High school soccer: 5A/4A state tournament pairings

Comments

• mike_soccerman Ephraim, UT
    April 27, 2014 11:53 a.m.

In the Central region Wasatch Academy and Manti were tied for first. Manti won the coin toss and the first seed. Wasatch Academy will go as the second seed.

• nvfan Cedar City, UT
    April 28, 2014 3:51 p.m.

I will call it today, all the Region 9 teams will win their first round games and that the ultimate State Champion will come from Region 9. In fact both finalists will be from Region 9. That is my educated opinion. I really feel that last years Region 9 Champion-Desert Hills should have been able to play in this years tournament. They were a solid team. As it is, every other Region has all but 1 of their teams playing post season while Region 9 has 3 teams that do not qualify. How much sense does that make???? There need to be some sort of a play in game for Region 9's 5th place team. Richfield needed only 1 win and 1 tie in Region play to qualify. Doesn't make any sense to me.

• Simpe Spectator St.George, UT
    April 30, 2014 9:47 a.m.

I completely agree. There is a ton of talent down here, and the 5th and 6th place teams would spank the 4th place teams in other regions.

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    May 1, 2014 7:21 a.m.

ahh the southern clan has spoken, there will be a couple teams up north that will squash your plans

• Simpe Spectator St.George, UT
    May 1, 2014 11:41 a.m.

I still for the life of me cannot figure out why Park City is ranked....

• Equinox Fox22 Hurricane, UT
    May 1, 2014 3:09 p.m.

I agree with most everyone here, region 9 has been a class above everyone else. Hurricane who finished 6th in the region beat Park City pretty easily 2-0 early in the year. I think that anyone in region 9 outside of Canyon View is capable of beating any other 3A team in the state. I think that region 9 will sweep the first round with Stansbury and Cedar being the only close game and I would not be surprised to see an all region 9 final four.

• The Original G St.George, UT
    May 1, 2014 3:35 p.m.

We'll likely be seeing at least 3 region 9 teams in the semis. Juan Diego is about the only one that'll get in the way of that as well as travel could do Cedar or Snow Canyon in.

• nvfan Cedar City, UT
    May 1, 2014 9:47 p.m.

Well, I am now 4 for 4 on my predictions. Region 9 just won 4 out of 4 of their opening games. But hats off to Stansbury for playing a highly competitive game that could have gone either way. I knew it would be a difficult game for either team to win. I just felt that the more difficult region schedule that Cedar played would pay off in the end. Now we are coming to the second and more competitive round of games Saturday. I predict, using the same logic I used for the first games, that every Region 9 team will again come out on top. This is not to say that any of these games will be easy wins. But playing the extremely hard region 9 schedule will make the difference.

I am also in agreement with Equinox Fox22 and Simpe Spectator. We left two solid teams out of the tournament, Hurricane and Desert Hills. Both teams could have competed very well if they were allowed in. Either team could have won games against the first place teams from the other regions.

• HeberFYFA HEBER CITY, UT
    May 1, 2014 10:09 p.m.

Park City lost early in the year down south. Playing outdoors after a winter of inside on small fields is a challenge. The semifinals should have Park City, Juan Diego, Dixie, and Pineview. A great final four.

• Equinox Fox22 Hurricane, UT
    May 1, 2014 10:58 p.m.

Region 9 proved how tough they are today although not as dominantly as I thought they would. I blame it on nerves that come with the playoffs. For the second round I think that Dixie easily handles Payson on the road. Pine View and Uintah will be close for the first half and the heat will take its toll and Pine View will win.

The two closest games will be Park city vs Cedar and Snow Canyon and Juan Diego, I see both games going to overtime with the Cedar game going to a shootout just like last year. I believe that both region 9 teams will be able to pull it off in the end. Here's hoping to go 8/8.

• sky2k1 Provo, UT
    May 1, 2014 11:46 p.m.

I'm a region 9 homer for sure, and hope they all do well, but I'm also impressed that region 10 advanced its 3 top seeds. I would have liked for them to advanced all 4 so dixie could have a home game, and so it could be a 9 vs 10 showdown, but oh well. Best of luck to Dixie and the rest of region 9.

• nvfan Cedar City, UT
    May 2, 2014 1:02 p.m.

I have both Cedar and Snow Canyon winning in close games, but neither going to PK's. Dixie and Pine View will win their easier games with a few more goals.

• nvfan Cedar City, UT
    May 3, 2014 4:32 p.m.

Cedar pulls out a big win at Park City. Cedar-2, Park City-1. Center Referee would not shake hands with the Cedar players after the game. No explanation. Summer home in Park City? Who knows? Referee gave 4 to 6 minutes of extra time at the end of the game. Longest extra time given out at any other Cedar game all season.

Park City would have tied the game at 2-2, except for the fact that the player was offside. Good intense play by both teams, similar to last year but with Cedar winning. Great game to watch.

