Utah

2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting in his home

Comments

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    April 19, 2014 1:19 p.m.

My most heart-felt condolences to the family which is suffering incredibly right now. I can't image what they are going through right now, or the long-term effects this will have on them. The 3-year old needs to clearly learn over time that this was not her fault.

Please don't hide guns in the closet, under the bed or in a dresser drawer. Those who own guns should have a proper gun safe and use it.

• CBAX Provo, UT
    April 19, 2014 4:56 p.m.

Snip from the article:

"with a .22-caliber rifle that was used earlier in the day and then left in the living room of the home"

I found the problem. Let me highlight it.

".22-caliber rifle... left in the living room."

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    April 19, 2014 5:20 p.m.

Those who think anyone should have a gun anytime should rethink their position, too, perhaps.

There aren't any words that make sense of this terrible tragedy. I hope the best for the family. Certainly they are suffering a great deal right now. The saddest part is how absolutely preventable this type of accident is when using proper safeguards. That is what makes it likely almost unbearable. I feel sorry for them.

• Aggie5 Kuna, ID
    April 19, 2014 6:36 p.m.

Toosmart.
    This is a tragedy. A huge one. Please reframe from making the parents feel worse by choosing to own a firearm.

• Member Institute of Medicine Iowa City, IA
    April 19, 2014 7:40 p.m.

My condolences to the family regarding this tragic accident involving a gun. I agree that this specific incident should not be made an issue for the cause of gun control. However to facilitate learning from this unfortunate episode it is fair to point out that the scientific literature on the risks and benefits of having a gun in the home indicate that the health risk of a gun in the home is greater than the benefit. There is no credible evidence of a deterrent effect of firearms. However, the risk of harm to a family member far out weighs any protective effect from violence or break-in. Groups such as the American Academy of Pediatrics urge parents not to have guns in the home. While people are free to exercise their second amendment rights, it is not necessarily wise to do so. Instead of purchasing and using a gun safe, a reasonable alternative is to not purchase a gun.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    April 19, 2014 8:05 p.m.

This is so sad. However because we allow guns, we also allow people, even the weakest amoung us an effective way to defend themselves. Guns are like anything else, they can be used for good and bad and if the rules of gun handling are followed, they are safe.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 19, 2014 9:48 p.m.

Given the impossibility of legislating common sense, we can count on the "feel good" folks to demand legislation about gun storage. Of course that ignores the fact that too many people will still do foolish things, even if they are also illegal.

Then, we can wait and see if there is a County Attorney anywhere in the state who would actually file charges against a grieving parent who just lost a child as a result of their own negligence, and thereby "fix the problem."

Yes, this was a tragic, preventable accident, and simply following the gun safety rules long taught by the National Rifle Association would save lives.

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    April 19, 2014 9:53 p.m.

I feel sick to my stomach after reading this story. Heartbreaking!!

• Ben McRea Inverness, 00
    April 20, 2014 5:04 a.m.

The gun wasn't loaded but had rounds in the magazine? That's loaded. It may not have been made ready but it was fully loaded. Guns are not toys. The right to bear arms doesn't also include the right to be careless or irresponsible.

• TimBehrend Auckland NZ, 00
    April 20, 2014 6:22 a.m.

I found the problem. Let me highlight it. The family owned a gun. Their child would be alive now if they hadn't.

• Kings Court Alpine, UT
    April 20, 2014 7:30 a.m.

There is no worse punishment in life than regret and the grief that goes along with it. Let's not pile on and lecture this family on gun safety. I think they now understand this lesson more than most of us could possibly imagine.

May God bless them and help them through this difficult time.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    April 20, 2014 8:35 a.m.

A neighbour is quoted as saying "Just a pure accident". This tragedy was not an accident. It could have been prevented if the rifle had been properly stored.

• Koke Spanish Fork, UT
    April 20, 2014 8:59 a.m.

We are all careless, lazy, or stupid sometimes. Most of the time nothing happens. Just yesterday I was driving and looked away from the road at something (no it wasn't a phone) and started drifting. When I looked back up, I was startled to see I was crossing the lane toward another car. I quickly recovered, and nothing happened, but I felt stupid and only by the grace of God averted a terrible tragedy.

I knew the potential consequences when I took my eyes off the road, but I wasn't thinking about it at the moment. I was just being stupid and lazy. Most of such lapses pass without serious incidence, but sometimes they lead to a tragedy like this one.

I doubt that whoever left a loaded gun available to children thought much about it. Now they will think about it for the rest of their lives, the family may be torn apart, and that poor 3-year-old will need therapy forever.

We will all continue doing thoughtless things but this catastrophe reminds me that in some cases I must be perfectly vigilant in following wise practices with such things as guns or cars.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    April 20, 2014 9:20 a.m.

"I found the problem. Let me highlight it. The family owned a gun. Their child would be alive now if they hadn't"

One could make the same illogical argument about a car when someone dies in a car accident.

I disagree with the premise. Gun ownership is not at all the problem.
    Irresponsible gun ownership is.

• Aggie5 Kuna, ID
    April 20, 2014 12:33 p.m.

Sad to see some of these comments.
    I know of much more kids drowning than gun shots.

• McMurphy St George, Utah
    April 20, 2014 12:50 p.m.

@ Aggie 5
    How will me owning unloaded firearms in a safe make irresponsible parents feel worse?

