Missouri dual-threat quarterback Trent Hosick making an official visit to BYU next week

Comments

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    May 2, 2014 2:51 p.m.

He's already talking about winning a national title when he hasn't done anything on the college field?

Yep, sounds like byu is the right fit for him.

And comparing him to Tim Tebow huh?

LOL

We heard about Riley nelson comparisons to Tebow for 3 years too.

GO UTES!

• Big 12 Call Yet? Ogden, UT
    May 2, 2014 2:53 p.m.

4th string QB at a power conference school

Talks of winning national titles, with "talks" being the key word here

Yep, byu is the right fit here!

• Back Talk Federal Way, WA
    May 2, 2014 2:53 p.m.

We will see. BOise State did just get a commmitment from a great QB from Spokane WA.

• Solomon Levi Alpine, UT
    May 2, 2014 2:58 p.m.

I heard about Trent's visit to BYU awhile ago. He hasn't done anything at Missouri, but coming out of high school he was a 3-star recruit (Rivals) and 4-star recruit (Scout) and had offers from:

Missouri
    Arizona St.
    Arkansas
    Baylor
    Illinois
    Iowa
    Iowa St.
    Kansas
    Kansas St.
    Minnesota
    Northern Illinois
    Northwestern

Looks like Trent has lots of potential.

• PAC 12 member by default! Harrisville, UT
    May 2, 2014 3:13 p.m.

hope he enjoys his visit. BYU is the most prestigious program (by any definition), in Utah.

• Hawk Littleton, CO
    May 2, 2014 3:20 p.m.

Sounds like a great fit -- hope he likes what he sees!

Once again, a quick response from our ute friends to jump in and riducule a highly recruited athlete considering BYU. Yeah, "2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0", SHAME on him for wanting to win a national championship. And how embarrassing that must be for him to be compared to (arguably) the greatest college QB ever -- not by BYU fans, but by scout.com, huh? Of course, given the precarious QB situation on the hill since Alex Smith matriculated, I guess it's completely understandable. I too would be concerned that despite a huge recruiting emphasis and a large stable of SEVEN QBs on the roster, it appears that Travis Wilson is still the starter.

Feeling vulnerable, utes?

Go Cougs.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    May 2, 2014 3:26 p.m.

Sounds like Heaps.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    May 2, 2014 3:30 p.m.

Back Talk

"I am not sure that Mangum is a running / dual threat QB. With the change of offensive philosophy at BYU, I am concerned that he will end up going to Boise State when he gets back from his mission."

I wouldn't be too concerned. BYU's offense can be adjusted to fit the skill-set of the starting quarterback - McMahon, Young and Bosco - all had very different styles, yet BYU made it work.

• Juxtaposed West Jordan , UT
    May 2, 2014 3:31 p.m.

It appears to be a better situation than Kendal Thompson because he has more than just 1 year of elgibility left. I don't know how good he is but depth at quarterback is important. If you don't have it you may wind up starting a walk-on like, Adam Schulz, John Hays. Depth at any posistion is important and a lack of it on the defensive, and offensive line has kept BYU from being better.

• Informed Voter South Jordan, UT
    May 2, 2014 3:44 p.m.

I believe it is a recent trend that seemingly many players are switching schools. I wonder how this affects existing players on a team who have been working their way up in the rotation who now must compete with incoming 1 or 2 year "stars" that didn't make it at their previous school? Another sign of "me first and the heck,with loyalty from players and coaches?

• Darren Rowe Heber City, UT
    May 2, 2014 4:09 p.m.

@2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0

The Tebow comment you made is pretty ignorant. They are not saying that Hosick, or Riley Nelson for that matter, is as good as Tim Tebow. They are just comparing his style of play to him.

Yes Nelson was not close to Tebow's talent, but they were both lefty, mobile, scrappy quarterbacks with terrible mechanics that somehow won most of their games simply by motivating their teammates to fight. That's why that comparison comes in.

Judging by the highlights, I would say that's a fair comparison. He is big, mobile and athletic but could use work on his throwing motion, but he still gets the ball there. Also the fact that he hasn't lost since 5th grade shows he is a winner, which is the type of QB the utes have been missing ever since Brian Johnson left.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    May 2, 2014 4:09 p.m.

@ 2013 - as someone who plays sports I can attest that pretty much everyone dreams of winning it all!

If they didn't aim for being the best I'm not sure I would want them on my team be that sports or business!

Always improving, always getting better, aiming high really brings a lot of joy!

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    May 2, 2014 4:47 p.m.

Don't be surprised if Mangum ends up at BSU.

• Susie_Hodson Kansas City, MO
    May 2, 2014 4:54 p.m.

As a Missouri fan, I'll be sad to see him go when he does transfer. News around the Missouri Tiger world of mine all point to BYU. To all the naysayers, BYU will be picking up a great player. Just my two cents.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    May 2, 2014 5:08 p.m.

"He's already talking about winning a national title..." What BYU does and has done.

"when he hasn't done anything on the college field?" What Utah does now.

Some people dream to attend a school that dreams of winning it all.

Some people dream of playing in a conference they'll never win.

I think this guy has his priorities straight.

In all seriousness, I really miss the Detmer air-it-out big time QB. I wish BYU could find a guy like that again, although this guy's highlights are exceptional!

• sg newhall, CA
    May 2, 2014 5:14 p.m.

Never mind waiting for Hill to be done and gone. If this kid can play and run like his reel, then let him compete for the starting position. Hill can run but he sure can't throw. He'll never play in the NFL. He's compared to Tebow in his scrambling ability, but he definitely can stay in the pocket and throw.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    May 2, 2014 5:47 p.m.

