Faith

Vai's View: The return of Vai's View

Comments

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    May 8, 2014 2:58 p.m.

Great news. Welcome back, Vai. I've always appreciated that you care more about people than labels. It's nice to see you spread a little love the Utes direction, too.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 8, 2014 3:30 p.m.

RBN,

If you followed Vai's articles the past couple years, he's more Ute than he is byu fan these days. He's had a ton of positive things to say about Utah and Whittingham, comparing him very favorably to what byu has to offer these days..

He's more red and we welcome him!

Go Utes

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    May 8, 2014 3:32 p.m.

Good to hear, there's so much more to life than sports!

• DaisyUtah SLC, UT
    May 8, 2014 3:37 p.m.

Love reading your columns Vai! Ofa Atu! Henry & Becky Williams

• thebig1 SLC, UT
    May 8, 2014 3:36 p.m.

I've always liked his column glad to have him back, but to call Dave McCann a successful anchor is a stretch, have you seen how channel 5's ratings have fallen?

• Idaho Dad Pocatello, ID
    May 8, 2014 3:50 p.m.

Woohoo! Go ahead, make my day! Great to see Vai back to brighten the day each time he writes. One of my son's favorite times in the MTC was when Vai came to talk to the missionaries last year. Thanks, Vai!

...and how many morning news anchors or Stake Presidents can catch a punt behind their back? (one)

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 8, 2014 4:14 p.m.

I always enjoyed your columns and it will be nice to read them again. One of the things I appreciated is you showing how a die hard Cougar can be friends with die hard Utes. There is no need for hatred in a rivalry and you have been a good example of that. I hope you will still find room in your column to remind us of this.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    May 8, 2014 4:17 p.m.

A whole article about how via's article is coming back. I didn't think news days could ever be THIS slow. I didn't even notice his absence. Demonstrates how impactful his articles weren't.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    May 8, 2014 5:17 p.m.

I love Vai. One of my favorite experiences was when he spoke to us at the Cougar Club before a BYU football game. People were rolling with laughter. I love your columns. Love, from a fellow Cougar.

• Idaho_Boy Aberdeen, ID
    May 8, 2014 5:55 p.m.

I loved Vai as a punt returner at BYU. You never knew when we was going to break one deep, although once or twice he lost yards on the punt return because he was trying to get free. It was definitely entertaining.

I have missed his articles and look forward to reading them again.

• WYOREADER Gillette, WY
    May 8, 2014 6:03 p.m.

Looking forward to reading many more columns! I've missed them! Welcome Back!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 8, 2014 7:37 p.m.

My first experience reading Vai was a document about his son's experience balancing Sabbath day with the growing demands of sports. It was very real, powerful, not sanctimonious and it cemented a commitment in the life of a young man to follow the Lord.

CougarSunDevil, I'm with you about 90% of the time. Not this time.

I look forward to more powerful insights.

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    May 8, 2014 7:46 p.m.

Via, welcome back as I loved your column. I know you said your column would change but I hope you keep your blunt honesty even when its not popular.

• Johnny Moser Thayne, WY
    May 8, 2014 10:54 p.m.

The mark of a successful writer is to have a voice that others disagree with. So I think it is nice that CougarSunDevil chimed in the remind Vai that he has done well as a writer. He has a small but vocal contingent of detractors. Looking forward to hearing how the "new Vai" will help us see another perspective. Hope he still is a little opinionated.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    May 8, 2014 11:53 p.m.

Johnny Moser

I lovingly invite you to re-read my post. I think you missed something obvious there.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    May 9, 2014 12:01 a.m.

Y Grad / Y Dad

"CougarSunDevil, I'm with you about 90% of the time. Not this time."

No worries. Everyone has a different flavor. Via was never mine. Doesn't mean he's a bad guy. Doesn't mean I'm a bad guy.

However, I'm clearly in the minority when Chris b gets a like and I don't.

Cheers!

• timpClimber Provo, UT
    May 9, 2014 7:32 a.m.

The return of Vai to the DN will add another reason to keep reading it.

• majmajor Layton, UT
    May 9, 2014 8:29 a.m.

Vai,

Welcome back. I've missed your comments, and insights.

• dung beetle Bountiful, UT
    May 9, 2014 8:42 a.m.

Welcome back. I've really missed your columns and I'm very happy you've been prompted to resume them.

• Outside-View Federal Way, WA
    May 9, 2014 8:59 a.m.

One of the statements I remember from one of his past columns was how to be a good parent to a child. We all worry about how to raise a child who will be successful in school, marriage and life. Via's statement was that he stopped worrying how to advise his children about work etc. He said that he decided that if he could raise a child who would have a strong testimony of Christ that all of that childs other decisions would bring him the success he desired.

I liked that.

What better preparation can you have for life than a commitment to love God and your fellow man as yourselve. I now try to worry less and excercise faith that "things will work out for your good" when you simply do your best to be like Christ.

• Thirty9 Highland, Ut
    May 9, 2014 9:01 a.m.

