BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters BYU's defensive back depth after transfer from Nebraska

Comments

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    April 17, 2014 4:02 p.m.

Knowing the BYU coaching staff I'm sure he hasn't been promised a starting spot but the opportunity to compete alongside the other players. Good luck to him!

• SkookumDon Tacoma, WA
    April 17, 2014 4:07 p.m.

While Harvey may not be a starter, he should add quality depth. Can you ever have too many good defensive backs, especially with the rash of injuries BYU's had in the secondary the past couple of years? Its great to see transfers coming in from quality programs.

• Challenge to the Foe Fargo, ND
    April 17, 2014 4:16 p.m.

This is a great pick-up for the Cougars. Harvey Jackson should compete immediately for playing time, and will help out Trent Trammel and the other talent in BYU's secondary. Like I've said before, if BYU can get a win in Texas then the Cougars will likely be in a playoff spot at the end of the season.

Rise Up!

• Funny/witty screen name Orem, UT
    April 17, 2014 4:19 p.m.

Good news for the cougs!! We have struggled mightily lately in the secondary. This year will be a very strong secondary. Things are looking good. Hopefully we wont have very many injuries in fall.
    Go cougs!

• jzzlvr Salt Lake City, UT
    April 17, 2014 4:29 p.m.

This article didn't do a good job explaining if he'll be able to play right away, and if so, why is he able to play right away. Is he one of those that graduated already?

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    April 17, 2014 4:55 p.m.

@jzzlvr

Article stated that he graduated in construction management. Looks like a good pickup for the Cougs. I would think he has an opportunity to start.

• Stop The Nonsense El Paso, TX
    April 17, 2014 5:07 p.m.

@jzzlvr - Yes, he graduated and will play immediately.

He should definitely increase our depth/athleticism in the secondary, whether it be as a starter or a backup. Thrilled to have you, Harvey! Welcome to Cougar Nation!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 17, 2014 5:41 p.m.

@Challenge to the Foe

----------

As far as Jackson, it can't hurt to have depth specially at your weakest position on defense. It will be interesting to see if he becomes a starter.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    April 17, 2014 6:34 p.m.

Welcome Harvey and best wishes for a great experience in Provo on and off the field.

In my way too early to call prediction, I see the Y going 9-3 this year...I think the Houston game is a trap game since the Y will be playing on a very short turnaround.

Finally, I'm respectfully seeking an explanation of the logic behind the Big 5 and Power Conference monikers (admitting that logic doesn't typically play in a world where the Big 10 has 12 teams and the Big 12 has 10).

If there are only 4 seats at the playoff table how can there be a Big 5? Simple arithmetic dictates that at least one of those conferences will be left on the sidelines. And if you don't have an automatic birth for your conference champion, exactly what is "Power" that you have.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    April 17, 2014 6:51 p.m.

Uteology
    East Salt Lake City, Utah

Nice balanced comment on the whole. Thanks for attending! Not sure Safety is our weakest spot on defense, but good opinion well stated.

Undefeated will NOT cut it (but it would sure be nice!). Undefeated and top ten is still on the outside looking in. All the dominoes would have to tip just right including six to ten teams ahead of that mythical undefeated team losing and losing at the right time.

So let's take it one game at a time and let post season take care of itself.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    April 17, 2014 7:21 p.m.

Welcome aboard Harvey Jackson. Not only he will play but will teach our secondaries. Good pickup!
    And yes, he will be a starter.

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    April 17, 2014 7:40 p.m.

Sounds like a good pick up at a much needed position. Too bad he only has one year left.

• Whitebread Platte City, MO
    April 17, 2014 7:46 p.m.

Are you kidding me??? He better be a starter for sure!

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    April 17, 2014 8:12 p.m.

Wow, how did a non LDS player from a Big 5 conference even find BYU? I thought BYU was a DII school? Welcome to BYU Harvey!!! Make your senior year one to remember!!!

• Scores Idaho Falls, ID
    April 17, 2014 9:14 p.m.

