CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker reportedly looking at transferring to BYU

Comments

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    April 15, 2014 12:11 p.m.

Former starter, current displaced "power conference" player, looks to BYU. "Why" you ask?

“I’ve researched BYU and think I’m a good fit because I don’t have character issues,” Jackson told TotalBlueSports. “I have good character and when I was at Nebraska I did a lot of good things around the community. I like to show good leadership by example. I have good friends and I’m around a good crowd and I stay out of trouble. I try to be good on and off the field and have good grades. ... You know, I took on a tough major while playing football. I think BYU is a place that fits me really well.”

Could be!

• phantomblade Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 15, 2014 12:47 p.m.

Harvey Jackson was a 3-star recruit who received OFFERS from Nebraska, Arizona State, Baylor, Duke, Houston, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Purdue, Rice, SMU, and ... wait for it ...

Utah

Of course, now that he's considering transferring to BYU, our resident Utah trolls will claim that he runs a 10 flat 40 and can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 15, 2014 1:53 p.m.

Unlike most byu fans, I can call it both ways, and I don't change my criteria for when someone seems like a good player or not.

He certainly had some nice offers out of high school.

Too bad for byu he only has one year of eligibility left.

It is interesting to note he didn't even get on the field(or if he didn't he didn't record a single stat) the past 5 games of the season. So hopefully byu fans likewise can acknowledge he's probably an average player at this point(if you disagree, are you saying that third string Nebraska players are superior to most byu players?)

• Lifelong Ute Salt Lake City, UT
    April 15, 2014 1:54 p.m.

Zero playing time lately at Nebraska, but likely expects significant playing time in Provo. Shows what kind of talent gap there is between the two.

• nhatch82 Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 15, 2014 2:58 p.m.

What were the stats again for the Oklahoma transfer?

• deductive reasoning Arlington, VA
    April 15, 2014 3:14 p.m.

Chris B / Lifelong Ute / and other Utah trolls

"It is interesting to note he didn't even get on the field (or if he didn't he didn't record a single stat) the past 5 games of the season."

Remind us how many times Kendall Thompson, Utah's heir apparent QB, got on the field and how many stats he recorded in his entire career at Oklahoma.

Here, I'll help:

STATS - COMP-ATT-YDS-TD-INT
    2013 --- 4 - 13 - 64 - 1 - 1
    Career - 4 - 13 - 64 - 1 - 1

The inconsistency of the kids on the hill when it comes to evaluating BYU and Utah players is hilarious.

• DeepBlue Anaheim, CA
    April 15, 2014 3:20 p.m.

Most fans would agree that it's infinitely easier to plug a transfer senior safety into a defense, than a transfer sophomore quarterback.

Except, of course, those living under the crimson bubble who are convinced that Kyle is a magician at managing his quarterbacks.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 15, 2014 3:22 p.m.

Chris B & Lifelong Ute:
    Do you guys know how good Nebraska's secondary has been the last few years? Yeah there's a talent gap between them and most programs including Utah (where BYU has already had superior talent to Utah at the safety position). They've had multiple draft picks in their secondary the last couple years and two studs at safety right now. Jackson was a starter at the beginning of last year and certainly had limited playing time toward the end of the year but that's because of the talent he was up against which is superior to most programs. Maybe he'll choose BYU and maybe he'll start, but maybe he won't, we'll see.

I know one thing's for sure I would take this guy over Eric Rowe and how poorly he performed last year. At Nebraska Rowe would probably make the scout team if he was lucky. Don't be jealous because Utah didn't get Jackson when they need all the help they can get in the secondary right now. How was that defense against the pass last year? 109th at 267 a game!? Ouch

• Ute buster Salt Lake City, UT
    April 15, 2014 4:02 p.m.

The bigger question is how many QB's will transfer from Utah when they don't get any reps? My guess 3 this year leaving two qb's which will be injured in the first three games.

April 15, 2014 4:22 p.m.

"What were the stats again for the Oklahoma transfer?" -- nhatch82

"Remind us how many times Kendall Thompson, Utah's heir apparent QB, got on the field..." -- deductive reasoning

Keep in mind that there were 2 MAJOR obstacles that kept Oklahoma QB Kendal Thompson off the field:

(1) Kendal was a QB. Outside of Special Teams plays -- where there are no QBs -- there is only ONE QB on the field per play. Conversely, there can be multiple Safeties per play, and typically play two.

