m.

This is a awesome team to be named on.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    May 12, 2014 12:55 p.m.

Ken-- don't blame this article on "BYU fans". We take no credit nor blame for what the DNews chooses to write about. I do think Hoffman has skills that don't always show up in traditional ways, which is why he wasn't heavily recruited out of HS but look what he did in college. Maybe he can repeat that effort and production. We'll all just have to wait and see.

• truth in all its forms henderson, NV
    May 12, 2014 1:14 p.m.

All UN drafted team? so basically byu 2.0

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    May 12, 2014 1:15 p.m.

@Ken
    Utah's perennial Pac bottom feeding makes it easy to laugh at their program as well, oh and the no show at bowl games. If there was one the Utes would be overloaded in the All No-bowl team.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    May 12, 2014 2:00 p.m.

souptwins,

What the des News prints about byu is a reflection of the byu program and byu fans. You may not like this fact, but when a byu fan writes an article in a newspaper owned by the same group that owns Byu, yes, its a reflection on byu.

Tell me honestly, do you think there are many other programs in the country where a fan writer put out a story this week highlighting one of their players on the All Undrafted team? Look at the list below of some teams with players on the "All Undrafted team"

Alabama
    Arizona State
    Wisconsin
    Oklahoma
    LSU
    South Carolina
    Texas
    Michigan State
    Iowa
    Stanford
    Oregon State
    USC

Be honest with me souptwins, how many fan writers of the above schools do you think thought it was noteworthy enough to write an article mentioning the inclusion of their players on the all undrafted team?

I just don't see any of the fans of those programs even mentioning such thing, certainly not in a print publication. I'd be embarrassed if a fan of my school even mentioned it casually just verbally. But noteworthy enough for a newspaper?

Only byu

• Crisco B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 12, 2014 2:17 p.m.

It is a blessed relief to see that there are some in the world who have so few cares that they actually find their most productive activity to be picking fights online. This gives me a new hope in humanity, a vision that perhaps there are some people who have no worries besides playing Pacman and being on "red alert" whenever a BYU article is posted.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    May 12, 2014 2:33 p.m.

If we can get past the usual exchanging of snarky comments, the question still remains of why Cody was passed over. It is also strange the Trevor Riley didn't go higher. I keep hearing that neither did well in the Combine. I wonder why the NFL relies so much on it.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    May 12, 2014 2:49 p.m.

I prefer to wait until the dust settles and see what kind of player he turns out to be in the NFL. Kind of like college football.....wait until the end of the season to see what kind of team any team turns out to be, going to a bowl game with a respectable record, or sitting on a couch bragging to the wall what conference u belong to.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 12, 2014 2:57 p.m.

"I'm not honking my horn about this, but let's at least keep in mind that Cody Hoffman did sign a deal with a team"
    Kewgarclaws

uhmm, the "deal" hoffman signed was the chance to try out for the team. Maybe they cover granola bars and juice boxes...but that's about all he's getting from the 'deal"

• 1978 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 12, 2014 3:21 p.m.

@Ken

"Only a byu fan would be excited about this or put this as an article."

And only a utah fan would be first in line to comment on said article.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    May 12, 2014 3:22 p.m.

Nice interview & press conference for Kyle. Thrilled for him to be back playing with Ziggy.

• technonerd7 orem, ut
    May 12, 2014 3:32 p.m.

@Hedgehog-

Which is still a better job opportunity then you will ever have, sitting in your mom's basement posting on BYU articles. As a BYU fan, I don't read SLTRIB or comment on UofU articles, because, to be honest, I don't care about the program. Why don't you and your "friends" give us the same respect. With fans like you, I am perfectly fine never seeing BYU play the UofU again.

On a side note, not only am I pleased with the BYU players who were drafted and signed, I am pleased that the UofU and USU all had players drafted\picked up in free agency, and I think it shows that football in Utah is doing well, and I wish all of them well and hope they represent the state of Utah well.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    May 12, 2014 3:39 p.m.

I agree with Hugenin that Hoffman is lacking in speed and athleticism.

And Ken, get over it. Fans of teams write in other teams' papers about trivial stuff. You're getting pretty hyped up about nothing.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    May 12, 2014 3:46 p.m.

I agree with Hugenin that Hoffman will have a hard time in the NFL. He set records at BYU but just didn't seem to show that extra effort or athleticism. Not one my favorites over the past 40 years.