Actually his style of play and his physique, he looks like a Hill clone. The only difference is Hill is faster.

Sg--
    The season hasn't started and this kid hasn't signed, and you are already looking to replace Hill? Really?

• White Angel fountain valley, CA
    May 2, 2014 6:10 p.m.

All this talk about Hill not being able to throw is nonsense. He has had very little protection, so he usually is running for his life. I and you have seen him throw the ball over sixty yards on a rope. He is accurate and will be more so when he gets some real speed at the receiver spot. If he gets only a little more protection this year he could possibly be one of the top ten passing quarter-backs in the nation.
    By the way. all this "my school is better than yours" is juvenile. All colleges in Utah are fine institutions with great students and athletic teams.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 2, 2014 7:10 p.m.

Mixed feelings, but all of them good. I really like Mangum and I love the RM model for BYU athletes. On the other hand, I like anybody who likes BYU.

I'm working on my feelings for Ute fans.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 2, 2014 7:24 p.m.

I like his pocket presence.

I love the offense his team ran! Of course, as the competition gets better, not every play goes exactly as it was drawn up.

• scenic view Baltimore, MD
    May 2, 2014 8:20 p.m.

B12?

"4th string QB at a power conference school"

Actually, BETTER than the projected starting QB at power-conference, bottom-dwelling Utah.

Trent Hosick (3-star Rivals #19 QB, 4-star Scout #33 QB)
    Kendal Thompson (3-star Rivals #21 QB, 3-star Scout #36 QB)

Hosik Offers: Missouri, Arizona St., Arkansas, Baylor, Illinois, Iowa, Iowa St., Kansas, Kansas St., Minnesota, Northern Illinois, and Northwestern

Thompson Offers: Oklahoma and Tulsa

Hosick
    Ht: 6'2"
    Wt: 215 lbs
    40: 4.57 secs
    Vertical: 33 inches
    Class: 2013 (High School)
    STRENGTHS: Field Vision, Poise and Leadership, Running Ability / Mobility
    WEAKNESSES: Accuracy / Consistency

Thompson
    Ht: 6'2"
    Wt: 180 lbs
    40: 4.57 secs
    Vertical: 31 inches
    Class: 2011 (High School)
    STRENGTHS: Field Vision, Running Ability / Mobility, Touch
    WEAKNESSES: Accuracy / Consistency, Arm Strength, Size

And let's not forget, Hosick would have a couple of years to learn the offense while playing behind Travis Hill, before competing with Tanner Mangum.

Thompson is being thrown into the fire with only four weeks to learn the offense.

• wahului Stockton, CA
    May 3, 2014 2:12 a.m.

Who is Travis Hill? Yes, I know you meant Taysom...who as we are in the process of undeniably witnessing, has not only the speed, strength and talent to be a truly elite quarterback, but the smarts and work ethic to make it happen. Not there yet, but definitely pointed to that destination. No young athlete is pre destined (limited) in how fully he can develop his physical gifts. Some have tremendous talent, but are unwilling to put in the necessary work to develop potential into reality (Jake Heaps). Others have limited talent but are doggedly determined to get the most possible out of themselves at any cost (Riley Nelson). Taysom is a unique blend of the best of each of these sets of characteristics, plus a lot more. Everything I've seen from him so far tells me he can be a great one, and that we're likely to see it sooner rather than later.

Oh, and BYU IS UNQUESTIONABLY THE BEST SCHOOL IN UTAH IN MANY WAYS.

GOOOOOOOOO COUGARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    May 3, 2014 11:28 a.m.

Juxtaposed "It appears to be a better situation than Kendal Thompson because he has more than just 1 year of elgibility left."

So does Thompson.

Also, the article states that he would battle for the starting position in 2016 , assuming Hill stays for all four years of his eligibility. Where would Hill go?

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2014 12:11 p.m.

Riley Nelson was a blight on BYU's proud QB tradition.

• Proud Ute ,
    May 4, 2014 10:28 a.m.

Can't blame Riley,Bronco kept starting him, that was the problem.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 4, 2014 12:00 p.m.

Rational
    Salt Lake City, UT

Riley Nelson did everything he could, and gave more than anybody could reasonably ask. Whether he was the best option at quarterback or not, he is NOT a blight on anything BYU.

• Chamberlain Salt Lake City, UT
    May 5, 2014 6:26 a.m.

Y Grad / Y Dad

Well said!

If Jake Heaps had had half the competitiveness that Riley Nelson had, Jake would have been a Heisman Trophy candidate.

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    May 5, 2014 9:04 a.m.

"Another sign of 'me first and the heck,with loyalty from players and coaches' . . ."

It's very easy to sit back and lob those types of judgements at kids from the comfort of your bedroom or office. The reality is, if I feel like I have the talent to be a starter and it doesn't appear that I'm going to get the chance at my present locale, why would I feel bad about deciding to transfer? Some guys stick around, despite being stuck to the bench for four years (which most QB's are, really), and are satisfied. Good for them. James Lark, I admire your loyalty, but we'll never know (and you'll never know) how good you could've been.

This is not the same as transferring multiple times or leaving after your junior year for greener pastures. This kid has virtually his whole career ahead of him. I don't begrudge anyone trying to find the best fit for long-term success, though I'm skeptical of guys like Matt Carlino, who have had every opportunity and, at this point, have proven that they are what they are.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 5, 2014 5:25 p.m.

He must have potential, the trolls are excited.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    May 7, 2014 8:22 a.m.

LOL, of course the first bunch of comments on an article about BYU football are from Utah fans. Some things never change.

This would be a good pick-up regardless of the QB's status at Missouri. Mauk took over and will start for the foreseeable future. Doesn't necessarily say anything about Hosick.