(2) Kendal was sidelined due to an injury in the preseason, and that impacted his ability to practice and compete for the starting position. Harvey on the other hand was sidelined due to being not as good as the other Safeties on the 1st and 2nd team depth charts.

• Lifelong Ute Salt Lake City, UT
    April 15, 2014 4:26 p.m.

@cougsndawgs, Your prolific go fast go hard offense with Taysom didn't do much against the 109th pass defense last year, at home no less.

Ouch indeed

April 15, 2014 4:51 p.m.

Cougsndawgs:

"I would take this guy over Eric Rowe and how poorly he performed last year."

No, you'd take this guy over Rowe because you don't have the option to get Rowe in lieu Jackson. Rowe isn't interested in playing that small ball brand the cougars are resigned to. And since you brought up last year's performance, here are some measurable that compare these 2 Safeties:

Jackson registered 34 total tackles (20 solo, 14 assisted), 0 sacks, and 0 passes defended. Vs. UCLA, he registered 5 tackles (4 solo, 1 assisted).

Rowe registered 68 total tackles (41 solo, 27 assisted), 0.5 sacks, and 6 passes defended. Vs. UCLA, he registered 7 tackles (5 solo, 2 assisted).

If we only credited Rowe with his 1st eight games, his stats would reflect 47 total tackles (32 solo, 15 assisted) and 5 passes defended.

So whether we review Rowe's season totals, per-game averages, 1st eight games, or vs. UCLA, Jackson failed to outperform Rowe in ANY metric. And that's DESPITE Nebraska having played a much easier schedule than Utah.

• Darren Rowe Heber City, UT
    April 15, 2014 5:21 p.m.

First of all, Nebraska usually has an outstanding secondary, so Jackson, even though he may not have been their best secondary player, still got decent playing time in a great position group. I would consider this transfer similar to a Stanford backup tight end, a Wisconsin backup running back, or maybe an Oklahoma backup QB, like Kendall Thompson.

Having said that, I disagree with the ute fans who think BYU and Nebraska have such a talent gap that Jackson will be the star. BYU always has good safeties, and this year we have a good overall secondary. Craig Bills and Robertson Daniel will still be the starters, and Jackson can join Dallin Leavitt as a backup safety/nickleback. He will get playing time, but it won't be much more than at BYU.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 15, 2014 6:33 p.m.

Just building some athletic depth, sounds good to me.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    April 15, 2014 7:15 p.m.

Me thinks Navel Vet protesteth too much. Jackson's transfer to BYU was good for both, why all the rhetoric? Why not wish him well?

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 15, 2014 7:17 p.m.

Lifelong:
    I don't know that you want to talk about BYU and TH's performance against Utah. BYU out gained Utah (again) with 443 total yards. And TH passed for 260 & ran for a hundred...yeah, I guess for ute fans that's a great defensive performance...ouch indeed.

NV:
    Everything you said disproved nothing about what I said. Yes, Rowe had more stats than Jackson because he started every game and was on the field more for a team that was 109th against the pass. Jackson played for Nebraska with a much better, more talented secondary than Utah, not only limiting his starts but also his playing time...limited minutes means less stats any way you slice it...I believe that was my point wasn't it? And, no, I don't want Rowe thank you very much...we had better safeties than him last year and will again this year. And maybe Rowe does prefer playing little boy ball in a big boy conference like Utah and getting beaten every other week. He might wish he could play at the Y when his post seasons in uteville have been so dismal. Too bad BYU doesn't need him.

• BO Holladay, UT
    April 15, 2014 7:35 p.m.

Why the arguing? The fans of these two above average teams are hilarious. Just grow up and enjoy your teams success. Be charitable to your opponents. That's what it have learned from fans of great programs.

• Guam_Bomb BARRIGADA, GU
    April 15, 2014 7:53 p.m.

It's interesting to see how college football is evolving over the last couple of years. Talented kids like Jackson who aren't getting the opportunities they want are almost acting like free agents in the pros. In the past, they would just play out their eligibility. Now, they're going elsewhere and it seems that coaches are releasing those kids to open up scholarships. It's a win win.