Thanks for representing Tongan's and Polynesians in a positive way. We hear too much about Tongan Gangs and it's refreshing to hear from a Tongan that is using his talents in a positive way. Many have and will never associate with Poly's in their lifetime but knowing that they will get a FLAVA of who we are and that we're not just football players makes your choice to continue your blog - version 2.0 that much more meaningful. Our behaviors are determined by our beliefs, our beliefs are shaped by our experiences therefore, your beliefs expressed in your blog can be powerful to POLYs because we share similar experiences...obvious not the "Hollywood" experiences : )

Big Welcome Back and Malo

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    May 9, 2014 11:21 a.m.

I wondered where he'd disappeared to. I figured he just didn't have time to throw a quality column together anymore.

Nice surprise, getting called to your boss's office expecting to be fired, but being promoted instead. I've had basically the opposite happen. Boy, that was fun.

• GoodTimes1 South Jordan, UT
    May 9, 2014 12:13 p.m.

Love your column Vai! Keep them coming.

• CooginIN Southern, IN
    May 9, 2014 12:50 p.m.

So glad your column will be back, Vai! I found it to be one of the most enjoyable and uplifting things to read in the Deseret News and have missed it. Welcome back!

• DanielAZ Tucson, AZ
    May 9, 2014 1:55 p.m.

Welcome back to the DN friend!

• wiseoldwoman West Jordan, UT
    May 9, 2014 2:26 p.m.

Glad to have you back. Have missed you and the steady commentary you are blessed to share.

• Beast of the East Philadelphia, PA
    May 9, 2014 3:47 p.m.

CougarSunDevil seems a little defensive given all he dished out about Vai's return... Must be a slow news day... didn't notice his absence... His articles weren't impactful, yada, yada, yada. You had to respond two or three times to comments with more comments. If he's not your cup of tea, and he's not for everybody, fine. Move on. But me thinks you will be an avid reader & commenter each week. His columns aren't news, BTW. They're more essays. And clearly he has a HUGE following. He does here in Philly. He is revered in arguably the toughest sports town in America. And everyone knows he's Mormon.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    May 10, 2014 9:54 a.m.

I'm not surprised even a little that some posters think that Vai talking about being a news broadcaster and getting less attention regarding sports, along with now serving as a Stake President, is an endorsement of Utah football. The only thing mentioned about college football was when he was in Provo watching a BYU-Hawaii game. That must be an endorsement for the U...???

Ute fans give it a rest.

Hopefully Vai's perspective will be more beneficial as it will now be more mature. I do appreciate his willingness to publish his life's experiences; that takes courage and grit, especially in trying to draw personal growth and positive perspectives.

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    May 10, 2014 11:18 a.m.

This was a column about--sports and football? Get over it, sports fans. I once had a wise bishop tell me "The Lord has more important things to worry about than football." His comment came the Sunday after the "Miracle Bowl", when quite a few of us had left our Sunday worship on the gridiron. We often find ourselves too easily and too often converted away from Mormonism to pigskin.

• Deserthiker SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 10, 2014 2:25 p.m.

I've always enjoyed reading your thoughts and perspective. Very happy that you're able to resume sharing. Good luck with your new assignments. The Lord is very happy to keep us busy- that's how we grow and how His work gets done! Your faith and eagerness to serve is an inspiration. You've been a great example especially for youth. Keep up the good work and welcome back! I'll look forward to hearing from you regularly again.

• Snarrbucks New Bloomfield, mo
    May 10, 2014 8:32 p.m.

I had wondered what had happened to your column. I enjoy your stories. Good luck with your new calling. I will look forward to reading your columns.

• Aloha Saint George Saint George, Utah
    May 11, 2014 10:31 a.m.

I have a fellow poly sister who has four children an no father in their life. She currently has her phone off cuz she can't afford it. I tell of your story of when you were young and were so poor, your family didn't have the lights, water, or heat on at the same time. This sister has lived with family her who life but now has been on her own for 5 months.
    With your celebrity status, I am able to share a story of hope that she can relate with. When you're too busy. You've already told enough stories that simply need to be retold.

• frankie boy Dove Canyon, CA
    May 11, 2014 1:16 p.m.

I am not LDS and never will be LDS-but when I stumbled across his column while researching BYU basketball (I'm a LMU grad) I always wanted mor-and began wondering where it went.

Welcome back!

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    May 11, 2014 5:56 p.m.

Welcome back, Vai. This uncle to your friend Greg enjoys your column and your work!

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    May 12, 2014 3:39 p.m.

I think Vai might be speaking in Conference one day.

• LDSareChristians Anchorage, AK
    May 12, 2014 4:10 p.m.

CougarSunDevil,

Just so happens I DID notice his absence. Missed his posting. And did wonder what happened to him. I guess it's all in the eyes of the beholder.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    May 13, 2014 8:20 a.m.

LDSareChristians

"I guess it's all in the eyes of the beholder."

Couldn't agree with you more.

Beast of the East

"CougarSunDevil seems a little defensive"

Nope, just have an opinion. When I write my comments, they are from my point of view and they are my opinions. I'm not trying to opine for everyone. As I posted already, I'm clearly in the minority with my opinion. I'm comfortable with that position.

"...you will be an avid reader & commenter each week..."

I'm sure you all will love reading his articles and I hope you do. If he's your cup of [fill in choice of beverage here] then I'm happy for you. However, you're wrong in your guessessment. I won't even be a casual reader. But cheers! none the less.