Family

Linda & Richard Eyre: Will racial bigotry and prejudice ever end?

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 29, 2014 3:50 p.m.

I wonder when we'll see a crackdown by the nba on language such as the n-word(and no, there is no difference between a white person saying it or a black person, no race owns different words. And giving two sets of rules to different races is racism)

You'd think the African American community would stop using the racist n-word if they truly wanted to do away with racism.

• slcdenizen t-ville, UT
    April 29, 2014 3:56 p.m.

"Will the time come when society matures to a point where we don’t categorize or label people by the color of their skin? We can only hope so."

By the color of their skin... or sexual orientation. Keep trying though! Some of us will keep encouraging you through the enlightenment process, but for now I guess recognizing the frailties of categorizing a person by the color of their skin will suffice.

• Downtime Saint George, UT
    April 29, 2014 4:01 p.m.

This issue is a dog chasing its tail. You call for an end to racism-whatever that is-and then identify a particular group as "Africa-American." Isn't that moniker racist? Every time we put some country of supposed origin in front of the word "American" racism has raised its ugly head. Society forces us to be racist by perpetuating stereotypes in the media, sports, and politics. If race is not brought up every so often, some organization (NAACP, Latin Attorney's Association, the alphabet networks) will make sure we are reminded how racist we all are. How many times do we hear: "She is the first black female reporter" or "He is the first Jewish-American-Mormon-Gay jogger to win a medium-sized half-marathon." The more we as a people try to change, the more society forces us to remember to stay the same.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    April 29, 2014 4:01 p.m.

Each new generation sheds more racist and antiquated beliefs.
    Just one generation before me, people were fighting to marry the person they love, even though a majority of folks made up of ignorant racist wanted to keep folks segregated, "The way God intended." It would be a few more years before the LDS church would change their (not) doctrine to allow blacks equal access to ALL their ordinances.
    It's hard for a lot of folks to change their beliefs when what they've been taught most their lives as the "Truth" isn't really the truth.

• Moontan Roanoke, VA
    April 29, 2014 4:06 p.m.

A nice piece extolling the virtues of politically correct thinking. It would appear the Eyre's long for the day when we all look and think alike. I wore the uniform, defending the right of American's to say ignorant things in the privacy of their own homes. Those days are rapidly coming to an end. I hear the ghost of Orwell yelling "I told you so!"

• Shane333 Cedar Hills, UT
    April 29, 2014 4:17 p.m.

As long as it can further an agenda, I don't think we will ever see the end of race.

Consider the situation involving George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin. There was never any evidence that race had anything to do with Zimmerman shooting to defend his life. Zimmerman volunteered time tutoring minority kids and got along with his neighbors of all ethnic backgrounds. Yet for months the story was presented by the media with a race narrative.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    April 29, 2014 4:20 p.m.

"Will racial bigotry and prejudice ever end?"

. . . No

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    April 29, 2014 4:20 p.m.

The issue isn't racism, but rather the Internet and an insatiable need to bolster the narrative.
    Donald Sterling has a history of prejudicial actions going back decades. Within the sports world those actions were well-known.
    Our PC world will continue to attack people at the time of their choosing. Some are given a pass today and will be made to suffer tomorrow.
    We must all be careful about what we say and when we say it. Perhaps the Eyres should tell us how to teach that to our children.
    Rule #1: Never say, "Some of my best friends are _________."

• Kirk R Graves West Jordan, UT
    April 29, 2014 4:38 p.m.

@slcdenizen

First, your are right, it is not ok to judge people on their color or their sexual orientation.

However there is a world of difference between a person's skin tone (or sexual orientation) and a person's behavior. Law has no right to differentiate base on color or preference, but law regularly differentiates based on behavior. In fact, that is the very essence of what law is, the discrimination of certain behaviors to create a stable, self-replicating, society.

• American First Merced, CA
    April 29, 2014 4:50 p.m.

There's alot of racism in the NBA and it's not all coming from whites.

• slcdenizen t-ville, UT
    April 29, 2014 5:48 p.m.

@Kirk R Graves

"to create a stable, self-replicating, society."