I hope he contributes next season.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 15, 2014 7:54 p.m.

Naval Vet

More rationalization about why it's a big deal that BYU's Nebraska recruit didn't get any stats last year, yet it's no big deal that Utah's Oklahoma recruit also didn't get any stats?

Here's a clue:

Utah continues to shoot themselves in the foot at QB by insisting on experimenting with things that no other program would even consider.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 15, 2014 7:55 p.m.

BO:
    You obviously haven't attended games against bitter rivals involving fans of great programs. Georgia v Florida is much more bitter both in the stands and on comment boards than BYU v Utah. Ever seen a USC v ND game or followed the trash talking they throw at each other.? This is tame, believe me. It gets bitter and below the belt at times here, but I think I can speak for others when I say it doesn't affect our day or ruin our night...nothing wrong with a little rivalry banter IMO.

• backpacn Sandy, UT
    April 15, 2014 8:02 p.m.

Naval Vet

Despite your whiny excuses, it still doesn't change the fact that Kendall Thompson has absolutely no experience as a starting QB at the D1 college level, yet U foolishly think that you can plug someone like that into a brand new offense in just a few short weeks during fall camp and expect him to compete against PAC 12 defenses?

• Elk Hair Caddis Sandy, UT
    April 15, 2014 8:23 p.m.

Clearly more than a football decision. This is a life style choice for the All Big Ten Academic scholar athlete.

Good for him.

He is not the first and will not be the last to come to BYU for the unique culture at the school.

April 15, 2014 8:32 p.m.

Cougarista:

"Me thinks Navel Vet protesteth too much."

Me thinks Cougarista just read my post wherein Rowe proved to be a substantially superior Safety to Jackson, had nothing of substance to counter with, panicked, then threw out a butchered, red herring Shakespeare quote as his only deflection.

April 15, 2014 8:40 p.m.

Cougsndawgs:

"Everything you said disproved nothing about what I said."

On the contrary, it DID. You said, "I would take this guy over Eric Rowe and how poorly he performed last year." Yet I demonstrated that Rowe's last year was superior to Jackson's. And if you cite Rowe's "last year" as a reason for preferring Jackson -- and you DID -- then the fact that Rowe's "last year" being superior to Jackson's means that you would not have wanted Jackson either. And since you compared the two Safeties as though you had a choice as to whom you'd take, and implied that you'd take the better of the two -- which you DID -- then I did in fact disprove that you would have taken Jackson.

And for what it's worth, the fact that Rowe started every game, whereas Jackson did not, is irrelevant. Because if you reread what I wrote, I also compared apples to apples -- using Rowe's first 8-games, and compared it to Jackson's, and I also compared Rowe's and Jackson's common opponent: both Utah and Nebraska faced UCLA at Home.

And Rowe's game stats > Jackson's.

April 15, 2014 8:43 p.m.

Uteanymous:

"I'd be much more concerned about anointing a transfer with no stats to be my starting QB, especially one who won't even be joining the program until summer, than I would working a transfer safety with no stats into the rotation."

That sounds like a straw man. Can you provide even ONE post wherein I anointed ANY QB for this fall?

I thought not.

So guess your point is that you have no point.

April 15, 2014 8:48 p.m.

backwacn:

"Naval Vet...U foolishly think that you can plug someone like that into a brand new offense in just a few short weeks during fall camp and expect him to compete against PAC 12 defenses?"

You and Uteanymous seem to be on the same "straw man" assault mission. Where had I ever said -- or even IMPLIED -- that KT was destined to start for the U after he checks on campus in the Fall?

I've clearly frustrated the two of you with my air tight case that Rowe > Jackson, so you've resorted to the weakest of all arguments: the ones each of you "imagined".

• Whatsnu Sandy, UT
    April 15, 2014 8:54 p.m.

Me thinks Naval Vet is grasping at straws trying to assuage his anguished jealousy over another prized recruit transferring to BYU.

• Hatch Sandy, UT
    April 15, 2014 9:23 p.m.

Interesting statistic:

Most recent UTE article on a Transfer athlete (Gionni Paul) generated 3 BYU fan Comments. 9.5% of all comments. One BYU comment was derogatory.

Most recent BYU article on a Transfer athlete (Jackson) has at this point generated 11 UTE fan comments. 41% of all comments. 9 of the 11 are derogatory.