The nice thing about this is....the Cougars get three graduates from other universities, and it doesn't even take a scholarship off the table. With the depth they have already, and if two of these three become impact players, which I think they will, watch out baby, this could be a special season on the horizon!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 17, 2014 11:06 p.m.

This will be the best and deepest the Cougs have been in the defensive backfield for many, many years. Welcome aboard Mr. Jackson. Most years, the LBs are the strength of the defense. This year the DBs will be the strength, although the LBs won't be far behind.

I don't mean to be the water on the fire, but as for some of the comments - I don't think the Cougs will go undefeated. I'm predicting a 10 win regular season. And even if the Cougs do go undefeated, I don't think they have a shot at the top 4 with the schedule they have.

In the future, if they have a schedule like they had last year, and go undefeated, they'll have a shot at the top 4. But an undefeated season in 2014 would likely land them in a more prestigious bowl than the Fight Hunger or Poinsettia.

Regardless, any bowl game is better than staying home and bowling in December. Just ask our neighbors to the North.

• jzzlvr Salt Lake City, UT
    April 17, 2014 11:15 p.m.

Just an FYI...the article was completely different when I made my comment...didn't say anything about him graduating, as it definitely does now.

• TFUDD SLC, UT
    April 18, 2014 12:27 a.m.

@Scores. Just because they've gotten their degree doesn't mean they won't take classes or get a scholarship. I bet each one of them will get a scholarship because you can't just attend a school to play sports and not take any classes.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    April 18, 2014 2:30 a.m.

Welcome to Cougarville Harvey... It will be very exciting for us fans to have someone with your resume on our team... This is one fan really looking forward to cheering for you this year...

I know that you will be a big contributor and I hope that your experience on and off the field is as good for you this year as your play on the field will be for us fans.

I hope you land that big job that you're looking for be it with a top line Construction Company or an NFL franchise... or both.

• cmsense Kaysville, UT
    April 18, 2014 7:26 a.m.

Thanks Harvey for picking BYU! You look like a great player and I wouldn't be surprized if you are a starter. I hope you have a great experience at BYU!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 18, 2014 9:28 a.m.

Nice pick up for the Cougs. The way our secondary is shaping up this year (barring injuries...knock on wood) we should be able to be a lot more aggressive with our front seven and blitz a lot more. That was part of our problem last year was how thin we were back there. This year is a different story. Welcome aboard Harvey! Our LBs thank you for joining a talented secondary that will allow them to wreak the kind of havok they thrive on.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    April 18, 2014 10:43 a.m.

Welcome Mr. Jackson.

I am excited to have you join BYU's program. It will be nice, as Bronco indicated, to have someone of your character. In addition to your character you will be able to bring to BYU the pride, tradition, sportsmanship and integrity that Nebraska football and fans are so well known for. A secular school whose fan base shows good sportsmanship to even their rival. This will be such a great benefit to BYU fans to set an example of integrity, even at a sporting event. Congratulations on your decision and best of luck.

Go Utes

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    April 18, 2014 10:55 a.m.

"One good win will not get you into a playoff spot, over a Big 5 team. In fact, only TCU finished in the top 4 twice (2009 and 2010) in the regular season in the current era.

I think BYU has a great chance of making a BCS game. I see them going 10-2, maybe 11-1."

The reason BYU has a good chance at going (10-2) or (11-1) is their schedule this coming season isn't as difficult as that of this past season. I do think they'll be a better team but, this schedule may not allow them to show it late.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 18, 2014 1:26 p.m.

Wookie:
    Looks like your first post and my response didn't make the cut so I will respond as you did with less of an edge.

All I will say is that unsportsmanlike conduct goes both ways in any rivalry. Not long ago ND & USC nearly ended their rivalry because of vitriol both on and off the field. I don't know about USC but ND fans are some of the classiest I've ever met, and even their catholic fans got into it with USC fans. It's unfortunate that rivalries cause people to lose their heads sometimes but pointing BYU out for criticism seems pretty disingenuous. Both Utah and BYU fans have done stupid, shameful things during this rivalry but I believe are pretty classy fans otherwise.