Define stable. Define self-replicating. Define society. I'm sure we'll disagree on the very definitions. But since you've got it all figured out, why not move to a secluded area where everyone behaves according to your recommendation. But if you stay here, why not join the party! We have pluralism! And rule of law that prohibits enforcing any one group's narrow definition of common good over another's.

That's why the SSM movement is gaining traction. Not because we're out to get religious groups that cling to their liberal bible interpretation, but because there is inherent value in allowing people in a free society to be free. Allowing discrimination on the basis of biological features has, historically speaking, marginalized people and prohibited access to certain benefits of our society. Let me pose a challenge: apply empathy towards other people as liberally as you read the Bible. For each verse that is ignored, find a group that you are unfamiliar with and learn about their struggles or grievances. One is bound to find broader horizons and a deeper sense of living.

• Kirk R Graves West Jordan, UT
    April 29, 2014 6:18 p.m.

@slcdenizen

From the tone of your comment, I have to assume you would prefer that anyone not in support of SSM should "move to a secluded area where everyone behaves according to (their) recommendation", rather than be willing to have an open and honest discussion on the issue.

Yes, the rule of law is how we govern. But, the issue is not "should the law rule?", but how to interpret that law. For 200+ years, there has been no question about what the word "marriage" meant. Whenever a law was created or enforced during those years it was with that definition in mind. Now, certain groups are trying to change that definition.

That is really what the issue is. Once we as a nation decide if we want to change the definition of the word, then the Law can be applied. Until then, rather than let the people decide what that definition is, certain groups are doing an end-run around the will of the people and getting the word changed through the courts.

Does that sound like the pluralistic approach to law?

• Kirk R Graves West Jordan, UT
    April 29, 2014 6:44 p.m.

@slcdenizen

Sorry, I forgot your definitions.

(my definitions since that is what you asked for)

Society - A structured community of people bound together by similar traditions, institutions, nationality. This has nothing to do with religion, but definitely includes shared moral values.

Stable - Able to flex and adapt to changes around it without giving up it core common values.

Self-Replicating - In order to last, any society must pass it's values on to the next generation. This requires 1) a next generation, and 2) a consistent message about what those values are.

Any society which fails in any of these 3 areas simply fails as a society, in the same way that Darwin postulated natural selection works. A stronger culture conquers or absorbs the weaker society. By definition, a culture which rejects its own mores has failed as a society because it has become something different.

• Moontan Roanoke, VA
    April 29, 2014 6:53 p.m.

I suppose it was inevitable that a piece on racism would draw SSM supporters, although I don't know why, but it does raise a question: do the Eyre's suggest we have to accept SSM to prove we are not bigots, too? If I'm overheard saying, from my living room, that I don't believe in SSM, should I be fired from my job, banned from ever going to, say, a museum?

• Mark B Eureka, CA
    April 29, 2014 7:02 p.m.

How sad that, even today, we can't quite seem to get beyond the "yeah, well they do it, too" stage. And last time I looked, the NBA had no franchises in Merced.

• activ2004 Clearfield, UT
    April 29, 2014 7:17 p.m.

As soon as ignorant propaganda and professional sports immorality ends, and the whole truth in context (check the youtube video, sounds more like 'jealousy' then discrimination) is revealed and understood with compassion and charity in place of reverse bigotry, racism and hate.

I do not understand how an NBA owner who signs the payroll checks of 80% of the African American/minority team players, African American Head Coach, 3 of 4 African American/minority assistant coaches, numerous African American/minority trainers and arena employees, I need not go on, is accused of racial discrimination.

Oh, and by the way the video should expose his minority girlfriend to be the real culprit of reverse discrimination and dishonesty.

Oh, and by the way as I have observed over the course of my life isn't it mostly the rich, greedy white race that supports the minority athletes by attending the professional/collegiate sporting events where affirmative action is nonexistent and purchases and wears the apparel and sports memorabilia regardless of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation/morality, religion etc. etc?

I thought society had progressed into the 21st century, I suppose it just goes to show that bogus, divisive retro reruns still pay the bills.

• slcdenizen t-ville, UT
    April 29, 2014 7:57 p.m.

@KirkRGraves

"honest discussion on the issue."