• TroyTown Anaheim, CA
    April 15, 2014 9:23 p.m.

Naval Vet

"Can you provide even ONE post wherein I anointed ANY QB for this fall?"

He doesn't need to; your new offensive coordinator has already made it clear that Kendall Thompson will be your new starting QB unless he completely bombs in fall camp.

Of course, since you think you know more about the height and weight of BYU's new QB recruit, than his own mother, you probably think you know more about who will be Utah's new starting QB than Utah's OC.

April 15, 2014 9:32 p.m.

CougarTown:

So in other words, what you're saying is, neither you, backwacn, nor Uteanymous can identify a single quote from me wherein I'd picked Utah's starting QB in the fall. I thought not.

P.S.: Just because some anonymous poster "claims" to be the mother of some 0-star recruit, that doesn't mean it's true.

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    April 15, 2014 9:45 p.m.

The fact that Naval Vet is responding so much shows that his cage was rattled. You lose. Try better next time.

• scott Alpine, UT
    April 15, 2014 9:50 p.m.

Naval Vet

Just because you claim that Hayden is the same height and weight as he was last summer doesn't make it true.

As TroyTown already pointed out, it was Dave Christensen who all but anointed Kendall Thompson to be Utah's new starting QB.

- Kyle Whittingham characterized the starting role as Wilson's to lose, but Christensen seems to relish the idea that the quarterback depth chart may not be decided until the fall.

- Thompson was recruited by Christensen

- Thompson's skill set is similar to guys Christensen has had in the past

- Said Christensen, "You have to have a guy who can protect the football, that is the most important thing. You want someone who doesn't hurt the football team and can make great decisions and execute an up-tempo offense."

Clearly, he wasn't talking about Travis Wilson, who was a virtual turnover machine last season.

Believe what you want, but Thompson is clearly the player that Christensen expects to be his starting QB in 2014.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    April 15, 2014 10:07 p.m.

WOW, if someone is having such a complete meltdown about a former Cornhusker reportedly only looking at transferring to BYU, just imagine the hysteria it's going to create when Harvey Jackson actually commits to coming to BYU.

btw, Jackson sounds like a great young man, with high standards and great athleticism, who would be a great addition to BYU's football program.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 15, 2014 10:18 p.m.

Cougsndawgs

"TH passed for 260 & ran for a hundred."

You do realize that stats mean very little when your boy couldn't get it in the end zone, right?

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    April 15, 2014 10:35 p.m.

motorbike

• JD Las Vegas, NV
    April 15, 2014 11:01 p.m.

Comparing stats is ridiculous. Remember that BYU played 3 pretty horrible football teams last year and 6 games against non-BCS schools. When the opponent is so bad that they barely win a game or two the entire season, the stats are skewed, they mean nothing. Reno, Idaho State, and Virginia really helped pad the stats.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 16, 2014 12:27 a.m.

skywalker

"Taysom got it in the end zone enough to win 8 games and lead BYU to its 9th straight bowl game, which is more than can be said of Wilson."

And that had exactly what to do with my comment or that of Cougsndawgs? Stay on target.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    April 16, 2014 2:05 a.m.

@ skywalker

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    April 16, 2014 7:12 a.m.

2fer

Aren't you forgetting that Taysom started the season coming off of season-ending knee surgery after only starting 3 games his Freshman season, plus BYU was installing a brand new offense, plus his first start was on the road in freaky weather conditions that could have thrown off any quarterback's timing and accuracy.

Give credit where credit is due - Taysom finished the season strong; Travis, on the other hand, after a strong start against Weber St,steadily declined throughout the season until he was finally benched, and you can't attribute all of his decline to injuries.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 16, 2014 8:35 a.m.

NV:
    Maybe your understanding of "apples to apples" is different than mine (or anyone else's). There was nothing apples to apples about your argument. Comparing like opponents and seasons with individual players isn't apples to apples and you know it. Even if Jackson has started the whole season, Rowe was on the field far more (hardly left the field) than Jackson. Utah's defense wasn't as good as Nebraska's which means they were on the field more and had more opportunities to rack up stats. Jackson was rotating between 4 safeties while Rowe never left the field...like I DID say more minutes means more stats. Now if you had a stat that compared production and avg minutes on the field then THAT would be apples to apples. I've watched both Jackson & Rowe play...yes I think Jackson is a better player with more athleticism than Rowe. That's my opinion, does that bother you?

