Utah

Gang member shot, killed after lunging at court witness

Comments

• Rustymommy Clovis, NM
    April 21, 2014 3:21 p.m.

Looks like no trial will be required.

• Demo Dave Holladay, UT
    April 21, 2014 4:09 p.m.

As far as addressing our gang problem goes, it's a start.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    April 21, 2014 4:11 p.m.

This ended well for everybody. No innocents hurt, and a dangerous man that can no longer commit crimes against society. I call it a win - win.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    April 21, 2014 4:30 p.m.

I don't understand why the judge declared a mistrial. She said what happened would prejudice the jury. But what happened was the doing of the defendant, if anything this act sheds light on his character, and if not let the defense attorney explain why not.

I've often heard that our system of justice is the best in the world. Things like this and sending a person to prison to prison for decades because he had a gun strapped to his ankle when selling marijuana make me have my doubts. [I am referring to the case where Senator Orin Hatch tried to get a drug dealers sentence lessened].

If the United States has the best justice system in the world, it doesn't mean we don't have a lot of improving to do, and it does imply that all the rest of the countries in the world have pretty poor justice systems.

• majmajor Layton, UT
    April 21, 2014 4:53 p.m.

I don't understand how the actions of the (then) defendant could "taint" a jury. His actions testified louder about his character and his probable guilt to the charges than if he got sworn in. He had the right-to-remain-silent, but didn't have the capacity to do so.

Seriously, I feel for the Marshal and the occupants of the court. I wish that they are able to recover from this tragic event.

• Ricardo Carvalho Provo, UT
    April 21, 2014 6:36 p.m.

My condolences to Angilau's family. It seems like he was in a bad space and not coming out of it any time soon so I cannot regret that he will not be on the street to do more harm. On the other hand, he was somebody's little boy at some point and his family must be heartbroken over his life and death.

• ManInTheMiddle SANDY, UT
    April 21, 2014 6:48 p.m.

We should applaud the Marshal. Thanks for your service to keep us all safer.

• McBearsNY usa, NY
    April 21, 2014 6:50 p.m.

Tongan cripts---does it mean he is really from Tonga?

• rawlshea1 salt lake city, UT
    April 21, 2014 7:18 p.m.

Thanks to Judge Tina Campbell. That she had the presence of mind to visit the traumatized jury reflects on her incredible courage and commitment. I hope the Jury is thanked for one of the most important civic duties one can have, serving on a jury. We must do something about the violence in our society. Simply putting people in prison doesn't work. Why not have our institutions of higher education receive a few grants to study the problem. But, most important let us recognize Judge Campbell for the courageous jurist she is.

• BYU Joe MISSION VIEJO, CA
    April 21, 2014 7:22 p.m.

"When I kneel down at night I pray for mercy not justice." James Faust.

Perhaps all of you who are glad a man is shot are guilt free, as for me I am neither ready to cast the first shoe or bullet. That relates to the comments made here.

As for the U.S. Marshal - he did his duty and did it correctly and well. We should applaud his skill and professionalism and speak nothing of the man who was shot.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    April 21, 2014 7:27 p.m.

Seeing people die in front of you is never good even if they "deserve" it. Taking a life of someone is a trying experience even if the shooting is a "righteous" kill. I find some of the flippant comments concerning.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 21, 2014 7:33 p.m.

Thank you to the U.S. Marshall for his quick and correct action

Part of our justice system is having fair trials, and violent attacks on witnesses, or jury members, or the judges MUST NOT be tolerated. The truth must come out so that justice can be rendered in a fair verdict, and actions by defendants or their accomplices to intimidate others must be prevented.

Well done, sir.

• roberto Moses Lake, WA
    April 21, 2014 7:53 p.m.

Awwww that's too bad

• aceroinox Farmington, UT
    April 21, 2014 8:27 p.m.

Maybe someone can disabuse me of this notion, but it seems like some of the detail shared about the witness's testimony (which sparked the attack) might put that witness's life in danger from other TCG members. Maybe that eventuality has already been dealt with via a witness protection program, but the comments by the jury member, while incredibly newsworthy, seem inappropriate and perhaps inflammatory. Am I just being paranoid?

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    April 21, 2014 9:08 p.m.

Even when the death of another human being could not be avoided as appears to be the case here it certainly is not cause for flippant and childish comments.

• LibertyMurf Canton, GA
    April 21, 2014 9:13 p.m.

The Marshall who shot the defendant appears to be a hero! I wasn't there & I don't know the facts for certain, but if the reporting is accurate, then that Marshall deserves a medal for his quick response! Good training & superb response with accuracy & safety, exactly the way it should be. The judge is also to be commended for declaring a quick mistrial. All defendants deserve a fair trial. Period! Balancing justice & mercy requires the wisdom of Solomon.