That's fair, but goes both ways. One side wants equal access to an institution currently reserved by a narrow definition that they feel should be expanded to include same gender couples. The other side (yours presumably) wants the definition maintained and to reluctantly open alternative avenues for same gender couples to gain the monetary benefits of marriage, but with a different title. The honesty breaks down at the point of why same-sex couples do not qualify for marital status under the law. The actual reason is that homosexuality is condemned in the Bible and thus considered a choice by lustful or sexually confused individuals, rather than a natural occurrence in both ours and every other observed dual-gender species. So the question raised is: why are the legal defenses for prop 8 and it's replicants not addressing the Biblical origins of the argument and instead providing debunked and scientifically biased studies in the court room? Moreover, if history is any indication of future behavior, then animals, and humans in particular, are not in any need of encouragement to propagate and we could presumably cross that bridge when and if we arrive.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    April 29, 2014 8:36 p.m.

The beauty of the flower garden is the many assorted colors of the flowers all being special in their own way when united in a bouquet.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    April 29, 2014 8:41 p.m.

I hope we can learn to respect other people's property. There are fences, lines, limits and boundary. Protect the borders but don't cross the line. All it takes is a quick look at the prisons it get an idea of who's who.

• Blue Bolshevik Salt Lake City, UT
    April 29, 2014 8:47 p.m.

Racism and bigotry might end when all the so called white christian racists go away, perhaps in a rapture...c'ya!

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    April 29, 2014 9:04 p.m.

I suppose there will always be racial bigotry but today it is nothing compared to what it was when I was a youth. In most places I have lived, it is not deeply entrenched. In ways, the people who shout so loudly about racial problems are making it a bigger problem than it is.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    April 30, 2014 5:45 a.m.

FYI, the Republican Party actively recruited White Racists in its "Southern Strategy." Look it up.

Yes, of course, Racism will always be around as long as the Republican Party stirs up racism and sympathizes with it practitioners in attempts to get its candidates elected.

• Midwest Mom Soldiers Grove, WI
    April 30, 2014 7:49 a.m.

I never felt that the lyrics "there is no end to spirit, there is no end to race," implied anything other than physical attributes--that heaven will include people of all kinds, not that we will all be turned into fair blondes.

• Badgerbadger Murray, UT
    April 30, 2014 8:25 a.m.

'Will racial bigotry and prejudice ever end?’

If the Middle East is any indication, not a chance.

Until people are willing to forgive the offenses of past generations, not a chance.

So far holding hate for a race is acceptable if it is based on things of past generations. Since those things cannot be changed, they are past, we collectively, will have to give up that grudge, for bigotry to end.

I don't see that happening. Forgiveness of the ancients is the answer, and too many won't do that. They would rather hold the grudge and be miserable.

• see Jane comment Salem, UT
    April 30, 2014 8:43 a.m.

My son is adopted from Ethiopia. Even in little ole' Utah, there is still so much racism. He is now in Mississippi serving a mission, and it is extremely racist there. Still very segregated with a VERY Black/white feeling. I always have told him that what people say, says so much more about them, than it does him.

• sweepitup slc, UT
    April 30, 2014 8:46 a.m.

I choose to look at the word RACE in that inspiring song to mean "there is no end, so no need to RACE". " there is no end to race"

• Stormwalker Cleveland , OH
    April 30, 2014 8:48 a.m.

There is no end to spirit;
    There is no end to race.

Read those lyrics in a historical vacuum and then try and figure out a meaning that makes sense through the lens of culture today.

Or read the statements of Brigham Young and other leaders, up through Bruce R. McConkie and Mark Peterson, about the origins and meaning of the different races and the path of each from pre-existence through eternal reward.

Suddenly the tie between "spirit" and "race" makes sense and takes on a much deeper and fuller meaning in the context of the culture contemporary to the lyrics.

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    April 30, 2014 8:59 a.m.

-----------

I certainly hope so too and have ever since first recognizing racism for what it was more than 50 years ago. Since that time I have seen a very slow transition to a disregard for the idea of distinguishing people on the basis of physical characteristics that nothing to do with character. Which, of course, was the basic thesis of Martin Luther King's famous, "I Have A Dream" speech.