• nhatch82 Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 16, 2014 3:53 p.m.

@TwoFer

"I'm not sure that's a completely fair comparison. Wilson was sidelined for the season with a medical condition. He very well could have taken Utah back to a bowl if he stayed healthy."

I am fairly confident throwing six picks in one game will not get you to a bowl game.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    April 16, 2014 4:53 p.m.

It's hysterical to see Naval cry about a hypothetical contract, while utah has big news about their mascot being an actual contract.

Avoiding your team; commenting on another = obsessed with other team.

As always, you boost the stats of people reading and commenting on BYU articles. May many, MANY more come because of those like you. Thanks for your support. You bring more articles for you, me, and all of us to read about BYU.

Hope he commits. The irony of choosing blue after playing with red will be rich to see!

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    April 16, 2014 6:16 p.m.

@ Sports fan

I'm not forgetting, but Taysom coming off an injury is completely irrelevant because he was able to play in all games in 2013, whereas Travis was not. Hence the reason I said the comparison wasn't completely fair. I'm not taking anything away from Taysom. My post wasn't even about him. I agree that you can't attribute all of Wilson's struggles to injuries. A large part of his problems are due to the fact that he played against very difficult teams week in and week out.

@ nhatch82

Throwing 6 ints will certainly make it more difficult to win that particular game, but that's only one loss. It won't necessarily disqualify a team from a bowl game. Sometimes good QB's get bitten by the turnover bug. See: Max Hall

• GD Syracuse, UT
    April 16, 2014 8:27 p.m.

Good luck to Utah and BYU. I hope they both do well.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 17, 2014 10:44 a.m.

Striker:

"It's hysterical to see Naval cry about a hypothetical contract..."

Wait, what? Oh,...I get it. It's another one of those "straw man" arguments from the army of cougar fans with nothing of substance to debate other than the ones they've completely totally imagined for themselves. Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of that.

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    April 17, 2014 12:08 p.m.

Naval Vet
    Philadelphia, PA

'Striker:
    'It's hysterical to see Naval cry about a hypothetical contract...'

"Wait, what? Oh,...I get it. It's another one of those 'straw man' arguments from the army of cougar fans with nothing of substance to debate...."

Naval....who is offering substance for debate? I assert that Rowe had the better statistics because the other teams ran and threw at his side and position.

Now, as Matt Damon famously stated: "How do you like them apples?" We'll all await the corrections to your arguments.

April 17, 2014 1:49 p.m.

Old But Not Stupid:

You "assert", but offer no support? Okay then...I assert that other teams did NOT prefer to throw at his side and position. And since we don't have support our assertions, we can pretty much just say whatever sounds good, right? Is that how you all debate down there in Provo?

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    April 17, 2014 11:32 p.m.

@navelvet

It's laughable how obsessed you are with the stats of a Safety who might be transferring to BYU and may not even be a starter, considering how dismissive you are about the stats of a transfer who will probably be Utah's starting QB next season.

btw, I'm pretty sure Moorpark, CA is no where near Provo.

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    April 18, 2014 9:38 a.m.

Naval

skywalker is correct. He must have studied geography.

You expose the shallowness of your argument to say Rowe accumulated relatively LARGE stats because opponents "ran away" from him. You appear to miss the point that your position is merely the other side of the same coin....for me to "assert" that Jackson had SMALLER stats for the same reason (because opponents ran away from him). Does that sound logical to you?

I'll suggest that in the universe of likelihoods my "unfounded" assertion holds just as much water as your labored but misapplication of your facts. For example, Van Noy's senior year stats were less impressive than his junior year. But I don't hear that smart people (NFL scouts/etc.) have lost interest in VN.

Your model does not incorporate this real world "metric" while professional talent evaluators appear to have done so.

Others have noted the interesting volume and tenor of crimson posters regarding a matter that has NOTHING to do with Ute football or Rowe. This is a pathetic and sad situation.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 18, 2014 10:09 a.m.

Old But Not Stupid:
    In fairness I'm the one who brought up Rowe.