• WeberCatBasketballFan Midway, UT
    May 4, 2014 7:21 a.m.

First place Pine View only beat 8-9 Uintah 1-0??? Hmmm

• nvfan Cedar City, UT
    May 4, 2014 3:49 p.m.

Good point. But Pine View did win. We have 3 region 9 teams in the final 4. I would say that this demonstrates a strong conference showing. Cedar has now won both a #1 and #2 team from the other regions and will now try to extend their streak by playing the region 9 champion, Pine View. It just shows how tuff the competition has been all season long. Desert Hills and Hurricane should have also qualified for the playoffs.

• Equinox Fox22 Hurricane, UT
    May 4, 2014 3:51 p.m.

Uintah came in with a good game plan and played very physical on Pine View. It worked but then it ended up costing them with a penalty kick. Pine View was the better team all game and controlled possession. Uintah only had one scoring chance early in the first half and never got close to a shot the rest of the game.

Congratulations to Juan Diego for playing well and knocking off Snow Canyon by the way. For the semis I see Pine View easily beating Cedar to move onto the final. Dixie has been under performing so far in the playoffs and unless they fix things in practice this week Juan Diego will beat them. No matter who wins I think that Pine View will be the eventual champion in the end they are playing really good defense and their offense keeps the pressure on all game.

• The Original G St.George, UT
    May 4, 2014 4:21 p.m.

Strange you bring that up, WeberCatBasketballFan. Juan Diego only beat 8-9 Uintah 4-3 and again 3-2 in OVERTIME. Hmmmmm.... But really, Uintah was a lot better than their record showed, but Pine View significantly outplayed them despite the underwhelming 1-0 result.

• rural citizen Vernal, UT
    May 4, 2014 6:25 p.m.

Yes, region 9 is the strongest region but not to the degree stated. #1 Pine View beats #3 Uintah 1-0 on a penalty kick. One unlucky play and the results could have been different. I wouldn't call that domination.

• nvfan Cedar City, UT
    May 4, 2014 7:24 p.m.

Once a team makes it to the quarterfinals they should be of a higher caliber. I think the teams were this year. The scores were and should be close. Uintah, Park City, Snow Canyon, Payson and Stansbury are all quality teams. They all played real tough teams and unfortunately lost to other quality teams. Many of the games could have easily gone the other way. I disagree with Equinox Fox22, "I see Pine View easily beating Cedar to move onto the final." In my opinion it has no basis in fact. I don't call a 2-1 or even the 2-0 game an easy game. Both teams know one another well and I believe it will be very difficult for Pine View to win a third game against Cedar. If Pine View does come out victorious, it won't be "easy". I feel that any of the teams remaining have an equal chance to play in the finals and will need to make a little luck for themselves to come out with a victory. I see all of the game being close....

• WeberCatBasketballFan Midway, UT
    May 4, 2014 8:02 p.m.

Ha, I know Uintah is a scrappy team and Juan Diego only beat them by a goal. That comment was mostly bait to see how the strongly biased comments would continue. ;-)

• Utah man 3 Vernal, UT
    May 5, 2014 10:07 a.m.

Uintah played a great game against pine view. This is why you play the games instead of going off paper. Uintah played good soccer this year. Give them credit. I wouldn't say pine view dominated in any fashion. They were a good team.

• Utah man 3 Vernal, UT
    May 5, 2014 10:12 a.m.

Luck had absolutely nothing to do with it

• georg Parowan, UT
    May 9, 2014 7:00 a.m.

Region 9 has proven that southern Utah has some good soccer. Looking at the 2A semi finals backs that up even more with both Parowan and Delta High school in the final four.

• region9mom St. George, UT
    May 9, 2014 10:04 a.m.

No one down south is biased. 3 out of our 4 team's in the Semi's. Yes, us "southerner's". Anyway, see ya at Rio Tinto... :-)

• nvfan Cedar City, UT
    May 9, 2014 10:22 p.m.

Just as I said, no easy game for Pine View against Cedar. Cedar wins 4-1.

• nvfan Cedar City, UT
    May 10, 2014 8:19 a.m.

Ok, here is my very last prediction for this soccer tournament. Cedar wins a close game against a very talented and tough Dixie team. So far I have only had one wrong prediction during the tournament, the Snow Canyon game against Juan Diego. Not too bad.

But whichever team comes out on top today, congratulations, you will have deserved it. Both teams have had a great run.

• red rocks Saint George, UT
    May 10, 2014 9:12 p.m.

Great game for Dixie today. Dixie jumped on Cedar early and the Dixie Defense kept Cedar down. Cedar had very few clean looks at the goal today. Dixie had a lot of good looks that they just didn't finish.

Congrats to Cedar they had a great run through the playoffs. Dixie talent too much and very deep.