Sadly, there are many people and even whole organizations that thrive on and, in some cases, owe their entire existence to the perpetuation of sensitivity to racial distinction. We see it now in both the idiotic comments by Sterling and in many of the reactions to those.

Hopefully, the movement will continue toward accepting each person as an individual human being who, for that reason alone, is entitled to the same rights as every other **individual** human being. That is my dream and the dream of many others.

• sweepitup slc, UT
    April 30, 2014 9:00 a.m.

I choose to believe that that inspired song is referencing " there is no end SO there is no RACE to finish. " there is no end to race"

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    April 30, 2014 1:36 p.m.

"Kids are essentially colorblind and blind to prejudice, and it is our job as parents to keep them that way."

======

Agreed.
    My first friend was named Amos.

It was 3 years later that I was told by others that he was 'different'.

Proving to me personally that it is indeed a 'learned' thing.

FYI - My parents didn't tell me [and they were correct],
    it was the other kids at school.

• Moontan Roanoke, VA
    April 30, 2014 2:34 p.m.

@see Jane comment ... That is simply not true. I lived in Mississippi 24 years. Blacks and whites live together in every since of the term. This isn't the 1950s-60s anymore. Again, my comment isn't based on feelings or the most recent rerun of 'Mississippi Burning'. I lived there.

• Moontan Roanoke, VA
    April 30, 2014 2:42 p.m.

* in every 'sense' of the term, too.

• LDSareChristians Anchorage, AK
    April 30, 2014 4:27 p.m.

At Stormwalker,

You are the one in the historical vacuum.

The Song was written in 1842, long before the remarks of Brigham Young, Bruce McConkie and such were made.
    In that era, most LDS were abolitionists. Consider the songs lyrics in that light....

• Rocket Science Brigham City, UT
    April 30, 2014 8:29 p.m.

The song refers to the race of man, man coming from God. There is no end to the race of the children of God and we are all Children of God. In fact one of my all time favorite songs is titled I am a Child of God and can be sung by every member off the human race - the Race of God. I guess that would make us all brothers and sisters, I guess wee should be a little nicer and speak kind words to each other if we are family.

• Dr. Thom Long Beach, CA
    April 30, 2014 10:18 p.m.

I taught at an HBCU (Historically Black College or University) in East Texas and the interesting thing was how the Black students systematically discriminated against the Latino students but all agreed that it was totally impossible for Black people to be racists since they were once oppressed.

• rebeccadl Fort Collins, CO
    May 1, 2014 10:45 p.m.

My family has been ethnically diverse since the early 1960's. I get ticked when people ask me or my family what race we are. There is only 1 race, human. Since the 1970's I have encouraged my family and friends to always answer race questions as human. If we are filling out a form for school, work, or government we check the other box and write in human. Legally you are whatever race that you say that you are, no one is legally allowed to make you "prove" whatever race they think you are.

The only way to get past the race issue is to eliminate the race names and realize that we are all one race, human.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    May 2, 2014 7:27 a.m.

Although with each passing year, another million angry white men and women die in America and lie in their graves having succumbed to the ravages of time and general grumpiness, race will continue to be an issue in our country as long as attitudes such as those you can find on this thread, exist. Soft spoken, subtle, couched in blaming the victim and rife with self loathing, it will always be the case that many in our country want to find a way to feel that they are better than the "other." Too often, that other will be easier to define for them because they fear them and can tell that they are of a different ethnicity.

• firstamendment Lehi, UT
    May 2, 2014 9:38 a.m.

Sigh....:/ tired of people pretending that Homosexuality is race and that gays can't vote or drink out of the same drinking fountains as others. Actually, according to gaydowntownla the HRC and others, if you're Black and gay, you might have to go to the end of the line in a gay bar, where they still segregate by color. So, instead of pushing the agenda, I think our comment activists would do better if they were working on eliminating the bigotry in their own communities, where it is rampant, especially anti-religious bigotry.

• Ranch Here, UT
    May 2, 2014 11:48 a.m.

@firstamendment;

Sigh...../tired of people pretending that bigotry against homosexuals isn't every bit as bigotry against race. The two are similar in that they are both inherant. You are what you are. Religion, on the other hand IS A CHOICE. Bigotry is also a choice.