Mike Sorensen: Jim Boylen's a good guy, but it would be a surprise if he's the next Jazz coach

Comments

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 27, 2014 7:14 p.m.

Sorenson is spot on.

I really liked the Boylen hire when he came to Utah. I don't lay the dumpster fire that Utah basketball became completely at his feet, Giac had a big hand in that. Boylen always struck me as a stand up guy who really cared about the program and the players, I just think there is too much baggage in Utah for him.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    April 27, 2014 9:10 p.m.

As the Jazz approach what will be two decisions towards a new beginning...

To recycle Boylen, allowing him to be the Jazz new beginnings HC is...

a stroke of genius.

I can't wait to see this stroke of genius duplicated by an equally amazing draft pick.

Go Jazz.

• GZE SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 28, 2014 8:37 a.m.

The Jazz need to slow down a little. After the events of the past two days, Doc Rivers could very easily be on the market next week. He's a coach worth pursuing.

• General Alpine, UT
    April 28, 2014 9:40 a.m.

Hire coach K!

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    April 28, 2014 10:06 a.m.

General- If you mean Coach Krzyzewski, by all means hire him. If you mean our Coach K, he's taken.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 28, 2014 10:56 a.m.

Magna Ute Fa

It's doubtful that the real Coach K would be interested, but the coach k on the hill would jump at the chance to coach in the NBA.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    April 28, 2014 11:24 a.m.

@General

Hire coach K from u or duke? If you are saying coach in blue, will Jarbari Parker going to come to Jazz? Well, that is a good questin where in the power ball the Jazz going to get.

Bolen may be a nice guy but not tough enough to be like Jerry Sloan. Sorry, I say no, don't hire him.

• FYI Taylorsville, UT
    April 28, 2014 11:25 a.m.

@Uteanymous
    "but the coach k on the hill would jump at the chance to coach in the NBA."

If that's the case then how do you explain, not only the fact that he just signed a new 5 year contract to coach the Utes, but also told ESPN 700 that he preferred coaching at the collegiate level?

“I truly believe this is where it’s at,” he said. “And this makes an awful lot of sense for me and my family.”

• Hailstorm is a coming Riverdale, UT
    April 28, 2014 12:00 p.m.

Say it isn't so. I could not bear the thought of having to watch the Panic, screaming and tantrums of coach Boylen.. I had enough of that watching the Ute games.
    IMO hire Alex Jensen =-- he is a coaches coach and has learned from the best . He has what it takes as COY in the expansion league and isn't a flake and bridesmaids like the Van Gundys.

• sky2k1 Provo, UT
    April 28, 2014 12:55 p.m.

Go for Lionel Hollins. he helped memphis (a small market team with 2 solid big men) have the best year in their franchise history before he was let go. I think he could make things work out here.

• Richie Saint George, UT
    April 28, 2014 3:51 p.m.

The experts said Corbin was a great guy and a good coach, especially the media. I hope the Jazz management is smarter then we are and don't read the papers when it comes to selecting a new coach. Otherwise the Energy Solutions Arena is going to be a sea of empty green seats.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    April 28, 2014 6:34 p.m.

Jim Boylen has an impressive resume as an assistant coach, but it takes a different skill set to be a Head Coach than an assistant. Those he worked with at Utah are not the only ones who wonder if he has those skills. I don't think Jim has ever been a finalist in any NBA Head Coaching position. Apparently others are wary as well.

Jim did some good things at the "U" but there were always concerns as well. Certainly going into a full meltdown after a loss is not a good sign. Loosing the confidence of top players doesn't bode well either.

If Dennis Lindsey is floating a trial balloon by initiating these rumors, he should have his answer now. The balloon got shot down before it got two feet off the ground.

• In but not of Lehi, UT
    April 28, 2014 8:40 p.m.

As a Ute fan, I don't love Boylen's results.

That said, I firmly believe that he did everything that he felt necessary to succeed at Utah. He gave his all to the Utes, and I respect that.

He would be welcome in my home, and he's a great guy.

I also think he'll be successful as an NBA Head Coach. I just don't think that the Jazz should be the team to give him a shot. It would be tough for the franchise and tough for Coach B.

I'm honestly glad to see that he has landed on his feet.

• cval Hyde Park, UT
    May 2, 2014 9:26 a.m.

It's not Boylen's X's and O's or knowledge of the game people are questioning. It's his emotional IQ. Public meltdown's on the air do not lead to feelings of confidence and trust.