• Born in Bountiful Provo, Utah
    April 21, 2014 9:53 p.m.

I've been in over a 100 trials I cannot understand how the Marshalls were not on the man before he got 2 steps out of his chair. Someone was asleep in the courtroom or playing video games on their phones. Why wasn't the bad guy wearing a stun belt or vest? These are routinely required in cases of violent offenders. You hit a button and the guy goes down like a rock from the shock. And shooting in court room? This is totally unacceptable even if the guy was a total bum.

• golfrUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 21, 2014 10:34 p.m.

@ rawlshea1

Judge Campbell made the decision to have the defendant (convicted gang member of multiple violent crimes) unshackled in her courtroom so as to "not prejudice the jury." What a load of crap! The defendant's record spoke for itself. If the defendant is shackled with handcuffs and ankle cuffs, this senseless situation never happens. I can only imagine the trauma the defendant caused the jurors, his own family, the federal marshall and all who witnessed the shooting. Thank goodness the marshall was well trained to handle the situation and no innocent people were injured.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    April 22, 2014 5:55 a.m.

Gang members are sworn to secrecy about their life style. In many cases, they were brought into the gang through a violent initiation. They are sworn to uphold the "code". The lack of shackling for violent offenders is not the most common sense approach to security. Just think if that marshall had not been standing there. The idea was to intimidate the jury and it evidently worked. Who will want to be on a similar RICO jury?

• raybies Layton, UT
    April 22, 2014 6:37 a.m.

Can you imagine if the marshal would've missed one of his shots and hit the little girl sitting in the courtroom?!

There has to be a better way to restrain a defendant than shooting them in the chest 3+ times.

• Lia Sandy, UT
    April 22, 2014 9:03 a.m.

The pen is mightier than the sword, but it is not mightier than the Glock.

• Lia Sandy, UT
    April 22, 2014 9:04 a.m.

A novel way to get out of jury duty.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    April 22, 2014 9:59 a.m.

Man, the poor jurors sure earned their $22.30

• Tumbleweed Centerville, UT
    April 22, 2014 10:08 a.m.

Has any news team made an attempt to get the courtroom video? There seems to be some discrepancy of whether or not the defendant actually had anything in his hands. The eye witness said it looked like he was going after the witness with his fists. The video may indeed be something the public deserves to see for themselves.

• Rustymommy Clovis, NM
    April 22, 2014 10:46 a.m.

I am not without compassion. I am sorry that the defendant got killed. I wish nobody was ever killed. But, I am even sorrier that this man didn't learn that one important lesson in life: "You can choose your actions, but you can't choose the consequences." This was an avoidable death. Not by the judge. Not by the Marshal. It could have been avoided by the defendant himself. Being in the courtroom at all was because of his own actions. Being shot at while there was because of his own actions. My condolences to those who loved him.

• Jack Aurora, CO
    April 22, 2014 10:12 p.m.

For all who question the justice system or the prison sentences for offenders, know this: there are some in our society who are incarcerated to protect us from them. They do not want to be rehabilitated, they are violent predators who have no desire to do anything but prey on the weak. This guy was doing violent armed robberies while in high school, he was one of those who could not live among civilized society. They are warehoused.

That said, I am all for rehabilitation for those who will. I am for restorative justice before it gets to the prison system. I want to see rehabilitated former prisoners get a 2nd chance if they earn it through rehab and good behavior. Lets not confuse those who can, with those who won't.

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    April 23, 2014 10:51 a.m.

I liked the comment that at one time he was somebody's baby. Perhaps the family was hoping their son would be rehabilitated. Now that won't happen. There is more joy in heaven for a wicked man who repents than 99 men good men who remained righteous. Like Pres. Faust said, "At night I pray for mercy, not for justice."

• sukiyhtaky us, CA
    April 25, 2014 6:04 a.m.

C-Down...B-Down

BYU Joe: Come on down from Mission Viejo to the real world say in Compton or Salinas, California. Then when you see a 3 year old hit while playing in his BACK yard by a drive by or twin girls shot in their stroller 'just because' you can take the non-judgemental high road. A bullet shot through one office and into my office missing my secretaries head by one foot. May I add my secretary who was 8 months pregnant at the time. I don't cry for bangers or their families. I deal with them and know they look the other way and even cover up and lie for them. They cry for their children having to go to jail after killing innocents just to be jumped into a gang. They have no compassion for the VICTIMS so we need not have any for them.