I also pointed out to Naval Vet that Rowe was on the field more whether Jackson started or not so comparing like games or parts of the season aren't an apples to apples argument. Nebraska had a better defense, so wasn't on the field as much as Utah, and Jackson was rotating with four other safeties for playing time while Rowe hardly left the field. NV thinks that his stats showing like games or points of the season is an "apples to apples" argument. My analysis above shows it most certainly isn't but NV hasn't answered me on that so maybe he agrees?

In any case, I think Jackson is a great pick up for BYU that will provide depth and talent in the secondary. I shouldn't have brought up Rowe to antagonize the crimson club. My apologies.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 18, 2014 12:13 p.m.

skywalker:

"btw, I'm pretty sure Moorpark, CA is no where near Provo."

BTW, I'm sure that has absolutely nothing to do with anything I'd ever said, on any article, in either of Utah's major media publications. So what's your point?

Old But Not Stupid:

There was nothing "shallow" in my argument that Rowe > Jackson. My point was in exposing the shallowness of YOUR point, wherein you just say whatever feels good to say, and don't/can't support it.

April 18, 2014 1:14 p.m.

Cougsndawgs:

"Nebraska had a better defense, so wasn't on the field as much as Utah...My analysis above shows it most certainly isn't but NV hasn't answered me on that so maybe he agrees?"

I'm not sure what your "analysis" demonstrated, as it offered no hard data. And for the record, I do NOT agree with you. You claim Nebraska had a better defense, so here's the numbers:

NEBRASKA...
    Scoring Defense: 24.8 ppg
    Total Defense: 370.8 ypg

UTAH...
    Scoring Defense: 28.0 ppg
    Total Defense: 397.7 ypg

THAT's how you do analysis -- with "measurable"; not "feel-good opinions".

So was UNL's defense superior to Utah's because they held their opponents to 26.9 fewer ypg, and 3.2 fewer ppg?

Not necessarily.

Nebraska's defensive stats could have been aided by playing less prolific offenses.

Utah's opponents' season averages totaled 444.0-yds and 33.1-pts per game, whereas Nebraska's opponents averaged 387.1 and 27.1 respectively. That's a difference of Utah's opponents' season averages of 56.9 MORE yds, and 6 MORE points per game.

All in all, I demonstrated "real" analysis, whereas you demonstrated none.

Edge: Naval Vet's analysis.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 18, 2014 2:02 p.m.

NV:
    So you cherry pick one variable of what I said but not the other? Nebraska's secondary ranked 33rd against the pass at 214.6 yards a game while Utah's ranked 109th at 267.3. Yes that's only a difference of 53 yards but that also the difference between 7-12 plays in a game...and obviously a huge difference in rank.

Now to the other variable you conveniently didn't address. Jackson was rotating with 4 safeties while Rowe was always on the field. More minutes, more stats...more yards given up passing (as demonstrated in the above stats) equals more opportunities for tackles by safeties. If you couldn't see that analysis or what it demonstrates is that my fault? Even without Nebraska's superior stats defensively, a player who gets less time on the field isn't going to have as many stats. That sounds like "real" analysis that demonstrates plenty.

And what does playing less prolific offenses have to do with it? Are you suggesting that Rowe spent MORE TIME ON THE FIELD because he was up against more prolific offenses? Thanks for proving my point.

Edge: Cougsndawg's analysis.

April 18, 2014 2:54 p.m.

Cougsndawgs:

Teams put their best players on the field. If Jackson saw less time, it was because he was an inferior Safety. Jackson didn't even play in the last 5 games of Nebraska's season. And he wasn't injured.

Nebraska may have held their opponents to 53 fewer yards/game, but that's likely because they didn't face as prolific an offense as the one's Utah had faced. Just look at the UCLA game -- our only common opponent. Nebraska held them to 294-yds passing, whereas Utah held them to 218; or 76 FEWER yards passing. UCLA also put up 504 total yds, and 41-pts, whereas Utah again fared better by holding them to 100 fewer total yards, and 7 fewer points. Simply put, Utah faced more "Hundleys" than Nebraska did.

And since I DIDN'T suggest Rowe was on the field more because we faced more prolific offenses, I then did NOT prove your point. Rowe spent more time on the field because he was one of our best Safeties, and coaches like to put their best players on the field for as much time as possible.