@ Member Institute
    No credible evidence regarding gun ownership preventing crime --
    (1) More Guns Less Crime, 3rd edition, John R. Lott, Jr.
    (2) Tough Targets -- When Criminals Face Armed Resistance From Citizens. Clayton Cramer and David Burnett, Cato Institute, 2012
    (3) Armed Resistance to Crime: The Prevalence and Nature of Self-Defense With a Gun. Gary Kleck and March Gertz. Northwestern University School of Law, Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, vol 86, issue 1, 1995

• Tumbleweed Centerville, UT
    April 20, 2014 9:29 p.m.

Every parent, at some time in the raising of his or her child, has a lapse that could have caused death. Most of the time because of luck or the Grace of God, the children are spared death or serious injury - every parent whether by car, swimming pool, lawn mower, falling of an object, bike accident, whatever. For anyone who has ever been a parent to point their finger at these parents as a result of this one lapse is beyond cruel. The loss alone is punishment enough without self-righteous condemnation from those who have also been negligent from time to time but luckily were spared the heartbreak of the loss of a child. Dear Lord, please comfort this grieving family.

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Provo, UT
    April 20, 2014 9:41 p.m.

To all the people blaming this family:

If you own a kitchen knife which can just as easily kill someone... then by all means you are in an equal position by the logic you use against this family. Of course, I bet you all store knives in a safe place that toddlers can't access. As long as people do the same with guns, they are again in an equal standing as you.

Right now is a time of mourning and care for other human beings, not passing blame. Publicizing self-righteous moral stands are without condolence or love. Truly caring for the well-being of others doesn't amount to blaming others or taking moral stands. It amounts to mourning with those who mourn. Caring for people means caring more for the actual person than the principles surrounding their behavior. We all know bad things happen, unnecessarily even. But outrage helps no one. Love, believe it or not, actually does help people.

I'm as guilty as anyone at being quick to blame. We've all done it. But we need to be better. I've never seen it help anyone- ever.

• Kronk Blackfoot, ID
    April 21, 2014 1:31 a.m.

I have been close to several families that have lost children to gun accidents like this. It is always heartbreaking. We can debate these issues till the cows come home, but can you absolutely 100% guarantee that you will not accidentally leave your weapon where your little ones can reach it? If you have children, your guns belong off-site in a storage bay. You can argue with me, but you can't argue with my friends with dead children.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    April 21, 2014 8:23 a.m.

"If you own a kitchen knife which can just as easily kill someone"

Not true at all.

Just recently a kid brought 2 kitchen knives to school. Slashed or stabbed 21 people. Not one died.

Equating a kitchen knife in a drawer to a loaded gun in the living room is disingenuous at best.

While I am confident they exist, accidental stabbing deaths have to be pretty rare.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    April 21, 2014 8:26 a.m.

"However because we allow guns, we also allow people, even the weakest amoung us an effective way to defend themselves."

Really?

That little boy didn't have any way to defend himself, did he? As for the overused myth that "millions" of people use guns for defense every year, how about doing some research to learn the truth? That claim is pure fabrication.

• bobidaho SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 21, 2014 9:50 a.m.

My father had a few guns. He made us treat them as if they were loaded even when they were not. He stored the ammunition and the bolts in a locked ammunition box that was also hidden. They were not there to arm himself against a potential prowler. A good dog is a lot more effective at that. The good dog will not accidently shoot someone. Seems to me logical gun safety laws, and smaller clip laws and 100 percent background checks cannot be talked about when a tragedy occurs, and then is not important enough to discuss when the tragedy is past. It is interesting that the number of households with guns in them is declining, while the total number of guns is going up at a rapid rate. Guess the fearful ones need a lot of guns.

• Member Institute of Medicine Iowa City, IA
    April 21, 2014 5:41 p.m.

@ McMurphy
    I am familiar with the work you cite and I stand by my comment that there is "no credible evidence of a deterrent effect of firearms". I especially stand by my comments that "the risk of harm to a family member far out weighs any protective effect from violence or break-in and that groups such as the American Academy of Pediatrics urge parents not to have guns in the home." My main point is that the health risk to the home occupants of having a gun in the home far outweighs any health benefit, thus people should at least consider this point before bringing a gun into the home, particularly a home with children.

• Kendy831 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 21, 2014 8:16 p.m.

I do not personally know this family but my heart says they do not need criticism right now...or ever. They know what has happened and why and they will have the guilt to live with. They need compassion and support. I surely would not want to have to tell my daughter when she grows up that she shot and killed her brother. I am sure that these parents never imagined their 3-year-old would be able to fire the gun. Hopefully other parents will learn from this tragedy and prevent it from happening in their families.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    April 22, 2014 9:05 a.m.

"I am sure that these parents never imagined their 3-year-old would be able to fire the gun."

Yeah, see that's the problem. They never imagined. How do you NOT imagine that a child can fire a loaded gun?

And what's with all these people claiming people cannot be 100% responsible? I guarantee that responsible people can 100% of the time keep loaded guns out of the reach of children. In fact, it really is not difficult.

But, anyway, if you leave a loaded gun out and a child is killed with it you should be charged with a crime. even if you feel really bad. For those people that don't think you should, would it change your mind if it was a neighbor's child that had been killed? Or your child that had been killed because a neighbor had left a gun out?

People need to be held legally responsible for their guns.