Faith

Wright Words: Despite horrific fire, Mormon couple has inspiring message for the world

Comments

• Xbalanque DC, VA
    April 15, 2014 11:35 a.m.

Touching and inspirational message. Many blessings wished to this family.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    April 15, 2014 12:17 p.m.

It has nothing to do with god. It is just a random event. Good that they can try to find the good out of it, but if I lost a child the last think I would be doing would be thanking god

• Mom Avery South Jordan, UT
    April 15, 2014 12:18 p.m.

Thank you, Jason, for reaching out to our family and for sharing their story with such sensitivity and clarity. Dirk and Naomi bless our lives as examples of unparalleled faith and strength. God TRULY loves us, and "all things work together for good to them that love God."

• 2020 Herriman, UT
    April 15, 2014 1:30 p.m.

@Brahmabull - It's hard to type tone, so I want it realized that I am not saying this defensively, or aggressively, just simply stating, "that's because you don't get it."

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    April 15, 2014 2:22 p.m.

2020

I do get it. People need to look for something in the face of tragedy... that I get. But in the story the mom claims to know the child is in heaven doing missionary work - that kind of talk is just feel good stuff, as there is no way to know that. It is just a wild guess.

• Moontan Roanoke, VA
    April 15, 2014 3:16 p.m.

A very poignant story. May the peace that surpasses all understanding embrace this family.

@Brahmabull ... An inappropriate time for such remarks, maybe? Would you sit with the parents at the table and say that?

• Grandpaof19 riverton, UT
    April 15, 2014 3:29 p.m.

May God bless this family for their strength and courage. I can't imagine losing a home and a child at the same time.

Please @Brahmabull you really don't get it do you. As members of our church we believe God speaks to us through the Holy Ghost, and because of that it is more than a guess where their child, because it is actual personal revelation.

God bless the Avery Family.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    April 15, 2014 7:56 p.m.

So, How did the baby die. Was it in the fire or something else that happened. Sorry for their loss. I know what it's like for everything be flat and black
    . That's how I know that Good people give good gifts. The greatest gift is your presents. you become immortal by how long your presents is appreciated after you've left.

• Mom Avery South Jordan, UT
    April 15, 2014 10:26 p.m.

Yes, @George of the jungle, little Eleanor died in the fire. Naomi was able to get the other children to safety, but the house collapsed before she could get Eleanor out. The fire department said the house was gone in less than 7 minutes, and that it was the worst fire they'd seen in 20 years.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    April 15, 2014 11:47 p.m.

Moontan/Grandpaof19

Yeah, you are both right. This was a bad time for me to interject those things. My, bad and I do apologize. That was stupid. My heart really does ache when I hear of children dying - and I always wonder why it happens and I have yet to find an answer. Condolences to the family, and disregard my previous foolish remark.

• Moontan Roanoke, VA
    April 16, 2014 8:01 a.m.

@Bramabull ... Nice post. Good on you. Sadly, and frustratingly, we aren't going to get all the answers to questions generated by tragedies such as this one. Seems like the loss of a child ought to be in a separate category, set aside and off-limits. Not allowed to happen, in other words. Alas. I don't think Christ came to prevent misery in life, but to teach us how to live through it without going totally bonkers. Anyway, nice post.

• Mom of ten SANBORNTON, NH
    April 17, 2014 7:30 a.m.

Bramabull, How does someone prove that they know what love or hate feels like? They use words, but words cannot fully describe a feeling that they know in their hearts to be true. It is the same with feeling that come from God to our hearts and souls. No one will ever be able to communicate in words exactly what is felt in the heart and soul.