But I really don't get why Ute fans would even care about this (or any BYU story for that matter - I thought you all had "moved on"). There are plenty of homer sportswriters writing about what happened to this or that draft prospect. Some of you need to travel a bit more and see how the rest of the country works. Hoffman (whether you like him or not) set a lot of records at BYU and Y fans want naturally to know what happened to him. Not a superb athlete or NFL prospect but natural for some to want to know what happened to him.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    May 12, 2014 4:05 p.m.

Cody Hoffman is a better football player than anyone who has an opinion of him on this message board.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    May 12, 2014 4:31 p.m.

souptwins,

"We should all be reminded that this is a "Cougar Links" round-up and not a full-on article. It's meant to be a brief spot on things related to BYU sports. It's good not to make things out to be more than they are."

Ya I thought you may try to play that card. Fine, lets agree its a "brief"

Tell us honestly, as I noticed you chose not to answer last time, how many "briefs" do you think were written in the local papers of the teams I mentioned above about their players on the All-undrafted team. Think Alabama fan/writer did that? USC? Which ones do you think would do something like that?

• SSmith Salt Lake City, UT
    May 12, 2014 5:08 p.m.

Kind of silly that so many are dissing Hoffman. Um, let's see, didn't he sign with the Redskins? So that means he's in the NFL. That's a pretty big accomplishment and one that none of us has achieved. So why not call it like it is and say "well done" to the man?

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    May 12, 2014 5:13 p.m.

Well Heck.

I guess congratulations are also in order for ME.

I too was undrafted. So I have that going for me, which is nice.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    May 12, 2014 5:41 p.m.

Re: hedgehog

Which still means he gets a shot to prove the opinions of his naysayers, including yourself, wrong.

But since the doubt is coming from someone like yourself who would get the same combine numbers as Mel Kiper Jr. I really don't think it holds much weight.

• eljefeBYUfan Denver, CO
    May 12, 2014 9:25 p.m.

@ Ken to souptwins

Methinks thou leads avery sheltered life within the confines of Utah.

According to the NFL itself and Bleacher Report (National Forums) there

Texas – Jackson Jeffcoat, Mike Davis

Michigan State – Max Bullough, Denicos Allen

Iowa – James Morris

Stanford – Sahyne Skov

Oregon State – Rashad Reynolds

USC – Dion Bailey, George Uko, Morgan Breslin, Silas Redd

. . . and when you drill down to their regional newspapers, you get very
    much the same type of mention D/N provide here for BYU. Just sayin'

• utesgoingdownthehill Salt Lake City , UT
    May 12, 2014 10:44 p.m.

Ken, do a little google search on all undrafted team 2014, there are about 140,000 results. I am sure lots of local papers mentioned about it. I will let you go through those 140,000 articles and tell me how many wrote about there players.

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    May 13, 2014 8:11 a.m.

Ken

"Tell us honestly, as I noticed you chose not to answer last time, how many "briefs" do you think were written in the local papers of the teams I mentioned above about their players on the All-undrafted team. Think Alabama fan/writer did that?"

"The All Undrafted Team - Offense" is the lead topic of discussion on Bama On-line, the #1 'Bama fan community on the Internet.

Maybe you should hop over there and tell them how unbecoming it is for fans of one of the nation's top programs to be discussing such trivia.

The snooty attitude of the conference bottom dwelling Utes is laughable.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    May 13, 2014 10:05 a.m.

Even though I. too, think it is rather an inauspicious honor, even the top programs around the country find the All-Undrafted team worthy of mention, despite Ken's haranguing.

I think Ken owes DN and BYU fans an apology.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    May 13, 2014 10:09 a.m.

@Ken
    Wake us up when Utah actually puts a QB on the field that can win games.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    May 13, 2014 11:29 a.m.

I'm guessing the DN is pretty pleased with its decision to publish this little article. In the past 24 hours they've published over 25 sports articles and none of them have as many comments as this one...including three (and counting) from the guy who thought this article was so un-newsworthy.

In fact, it has more comments than the article about Ute players who were drafted...go figure.

Didn't the original article (and team) come from nfl.com? Guess they think NFL fans care. Anyway, the Big10 website has an article about this all-star team. Didn't have time to check the PAC-12 website, will do so tomorrow just for chuckles...cross your fingers.

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    May 13, 2014 1:54 p.m.

PAC man nailed it!

"The snooty attitude of the conference bottom dwelling Utes is laughable."

For the fans of a program that will NEVER make the NC "playoff" nor EVER win the PAC-12 championship, I find the attitude of the Crimson Crew to be mind-boggling.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    May 13, 2014 2:43 p.m.

Congrats to Cody for this significant honor and thanks to the DNews for bringing it to our attention.